PDA

View Full Version : Sweet flash map generator

faceroll
2011-03-18, 12:18 AM
Generate maps in your browser (http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/mapgen2.swf).

The_JJ
2011-03-18, 03:03 AM
Is pretty cool.

Serpentine
2011-03-18, 03:34 AM
I like it! I wish it were possible to put in some preferences, though. For example, it'd be nice to say things like: number of peaks, highest elevation, average elevation and so on. As it is, they mostly look like a bunch of islands to me, although I suppose you could grab several and stick them all together into a larger land-mass.

Garwain
2011-03-18, 03:36 AM
Seriously cool stuff. Needs some sort of image file output to be utterly awesome.

tiny critics:
3D slopes seem broken in IE8, while the feature is mindblowing, it floats all over the screen.
The watersheds would be more clear if added to the biomes mapping instead of the polygon.

Nonetheless, I will use this when I'll create my next continent because it is miles ahead of anything else I know.

OneCalledBlue
2011-03-18, 03:46 AM
That is seriously neat. I like the way the polygons are calculated.

Any chance of getting the source code? I'm studying game development at UTAS here in Australia would love to get a peak at that.

@Garwain - The problem is that you are using IE8. Try Chrome or Firefox for awesomeness. lol.

faceroll
2011-03-18, 03:46 AM
What is this primitive browser you insist on using, Garwain?

faceroll
2011-03-18, 03:56 AM
Any chance of getting the source code? I'm studying game development at UTAS here in Australia would love to get a peak at that.

Here you are:
http://simblob.blogspot.com/

Says it's under MIT license and on github.

Radar
2011-03-18, 04:09 AM
Good one! I like the various view options.

Jarian
2011-03-18, 04:24 AM
Okay, that's pretty neat. No more screwing around in photoshop to create random continent maps. :smallsmile:

Shademan
2011-03-18, 04:39 AM
it is not as much a world generator as it is a continent generator.

hm, I dunno about you guys, but i always seem to get deserts in the edges and a huge mountain in the centre...

OneCalledBlue
2011-03-18, 05:12 AM
This isnt designed to make awesome usable maps. It is a test of a method of rendering polygons on a screen.

Serpentine
2011-03-18, 05:44 AM
This isnt designed to make awesome usable maps. It is a test of a method of rendering polygons on a screen.It could easily be both.

OneCalledBlue
2011-03-18, 05:52 AM
Yes it could be helpful for sure.
But I was just responding to all the calls for better features. lol.

pasko77
2011-03-18, 06:13 AM
This is golden.
Thanks for sharing!

Corrik
2011-03-18, 08:04 AM
Very cool.

Fouredged Sword
2011-03-18, 11:49 AM
Thank you sweet sweet programer. I am makeing an island based game. You just made island hopping so very very easy for me. Just click click, here is your island you just swam to. (yes swam, the characters are amphibious crazy reptile crocotaurs)

I would wonder if the program cound do depth of water as well. Just shades of blue to show deep water or not. I wil do it in paint if not (and probobly will anyway to account for underwater features, like kelp forests), but automation is always neat.

And I think the area round the edges are beaches. Not a lot of water retention there, so you don't see much actual water on land.

OneCalledBlue
2011-03-18, 07:32 PM
Depth would be easy to do. Just calculate a height map for water sections and then invert it.

Thomas Duskwind
2011-03-18, 08:54 PM
Wow! This is awesome! I was tryinhg to creat a map for a D&D module that I am making for Never WInterNights 2 and this helps greatly!

Holocron Coder
2011-03-19, 11:38 PM
Wow. I'm itching to dig into the source code for that... :smallbiggrin:

OneCalledBlue
2011-03-19, 11:39 PM

Same. The link was given up above. :)

Garwain
2011-03-21, 04:54 AM
What is this primitive browser you insist on using, Garwain?
yeye...:smallredface:

After some clicks, I got a island with a twin peak volcano, an island with triple lakes and another large desert with mountain range. Truly amazing.

Aside from browser nitpicking, the following suggestions:

image output
more polygons
water debt
color code legend
lava lakes with lava rivers flowing out

I have clicked the thing too much already I guess...

Melayl
2011-03-21, 01:21 PM

Same. The link was given up above. :)

Please let the rest of us know if you create a tasty mapping program out of that code. :smallbiggrin: Those of us with little Photoshop-type talent (and lack of powerful enough computer to run them) would thank you!