PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Uncapped Spells

AmberVael
2011-03-16, 01:28 PM
So I've been looking up various ways to boost caster level, and it came to my attention that I know very few spells which benefit from an incredibly high caster level.

The ones that immediately come to mind are mostly damage, as well.
Maw of Chaos, Wings of Flurry, Force Missiles are what I'm thinking of.
I know Holy Word and that group of spells would also benefit immensely, but is there anything good I'm missing?

Zaydos
2011-03-16, 01:30 PM
Black Tentacles is good for an extra few levels with a boosted CL (since CL determines its grapple bonus).

Hyfigh
2011-03-16, 01:53 PM
Buffs are normally the way to go when CL is of importance. Extend a spell with an hours/CL duration with a high CL? You've got yourself a buff for likely a couple day.

Obviously, being able to get through SR is nice, but not worth boosting CL to outrageous levels.

Kamai
2011-03-16, 02:31 PM
Animate dead could get you a lot of controlled undead, though it could get expensive.

DLoFunk
2011-03-16, 02:36 PM
Boccob's Rolling Cloud

arguskos
2011-03-16, 04:47 PM
Reserves of Strength can breach level caps on spells, up to a limited point, and is considered stupidly, stupidly broken. Source on that one is Dragonlance Campaign Setting, pg 86, and amazingly, it's legit stuff, thanks to that book being made by WotC directly.

As for actual spells with no level cap, I know of nothing that hasn't been said already, nor other ways to breach level caps. Sorry.

dextercorvia
2011-03-17, 09:50 AM
True Shinken's Master Spellthief Mini Guide (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867410/Master_Spellthief_%28a_mini-guide%29) has a section on uncapped spells.

NoldorForce
2011-03-17, 05:55 PM
Lessee...

Consumptive Field (and its Greater brother) are most obvious, granting you half again as much CL and +2 Str per point of boost.
Kelpstrand grapples a number of targets in range, and its grapple bonus is CL+BAB+Wis. Sure, it has issues with FoM, but so does Black Tentacles.
Burning Blood requires you to have a breath weapon, but it deals your CL in energy damage as a backlash effect.
Similarly, Wounding Whispers deals 1d6+CL sonic damage as a backlash.
Mountain Stance provides your CL as a bonus against a laundry list of undesirable movement effects so long as you're on the ground.
Divine Retaliation is yet another backlash effect, but this time uses your CL as part of its attack bonus.
Improvisation grants double your CL as a pool of luck points to be used on various checks.
Venomfire makes your poisonous attacks also deal 1d6/CL acid damage.
Dragonsight grants darkvision and blindsense (not great, I know) proportional to your CL.
Power Leech, assuming you can wait long enough, grants an enhancement bonus to an ability score equal to the number of rounds it affects some other creature. Oh, and the duration on said other creature is one round/CL. Extend it (via the metamagic) for more fun.

Psyborg
2011-11-01, 12:44 PM
Dear <deity of choice>, Venomfire. As if the most hilariously broken Animal Companion a Druid could ever want wasn't already ridiculous enough, they make a spell that appears to have been custom-tailored for boosting its damage output to utterly insane levels.

averagejoe
2011-11-01, 07:26 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread necromancy.