PDA

View Full Version : Griffon vs. Awakended Winged Warbeast Magebred Ghost Tiger?

Tyger
2011-03-18, 07:23 AM
Wow, there's a mouthful. :smallbiggrin:

I am working through a new cohort, and was seeking a flying mount... originally I just planned to take a Griffon, but I can't get my mind past the tiger image... then I started adding templates and everything else, and I can't help but think that a Winged Templated Magebred Warbeast Ghost Tiger would be damned interesting - but I have no idea how to work out its "level" for purposes of Leadership score!

Tiger has 6 HD, + 1 for Warbeast, +2 LA for Winged, so would it be a level 9 cohort?

Also, how does one determine things like level for an awakened animal?

Cieyrin
2011-03-18, 08:52 AM
Awakened is kinda a rules black hole when it comes to what LA would be for them. I've seen lots of efforts made to govern that, but nothing ever definitive. I'd compare your templated monstrosity to other critters on the monstrous cohort table in the DMG and base it off of that.

Also, I think Ghost Tigers come Magebred, so I'd double check that. :smalltongue:

Tyger
2011-03-18, 10:23 AM
Awakened is kinda a rules black hole when it comes to what LA would be for them. I've seen lots of efforts made to govern that, but nothing ever definitive. I'd compare your templated monstrosity to other critters on the monstrous cohort table in the DMG and base it off of that.

Yeah, that's where it gets messy. :)

Also, I think Ghost Tigers come Magebred, so I'd double check that. :smalltongue:

Nope, page 74 of Five Nations includes a Magebred Ghost Tiger and specifically notes that the ghost tiger had the template added to it.

The Rabbler
2011-03-18, 10:29 AM
You could always get the tiger first then have a druid NPC cast awakening on it. It would cost a grand total of 1700 GP to have a 9th level druid cast awakening for you.

Zaydos
2011-03-18, 10:30 AM
LA for awakened creatures is still - (i.e. can't be used) unless the DM chooses to add one.

BenTheJester
2011-03-18, 10:50 AM
And just how do you intend to ride the said ghost?

Tyger
2011-03-18, 10:53 AM
You could always get the tiger first then have a druid NPC cast awakening on it. It would cost a grand total of 1700 GP to have a 9th level druid cast awakening for you.

True, and this is likely the easiest way out. Cohort will arrive with no gear then of course, but that may be the easiest way to do it. We have a level 10 druid in the party, so the spell is readily available. Of course, once I bring that up, it'll get interesting - our pixie is trying to find a dinosaur to ride too... :smallbiggrin:

LA for awakened creatures is still - (i.e. can't be used) unless the DM chooses to add one.

True, but the mechanisms for doing the above are there, and readily available, so that's not a huge issue.

And just how do you intend to ride the said ghost?

It isn't a ghost, its a ghost tiger (a specific type of tiger that is simply named in such a confusing fashion) which does not have the Ghost template.

EDIT: And it turns out, after more careful reading, that this isn't possible anyway... Awaken only works on animals, Winged turns the creature into a Magical Beast. And the reverse doesn't work either, as Winged isn't a valid template for Magical Beasts, which Awakened turns the animal into. Dang.