PDA

View Full Version : Two totem Barbarian? [3.5]

gomipile
2011-03-17, 10:21 AM
The Spirit Lion Totem and Wolf Totem barbarian alternative class features each replace different class features of the stock barbarian.

Thus, I think it is possible RAW to have both in one character, but is it reasonable RAI?

dextercorvia
2011-03-17, 10:30 AM
A totem pole never has just one animal.

Firechanter
2011-03-17, 10:41 AM
Power Word: No.

DeltaEmil
2011-03-17, 10:42 AM
As long as the abilities replaced by the variants don't come up in both variants, it's legal to use various variant rules to exchange class abilities. Spirit Lion and Wolf Totem themselves are okay, because Spirit Lion only replaces the fast movement ability, and Wolf Totem replaces uncanny dodge, trap sense and improved uncanny dodge.

What you couldn't get is Spirit Lion and Serpent Totem, because both variants replace the fast movement ability. Or Spirit Lion and Dragon Totem. And other combinations.

Ernir
2011-03-17, 11:04 AM
Thus, I think it is possible RAW to have both in one character, but is it reasonable RAI?

RAW, it's possible.

RAI? Uh, I don't see anything suggesting it shouldn't be possible.

From a fluff perspective? Does it say somewhere that a Barbarian must be devoted to only one totem?

Flickerdart
2011-03-17, 11:05 AM
Totems are just ACFs. Just like you can take both Zhentarim Soldier and Dungeoncrasher, you can take two totems.

What you couldn't do is take levels in one totem and then multiclass into a different one. That would be ridiculous.