PDA

View Full Version : Ex Abilities

Gnaeus
2011-03-18, 07:33 AM
I had a dream last night, in which I was playing with a new (as in unknown to me) group of players, and an unknown DM. I was supposed to play the wizard.

I sit down at the table, and I am told that he is going to be running a published campaign (which I do not recognize). The campaign starts at level 7, but the DM doesn't like to start PCs above level 1. So he has decided to start us with level 1 characters, at a really high ability point buy, but with 6 (ex) abilities of our choice, with no pre-reqs, taken from any PC classes in 3.5 books or monsters in 3.5 monster manuals. For this purpose, Spellcasting is not an (ex). Nothing Epic.

So here is the challenge, (in a couple of parts).
1. Build a level 1 wizard with any 6 (ex) abilities, capable of contributing against challenges designed for an average ECL 7 party. Assume here that you do not know if the other players will be well-optimized, competently played, or cooperative. If it moves to TO with infinite loops or similar, please note that.

2. What would be a well-rounded party of 4 level 1, ecl 1 characters, each with 6 (ex) abilities, that could function as an ECL 7+ party.

My first thought involved a nice high regeneration, energy immunity or high energy resist against anything which bypassed the regeneration, DR 20/ Adamantine and an ex attack like colossal spider webs or high damage poison (coupled with a couple of feats or a race that will give a bite or claw attack) that will cripple things if I made my ranged touch attack or if they failed their save. Maybe blindsight 120 from a Desmodu bat. But I figured I could do better.....

Douglas
2011-03-18, 08:16 AM
To start with, take the Tarrasque's regen. You are now impossible to kill without using Wish, and you heal 40 per round. That by itself would probably be plenty.

only1doug
2011-03-18, 08:27 AM
To start with, take the Tarrasque's regen. You are now impossible to kill without using Wish, and you heal 40 per round. That by itself would probably be plenty.

win.

lets also have golem immunities. (probably iron golem for the best variables)

Gnaeus
2011-03-18, 08:35 AM
I think that is a start, but not an automatic win. You have very little intrinsic ability to beat ECL 7+ challenges, you are just very hard to kill.

Golem magic immunity? Iffy. You are still vulnerable to most monster's supernatural or other abilities. You can still be tagged by casters (if they realize what you have). And you are now immune to most buffs. The other golem traits come from being a construct. I think stealing the Tarrasque's carapace might be better.

Alleran
2011-03-18, 08:43 AM
I think that is a start, but not an automatic win. You have very little intrinsic ability to beat ECL 7+ challenges, you are just very hard to kill.
With regeneration as powerful as what the Tarrasque has, you could charge into combat and stab away with your dagger. Eventually, you'll do enough damage to kill your opponent. It will take a while, though.

Gnaeus
2011-03-18, 08:51 AM
With regeneration as powerful as what the Tarrasque has, you could charge into combat and stab away with your dagger. Eventually, you'll do enough damage to kill your opponent. It will take a while, though.

All the Tarrasque regen ability says is that you can't be killed. You could still be Paralyzed. Polymorphed. Turned to stone. Ability drained. Level Drained (not sure what that would do, but could happen). Beaten to -80 hp and tied up, then buried. Thrown into a forge or something else that will do 40+ hp of damage per turn for a very long time. All of those things are within the range of CR 7-11 opponents.

Now, Mr. T himself is immune to most of those things, but they aren't listed as being part of his Regen.

VirOath
2011-03-18, 09:05 AM
Actually, Construct Perfection (Ex) given by the Warforged Juggernaut PrC in the Ebberon Campaign Setting should do the trick with Mr. T's regen. Assuming you get all the abilities granted up front. You've just made yourself immune to damage, mind effecting, death effects, necromancy, and ability damage or drain. All without the downside to the PrC in the first place.

Pick up your race as a Warforged to be immune to almost everything on the field save polymorph.

But that leaves 4 of the 6 for offensive uses.

Mr. Anon Omys
2011-03-18, 09:15 AM
Mimic Shapeshifting is Ex.

Telonius
2011-03-18, 09:48 AM
"with no pre-reqs" - meaning we ignore any prereqs necessary to get the ability, or are not allowed anything that would have a prereq?

Here's my list:

Hide in Plain Sight (Ranger)
Poison (Pit Fiend)
Carapace (Tarrasque)
Regeneration (Tarrasque)
Rust (Rust Monster)
Immunities (Lich)

Your typical level 7 encounter is not going to be able to withstand that kind of insanity. He probably can't hit you. Even if he does, you're probably healed the next round. If you can hit him, he'll fail his fort save against the poison eventually. Two failed saves in a row means death; and enough CON damage will kill him anyway.

Gnaeus
2011-03-18, 10:31 AM
Actually, Construct Perfection (Ex) given by the Warforged Juggernaut PrC in the Ebberon Campaign Setting should do the trick with Mr. T's regen. Assuming you get all the abilities granted up front. You've just made yourself immune to damage, mind effecting, death effects, necromancy, and ability damage or drain. All without the downside to the PrC in the first place.

Pick up your race as a Warforged to be immune to almost everything on the field save polymorph.

But that leaves 4 of the 6 for offensive uses.

Well, you could still be immobilized and put somewhere you won't escape from for years. But at least as a warforged things won't be eating you (much).

Mimic Shapeshifting is Ex.

What is that from?

Hide in Plain Sight (Ranger)
Poison (Pit Fiend)
Carapace (Tarrasque)
Regeneration (Tarrasque)
Rust (Rust Monster)
Immunities (Lich)

Very promising. Not sure about hide in plain sight, though. Without also getting Camouflage, I don't think the ex version negates the need for concealment, and even if it does I'm not sure your hide will be high enough to escape from things 6+ cr above your level.

"with no pre-reqs" - meaning we ignore any prereqs necessary to get the ability, or are not allowed anything that would have a prereq?

The first. So you could pick (for example) improved evasion without having to pick evasion.

Telonius
2011-03-18, 10:42 AM
Very promising. Not sure about hide in plain sight, though. Without also getting Camouflage, I don't think the ex version negates the need for concealment, and even if it does I'm not sure your hide will be high enough to escape from things 6+ cr above your level.

The first. So you could pick (for example) improved evasion without having to pick evasion.

Are we allowed PrC abilities as well as regular class abilities? Dragon Disciple gets Claws and a Bite (ex). If it's allowed, you could swap out HiPS for Bite, so you wouldn't have to go for any odd creatures or use feats to get it.

Veyr
2011-03-18, 10:46 AM
Without question, you want Lightning Strike (Ex) from the Dire Tortoise (Sandstorm). You get a Surprise Round, no matter what? Yes, very please.

The Shadowdancer gets the best form of Hide in Plain Sight, IIRC. It only requires shadows, and allows hiding without cover/concealment and while being directly observed. It is also, apparently, (Su).

Choker's Swiftness ability is also (Su)...

Aboleth Slime is (Ex) - DC 14+Con save-or-die-horrifically? The Achaierai's Black Cloud is too - DC 13+Con save vs. damage + Insanity...

Oh man, the Shambling Mound's Immunity to Electricity is (Ex). Haha.

Gnaeus
2011-03-18, 10:49 AM
Are we allowed PrC abilities as well as regular class abilities?

Why not? Its just a thought exercise.

Dragon Disciple gets Claws and a Bite (ex). If it's allowed, you could swap out HiPS for Bite, so you wouldn't have to go for any odd creatures or use feats to get it.

True, but is duplicating a couple feats or an inferior starting race actually a good use of your pick of any (ex) ability?

Without question, you want Lightning Strike (Ex) from the Dire Tortoise (Sandstorm). You get a Surprise Round, no matter what? Yes, very please.

Aboleth Slime is (Ex) - DC 14+Con save-or-die-horrifically? The Achaierai's Black Cloud is too - DC 13+Con save vs. damage + Insanity...

Yes!

Telonius
2011-03-18, 10:51 AM
(Sorry, double-post)

Gullintanni
2011-03-18, 11:09 AM
Lilitu, Fiendish Codex I

Mock Divinity (Ex) grants casting as a 9th level cleric.

Hobgoblin War...something?

Arcane Talent (Ex) grants casting as a 4th level sorcerer.

Tarrasque

Regeneration (Ex) 40hp/round

...do you really need anything else?

Radar
2011-03-18, 11:22 AM

Important thing to point out, is that Shambling Mound's Immunity to Electricity grants you temporary Constitution points with no cap, that dacey rather slowly and more importantly in a linear fashion. Pick a Reserve Feat, that let's you blast away with lightning and go to town (and throw around insane SoD effects).

Other then that, one Ex should go for flying (or get a flying PC race).

Veyr
2011-03-18, 11:25 AM
That fact is exactly why I pointed out the Shambling Mound's Immunity. Simple immunity itself isn't that exciting.

But the spell Thunderhead from Spell Compendium is a Cantrip that does 1 electricity damage per round, for CL rounds. So if nothing else, you're looking at +1d4 Con per round that last 1 hour each, at the price of a Cantrip.

Gullintanni
2011-03-18, 11:30 AM
From SRD:

Worm that Walks

Engulf (Ex)

A worm that walks can choose to engulf an opponent who is no more than one size category larger than itself. The worm attempts to embrace its victim, and with a successful melee touch attack, the victim is immediately swallowed up and surrounded by a mass of vermin, taking 100 points of damage. A victim who spends a full-round action can break free of the embrace and move up to half its speed away from the worm if desired, but can do nothing else. Otherwise, each round a victim remains embraced, it takes another 100 points of damage. Constructs are immune to this attack.

Not bad if you can find away to be Large a few times a day.

Radar
2011-03-18, 12:27 PM
(...)

Not bad if you can find away to be Large a few times a day.
Enlarge Person is a 1st level spell.