PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic for codebreaking

ffone
2011-03-18, 03:19 AM
What's the relevant mechanic for characters trying to break a code (like the WWII codemaking / codebreaking efforts) used to encrypt text? Or are there skills?

Comprehend Languages seems to specifically say it doesn't codebreak, and Decipher Script would sound like the most relevant skill but it only seems to refer to 'ancient language' Indiana Jones type stuff (i.e. Tomb Talk not covered by the languages under Speak Language - dead or obscure languages).

Int would seem the most relevant ability score (they tend to be mathematical), but I have no idea how to set 'fair' DCs - or what to use for the 'encoder' opposed check.

(Opposed) Int checks might be the simplest solution.

A/o, since Decipher Script is Int-modified I suppose one could do it as an untrained-is-OK Decipher Script check, on the rationale that if it's possible to get better at something through experience, pick a skill rather than just using an ability check (preferably a skill which uses the most logical-seeming ability score, and/is tends to get too little use normally).

I'm also inclined to think having more text in the code should lower the DC for deciphering any given page (for example it helps getting a representative sample of letter frequency to break a sub cipher) and that contextual knowledge about the kind of stuff the message will be talking about would help.

NichG
2011-03-18, 03:46 AM
I'd run it as Decipher Script. I probably wouldn't let it be used untrained for codes with DC greater than 20 (sort of like non-rogues disabling devices) - beyond things like substitution ciphers, it takes a lot of knowledge of different coding schemes and the statistics of language to crack a cipher straight out, which I think is well modeled by being trained in the skill.

begooler
2011-03-18, 12:01 PM
Creating and decoding a cipher is described in Complete Adventurer. It includes DC's and the time it takes.