PDA

View Full Version : Powerstone

Deth Muncher
2011-03-18, 02:04 AM
So, I just got this game, The Powerstone Collection, for PSP (also, I just got a PSP, but this is tangential to my point). Powerstone was a game that came out on the Dreamcast, and was fantastic. I haven't much figured out the PSP controls just yet, but the point is - does anyone else remember this fantastic game?

Cogwheel
2011-03-18, 02:05 AM
Played the first game all the time, never played the second. Mostly played Jack. Rather well, or at least, I prefer to delude myself into thinking that.

Deth Muncher
2011-03-18, 02:10 AM
I honestly remember nothing about this game, other than the guy with "rock" in his name Hulking - er, Thinging out and becoming a rockbeast that kills everything.

Cogwheel
2011-03-18, 02:13 AM
I honestly remember nothing about this game, other than the guy with "rock" in his name Hulking - er, Thinging out and becoming a rockbeast that kills everything.

Gunrock.

He's actually one of those characters. The ones that are slow enough to pose no threat to anyone ever past a certain level of skill, despite being rather strong? Yeah, those. Galuda comes closer to a middle ground at the expense of rather bad super moves (though one's good if you can carefully combo into it).

Valgas, the final boss, is also a powerhouse. He's less underpowered and more have-you-no-shame broken, though.

Deth Muncher
2011-03-18, 02:14 AM
Gunrock.

He's actually one of those characters. The ones that are slow enough to pose no threat to anyone ever past a certain level of skill, despite being rather strong? Yeah, those. Galuda comes closer to a middle ground at the expense of rather bad super moves (though one's good if you can carefully combo into it).

Valgas, the final boss, is also a powerhouse. He's less underpowered and more have-you-no-shame broken, though.

Oh. Well that's depressing. I rather liked him. :smallfrown:

Cogwheel
2011-03-18, 02:56 AM
Oh. Well that's depressing. I rather liked him. :smallfrown:

Oh, he's fun to play. Quite good (or at least playable), too... unless you play someone who's skilled or fast enough to get away. Then it's suddenly hopeless.

Octopus Jack
2011-03-18, 12:24 PM
I used to have Power Stone 2 for Dreamcast (yes because I'm that cool :smallwink: ) and also now have Power Stone Collection for PSP and am currently rocking Kracken. I found the actual story mode far too easy and never really got the chance to play it against people who actually owned the game.

Cogwheel
2011-03-18, 04:38 PM
I used to have Power Stone 2 for Dreamcast (yes because I'm that cool :smallwink: ) and also now have Power Stone Collection for PSP and am currently rocking Kracken. I found the actual story mode far too easy and never really got the chance to play it against people who actually owned the game.

Beat you to it. I have a DC, you know. My first non-PC console.

That said, I only have Power Stone 1. There, Kraken is, uh, kiiiiinda worthless.

Deth Muncher
2011-03-21, 01:01 AM
Fun fact: To someone who's not used to playing fighting games on handhelds, POWERSTONE IS BLARGLEBLAGLERARGH. My left hand doesn't work right now. :P

That said, I was playing as the samurai guy, and was doing peachy up until Wangtang. CPU Wangtang goes "Oh hey, those stones? That give you power? I'm gonna go for those. Forget using the weapon drops or whatever, yeah no. I bet you don't really understand combos yet, but that's okay, because I'll show you with my fists so I can get that juicy powerstone you've got there."

~Nye~
2011-03-22, 06:11 PM
hehe. I bought powerstone because my friend had it on Dreamcast and explained it was basicly 3d anime smash bros. I was not disappointed :smallwink:
I normally play Ayame or Jack. I normally have a tendancy to go for the pitifully weak and really quick characters, so I play as Ayame most of the time... Pity about the giant pink bunny jumpsuit mode...:smalleek:
I can remember fighting Valgas so many times with one or 2 of the characters and wanting to grind my face into a fine pulp because I failed at using them. Powerstone 2 is fun because making some of those crazy weapons is fun it's even better when one of them spawns next to you and you wipe the floor with them :smallfurious: *ahem*

Cogwheel
2011-03-22, 06:16 PM
hehe. I bought powerstone because my friend had it on Dreamcast and explained it was basicly 3d anime smash bros. I was not disappointed :smallwink:
I normally play Ayame or Jack. I normally have a tendancy to go for the pitifully weak and really quick characters, so I play as Ayame most of the time... Pity about the giant pink bunny jumpsuit mode...:smalleek:
I can remember fighting Valgas so many times with one or 2 of the characters and wanting to grind my face into a fine pulp because I failed at using them. Powerstone 2 is fun because making some of those crazy weapons is fun it's even better when one of them spawns next to you and you wipe the floor with them :smallfurious: *ahem*

Jack is the bestest, so I approve.

I seem to recall everyone I know moving to playing Ayame shortly before we stopped playing. Uh, except for one person who played Valgas. All the time.

As for combos? As I recall, you just hit the punch (or kick) button four times or whatever until they go flying. Mix up the combination of punches and kicks if you want. Or just do a grab. That said, Wangtang is rather overpowered. Quite aside from a very good super mode, he gets a remarkably large amount of speed, and seems to pay nothing for it.

Deth Muncher
2011-03-23, 09:57 AM
At this point, I'm seriously tempted to spend the 80-100 bucks to get a Dreamcast, two controllers, the memory doohickey and both Powerstone games. (I'd also like to note that while Dreamcast and Powerstone are not recognized by my spell check, doohickey is. O_o) Seriously - the collection on PSP is absolutely great, and makes me sad and angry my family is Nintendo-based.