PDA

View Full Version : Basic Fantasy

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-18, 01:51 PM
Basic Fantasy (http://www.basicfantasy.org/main.html) is a free roleplaying game loosely based on the D20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/), but heavily re-written to the point of incompatibility. It's TREMENDOUS fun, and you can download all the PDFs free on their website.
It's meant to capture the feel of AD&D, while still maintaining the simplicity and balance of 3.5/4e.

Check it out. Really. It will make you nostalgic as hell* and give you the irresistible urge to play/run a classic dungeon crawl.

* Quite a bad saying, isn't it.

BRC
2011-03-18, 02:00 PM
simplicity and balance of 3.5/4e.

HA HA HA HA he he HA HOO HA HA
...heh
*Clears throat*
Sorry. I'll check it out.

Xefas
2011-03-18, 02:08 PM
...heh
*Clears throat*

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that exact reaction.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-18, 02:18 PM
...heh
*Clears throat*
Sorry. I'll check it out.

Well, yes. BUT, it is marginally easier to play than 4e, as insignificant as that is.

The_Jackal
2011-03-18, 03:27 PM
Took a quick look, I'm not really impressed. This appears to be more of a walk backward towards Basic D&D than a simplification of 3.5/4e. Differing XP charts for various classes? Still lodged in the 'spells per day' system for spellcasters? Thief ability chart in lieu of unified skill system? Old style saving throws? Turning chart?

This looks more like you copy-pasted Basic Dungeons and Dragons and clipped out the high level spells from the spellbook. I don't know who holds the copyright on Basic D&D, but it looks like they've got a good case for a lawsuit.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-18, 03:41 PM
Took a quick look, I'm not really impressed. This appears to be more of a walk backward towards Basic D&D than a simplification of 3.5/4e. Differing XP charts for various classes? Still lodged in the 'spells per day' system for spellcasters? Thief ability chart in lieu of unified skill system? Old style saving throws? Turning chart?

This looks more like you copy-pasted Basic Dungeons and Dragons and clipped out the high level spells from the spellbook. I don't know who holds the copyright on Basic D&D, but it looks like they've got a good case for a lawsuit.

In my first post, I explicitly stated that it was trying to capture the feel of AD&D.

It does have a few flaws, but I find it better than any edition of D&D.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-18, 03:54 PM
It's meant to capture the feel of AD&D, while still maintaining the simplicity and balance of 3.5/4e.

You've just broken my mind. I hope you're happy.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-18, 04:17 PM
You've just broken my mind. I hope you're happy.

I didn't state that very well, did I?
I should have said: "Its goal is to capture the feel of AD&D, wile at the same time maintaining the playability and consistency of 3.5/4e."

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-18, 08:21 PM
I didn't state that very well, did I?
I should have said: "Its goal is to capture the feel of AD&D, wile at the same time maintaining the playability and consistency of 3.5/4e."

Nope, that doesn't work either.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-18, 08:38 PM
Nope, that doesn't work either.

You all know what I mean.

Zeofar
2011-03-18, 08:43 PM
You all know what I mean.

Combine the feel of AD&D with 3.5/4e? (I think the biggest issue with the statement is the implied comparison between 3.5 and 4e - they really work rather differently and have a different set of underlying assumptions)

Honestly, I'm not sure we do; I don't. However, I'll try to check this out soon and comment on how well it succeeds at the task.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-18, 08:57 PM
Combine the feel of AD&D with 3.5/4e? (I think the biggest issue with the statement is the implied comparison between 3.5 and 4e - they really work rather differently and have a different set of underlying assumptions)

Honestly, I'm not sure we do; I don't. However, I'll try to check this out soon and comment on how well it succeeds at the task.

Let me try one more time: It tries to combine the feel and flavor of AD&D with the absence of advanced collage calculus enjoyed by players of newer editions.

Zeofar
2011-03-18, 11:33 PM
Let me try one more time: It tries to combine the feel and flavor of AD&D with the absence of advanced collage calculus enjoyed by players of newer editions.

There you go, that makes sense. Who doesn't like Calculus though? :smallbiggrin: