PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Gravedigging/Necromancy

Prospekt
2011-03-17, 05:37 PM
Some people calls it Thread Necromancy, I calls it Gravedigging.

I just don't see the big deal over it, to be blunt. Now, I'm not new to forums particularly, and I'm explicitly well-versed in general forum rules, especially since I happen to be a mod at another site (Yes, this little pixie that no one listens to happens to be a global mod elsewhere. Not that I'm using this as an excuse to say that you should listen to me, I think the fact that I'm a member of this community is, just the fact that I'm a mod elsewhere is just so that you might know where I'm coming from). Now, the most important things I've learned as a mod? Trust your gut feeling, remember to have an open mind, and be human. Mainly, these things I'm listing are reasons why I hope you'll listen to me and won't just instantly close the thread and label me as assaulting the rules.

Now, this whole gravedigging rule was recently revised a couple years ago on the site I'm at. Why? Because we realized how pointless it was most of the time. Unless someone brings back a thread that has no point in being brought back, I don't see why a thread has to be locked just merely for being old. For example:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93745

What harm was there in this being revived? I mean, as far as I'm concerned, all it did was save space from there having to be another thread created. It's not like the person who brought it back was trying to answer a question from three years ago or talk about something that had already been concluded. If it were such a case, I would understand locking the thread.

Admittedly, the first time this actually really bothered me was in a case of me posting in a thread that was considered me gravedigging when it was on the first page of the subforum. Not that it matters that much now, but as far as I'm concerned, just because something hasn't been active for a while doesn't mean no one will ever be interested in the subject again. It seems more like a waste of time to actually post a new thread when there's already a perfectly fine one on the subject already, especially if you want to borrow perspectives from the thread already posted.

This is just my 2 cents. Hopefully it's enough in the tip jar. I'm not trying to say "FOLLOW MY ADVICE OR YOUR FORUMS ARE DOOMED," I'm just trying to throw something out there that bothers me, and probably bothers others as well (though I can't truly speak for anyone, this is just my assumption). And in the end, all moderators should ever be are regular members who happen to make sure everything's running smoothly, not an iron-fisted dictator. Yes, it's not a democracy, but surely the community's opinion itself is rather important, since a lot of them surely have spent much valuable time here and are a valuable part of the site.

~Prospekt

SPoD
2011-03-17, 05:47 PM
The forum has managed to thrive without your keen insight into moderation for 7 years, I don't think they're likely to up and change the rules on your say-so.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-17, 05:47 PM
The rules are simple: don't do it. There are several reasons for it, that were explained a few times (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5461942#post5461942) before. If you want to discuss something, and a thread similar to whatever you are looking for is not viewable in the default settings, you should create a new thread for it. The policy has been in place for years, and I doubt it is going to change.

((I'll note that gravedigging is also illegal without a warranty from the proper authorities.))

Prospekt
2011-03-17, 05:49 PM
The forum has managed to thrive without your keen insight into moderation for 7 years, I don't think they're likely to up and change the rules on your say-so.

I can understand that. I wasn't trying to act all high and mighty, okay? I just know what it's like to be the new guy and feel less inclined to be listened to if all I am is that random newbie. I'm sorry for the way I did come off, though, and understand that perfectly.

Rawhide
2011-03-17, 05:51 PM
1) The posting population is inconstant and discussions lose momentum. Reviving an old discussion is typically counterproductive because the originators have likely moved on, having lost interest in the discussion or concluded that it has run it's course.

That being said, the policy is actually *helpful* in fostering an active community -- new people can start, engage and mold their own discussions that previous posters have lost interest in (typically because they've been discussed to death) without having to defer to the conclusions of previous conversations.

But mind you, a duplicate of a recent thread will likely be nixed by the mods. But a discussion about ... the TV show Scrubs that started two years ago has little bearing on the attitude of current posters.

Azrael's explanation of the thread necromancy rules is dead on. We'd rather have new discussions start than revive old threads where many of the original posters have moved on. That being said, we also recommend linking to old threads on similar discussions, as they can provide some insight to concepts that had been raised before.

Necromancy also brings with it problems when there were technical issues in the past (such as those from the old forum software) all of a sudden appearing on page one and confusing people.

Prospekt
2011-03-17, 05:56 PM
Ah, that makes plenty of sense. For me, the rule never quite made sense without the technical stance, and was never really elaborated to me in that way. Thank you for your time, Rawhide.

Edit: So, Rose Dragon, does this mean for the next 60+ years of my life, I should never question anything ever again? Something can be running perfectly fine, and you can still question certain aspects to it. I don't think there's an absolute problem with that unless it's done in a less than respectable manner.

Trace284
2011-03-17, 06:21 PM

No-one should question established tradition! That's why we still use leeches as medical treatment, and believe that the universe revolves around the earth.

/sarcasm

Roland St. Jude
2011-03-17, 07:46 PM
No-one should question established tradition! That's why we still use leeches as medical treatment, and believe that the universe revolves around the earth.

/sarcasm
We do still use leeches as medical treatment, actually. But perhaps more to the point, while clever, your point is hardly analogous. The universe revolving around the Earth or not is a matter of fact. Whether a thread necromancy rule is "pointless" or not is a matter of opinion and judgment - a judgment we've made and given our reasons for repeatedly over the last seven years. And it's a judgment based on our understanding of this particular forum. I remain surprised, though I guess I shouldn't be by now, that some people still think we the forum staff just have these rules for no reason or without having considered whether they're a good idea or not. (Let alone, that we are actually in constant consideration of whether the Forum Rules are working or should be changed).

Regardless, I suspect what drew the rather strong reaction from SPoD was the OP's closing comment in the vein of: "if you weren't a bunch of jackbooted dictators, you'd listen to me."

...And in the end, all moderators should ever be are regular members who happen to make sure everything's running smoothly, not an iron-fisted dictator. Yes, it's not a democracy, but surely the community's opinion itself is rather important, since a lot of them surely have spent much valuable time here and are a valuable part of the site.

~Prospekt

Sheriff: But Rawide and others have covered it well. Thread locked.