PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Help me gen a Doddering Old Fool

Avaris
2011-03-16, 11:21 AM
Ok, I'm currently creating a character to join a long-running 3.5 campaign following the death of my previous character (a fairly ineffective paladin). For a while I've had the concept in mind of an old man whose main role is to look after/entertain the 'children' i.e. the rest of the party. For example, they need shelter? Leomunds Secure Shelter I was intending to have a Staff of Healing as a walking stick, but I gather I need to actually have healing spells on my spell list to use it...

The thing is, I'm fairly inexperienced with creating decent characters for D&D. I don't necessarily mean optimised; I'd like something fun. Currently I'm looking at either a Beguiler, Sorceror or Bard, though I'm open to suggestions. Any help and advice people can give me would be greatly appreciated!

For reference, I potentially have access to all the major sourcebooks. The gm is allowing me to advance the character along the age progression scale, so mental stats can be boosted at the expense of the physical ones. The character is being created at level 9, and I have rolled 17, 16, 16, 14, 13, 11 for stats.

Telonius
2011-03-16, 11:32 AM
Kind of a non-standard one, but have you considered a Cleric of Yondalla? Sounds exactly like what you're looking for, except for (possibly) the spells. You might want to ask your DM if you can use the "Feast" domain from Eberron as one of Yondalla's domains. It's certainly in keeping with her usual portfolio, and has a few of those sorts of spells on the list.

Kylarra
2011-03-16, 11:45 AM
I'd say a cloistered cleric along those lines would be perfect.

Keld Denar
2011-03-16, 11:51 AM
Bard. Put ranks in Perform: Storytelling and make lots of "back in my day" references. Bards also get access to some minor healing spells and enough UMD to fake it otherwise. Levels in Lyric Thamateurge or Sublime Chord would also get you access to some of the more wizardly spells you seem interested in.

Plus, getting old makes you more charismatic, apparently, which boosts nearly all of your bardic features!