PDA

View Full Version : Good PrC for a Dwarf Knight <3.5 Eberron>

Tokuhara
2011-03-17, 06:06 PM
Sorry I've been gone so long. Life got in the way.

Coming up, I'll be running the following. All books are allowed. I'm set on this build, so I basically need to augment my abilities that the Knight gives me.

Race: Fireblood Dwarf (Dragon Magic)
Class: Knight 5 with the Dragonscale Husk from Dragon Magic

I want to kind of run a tank-y character who is still viable in melee. Any ideas?

Zonugal
2011-03-17, 06:15 PM
Obligatory: What feats have you taken? What books do you have access to?

Have you thought about taking a dip into Crusader than going towards Deepstone Sentinel?

Tokuhara
2011-03-17, 06:21 PM
Obligatory: What feats have you taken? What books do you have access to?

Have you thought about taking a dip into Crusader than going towards Deepstone Sentinel?

Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Shield Bash, Leadership, Power Attack, Quick Draw

Flaws: Murky-Eyed, Shaky

DM said specifically no ToB, and Setinel wasn't fun to play at all (played a ranger/setinel)

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-17, 07:01 PM
Quick Draw? Unless you're a thrown weapons knight, that feat is literally useless. Since Knights have full BAB they can draw a weapon as a free action

Nitpicking aside, Knight Protector's a gas. You don't have the qualifying feats though (Cleave & Greater Cleave; you already have Mounted Combat from class features). Hellreaver & Ashworm Dragoon are worth it too; though fitting Dragoon into a non-desert campaign is awkward turtle. A far more extensive guide is available here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429). If your DM doesn't use ToB, that's their opinion. But their opinion is wrong.

Zaq
2011-03-17, 07:06 PM
Only levels in knight progress Knight's Challenge, including the DC for Test of Mettle (which is, in my mind, a knight's defining class feature). Make sure that what you gain out of your PrC doesn't sacrifice what you gain from being a knight.

That said, Hellreaver (FC2) is quite a nice tanky class.

Tokuhara
2011-03-17, 08:48 PM
Hellreaver, Knight Protector, and ironically Kensei are at the top of my list. Personally, I may take up both Hellreaver and Kensei to get the best of both worlds. Taking 5 of Hellreaver and 10 of Kensei to buff my broadsword (scimitar) and my shield (heraldic crest) and be able to heal myself in a pinch. Granted, my buddy is playing a cleric, I can cover my or his backside if feces hit the fan

CyMage
2011-03-17, 11:00 PM
Quick Draw? Unless you're a thrown weapons knight, that feat is literally useless. Since Knights have full BAB they can draw a weapon as a free action .

Nitpick, you only need BAB +1 to draw a weapon for free as part of a MOVE. Full BAB just means you can do it at level 1. Quickdraw is still useful for those times when you can't or don't want to take a move.

Tokuhara
2011-03-18, 10:48 AM
Nitpick, you only need BAB +1 to draw a weapon for free as part of a MOVE. Full BAB just means you can do it at level 1. Quickdraw is still useful for those times when you can't or don't want to take a move.

I'll pick that feat back up a few levels. Swapped for Mage Hunter

Darrin
2011-03-18, 11:59 AM

You can buy Quickdraw. Least Crystal of Return (300 GP, MIC p. 65). Only works for that particular weapon (must be at least masterwork for a Least crystal), but still pretty cheap for only 300 GP per weapon.

Taking the feat is sometimes worthwhile if your DM is fairly flexible on what counts as "drawing a weapon": i.e., wands, grenade-like weapons, potions/flasks/spellvials/skull talismans/etc., improvised weapons (literally anything you can get your hands on).

nedz
2011-03-18, 07:18 PM
Quickdraw can be useful if you switch weapons a lot and don't want to give up your full attacks.
Do you start out with a ranged or reach weapon and switch to your Broadsword ?
Do you throw things a lot ?
Unless you have a reason to take it: there are better feats.

CyMage
2011-03-18, 10:07 PM
You can buy Quickdraw. Least Crystal of Return (300 GP, MIC p. 65). Only works for that particular weapon (must be at least masterwork for a Least crystal), but still pretty cheap for only 300 GP per weapon.

Oh, I'm not saying there are other ways then using a feat. I'm just trying to clarify something someone else said. Since Knights have full BAB they can draw a weapon as a free action is misleading on how the ability actually works.

Leon
2011-03-19, 10:19 AM
Why the need for a PrC?

Knight will augment its self better than a PrC will as there is not much in the way of PrCs that i can think of that give related skills.