PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration for Homebrew (Any/No system)

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 05:21 PM
READ THIS POST

This thread is for ideas that you may have for homebrew that seems interesting. The difference between this and the Request a Homebrew thread is that that has specific requests, and they are usually very specific. This thread, on the other hand, is for vaguer things that just seem like good/awesomely crazy ideas.

Two posts will follow: A Compendium of inspiration and another of the resulting homebrew. Any homebrew that reaches 3 posts critiquing it should be made into its own thread to avoid clutter. Please post a link to the new thread so that I can place it into the Compendium.

When you post your idea, please put a title for it in the post so I have something to label it as in the list of ideas.

Also, look over your idea before posting. If you have a great deal of detail, you've probably gone beyond "inspiration". Consider the Request a Homebrew thread, or making your own thread.

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 05:25 PM
INSPIRATION

Total list of all ideas.
Alignment Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10575897&postcount=4)
Campaign World ruled by undead. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10577120&postcount=14)
Demon who makes people dance en masse. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10576121&postcount=8)
Sublime sheildbearing warrior with different abilities by shield. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10576082&postcount=7)
Tome of Battle discipline for Alchemical Weapons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10576308&postcount=10)

No-system-specified
Demon who makes people dance en masse. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10576121&postcount=8)
Campaign World ruled by undead. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10577120&postcount=14)

D&D 3.5
Alignment Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10575897&postcount=4)
Sublime sheildbearing warrior with different abilities by shield. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10576082&postcount=7)
Tome of Battle discipline for Alchemical Weapons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10576308&postcount=10)

D&D 4.0
None yet.

Exalted
None yet.

NOTE: I do not know of many systems, so I will add relevant spoilers when ideas arrive for them.
SECOND NOTE: Ideas can be used for systems other than that which they were suggested for, these are simply the systems the inspirer thought would be best for the idea. If many people suggest that an idea would work well in another system, it will be added to that list.

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 05:27 PM
Ideas Being Worked On

D&D 3.5
None yet.

D&D 4.0
None yet

Exalted
None yet.

Implemented Ideas

D&D 3.5
None yet.

D&D 4.0
None yet

Exalted
None yet.

Posting may now begin.

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 05:32 PM
Well, I feel I should kick this off with an idea of my own that inspired me to create this thread:

D&D 3.5
A magic item exemplifying each of the 4 polar alignments (Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos), along with items formed by crafting them together (any of the corner alignments, Neutral Morality, Neutral Structure, and True Neutral).

unosarta
2011-03-17, 05:36 PM
Aegis of the Divine
A Sublime (Tome of Battle based) prestige class that focuses on using Devoted Spirit and shields. However, the class focuses on using all of the alignments. They gain a small list of spells as well, and they can shift the alignment they appear to be, also shifting their spells. They use one shield, and the others would rotate around the character, giving some small effect (probably passive). The Shield that is wielded grants some active abilities (probably usable once per encounter). They would use shields as weapons as well.

Something that I have wanted to do for a long time, but have never really implemented or had the time to do.

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 05:46 PM
A Sublime prestige class that focuses on using Devoted Spirit and shields. However, the class focuses on using all of the alignments. They gain a small list of spells as well, and they can shift the alignment they appear to be, also shifting their spells. They use one shield, and the others would rotate around the character, giving some small effect (probably passive). The Shield that is wielded grants some active abilities (probably usable once per encounter). They would use shields as weapons as well.

Something that I have wanted to do for a long time, but have never really implemented or had the time to do.
Sorry, forgot to mention this in the first post:

Can you please put the short title you would like your idea to go by in your post? I don't know much about a lot of things, and Sublime is one of them, so I'm not sure of a one-line summary.

unosarta
2011-03-17, 05:51 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention this in the first post:

Can you please put the short title you would like your idea to go by in your post? I don't know much about a lot of things, and Sublime is one of them, so I'm not sure of a one-line summary.

Sublime is from the Tome of Battle, which is a beautiful, well written, amazing book. Buy it now.

One line summary: A shield bearing fighter who's abilities and alignment change based on the shield they are using.

LOTRfan
2011-03-17, 05:54 PM
Dancing Demon: A Demon from the darkened layers of the Abyss whose sole function is to cause chaos by forcing hundreds of people at a time to sing and dance. :smallwink: (http://buffy.wikia.com/wiki/Sweet)

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 06:06 PM
Sublime is from the Tome of Battle, which is a beautiful, well written, amazing book. Buy it now.

One line summary: A shield bearing fighter who's abilities and alignment change based on the shield they are using.

Oh, I have ToB, just didn't remember that the maneuver system and stuff was called Sublime.

Updated compendium.

Eldan
2011-03-17, 06:16 PM
An idea I had but never got past concept stage:

A ToB discipline focused on alchemical weapons. Alchemist's fire, acid flasks and so on. Throw several in one throw. Splash them out in a line instead of a splash. And so on.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-17, 07:36 PM
An idea I had but never got past concept stage:

A ToB discipline focused on alchemical weapons. Alchemist's fire, acid flasks and so on. Throw several in one throw. Splash them out in a line instead of a splash. And so on.

I have some of this sort of discipline either on this computer, or on the one that had its hard-drive die...if it's on this one, I'll dig it up. If it's NOT, that's something that I personally might be quite interested in...

Mayhem
2011-03-17, 08:01 PM
I have some ideas for a world where undead have taken over. I thought about how they did it, what the ruling classes are, favourite slave races, how energy draining undead get decent meals, how society entertains itself, where the living survivors are hiding and how the living survivors protect themselves. There's some ideas for both undead and living survivor campaigns.

EDIT: made my post what I actually meant to say

Edit2: Slave races undead would prefer: Halflings, and dwarves.
Halfings because despite their small size, they have remarkable constitution. Their small size and strength allows easy storage. Why not gnomes instead? Because gnomes have more innate magic, and cause more problems than they're worth.
Dwarves because their tough bodies and affinity for battle make them great gladiators. Their gruff demeanor and reserved personality make them unlikely revolt leaders, paladins, and clerics so they pose little threat.
Gladiatorial combat would serve as entertainment, and to bring out hidden strengths that energy draining undead crave to feed on.
Survivors would live in marshes and at sea, as vampires are deathly afraid of water and would avoid those areas.
How did they take over? Well, maybe a vampire souht out the hidden knowlege of the mummy sorcerer kings, and eventually found one and joined forces. They would most likely use goblinoids. Goblinoids would be kept around after undead have taken over to serve as guards for slaves, as gladiators, or even just undead pets.
Early on in the undead campaign of world domination, they would find halflings and dwarves make the best slaves, so those hidden communities harbouring such folk would be hit hardest and often leave unfavoured races behind. This would send a message that undead only want halflings and dwarves, which would cause civil war within the living communities.
Conquering the deserts and cold north would be simplicity due to the harsh nature of such areas. These areas would be just fine for undead though, and would allow them to set up societies to fuel the ongoing war. These areas would be hard on their slaves, however since undead need neither food, rest nor water, they'd have no trouble collecting such stuff for slaves.
And that's that.

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 08:06 PM
I've written up a world where undead have taken over. It has a story as to how they did it, what the ruling classes are, how undead society functions, favourite slave races, how energy draining undead get decent meals, how society entertains itself, where the living survivors are hiding and how the living survivors protect themselves. There's a guide for both undead and living survivor campaigns. It's pretty grim and dark world, and I've been thinking about how it would work as a gritty or low powered game like E6.

Anyone interested?

How is this inspiration for more homebrew? Seems to me you're just plugging your own stuff.

Mayhem
2011-03-17, 08:14 PM
Well I've mostly abandoned it, I just thought it was a good idea. It's only about half a page, I guess I exaggerated it. So yeah, not actually a written world.

Pronounceable
2011-03-17, 08:31 PM
A campaign inspired by all the fables and stories. And I've had this idea for a looong time, well before Fables started.

Starts rescuing a wandering bard from being burned at stake for being a witch in a rat infested village. He turns out to be a wererat necromancer seeking some evil artifact and really the guy behind the rat infestation. There's a woman wearing a red hooded cloak who's looking for mercs to hire to hunt down a giant wolf terrorizing a forest. Her granny lives in a hut there. The granny turns out to be an evil witch that geased red cloaked woman to bring more powerful victims to geas. She wants them to go to an abandoned, overgrown castle where she cursed an ancient rival of hers to eternal sleep and kill her. That witch has been partially woken by her familiar and wants the party to kill the other witch. There's a peglegged pirate named Captain Silver and another one named Captain Longhook who are feuding. There's a rakshasa with awesome looking magic boots going around meddling in things and causing havoc. There's a mad golem maker who travels the seas in a whale golem, looking for his most beloved creation that left him. There's the cosmopolitan White Kingdom ruled by Queen Snowflake (who removed her evil mother in a coup many years ago much to the approval of people) the most beautiful woman ever, but the kingdom is secretly ruled by a shadow conspiracy of seven powerful and influential, not to mention demon worshipping, dwarves. Party will somehow expose and defeat those. Alas the dwarves were in truth loyal to the Queen who had long been a possessed meat puppet of a powerful demon who was imprisoned in a mirror. That demon was the thing which corrupted the queen's mother as well. The climax will be the release and destruction of this terrible demon.

Sadly it's such an epic campaign the amount of work needed to create it has always turned me off. If anyone wants to run off with this idea they can go ahead.

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 08:38 PM
A campaign inspired by all the fables and stories. And I've had this idea for a looong time, well before Fables started.

Starts rescuing a wandering bard from being burned at stake for being a witch in a rat infested village. He turns out to be a wererat necromancer seeking some evil artifact and really the guy behind the rat infestation. There's a woman wearing a red hooded cloak who's looking for mercs to hire to hunt down a giant wolf terrorizing a forest. Her granny lives in a hut there. The granny turns out to be an evil witch that geased red cloaked woman to bring more powerful victims to geas. She wants them to go to an abandoned, overgrown castle where she cursed an ancient rival of hers to eternal sleep and kill her. That witch has been partially woken by her familiar and wants the party to kill the other witch. There's a peglegged pirate named Captain Silver and another one named Captain Longhook who are feuding. There's a rakshasa with awesome looking magic boots going around meddling in things and causing havoc. There's a mad golem maker who travels the seas in a whale golem, looking for his most beloved creation that left him. There's the cosmopolitan White Kingdom ruled by Queen Snowflake (who removed her evil mother in a coup many years ago much to the approval of people) the most beautiful woman ever, but the kingdom is secretly ruled by a shadow conspiracy of seven powerful and influential, not to mention demon worshipping, dwarves. Party will somehow expose and defeat those. Alas the dwarves were in truth loyal to the Queen who had long been a possessed meat puppet of a powerful demon who was imprisoned in a mirror. That demon was the thing which corrupted the queen's mother as well. The climax will be the release and destruction of this terrible demon.

Sadly it's such an epic campaign the amount of work needed to create it has always turned me off. If anyone wants to run off with this idea they can go ahead.

Again, so much detail it goes a bit beyond "inspiration". To go on this thread, it needs to be smaller. Consider putting it on the Request a Homebrew thread, or start a seperate one. :smallsmile:

Mayhem
2011-03-17, 08:41 PM
So I edited my first post in this thread. Am being too specific as well?

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 08:51 PM
So I edited my first post in this thread. Am being too specific as well?

Prior to the second edit, it was good. Now there's very little you haven't made of the world already.

Mayhem
2011-03-17, 09:09 PM
Ah well, still some ideas someone might want to pilfer for a ravenloft domain as a side adventure, or something.

Qwertystop
2011-03-17, 09:11 PM
Ah well, still some ideas someone might want to pilfer for a ravenloft domain as a side adventure, or something.

I agree, they're just not the sort of thing for here. There's a Campaign World subforum now though!

Doc Roc
2011-03-17, 09:44 PM
I'd really like a planescape port, at least partly, to Legend. Copyright prevents me from doing it, but....

A similar TC kit for Exalted would be amazing.

Qwertystop
2011-03-18, 09:31 AM
I'd really like a planescape port, at least partly, to Legend. Copyright prevents me from doing it, but....

A similar TC kit for Exalted would be amazing.

Not so much of an inspiration as a request, again.