PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Batman's Grapple Gun?

NineThePuma
2011-03-18, 05:25 AM
As per the title. I'm really curious as to how I'd go about it.

So far, it's a hand crossbow with a modified bolt, but I'm sure there are less contrived methods of going about it.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-03-18, 05:38 AM
As per the title. I'm really curious as to how I'd go about it.

So far, it's a hand crossbow with a modified bolt, but I'm sure there are less contrived methods of going about it.

There's already a magic item that does this in Dungeonscape IIRC, rod of ropes or something similar? I'm away from my books at the moment but no doubt someone will remember better than I.

Edit: Rod of ropes in Dungeonscape.

GodGoblin
2011-03-18, 05:59 AM
I think there might be a mechanical style one in the 3.0 Arms and equipment guide, but I might be wrong. That book does have a lot of other Batman goodies however well worth a look through, I seem to remember a batman style cloak that locks out for gliding. But again, its been so long since I read it so I could just be making it all up! :smalltongue:

Gensh
2011-03-18, 09:41 AM
There was a grapple crossbow in one of the Dragon magazine issues. It's basically just a hand crossbow that deals half damage and has a 60' rope tied to the end. Attack roll to see if you shot accurately, Use Rope to check if the hook caught (not required, but probably a good idea), then Climb as usual. Not that interesting, but in a no-caster party, it's saved my rogue a bit of trouble.

Eldan
2011-03-18, 09:51 AM
There is a harpoon in one of many books, I don't remember which. Stormwrack, perhaps?

If you enchant it to deal nonlethal damage (Book of Exalted deeds), it's a pretty safe measure to catch someone. If you also make it from adamantine, it should be able to stick in most objects.

Veyr
2011-03-18, 09:53 AM
The Harpoon is in Frostburn.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-18, 10:03 AM
Actually it is in both.

Veyr
2011-03-18, 10:14 AM
Oh, I did not know that. Interesting.

Corrik
2011-03-18, 10:48 AM
Gnomish dart launcher(from Forgotten Realms, underdark I believe)

Enchant it with animate rope so that it can shoot 300ft of rope/wire and pull.

Convert an animated grappling hook(dungeonscape) into a bolt so that you can more easily attached and remove the bolt from walls(mental commands or trigger pull activation)

Essentially just the rod of ropes but I find it is a bit more effective, you can always attach it to something(I usually just stick it in a wall), and it has better flavor.

Non-magically you can use the dark launcher and then use the wire spool and crank from savage species. Not as effective or quick, but will work in an anti-magic zone. I have the spool and crank as a back up for my character.

Escheton
2011-03-19, 08:55 AM
Underdark does have the dart thruster, which is liken to a repeating hand crossbow.
It holds 3 darts which can be fired with the full attack action.

Any rope affixture mechanism would have to be dm fiat'd it seems, as it mentions nothing of the sort.

Zaq
2011-03-19, 03:30 PM
Rod of Ropes. Seriously, Rod of Ropes. It's one of the coolest items in the entire game. It's basically a double-sided Hookshot that can bull rush people. It's cheap, too . . . only 4k! It has a weirdly high caster level, though (10th level, despite the necessary spell being the lowly Animate Rope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateRope.htm)), which makes me very sad indeed, since the E6 game in which I'm currently playing has CL 6 as a hard cap so far as item crafting is concerned. But I digress. It's on page 116 of Complete Scoundrel.