PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Improving magic items

Choco
2011-03-16, 02:28 PM
I was just wondering if there are any rules in 4e for improving a magic item, AKA making your +1 sword a +2, like there were in 3.5.

All I can find suggests that once an item is enchanted all you can really do with it is sell it or use the disenchant ritual on it to get back 1/5 its value.

For reference, this is really only important to me for fluff reasons as my character is attached to various magic items (especially weapons) and would rather improve existing ones than go out and replace them. I am just curious if there is any non-DM-fiat way to accomplish this.

Kylarra
2011-03-16, 02:34 PM
It's an alternate use of the Enchant Magic Item ritual described in Adventurer's Vault pg 198. You can increase the enchantments by paying the difference between the two costs. Note, this doesn't allow you to change the property, unless it's to give one where none existed before. So you could go from +1 <blah> to +2 <blah> or +1 to +2 <blah>, but you couldn't change +1 <blah> into +2 <blah2>.

Choco
2011-03-16, 02:39 PM
It's an alternate use of the Enchant Magic Item ritual described in Adventurer's Vault pg 198. You can increase the enchantments by paying the difference between the two costs. Note, this doesn't allow you to change the enchantment, unless it's to give one where non existed before. So you could go from +1 <blah> to +2 <blah> or +1 to +2 <blah>, but you couldn't change +1 <blah> into +2 <blah2>.

Ah, thanks!

I remember seeing somewhere that it works just like 3.5 in that regard but could not find where it was (AV was one of 2 books I didn't search through...), and was starting to think it was a houserule I picked up somewhere.

That definitely makes life easier. I plan on keeping the same enchantments on my weapons all the way from lvls 8 to 30 so we good.

juggalotis
2011-03-16, 02:43 PM
i just enjoy completely homebrewing items. like a dagger that releases a burst one after three succesful attacks damaging both enemies allies and its wielder

WinWin
2011-03-16, 03:15 PM
keep in mind that unless you're are using houserules, item rarity severely limits what your character can create.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-16, 03:20 PM
keep in mind that unless you're are using houserules, item rarity severely limits what your character can create.

Not exactly. The latest word from WOTC is to ignore the rarity rules until they publish substantially more commons and rares.

WinWin
2011-03-16, 03:23 PM
Not exactly. The latest word from WOTC is to ignore the rarity rules until they publish substantially more commons and rares.

good to hear. I'll have to start reading the editorials again.

tcrudisi
2011-03-16, 03:52 PM

That is wonderful. May I ask where you found this information?

Kurald Galain
2011-03-16, 04:03 PM
That is wonderful. May I ask where you found this information?

This week's Rule Of Three column. I think that's supposed to be part of Dragon magazine except that it's not "locked" for paying members only.

MeeposFire
2011-03-16, 04:10 PM

It limits what you can create but in an update you can use a ritual to improve an item you already own. So you cannot create a staff of ruin from scratch but you could use a ritual to make your +1 staff of ruin into a +2 staff of ruin.