PDA

View Full Version : Phaeton Mummies?

TechnOkami
2011-03-17, 05:41 PM
A current conundrum which i've run up against. Phaethons have immunity to fire, mummies takes 50% more damage from fire-based sources. Does this mean that simple torch damage still looks like a raging inferno on the phaethon mummy, but because of racials it does him no harm?

Urpriest
2011-03-17, 08:00 PM
A current conundrum which i've run up against. Phaethons have immunity to fire, mummies takes 50% more damage from fire-based sources. Does this mean that simple torch damage still looks like a raging inferno on the phaethon mummy, but because of racials it does him no harm?

The rules don't say what it looks like. That's your job. That said, since it's made of goddamn lava I probably would say that a torch just makes it bigger.

TechnOkami
2011-03-17, 08:32 PM
...um... ...let me rephrase what I just said.

Phaethons have immunity to fire and mummies takes 50% more damage from fire-based sources. This means that though the fire deals twice the damage, it does no damage to a phaethon mummy, right?

arguskos
2011-03-17, 08:37 PM

Phaethons have immunity to fire and mummies takes 50% more damage from fire-based sources. This means that though the fire deals twice the damage, it does no damage to a phaethon mummy, right?
2 times 0 is still zero. Sounds about right.

RAW-wise, they have immunity to fire, then gain the special ability "vulnerable to fire"... which balances out to be that they're immune to fire.

Urpriest
2011-03-17, 08:38 PM

Well, what template are you using to make it? Phaethons aren't Giants, Humanoids, or Monstrous Humanoids (unless I'm looking at the wrong monster), so you aren't using the Mummified template from Libris Mortis. Whichever template you're using, it should say whether the base creature retains its special qualities. Immunity to fire is a special quality, so unless the base creature loses its special qualities it's still immune to fire.

TechnOkami
2011-03-17, 08:45 PM
Well, what template are you using to make it? Phaethons aren't Giants, Humanoids, or Monstrous Humanoids (unless I'm looking at the wrong monster), so you aren't using the Mummified template from Libris Mortis. Whichever template you're using, it should say whether the base creature retains its special qualities. Immunity to fire is a special quality, so unless the base creature loses its special qualities it's still immune to fire.

Um, the "monster" you're looking at isn't one to my knowledge. It's a race in the Races of Ansalon book. And yes I am using the mummified template to make this.

Zaydos
2011-03-17, 08:46 PM
They're immune to fire and vulnerable to fire. Unless something negates/ignores fire immunity (Searing Spell) then the vulnerability doesn't matter. The moment it does, the vulnerability is back in full force.

Urpriest
2011-03-17, 08:52 PM
Um, the "monster" you're looking at isn't one to my knowledge. It's a race in the Races of Ansalon book. And yes I am using the mummified template to make this.

Ah ok, I thought you were dealing with the things made of Lava from the Epic Level Handbook. Everyone else's advice is right on the money then.

TechnOkami
2011-03-17, 08:53 PM
Perfect :belkar:

One Eldritch Horror Phaethon Mummy coming right up!

Runestar
2011-03-17, 09:24 PM
The skeleton red dragon in MM lists immunity to both fire and cold, so I assume immunity overrides elemental vulnerability. :smallsmile:

TechnOkami
2011-03-17, 09:35 PM
The skeleton red dragon in MM lists immunity to both fire and cold, so I assume immunity overrides elemental vulnerability. :smallsmile:

I'm not too interested in having immunities, I just needed to know of the aforementioned abilities conflicted with each other, which they don't.