PDA

View Full Version : Chainhammer!

byaku rai
2011-03-18, 12:17 PM
Alright, this is basically just a new type of weapon that i'm making for my DMPC in an upcoming campaign. (yes, i know DMPCs are a terrible idea, I don't care)

The concept is fairly simple: a one-handed warhammer with a chain on the end that grants some flexibility in tactics.

1d10 damage, x3 crit.

Chain: the chain on the end of the hammer grants several abilities which the standard hammer lacks. Note: the chain is attached to a bracer or bracelet, so even when the hammer is not in hand, the weapon is still attached to the wielder.
1. As a move action, the character can drop the hammer and wield the weapon by the chain instead. When used in this manner, the hammer is treated as a reach weapon (10 feet). The hammer can make attacks against enemies 10 feet away, but cannot make standard attacks against adjacent foes. Due to the chain, a character with the Improved Trip or Improved Disarm feats can make those special attacks against adjacent foes. Returning the hammer to hand is a move action.
2. As a full-round action, the character can wrap the chain around their forearm, granting a +1 shield bonus to AC. This requires that the other hand be free. Going from this to wielding the hammer by the chain requires another full-round action, but that does no require a free hand. Wrapping or unwrapping provokes an attack of opportunity.

Sundering the hammer destroys the weapon as normal, but cannot be accomplished while the hammer is being wielded by the chain. Alternatively, while being wielded by the chain, the chain can be sundered. This makes the weapon become a standard warhammer.

So... questions? Comments? Death Threats?

Icedaemon
2011-03-18, 01:56 PM
Well, first of all, a warhammer on a chain is not all that feasible, as a warhammer has (a) very clear business end(s) and clear flat ends, so when swinging it along on a chain, one would more often than not land a hit with the sort of a surface that really would not do full damage. A morning star or mace would work a lot better.

This sort of a weapon would also be very difficult to use, to the point that, in addition to using it in the 'wielded by the chain' configuration requiring the 'exotic weapon proficiency feat', the 'chain as shield' should also require either it's own feat, or something like the exotic weapon master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061004a), even from the fluffy point of view.

I am not so much an expert on rules balance, so that I shall leave to others.

You should also keep in mind that the GMPC already has an unfair advantage in the GM knowing what is to come and can plan the GMPC's progression accordingly, even if the GM in question does not conciously do so. Thus, you should always err on the side of underpowered and make sure that the GMPC is support, not hero. For instance, a bard or marshal would make a far more agreeable GMPC than a blasting-focused sorcerer, because a bard helps the PCs fight better and achieve greater deeds, while a mighty mage would steal kills or overshadow certain character types in combat.

For an example of a GM unconciously making the wrong sort of a GMPC: in the second campaign I DMed, the only one where I had a GMPC, I had given the character incredibly high jumping ability and planned for multi-level combat scenarios, not deliberately, but because I liked the idea of rooftop-to-street-level combat.

Siosilvar
2011-03-18, 03:06 PM
Although not 'realistic' in any sense of the word, I like the idea. Reach-changing is fine, and feels about right for an EWP.

Using the chain as a shield feels off to me, though. Wrapping a bunch of chain haphazardly around your arm won't do much to protect you from a blow, and you'll probably hurt yourself more trying to do that.

Throw in the benefits and drawbacks of a locked gauntlet (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#gauntletLocked), because that's pretty much what you described it as, and it should be fine.