PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs

t209
2011-03-18, 03:09 PM
Suppose that Hinjo went to the North and met the dwarves, what will you expect their culture will be like?
1. Warhammer Kislev like style (Like Tsars and Boyars)
2. Vikings (Jarls and Beserkers)
3. Both (Boyars and Beserkers)
P.S- Boyar is a russian nobles.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-03-18, 03:15 PM
Kraagor's Gate is in the north. We'll meet the dwarves eventually. Then, everyone will shut up about Durkon being boring as he finally gets his day.

Dienekes
2011-03-18, 03:17 PM
Kraagor's Gate is in the north. We'll meet the dwarves eventually. Then, everyone will shut up about Durkon being boring as he finally gets his day.

Or the Giant makes a joke comic about the rest of the party mistaking a random dwarf for Durkon. I can see either happening really.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-18, 03:31 PM
The Dwarf population is bearded and short. They worship Thor, are Lawful Good, enjoy alcohol, and hate trees.

Think Durkon but more so.

t209
2011-03-18, 03:35 PM
The Dwarf population is bearded and short. They worship Thor, are Lawful Good, enjoy alcohol, and hate trees.

I heard that Dwarf (from Dwarf Fortress) chop down trees but HATE TREES! Now that's a parody!
P.S- I think Dwarf's hatred of Trees is the reason why elves hate them (except V and Durkon). NEED A BEER HERE!

Themrys
2011-03-18, 03:44 PM
Or the Giant makes a joke comic about the rest of the party mistaking a random dwarf for Durkon. I can see either happening really.

Not unlikely. They don't seem to be able to remember any distinct features of Durkon...on the other hand, the cleric of Loki could contact Durkon with the help of Haley's drawing.

I guess there aren't many trees where the dwarfs live. Or the trees are heavily guarded so they don't try to attack.
After all, there have to be trees, so dying dwarfs can start a fight.

faustin
2011-03-18, 03:46 PM
According to the Oracle, Durkon will probably get dead on the trip, and the Order will need a priest to raise him (a good chance for both meet Hylga again or know more about Durkonīs prophecy).
My theory is that Durkon will bring the ruin and desvastation to his lands destroying the last gate by accident and unleashing the Snarl.

t209
2011-03-18, 05:44 PM
According to the Oracle, Durkon will probably get dead on the trip, and the Order will need a priest to raise him (a good chance for both meet Hylga again or know more about Durkonīs prophecy).
My theory is that Durkon will bring the ruin and desvastation to his lands destroying the last gate by accident and unleashing the Snarl.
Or... Durkon will die along with his clan while defending the gate
Or.... His clan will be massacred while defending the gate and Durkon will find and be killed when he attack xykon in vengeance.

Gray Mage
2011-03-18, 08:39 PM
No, he'll finally return posthumously. That means he'll reach the dwarven lands already dead (unless you interpret "finally" as his final return), but it's still possible for him to be ressurected.

Leecros
2011-03-18, 09:13 PM
I heard that Dwarf (from Dwarf Fortress) chop down trees but HATE TREES! Now that's a parody!
P.S- I think Dwarf's hatred of Trees is the reason why elves hate them (except V and Durkon). NEED A BEER HERE!

They also don't know when they're on fire, slaughter kittens for meat, and many, many other things

rayne_dragon
2011-03-19, 12:43 AM
Nothing about Durkon (or any other dwarf we've seen so far) suggests anything other than viking culture to me. I don't quite understand why you would think they might be kind of Russian. On the other hand, I may just be too focused on the Thor/Loki thing to notice anything Russian-esque.

t209
2011-03-19, 12:49 AM
Nothing about Durkon (or any other dwarf we've seen so far) suggests anything other than viking culture to me. I don't quite understand why you would think they might be kind of Russian. On the other hand, I may just be too focused on the Thor/Loki thing to notice anything Russian-esque.

Well, Hilgya Firehelm's (The original member of the linear guild) husband is named "Ivan". WHich is russian!

snikrept
2011-03-19, 12:54 AM
Here's hoping they have an overly complex, terribly unsafe city defense mechanism comprised of miles of tunnels, a byzantine network of switches, and magma. Lots of magma.:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

M.A.D
2011-03-19, 09:09 AM
They also don't know when they're on fire, slaughter kittens for meat, and many, many other things

What's wrong with slaughtering kittens?

I'm not sure if Hilgya is Good, probably Neutral, and she's definitely not Lawful

Leecros
2011-03-19, 09:19 AM
What's wrong with slaughtering kittens?

Absolutely nothing! :smallbiggrin:

profitofrage
2011-03-19, 09:21 AM
I admit when i started reading OOTS i was a little dissapointed that the dwarfs wernt exclusivly the kind from Dwarf Fortress. going into bezerk rages when they wert given a dragons hip bone......oh back in the day

EDIT:
Its stil an awesome comic :P

t209
2011-03-19, 02:19 PM
I admit when i started reading OOTS i was a little dissapointed that the dwarfs wernt exclusivly the kind from Dwarf Fortress. going into bezerk rages when they wert given a dragons hip bone......oh back in the day

EDIT:
Its stil an awesome comic :P

I thought they get rages if they don't have malt liquor or gin.

Red XIV
2011-03-19, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure if Hilgya is Good, probably Neutral, and she's definitely not Lawful
She also doesn't worship Thor, being a cleric of Loki. She's obviously meant to be an atypical dwarf.

factotum
2011-03-19, 05:45 PM
She also doesn't worship Thor, being a cleric of Loki. She's obviously meant to be an atypical dwarf.

Either that, or evil dwarfs usually worship Loki and the good ones worship Thor...

RMcMurtry
2011-03-19, 07:16 PM

Hilgya repeatedly tried to murder her husband. I'd say she's in the evil end of the alignment pool.

t209
2011-03-19, 11:13 PM
Hilgya repeatedly tried to murder her husband. I'd say she's in the evil end of the alignment pool.

Not only that her husband is a caring person and lied to Durkon that he is cruel! I mean like how many married D&D players hate having their foot massaged by their spouse.

yaklin
2011-03-19, 11:23 PM
"married D&D players"?
I have heard stories, but I thought that those were just creatures of legend.

Morgan Wick
2011-03-20, 02:53 AM
Surprised no one's brought up Origins.

Then again, we don't learn much about the dwarves themselves there; we probably know more about the dwarves from the online comic than from Origins.
Pretty much just that they'll find any excuse to drink beer, but we probably coulda guessed that anyway.

faustin
2011-03-20, 05:32 AM
Either that, or evil dwarfs usually worship Loki and the good ones worship Thor...

There are other northern gods, like Odin, Hel or "the goddes of fertility".

I thought they get rages if they don't have malt liquor or gin.

That the reason because "Dry Law" never got approved in Dwarven Lands.