PDA

View Full Version : Old monster: shapeshifting tree? Old d&d

Babale
2011-03-18, 01:50 AM
I remember in either 1st or 2nd edition that there was a tree that shot a spike at you. If you failed the save, you would be encased in wood and eventually turn into an animal with no memory of your past life.

Anyone remember what this monster was called?

Babale
2011-03-19, 02:45 AM
In case anyone is curios, I finally found it by going through some of the old Monster Manuals: The monster is called a Barkburr, and comes from the First Edition MMII.

ken-do-nim
2011-03-19, 06:42 PM
I'll have to give that one a look, thanks.

Greylond
2011-03-19, 09:54 PM
In case anyone is curios, I finally found it by going through some of the old Monster Manuals: The monster is called a Barkburr, and comes from the First Edition MMII.

Heh, I'd really like to see Durkon run into one of these!

hamlet
2011-03-21, 07:45 AM
I remember in either 1st or 2nd edition that there was a tree that shot a spike at you. If you failed the save, you would be encased in wood and eventually turn into an animal with no memory of your past life.

Anyone remember what this monster was called?

I don't know the one you're talking about, but it sounds sorta similar to a Death's Head Tree, which came out of the Ravenloft MC. Shot thorns/spikes at you and if you let it go too long turned you into another such tree. Called "death's head" because instead of fruit or anything, it had the heads of dead people in its branches that shot out the thorns and spikes.

Fortuna
2011-03-21, 01:33 PM
I remember those, although they're not actually trees. They just live attached to them. They're quite nifty, although the direburr (their evil cousin) is just plain nasty.