PDA

View Full Version : New Centaur PC

Uhtred
2011-03-17, 12:23 PM
So my friend is setting up a new campaign and I've decided to play something a bit different. I traditionally play big strong heavy-handed fighters, either chargers or power-attackers or a combination thereof (The Shock Trooper feat is a particular favorite) so, having been challenged NOT to built something that relies on heavy armor and a fullblade (again, a particular favorite combo) I've decided to build a heavily mobile character with no armor. We have access to some monster races and any feats or classes we can lay hands on. After some rumination, I've decided that a Centaur Ranger 2/Scout 3 would be pretty awesome, especially to then prestige into Cavestalker and dual-wield large-sized spiked chains.
The question being, should I replace the levels of Scout with levels of Rogue? Or Fighter, for the feats? I think that Skirmish and the Scout's movement bonus are killer, but understand well the virtues and deadliness of Sneak Attack.
Also, is Monstrous Humanoid one of those races that can sub out hit dice for class levels? Or is that a Fey thing? I never really understood.

Keld Denar
2011-03-17, 12:43 PM
I believe the RHD for class levels thing is generally only for things with 1 HD. You can replace the 1 RHD with a class level for things like Kobolds. Things with multiple RHD, you can't do that without DM houserule.

According to RotW, Centaurs have 4 RHD and +2 LA, meaning that you'll be ECL6 before you take class levels. Ranger2/Scout2 would put you up to ECL10 without pounce (unless you got a Wand Chamber + Wand of Lion's Charge which Ranger levels would let you use).

I'd go with Knockback (RoS) instead. Take PA, Imp Bull Rush, and Knockback, use a single 2 handed reach weapon, and punt anyone who approaches you into the next zip code. Use that large size you paid for for something other than piddly precision damage. Be a Dungeoncrasher!

Runestar
2011-03-17, 06:30 PM
Again, centaurs make excellent chargers (since they are their own mount). Sure you don't want to go that route? :smalltongue: