PDA

View Full Version : Creatures that have Powerful Build?

Darthteej
2011-03-18, 12:00 AM
Ok, so exactly how many playable races and monsters posess this ability? It's extremely rare, the only ones I can think of are:

Goliaths,
Half-Giants,
and a few Dwarf variants,

I'm looking mostly for first party stuff, but third party is cool too.

Darthteej
2011-03-18, 12:02 AM
Oh crap, double post thread. Mod delete this one please.

Runestar
2011-03-18, 12:50 AM
Redcaps from MM3. Not sure how "playable" they are though.

Feral garguan from races of stone?

Evil the Cat
2011-03-18, 07:42 AM
Eneko from Secrets of Sarlona.

Ogre/Half-Giant crossbreed. LA of +1

DM_for_once
2011-03-23, 12:05 AM
There's a template that grants it, but it has some pretty heinous drawbacks. (Though they can be mitigated somewhat with a feat.) I forget which issue of Dragon it's in, but I'm pretty sure it's called Stoneboned.

Sinfonian
2011-03-23, 12:50 AM
I seem to recall a Forgotten Realms regional feat that did almost the same thing as Powerful build, but not being the same thing. I'll give a quick look.

Runestar
2011-03-23, 12:53 AM
I seem to recall a Forgotten Realms regional feat that did almost the same thing as Powerful build, but not being the same thing. I'll give a quick look.

Jotunbrud (Races of faerun). You simply count as 1 size larger for size-related purposes, no ability to wield larger weapons.

Sinfonian
2011-03-23, 12:59 AM
Jotunbrud (Races of faerun). You simply count as 1 size larger for size-related purposes, no ability to wield larger weapons.

Ninja'ed. It's on pg 167 of that book (RoF). And yeah, it's not as good as Powerful Build, and is fairly restrictive in who can take it (only humans, and only those from two regions in one setting, unless you refluff). Plus it still costs a first level feat (and only 1st level).

HeavyWolf
2011-09-13, 04:27 PM
Ninja'ed. It's on pg 167 of that book (RoF). And yeah, it's not as good as Powerful Build, and is fairly restrictive in who can take it (only humans, and only those from two regions in one setting, unless you refluff). Plus it still costs a first level feat (and only 1st level).

Jotunbrud really shouldn't be called worse than Powerful Build. Instead it should be called different, as having Jotunbrud can be more powerful than Powerful Build. The text in Jotunbrud's description says that the player is counted as being "LARGE". This is very important wording as it suggest the human will still be considered large even while a smaller size than medium, such as a size of fine-small (You will probably need your GM's permission to treat a fine creature as large though). So being turned tiny size by spells or whatever have you would allow you to remain being treated as large, while Jotunbrud would only treat you one size larger.

beskargam
2011-09-13, 09:21 PM
Ok, so exactly how many playable races and monsters posess this ability? It's extremely rare, the only ones I can think of are:

Goliaths,
Half-Giants,
and a few Dwarf variants,

I'm looking mostly for first party stuff, but third party is cool too.

wait....which dwarfs have powerful build? can you reference the books? this would be incredibly useful for a build i have in mind.....