PDA

View Full Version : Urban Fey stories.

druid91
2011-03-17, 08:57 PM
So does anyone know of any good stories of this type?

Examples are courtney crumrin, the replacement, Etc.

BiblioRook
2011-03-17, 11:44 PM
So Urban Fantasy with a focus on faeries?

I used to know quite a few examples (including one literally about faeries coping with urbanization), but at the moment the only thing I can think of is an obvious one that I'm sure you already know about. Quite a bit of the Dresden Files tend to focus on Fae in a pretty big way.

Serpentine
2011-03-18, 12:00 AM
Maybe "Once..." by someonewhosenameIforget. But it's... "erotic horror fantasy", and it's not quite so much urban as just modern. Enjoyable, though.

falco
2011-03-18, 12:06 AM
Holly Black did an urban faerie trilogy, one of my favourite of all time. The first book is Tithe.
She wrote a comic called the Good Neighbours that's worth checking out too.

*edit: How could I forget Charles de Lint?
Not all of his stuff is strictly urban fae, but a lot of it is related. If you like urban fantasy at all and you haven't read any of his books you need to!

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-18, 12:17 AM
Wicked Lovely and its sequel, Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr are both wonderful as well.

Gnoman
2011-03-18, 06:59 AM
I don't know the name of the series, but there's a lot of books by Mercedes Lackey that fit the idea.

Edit: The series is called Bedlam's Bard.

Manga Shoggoth
2011-03-18, 07:05 AM
There is a novel called "Tam Lin" by Patricia Wrede, based on the lay of the same name.

Almost entirely set in a mid-west college, and seen through the eyes of a young girl studying English Literature.

Caliphbubba
2011-03-18, 10:20 AM
Stardust by Neil Gaiman might be up your alley...not quite modern urban fantasy but in the same vein.

The Kate Daniels series and The Edge series novels by Ilona Andrews are Urban Fantasy with Fae in them...I think the second of the two focuses on it more (I've only read the Kate Daniels books).

http://www.ilona-andrews.com/

Cyrion
2011-03-18, 10:26 AM
*edit: How could I forget Charles de Lint?
Not all of his stuff is strictly urban fae, but a lot of it is related. If you like urban fantasy at all and you haven't read any of his books you need to!

Second this. De Lint is an excellent source of urban fantasy.

If you can find it, you might also take a look at Little Big by Crowley.

comicshorse
2011-03-18, 11:39 AM
' Faerie Tale' by Raymond E Fesit is set in the modern world though in the country not the city but is still very good.
'Summer Knight' by Jim Butcher ( one of the Dresden Files novels) is good if a little silly in places

RandomNPC
2011-03-18, 12:58 PM
I agree with stardust just because it's a good story.

In fact, Gaiman doesn't focus on fey, but he's got some good modern fantasy, American Gods, and Neverwhere may be what you're looking for if you don't mind it being more Urban Fantasy and not so much Urban Fey.

Mikeavelli
2011-03-18, 01:07 PM
If you accept any trickster-type urban fantasy creatures as "fey" rather than insisting they be referred to as fey in story, most of gaimans work opens up as qualifying here. Anansi boys is another good read, it's basically a spinoff on american gods that expands the mythology, and tells a spider story, as opposed to a tiger story.

druid91
2011-03-18, 03:21 PM
If you accept any trickster-type urban fantasy creatures as "fey" rather than insisting they be referred to as fey in story, most of gaimans work opens up as qualifying here. Anansi boys is another good read, it's basically a spinoff on american gods that expands the mythology, and tells a spider story, as opposed to a tiger story.

It doesn't really matter to me what they are called, so long as they have the same feel or similar feel.

For all I care they could be called fliperwarts.