PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife PrC (3.5, PEACH)

LOTRfan
2011-03-17, 03:46 PM
Here's a Prestige class for the Soulknife, which is often seen as... well, bad. Hopefully this can help fix things. Any suggestions for improvements are more than welcome.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Although rare among most races, some creatures are born with psionically-focused minds. Some are able to reach the highest heights, becoming Psions and Psychic Warriors. Others, however, are not as awakened psionically as others. The most common example is the Soulknife, a warrior who can focus his power into the form of a glowing, semi-corporeal blade. Despite this amazing power, Soulknives are often seen as subpar fighters compared to conventional warriors. Some, however, wish to become more powerful, making their mindblade more versatile and continue their journey to psionic awakening. These beings are referred to as soulweapon masters, psionic individuals that exceed the limitations of their natural psionic abilities.

Prerequisites
To qualify as a Soulweapon Master, a character must fit the following criteria.
Feats: Weapon Focus (Mindblade)
Special: Mindblade and Shape mindblade class features.

Hit Dice: d10

Soulweapon Master
{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save| Will Save | Special | Power Points/Day | Powers Known | Maximum Power Level Known
1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Mindweapon, Psychic Strike Increase, Mindblade Enhancement Bonus, Mindblade Enhancements | 0 | 1 | 1st
2 | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Aligned Mindblade, Material Mindblade | 1 | 2 | 1st
3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Bonus Feat | 3 | 3 | 1st
4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Elemental Mindblade 1d6 | 5 | 4 | 2nd
5 | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Bonus Feat | 7 | 5 | 2nd
6 | +6 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Quickened Psychic Strike, Elemental Mindblade 2d6 | 11 | 6 | 2nd
7 | +7 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Bonus Feat | 15 | 7 | 3rd
8 | +8 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Elemental Mindblade 3d6 | 19 | 8 | 3rd
9 | +9 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Bonus Feat | 23 | 9 | 3rd
10 | +10 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Material Mindblade, Elemental Mindblade 4d6 | 27 | 10 | 4th[/table]

Class Skills: The soulweapon master's class skills are Autohypnosis (Wis), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex). Soulweapon Masters gain a number of skill points per level equal to (4 + INT modifier).

Class Features
A soulweapon master has the following class features.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A soulweapon master is proficient with all light and martial weapons, along with light and medium armor, and shields.

Powers: A soulweapon master’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on the table. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Wisdom score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items. A 1st-level soulweapon master gains no power points for his class level, but he gains bonus power points (if he is entitled to any), and can manifest the single power he knows with those power points. Soulweapon masters learn powers from the psychic warrior power list.

Psychic Strike Increase (Su): The soulweapon master's levels in soulweapon master stack with his soulknife levels in order to determine the damage dealt by his psychic strike.

Mindblade Enhancement (Su): The soulweapon master's levels in soulweapon master stack with his soulknife levels in order to determine the enhancements for his mindblade. In addition to the fifteen enhancement options for the soulknife, a soulweapons master may also choose Ghost touch, Brilliant energy, Holy/Unholy, and Bane.

Mindblade Enhancement Bons (Su): The soulweapon master's levels in soulweapon master stack with his soulknife levels in order to determine the numerical enhancement to attack and damage for his mindblade.

Mindweapon (Su): Starting at first level, a soulweapon master's mindblade becomes more versatile. When creating his mindblade, the weapon doesn't have to be a "blade" at all. When creating his mindweapon, he chooses which type of damage it causes when it forms (bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing). He chooses whichever damage it causes whenever he forms it. If he wishes to change the damage type mid-combat, he may use a move action to change the mindblade's composition in order to deal another type of damage (of his choice).

Aligned Mindblade (Su): At 2nd level, the soulweapon master's mindblade is treated as though constantly under the effects of an align weapon spell. The soulweapon master chooses its mindblade's alignment (chaotic, lawful, evil, or good) each time it is formed. If the soulweapon master wants to change the alignment of the mindblade after it is formed, the soulweapon master may do so by concentrating on the mindblade as a move action. When the soulweapon master chooses the alignment of the mindblade, it cannot be of an alignment opposed to the wielder.

B]Material Blade (Su):[/B] At 2nd level, a soulweapon master becomes so adept at shaping his mindblade that he can make it mimic special materials. A soulweapon master selects one special material to mimic. For example, a mindblade that mimics adamantine bypasses hardness. Once this special material is chosen, the mindblade mimics this property whenever it is formed. The special material being mimicked may only be switched for a new material by meditating for 2 hours without any strenuous activity. At 10th level, the mindblade can mimic two special materials concurrently.

Bonus Feats: At 3rd level, and every odd level afterwards, soulweapon masters are allowed to choose a bonus feat. These bonus feats can be from chosen from fighter bonus feats or psionic feats. A soulweapon master must still meet the prerequisites to take the feat. For feats that require levels of fighter to take (like Greater Weapon Focus), both the soulweapon master's soulknife and soulweapon master levels combined are treated as if levels in fighter for the purposes of qualifying.

Elemental Mindblade (Su): At 4th level, a soulweapon master's soulknife deals an extra 1d6 points of energy damage. The soulweapon master can choose acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic energy. Whenever the mindblade is formed, the soulweapon master may select whichever energy type it is. If a soulweapon master wishes to change the energy damage mid-combat, the soulweapon master may do so by concentrating on it as a move action. At 6th level, and every two levels afterward, the energy damage increases by another 1d6 (for a maximum of 4d6 at 10th level).

Quickened Psychic Strike (Su): At 6th level, a soulweapon master can imbue their mindblades with destructive psychic energy as a free action instead of a move action. Soulweapon masters may only imbue their mindblade with this psychic energy once per round.

LOTRfan
2011-03-26, 12:46 PM
Bump

I made some major edits.

lightningcat
2011-03-26, 06:13 PM
First off, while it seems interesting, I don't know of a lot of people who use the normal XPH Soulknife. Most of us use some sort of major fix, so you have a limited audiance.

Second, I don't see a real unifying theme to this class, other then "Improve your mindblade" which is why most of us are already using a fix to the base class.

Third, you have Psychic Strike Increase in the table as a 10th level ability, but listed first in the discriptions. I think that this would be better off as a early ability.

Fourth, the Aligned Mindblade is very situational. Unless you run into a lot of ousiders, the ability doesn't do alot

Fifth, I like the Elemental Mindblade idea, but I think it need something more, either an advancement at later levels or an augment ability. I don't know. Maybe as a replacement for your normal psychic strike damage.

Sixth, the material mindblade is great, but 2 materials at 8th seems off. Maybe 1 material at a time earlier in the progression, and then 2 at 8th level.

These are just ideas, but i love to see any one doing something for the soulknife, it is one of my favorite consepts.

LOTRfan
2011-03-27, 08:20 AM
Well, first off, thank you for the PEACH. :smallsmile:

Third, you have Psychic Strike Increase in the table as a 10th level ability, but listed first in the discriptions. I think that this would be better off as a early ability.

It actually isn't supposed to be mentioned in the class table at all. I'll fix it.

Fourth, the Aligned Mindblade is very situational. Unless you run into a lot of ousiders, the ability doesn't do alot.

That is a good point. I shall add another ability to that level.

Fifth, I like the Elemental Mindblade idea, but I think it need something more, either an advancement at later levels or an augment ability. I don't know. Maybe as a replacement for your normal psychic strike damage.

Advancement it is, then.

Sixth, the material mindblade is great, but 2 materials at 8th seems off. Maybe 1 material at a time earlier in the progression, and then 2 at 8th level.

Okay, I'll add it in as the ability that is given at the same level as the align weapon feature.

These are just ideas, but i love to see any one doing something for the soulknife, it is one of my favorite consepts.

I agree. Soulknives don't really get much love.

classy one
2011-03-27, 02:10 PM
Always a pleasure seeing some soulknife love. I'll see what input I can give here.

The most glaring omission is no mindblade enchantment bonus advancement. Enhancement bonus =/= enchantment bonus aterferall.

The requirements are a bit TOO easy.

Giving them powers was nice but giving them more enhancement options would have been more fitting thematically. Even a simple bane weapon would be vastly superior to the standard soulknife. Maybe when you have +2 enhancement then open up all +1 weapon abilities so it lags behind?

Increased psychic strikes a capstone is odd. Shouldn't it be a level 1 feature?

Keep it up

LOTRfan
2011-03-27, 02:37 PM
Always a pleasure seeing some soulknife love. I'll see what input I can give here.

The most glaring omission is no mindblade enchantment bonus advancement. Enhancement bonus =/= enchantment bonus aterferall.

You are right. A Soulknife will only have a +1 mindblade the way it is currently written. That shall be corrected.

The requirements are a bit TOO easy.

That was the general idea. I wanted to make it so that any Soulknife could join, as long as they were 6th level. If it is too easy, though, I am more than willing to listen to some suggestions.

Giving them powers was nice but giving them more enhancement options would have been more fitting thematically. Even a simple bane weapon would be vastly superior to the standard soulknife. Maybe when you have +2 enhancement then open up all +1 weapon abilities so it lags behind?

I am... not sure what you mean here (this could be because I am too tired to comprehend most things at the moment, though :smallsmile:). Do you mean widen the available options available for the soulknife enhancements, so the Soulknife has more options available than the current 15?

Increased psychic strikes a capstone is odd. Shouldn't it be a level 1 feature?

Keep it up

It is. I am in the process of making the edits lightningcat suggested. It will be fixed.

classy one
2011-03-27, 03:45 PM
Suggested additions are
Ghost touch
Brilliant energy (come on!)
Holy/unholy
Bane

Your align and elemental kind of cover the other major ones, but you still don't get the "burst" features that go well with keen.

LOTRfan
2011-03-27, 08:09 PM
Alright, I added those in.