PDA

View Full Version : Defining "cool"

TheThan
2011-03-18, 05:11 PM
I was playing a video game yesterday when I realized the character I was playing is really cool. Then I immediately though “why is this character so cool?” is it the characters’ attitude? Her appearance? Her personality? Her back story? What was it that makes this character so much cooler than the others? These thoughts have lingered in my mind. So I figured I’d put it up to the Forum for discussion.

So I ask the playground, what makes a character cool?

Now I know this is unlikely to be quantified in any meaningful way, so I’m looking for opinions, since not everyone thinks the same things are cool. So if someone says something you don’t agree with, just agree to disagree and all will be right with the world.

Oh on the inverse, what keeps a character from being cool?

(The character in question is Blue Mary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khbd5Pcj9g4)from Real Bout Fatal fury)

Traab
2011-03-18, 05:14 PM
Confident without being arrogant, quiet and with a witty sense of humor that doesnt insult others.

Thats the best I can come up with. Im pretty sure appearance comes into play in some way, but I dont want to even want to try to describe what physical appearance it takes to be "cool"

Fan
2011-03-18, 05:19 PM
This guy (spoilered for size.)

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/155/3/8/Strider_Gonna_Stride_Wallpaper_by_Yamato__X.png

:smallcool:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-18, 05:20 PM
For me, a suave audacity. Remember the end of the movie, The Sting? That was cool.

Athaniar
2011-03-19, 01:12 PM
Good question, I haven't really thought about it. Let's do that.

First, it's called cool for a reason. A cool character is always (or almost always) in control, even when facing almost certain death. A cool character often shows little emotion (at least negative, whiny isn't cool), but isn't emotionless. My kind of cool characters are witty, but still professional. Also, cool characters do awesome things, often involving explosions.

Jack O'Neill from Stargate SG-1 is a good example in my opinion, as is Garrus Vakarian from Mass Effect. And James Bond, of course.

Orzel
2011-03-19, 03:55 PM
Cool is to see the story and let it go. They sit back, do their role, comment when neccasary, and gently prod things in their favor if they feel like it.

Blue Mary is pretty cool, never could use her though. Barely tried.

rayne_dragon
2011-03-19, 04:55 PM
I think the thing that makes a character cool to me is that in the setting they're someone I would either want to be, or to have along with me. Like Terra in FFVI... in a world with Espers, I think it would be cool to have a friend who is a half-esper. Plus I love green hair.

TheSummoner
2011-03-19, 06:26 PM
Confidence is a big one. A character doesn't have to know everything or believe himself/herself invincible to be cool. He/She does, however need to project confidence in any situation. A cool character KNOWS that he/she will beat anything thrown in his/her path. Even when confronted with a situation where victory and escape are both impossible, he/she faces certain death bravely and goes down swinging.

Starscream
2011-03-19, 08:06 PM
The Monks of Cool, whose tiny and exclusive monastery
is hidden in a really cool and laid-back valley in the lower
Ramtops, have a passing-out test for a novice. He is taken
into a room full of all types of clothing and asked: Yo¹, my
son, which of these is the most stylish thing to wear? And
the correct answer is: Hey, whatever I select.

¹ Cool, but not necessarily up to date.

Terry Pratchett, "Lords and Ladies", 1992

TheThan
2011-03-20, 03:19 PM
This guy (spoilered for size.)

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/155/3/8/Strider_Gonna_Stride_Wallpaper_by_Yamato__X.png

:smallcool:

That doesn’t really answer the question. I’m trying to figure out what makes a character cool, not whether a character is cool or not.

Now to answer my own question, a cool character has to be appealing; I can’t quite put my finger on it, I guess a cool character is a character people want to be (or be like) or at least be close to that character.

Thanqol
2011-03-20, 03:47 PM
Any character cool enough to wear/be rainbows is automatically 20% cooler. And when you synthesise kung fu with rainbows?

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6622/rainbowdashsenseibytocu.png

Otogi
2011-03-20, 05:27 PM
Being interesting and likable, while being a dash more subtle than how people would normally act or what situations call for.

The Big Dice
2011-03-20, 07:25 PM
Cool is as cool does. Any further definition prevents coolness.