PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Guard

Totally Guy
2011-03-18, 05:32 PM
I'm having a lot of fun with Mouse Guard at the moment. I'm playing one messed up individual, really naive and insecure enough to be dangerous. Yet at the same time he wants to do the right thing. Watching the drama unfold is just beautiful.

I'm so thankful I found this system as it's opened my eyes to so many amazing things.

Doc Roc
2011-03-18, 05:46 PM
I'm having a lot of fun with Mouse Guard at the moment. I'm playing one messed up individual, really naive and insecure enough to be dangerous. Yet at the same time he wants to do the right thing. Watching the drama unfold is just beautiful.

I'm so thankful I found this system as it's opened my eyes to so many amazing things.

Welcome aboard! I absolutely adore MG, and its parent, Burning Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel.

Totally Guy
2011-03-18, 05:59 PM
Burning Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

I'm into that too. I'm running an all orc campaign. :smalltongue:

Xefas
2011-03-18, 06:04 PM
What took you so long? :smalltongue:

So, details. Belief? Instinct? Traits? Particularly gruesome exploit? Particularly epic use of Circles? Spill. =)

Totally Guy
2011-03-18, 06:40 PM
It's a play by post right here on the forums.

My guy encountered his enemy in the wilderness. He was drunk. I wanted to take him back to Lockhaven whilst he was drunk so that the mice that had ridiculed me earlier would see me doing a good deed. But the tenderpaw thought that'd be irresponsible. So we argued. She scripted right, tapped Nature and won. So my guy has been taken down a peg or two.

I was doing well for checks as I broke a tie on an untrained oratory test with my stubborn trait and ending up saying something stupid. The crowd started to get violent.

It's coming up to the end of the Players turn and I'm looking pretty good for earning 3 fate points. My instinct is "When I need to say something important I show off my medal. I think I might get a persona somewhere too.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-03-23, 11:06 PM
I really, really need to get into a game of MG. It looks so cool! I've read the rulebook through, and I love everything thereabouts.

Totally Guy
2011-03-24, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking about proposing to run a few sessions of Mouse Guard after our GM is done with this latest Shadowrun arc...

I'm worried about suggesting it because they might laugh at the prospect of playing mice and then get frustrated when they can't "do anything".

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-24, 12:27 PM
I'm worried about suggesting it because they might laugh at the prospect of playing mice and then get frustrated when they can't "do anything".

I still find Mouse Guard as an RPG hilarious, despite liking the comic book a fair deal, just because of the bolded part. Sadly, there seems to be no .pdf of the Burning Wheel line of books outside of Mouse Guard.

Totally Guy
2011-03-24, 12:33 PM
Burning Empires exists as a PDF but I consider it to be the most challenging of the 3 systems.

Xefas
2011-03-24, 12:45 PM

I'm not sure what you mean about "do anything", but I found that once I actually showed my friends some bits of the comic, they kind of "got it" enough to realize how awesome being a mouse is.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/apr083556f.jpg

It helps that the art is so badass.

Totally Guy
2011-03-24, 12:50 PM
"Of course you can't rest now! You're on a mission!"

"No, no shopping, you're out of checks so now it's mission time again."

Xefas
2011-03-24, 01:06 PM
"Of course you can't rest now! You're on a mission!"

"No, no shopping, you're out of checks so now it's mission time again."

Well, I can't really give advice for your group, as I don't know anything about them. I'll just say that my group was mostly confused/frustrated, not about that they couldn't, but more about why. Like "Why is this even a thing?"

So I just explained that your inability to abandon the mission (even for a short amount of time - like resting more than necessary) was a purposeful mechanic to reinforce the tone of the setting. The Guard's job is rough, its members are driven, and the world often beats you bloody, makes you sick, and drags you to the point of exhaustion before you eek anything out of it. Once I explained that this was intentional, and no, it doesn't mean they did anything wrong if they have every status condition before the mission is over. This went hand in hand with the "it's okay to fail rolls" thing, and especially when they realized that failing rolls is good; you need it for advancement, and it makes things interesting.

Same thing with the checks. You want more checks? Good, the game is intended to make you want more checks, so that you'll be motivated to do stuff to get more checks. They still didn't like the idea until after we played 2-3 seasons, but it was enough to keep them going until the grokkage sunk it.

Britter
2011-03-24, 01:34 PM
I still find Mouse Guard as an RPG hilarious, despite liking the comic book a fair deal, just because of the bolded part. Sadly, there seems to be no .pdf of the Burning Wheel line of books outside of Mouse Guard.

Outside of Mouseguard and Burning Empires, there are no PDF versions of any of the Burning wheel stuff. Hardcopy only. I believe it is a deliberate choice on the part of the designer.

Human Paragon 3
2011-03-25, 09:30 PM
I'm actually in the mouse guard game with Glug, and I agree that it's going really well! I've had some excellent character moments with my elder guard captain, a beleaguered veteren who's ready to retire, but called upon for "one last mission." The players have all been doing a great job RPing and our GM is quite good at detailed characterizations. Very fun game!

Kerrin
2011-03-26, 09:22 AM
I have the upcoming boxed set on order and am really looking forward to getting into a Mouse Guard game. I've been enjoying reading what folks have had to say about the game system both here and elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing your mousey experiences!

dsmiles
2011-04-14, 08:45 PM
Ok. I've seen the light. I got a copy of the Mouse Guard main rule book. Haven't read it yet, but I'm going to run it for my kids when they come this summer, instead of 4e DnD. I'm going to start reading it soon, and will try to find some copies of the comics. It looks pretty awesome.

Britter
2011-04-14, 08:55 PM
It is a fun system. I own it, and I enjoy it quite a bit. If you wanted to play with a more adult group who don't care for being mice, there is a really great hack for it called Rangers of the North that uses the Mouseguard mechanics and modifies them to represent playing Dunedain' rangers in Tolkein's 4th Age of Middle Earth.

Doc Roc
2011-04-15, 12:05 AM
It is a fun system. I own it, and I enjoy it quite a bit. If you wanted to play with a more adult group who don't care for being mice, there is a really great hack for it called Rangers of the North that uses the Mouseguard mechanics and modifies them to represent playing Dunedain' rangers in Tolkein's 4th Age of Middle Earth.

Link. Right Now. Link. Oh my god this sounds phenomenal.

Totally Guy
2011-04-15, 01:16 AM
Realm Guard (http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?9572-Realm-Guard-Rangers-of-the-North-%28v1-6%29&highlight=realm+guard)

It's pretty awesome although not quite done. Just today Patrick, the guy who made this hack, posted the cover art on facebook. There's also art for the scales of might out there somewhere on the BW forums.

Dsmiles, I'm impressed you found a copy. Those things are mega hard to find since everywhere sold out and the box set is still delayed.

dsmiles
2011-04-15, 04:38 AM
eBay is an amazing resource. I'm not opposed to second hand books, either. Which is excactly where I got mine, a used book store, not eBay. Though I did see some copies there, too.

Britter
2011-04-15, 06:02 AM
Glug beat me too it. It is pretty darn good imo. Patrick has been working on it for about an eternity.

UserClone
2011-04-16, 06:06 PM
I'm sad that game died, Glug. I was looking forward to Blache learning life lessons about how to be a Guard by teaching Beagan what he was doing wrong. :smalltongue:

I had fun with the system while it lasted, but it seemed like the GM's turn was WAY too short in our first go around. Never having played before, I wasn't about to complain, but did you think that, too?

Totally Guy
2011-04-17, 03:06 AM
I'm sad that game died, Glug. I was looking forward to Blache learning life lessons about how to be a Guard by teaching Beagan what he was doing wrong. :smalltongue:

And I wanted to continue that dynamic. Beagan was flawed and in developing past those flaws he would have become totally badass.

I had fun with the system while it lasted, but it seemed like the GM's turn was WAY too short in our first go around. Never having played before, I wasn't about to complain, but did you think that, too?

Yes I did. I also thought the that we were only seeing a fraction of the game. The GM is encouraged to make life hard for the mice using Weather, Wilderness, Animals and Mice. Every obstacle and twist we encountered was about mice.

I think that a fundamental principle of MG was being overlooked. Mouse Guard creates a fun session by playing the game. I think our GM was of the opinion that the best sessions are the ones where you don't roll dice at all (You do that in the winter session:smallsmile:). And I think that this conflict of styles was frustrating him.

UserClone
2011-04-17, 01:27 PM
Well if he'd read more into Say Yes or Roll The Dice and Let it Ride, he'd have been able to better reconcile his ideals with the game's mechanics. Some people just don't immediately understand the paradigm shift that "every roll matters" entails. If it's not important, it just goes the way the players wanted it to. you ONLY roll when there is something tangibly at stake if they fail, and real consequences result, as opposed to "you fail to find any secret doors." And when one person fails to pick the lock, everyone else doesn't get a shot at it, too. It's one roll per action, and the consequences of it roll along with that. Of course, this also means that the GM can't make you re-roll your stealth once you've passed it. If the player succeeds, he gets what he wanted. If he fails, complications result.

If you would have to search to find a clue, you just find it. There's no point to failing a clue-finding roll, unless it causes something interesting to happen, like suspecting the wrong mouse of committing the crime because you failed to find the torn piece of blue cloak, and your wrong suspect wears a yellow one, for example.

dsmiles
2011-04-18, 07:30 AM
So, I went and read the game thread you guys are talking about. I really want to play a game of Mouse Guard now. Too bad there's nobody around here to game with. All the local gamers want is hack'n'slash DnD. :smallfrown:

UserClone
2011-04-18, 07:45 AM
I know, it was fun while it lasted. Glug, you should run a game of MG on the forums!

dsmiles
2011-04-18, 07:47 AM
As little as I care for PbP, I might even join that one. I need to learn the rules before my kids come up for the summer. I plan on switching them from 4e to MG.

Fri
2011-04-18, 07:52 AM
I'll definitely join if you do!

anyway, why did I got into Mouse Guard at the first time? It's simple. It's this pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Faris/mouse.jpg

When I saw that, I said to myself, I have to play this game. It basically distillate why I want to play this game.

Totally Guy
2011-04-18, 08:23 AM
You three keep your eyes open for a private message from me then. I'd like to do that.

UserClone
2011-04-18, 08:33 AM
YESS!!! Blanche LIVES!:smallbiggrin:

Partysan
2011-04-18, 10:31 AM
I've always wanted to try playing a BW based game. Mind a fourth player? I even have the MG rulebook lying around, just never found the group to use it.

Totally Guy
2011-04-18, 11:06 AM
I was thinking about saying no. PbPs are notoriously more and more difficult with more players.

But I shall instead offer a compromise; How about we have two parties of two players each, both groups participate in a related mission in two separate threads. After a GM/Player turn cycle each we can regroup and reassess the teams.

It's a bit of a hack but I don't want to run for more than 3 in one thread.

Fri
2011-04-19, 05:53 AM
I found another very awesome pic that reminds me on why I want to play Mouseguard in my deviantart's favourite folder

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/322/c/c/ccda9a331be52241f12bd7d99e7b190b-d3311us.jpg

dsmiles
2011-04-19, 07:23 AM
Not quite as awesome as the first one, Fri. This one's more on the "cute" side. :smallwink:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-04-19, 02:28 PM
In about a couple weeks, I'll be a bit more free, and I'd actually be interested in roughing through Mouse Guard. Which means you have another player (or GM, if you really need one).

mint
2011-04-27, 11:30 AM
My Mouse Guard players just finished a long few seasons where they tracked an increasingly sinister science muskrat across the forest to investigate rumours of his ability to command bees.
I want to do something lighter and shorter for a while now. Suggestions?

Xefas
2011-04-27, 11:39 AM
...sinister science muskrat...ability to command bees.

I gotta say, I've never had a Mouse Guard session like this, but god is it hilarious.

If you're asking system-wise, I'm really liking In a Wicked Age. Very light, and very..."episodic", I guess would be the word. Each session creates one self-contained story, but with a few elements of similarity which can be strung together into a continuous story. So, while it can be long, it also cranks into full swing fast enough that it does short very well.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-04-27, 11:54 AM
My Mouse Guard players just finished a long few seasons where they tracked an increasingly sinister science muskrat across the forest to investigate rumours of his ability to command bees.
If you're still playing Mouse Guard, have you run them through either of the adventures in the book? Those would make nice one-shots for their mice.

UserClone
2011-04-27, 12:01 PM
Yeah, delivering the mail and settling property disputes peacefully are nice light adventures for Guardmice.

mint
2011-04-28, 03:58 AM
That's a good idea, I hope they haven't read them yet.
Wicked Age sounds exactly what I want but its a system we don't know and finals just woke up and they are real angry. That is something I would like to try in the summer though, so thanks :)

Kerrin
2011-06-24, 07:20 PM
Boo. According to Amazon the release date of the box set has been pushed back to 2012.

I had pre-ordered and was patiently waiting 'til July for it to come out and was looking forward to playing.

I canceled my order because I'm not willing to wait another six months for an iffy release date so far out. I'm disappointed but maybe someday they can get the box set released.

Totally Guy
2011-06-25, 04:07 AM
Amazon have been guessing for months.

These images:
http://t.co/wFE9Tdw
http://t.co/mlcOAEz
http://t.co/W0uMvRo
http://t.co/iZcEh4R
have been floating around for 3 weeks.

So it might not be that long.

Tunos
2011-06-26, 11:36 PM
I always thought Mouse Guard looked pretty awesome.

I'd be interested if anyone were putting a PbP together.

Knaight
2011-06-27, 02:22 AM
I always thought Mouse Guard looked pretty awesome.

I'd be interested if anyone were putting a PbP together.

Burning Wheel and its progeny don't work very well in a PbP context. That said, there is a Giant in the Playground chatroom (IRC), and Mouse Guard could work beautifully over that.

mint
2011-06-27, 06:18 AM
I don't know that I would ever play mouse guard online. Maybe over skype. Papercraft finger-puppets make up a significant part of the mouse guard experience!

Thanks for the tip earlier in the thread. It worked out really well.
My mice delivered mail for the rest of the season after the muskrat episode. They kept expecting something sinister after all I put them through. There was no premeditation on my part when our last two sessions turned into drama about dealing with PSTD. They had trouble not meta-gaming after all I had done to them so they just played into it instead.
We are taking a break from mouse guard now. Partly because everyone is gone away for the summer. And because the system does something to me. Something bad.

Ogremindes
2011-08-04, 12:16 AM
*Checks last post date*
5 and a bit. We're good.

The site I've pre-ordered the box from changed its expected release date from January next year to the 1st of September this year.

Totally Guy
2011-08-04, 02:22 PM
MTV got a copy.

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/07/15/unboxing-mouse-guard-roleplaying-game-box-set/

They said late August.

But Luke Crane tweeted that he was selling some at GenCon.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-08-05, 09:25 AM
That boxed set looks FANTASTIC! Well, aside from the brightly-colored funky mouse pawns. But I can't see myself really needing those anyhow, unless it's meant to track Disposition during a Conflict. In which case I suppose the bright colors would help.

Darn...now I gotta make some money fast, so I can order the boxed set.

Totally Guy
2011-08-05, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I think those pawns need dirtying up a bit.

If I get this set I'm going to have at them with a permanent marker. Then I'll clean what I can off. All the grooves will stay dark and the outer edges will be the plastic colour.

Tiki Snakes
2011-08-05, 10:32 AM
I've heard of people painting the pieces from inside suitably awesome boardgames before, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't work the little coloured mouse-pawns up into fully detailed mouse pawns of win and awesome.

Though, if you paint like me, maybe make that have them painted.

Ogremindes
2011-08-08, 07:37 PM
I've heard of people painting the pieces from inside suitably awesome boardgames before, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't work the little coloured mouse-pawns up into fully detailed mouse pawns of win and awesome.

Though, if you paint like me, maybe make that have them painted.

Dammit, now that I've read that I'm gonna have to paint mine.

Gorilla2038
2011-08-10, 02:37 PM
So heres a question for the Mouse Guard love-If i wanted to play a game of redwall, could I? Ive got my sisters kids that about the right age, and i want to get them into gaming.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-08-10, 07:48 PM
Redwall...is very, very different. Though I wouldn't think it would be impossible to adapt. You'd be pretty okay running with the basic skillset, Nature, etc., even down to Beliefs/Instincts/Goals. However, you'd have to scrap a lot of the play structure. The seasons aren't really as much of a big deal in Redwall, and their plot is more along the lines of "Go and find magic artifact/defeat bad guy."

You'd also have to make up stats for all the woodland critters, as MG operates off of a more realistic setting, where mice and squirrels and badgers, etc., are all proportionately sized.

Totally Guy
2011-08-11, 02:09 AM
However, you'd have to scrap a lot of the play structure.

For me that's a red flag. In my opinion if you've got to scrap the play stucture there's not much point in hacking the Mouse Guard rules.

Occasional Sage
2011-08-11, 04:02 AM
I'd agree: MG is not the way to emulate Redwall. It is, though, a great introductory RPG very heavy on fluff and fairly light on crunch. Try them out on the graphic novels and see what they think. If they like them, excellent and onward!

Psyborg
2011-08-16, 12:54 AM
Never played Mouse Guard, but the discussion of the figurines reminded me of something I bought long ago because they were adorable. I'll just leave this link (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/mouselings) here...

Lunarix
2011-08-23, 05:44 PM
I love mouseguard and Burning wheel. My old group all had a blast with the character creation and the system in general. Very solid. I actually miss playing it.

Kaun
2011-08-25, 12:15 AM
Managed to find a copy of the Mousguard book in my local today, score!

Such a wonderfull looking book.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-08-25, 11:25 AM
Oooh, lucky!

Side note: I know that people keep cycling in and out here...but would there be a small group of posters who'd be interested in playing? I can't say as I'd be wanting to GM (I've done a lot of GMing as of late, with very little playing), but I do have access to the core rules, and I've also looked through the Realm Guard hack.

Human Paragon 3
2011-08-26, 04:25 PM
I'd definitely be interested in playing. I was in Glug's game and was sad when it came to an unfortunate end. Somebody asked for a link to the thread before, and it was never produced, so here it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187979)

Anyway, I don't know if I would be willing to GM it, but I would play. I also have an MG hack of my own design called Spyguard that is based on the show Burn Notice.

Totally Guy
2011-08-26, 04:47 PM
I'd definitely be interested in playing. I was in Glug's game and was sad when it game to an unfortunate end. Somebody asked for a link to the thread before, and it was never produced, so here it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187979)

Oh man. That brings back memories.

Game's off! :smallfrown:
Really? :smalleek:
No April fools! :smallbiggrin:
Phew had me worried. :smallsmile:
Actually it's off after all. :smallsigh:

We look back and laugh.

Ogremindes
2011-08-26, 07:20 PM
I'd be interested in playing once my boxed set arrives. Should be next week but I'm not holding my breath.

UserClone
2011-08-28, 07:16 PM
...so, Totally Guy=Glug, or...?

Totally Guy
2011-08-29, 01:04 AM
...so, Totally Guy=Glug, or...?

Yes. I've decided that honesty demands a non-stupid persona.

Nepenthe
2011-09-01, 08:01 PM
Just found out my Mouse Guard Boxset shipped today.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't on the verge of doing Snoopy dances...

Totally Guy
2011-09-02, 10:53 AM
Just found out my Mouse Guard Boxset shipped today.

Mine too. :smallsmile:

Get them while they're hot. The book had all but vanished for a good long while.

UserClone
2011-09-04, 11:17 PM
Just started (a poor attempt at) GMing a solo game for my gf. She chose Quentin, and so far I'm running her through the Find the Grain Peddler sample mission. She decided that her friend Firbean was a laborer from Sprucetuck, whose job was delivering hot stones, and that her enemy, Marcus the guardmouse, was merely competitive and held a petty grudge because he was jealous of Quentin's superior archery.

She changed his belief to: "Between stimulus and response, a mouse has the freedom to choose.", which I thought was ****ing awesome. Her goal became "Locate the mouse Kendal and the grain, and get both of them where they belong." She decided to leave the original Instinct that Quentin has, which is to always map andy new locations through which he travels.

Gwendolyn sent him on his own to find the grain peddler Kendal, since he's a perfectly capable scout and handy with his bow to boot, so she figured he ought to be fine...

I forgot to mention to her that the grain peddler might be a spy, so when he ran from Quentin, who easily caught up to him (which I said was because he tripped over a dandelion green and broke his paw), she agreed to bring him back to his hometown, which I decided was Rootwallow.

Later on, while traveling through Elmoss, she was busy getting supplies when a few young toughs approached her cart with hungry eyes (I had decided earlier that there was a drought going on, and so that's what made it especially important to find the grain peddler, since the crop was mostly dying in the heat and dearth of water), she decided that Quentin drew his bow and threatened to shoot them if they were going to steal the grain (since as far as she knew, Barkstone desperately needed that grain). The local constabulary of Elmoss was quickly on scene, pointing bows at Quentin, who, recognizing their sovereignty, lowered his weapon out of respect for their authority.

However, when the constable in charge requested to inspect that cart of grain behind him, just to ease the town's collective mind that nothing untoward was going on and that they could trust Quentin, my gf suddenly realized that maybe Kendal had been so nervous before and run away from her because he was smuggling something.

Realizing that she'd never get to the bottom of things from inside a prison cell on the off-chance that there really was something worth hiding under all that grain, she decided that Quentin would bolt out of town and out of sight, taking the grain cart with her. She easily made the Nature roll to escape, and when she felt it was safe to do so, Quentin searched the grain himself, and he discovered the map of Lockhaven!

I explained quickly to her that maps of Lockhaven weren't allowed outside its walls, and she decided that would be important enough to remember (being a skilled cartographer) that she would write it down at the top of her character sheet. I also had her mark the map in her Gear, so she'd remember Quentin was carrying it.

Our intrepid patrol guard decided to return, grain and all, straight to lockhaven in order to make sure Gwendolyn found out about the grain-mouse's treachery. Of course, the matriarch was shocked to discover this information and, deciding that there had to be more to this, and so sent Quentin out alone once again to find Kendal in his native Rootwallow.

Of course, he quickly found out that Kendal had skipped town heading west, and Quentin (after my gf FINALLY blew her first roll of the day) found the grain peddler's hat lying against the base of a tree somewhere to the east of Elmoss. investigating further, he was attacked by the inevitable milk snake, and we broke after a round of combat.

Any suggestions? I felt like I did fairly crappy, but she was enthusiastic about playing again over Skype soon.

EDIT: Also, she will hopefully be getting me the box set for Christmas now that she's tried it, and she's also interested in trying Faery's Tale! And this, from a woman who has always thought RPGs were a silly waste of time.:smallbiggrin:

Totally Guy
2011-09-05, 07:12 AM
Sounds cool. I think one-on-one would work well with Mouse Guard.

Was this played as one GM's turn and players turn mission or was it a couple of turn cycles? The young toughs in Elmoss sounds like a good use of the enmity clause for a circles test!

UserClone
2011-09-05, 08:01 AM
She never made a circles test. I just forgot to have Gwendolyn mention that Kendal might not be on the up-and-up, and so was trying deliberately to point out to her through the local constabulary that she never thought to question why Gwendolyn might be so keenly interested in this particular grain mouse. She liked it anyway, since she didn't know any better and she figured it out.

We never finished the GM's turn, actually...not sure when the breaks are supposed to happen, since I have never GMd mouse guard and only played in a fraction of two PbP games.

Totally Guy
2011-09-05, 05:00 PM
We never finished the GM's turn, actually...not sure when the breaks are supposed to happen, since I have never GMd mouse guard and only played in a fraction of two PbP games.

The GM's turn ends when the mission is completed (not necessarily the same as the character goals), the patrol reaches a safe town or when there is downtime in an extended mission.

A good guideline is after you've used each of the threat types.

The player's turn is pretty much the only way to heal up conditions. It's a great opportunity for the player to show what the character cares about when the pressure of the mission goes away and the mouse is free to be himself.

UserClone
2011-09-05, 10:43 PM
Also, is it just me, or is this game BEGGING for a Jedi hack?

Knaight
2011-09-06, 01:04 PM
Also, is it just me, or is this game BEGGING for a Jedi hack?

It really is. Given that it already has a Dunedain Rangers hack, it shouldn't even be that difficult.

Xefas
2011-09-06, 02:14 PM
Here are a couple (as far as I know, incomplete) Mouse Guard Jedi hack threads, for ideas.
Mice of the Old Republic (http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?7228-Mice-of-the-Old-Republic&highlight=star+wars)
Force Guard (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?572085-Mouse-Guard-Hack-PEACH-my-Force-Guard-Hack)
Other One (http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?10146-Star-Wars-hack-Where-is-it)

Totally Guy
2011-09-07, 05:26 AM
Got my box set yesterday. Yay!

The GM screen looks really handy. It's got all the skill factors on it and all the creatures. It's a confusing thing though as you're not meant to hide dice rolls in Mouse Guard.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-07, 08:44 AM
Got my box set yesterday. Yay!

The GM screen looks really handy. It's got all the skill factors on it and all the creatures. It's a confusing thing though as you're not meant to hide dice rolls in Mouse Guard.
Hide your notes? Lol. It's true...this is partially because the GM Screen has gained the connotation of also being there to give the GM handy information, besides hiding his rolls.

Xefas
2011-09-11, 10:11 PM
So, a friend of mine posed a question about the Mouse Guard world today that I wasn't able to answer.

They have bakers. But, where do they get the milk to use for baking? Milk and butter aren't strictly necessary, I guess, but they're important for making a lot of things. Not to mention cheese. Are you telling me these mice don't have cheese? They don't butter there biscuits in the morning? They use some kind of terrible non-milk based biscuit?

My view of Mouse Guard has been shaken to its core.

Knaight
2011-09-11, 10:28 PM
So, a friend of mine posed a question about the Mouse Guard world today that I wasn't able to answer.

They have bakers. But, where do they get the milk to use for baking? Milk and butter aren't strictly necessary, I guess, but they're important for making a lot of things. Not to mention cheese. Are you telling me these mice don't have cheese? They don't butter there biscuits in the morning? They use some kind of terrible non-milk based biscuit?

My view of Mouse Guard has been shaken to its core.

There might be something along the lines of milk in certain plants. Coconuts are the obvious solution, but they really don't fit in with the setting, but there are others. Then there are the not plant options, which are a bit squick inducing, to use TV tropes terminology.

UserClone
2011-09-12, 10:15 AM
Well, it's fairly well established in MG that mice are the "most" sentient creatures in the Mouse Territories. For example, rabbits barely speak Mouse, though they can be bargained with for some of the mice's grain. so perhaps they bargain with [...hm, moles?] for their milk, and the mice give them some, say, grubs and worms.

Sanguine
2011-09-12, 11:41 AM
Well, it's fairly well established in MG that mice are the "most" sentient creatures in the Mouse Territories. For example, rabbits barely speak Mouse, though they can be bargained with for some of the mice's grain. so perhaps they bargain with [...hm, moles?] for their milk, and the mice give them some, say, grubs and worms.

I never got the impression Rabbits were less intelligent than mice. I always thought their difficulty communicating was merely because "Mouse" is a second language.

UserClone
2011-09-12, 12:27 PM
That's the beauty of GMing: making the world your own. In my world, perhaps the mice were the first creatures to achieve true sentience and the other creatures are in various stages of cultural development (rabbits, for example have the intelligence of today's gorrilas and/or chimpanzees, but with the ability to vocalize), and in your world, the animals are all already sentient, but exist in such distinct cultures as to have developed separate languages.

Can't emphasize enough how important it is that everyone come up with their own (where do they get their dairy products?) questions, and Play to Find Out.

Kerrin
2011-09-12, 05:45 PM
Tiny goats!

http://ottbsuccessstories.com/successstories/wp-content/gallery/tucks-st-aly-20090515/tuck-st-aly_20090519_006.jpg

Knaight
2011-09-12, 08:04 PM
Tiny goats!

http://ottbsuccessstories.com/successstories/wp-content/gallery/tucks-st-aly-20090515/tuck-st-aly_20090519_006.jpg

My Little Pony has nothing on this.

Snails
2011-09-16, 09:27 AM

Mice? That one is an easy sell.

"Gentlemen, choose your puppet."

Indeed, they laughed. But the session gave one of my friends nightmares. Literally. (Puppetland, by John Tynes)

So I think Mouse Guard has promise for me and my friends... I will go check it out.

Ogremindes
2011-09-17, 02:18 AM
Yay! I've finally got shipping confirm!

Totally Guy
2011-09-19, 02:43 AM
I ran the beaver dam adventure from the box set this weekend. The players played Dain and Quentin.

The players didn't regulate the town and Tuk the bandit started trouble. Dain stepped in to stop him from looting and failed and picked up a condition.

They tried to demolish the dam. But the beavers won. The compromise was that they bought the town time to evacuate.

During the players turn one player rested to relieve his tiredness. The other sought out a labourer to help him with a plan he had for diverting the water further down.

Thom from the other patrol showed up and told the town he wanted to go to war and everyone should grab their weapons. The players wanted the town to build a water diverting defence using the won evacuation time. We had a speech conflict. Thom lost so he just got Tuk and his gang of thugs who were willing to fight for him.

Dain wanted to keep the beavers safe. So he convinced Thom that he'd need to source some bigger weapons as there were so many of them. Then when he got to the dam first he used his loremouse skill to warn the beavers of the attack so they went into hiding.

Meanwhile Quentin wanted to have the townsfolk use their evacuation time to build diversion defences. They lost the conflict against the spring weather so the town was destroyed. The compromise was that all the mice were fine as they were all working on the worthless diversion runway.

Players turn came up again. The characters were both afflicted by more conditions by this point. So they each spent their single checks to fix the lowest level one. This was about 10 minutes of game time; "I find a beetle and I kick it!".

GM's turn again. I had Thom suggest the group were to split the town refugees in two and head to Darkwater and Sandmason. I described the trip to Darkwater as being plagued by predators and the trip to Sandmason as being a lost path. Although Thom suggested his team go to Sandmason the players requsted that route. Thom agreed to go to Darkwater with Tuk and his group without any dice rolls.

The journey was a perilous journey conflict. The season wanted the mice to arrive injured and hungry. The season won this one. No compromise. (I should have said tired instead of hungry!)

The town then refused them entry with the mayor citing that he'd not have the budget and manpower for asylum.

We did an argument conflict. The players won handily thanks to a well played defend that restored their disposition. The minor compromise just made the team angry again they got the full conflict goal.

So the mice were given asylum and fed (which fixed their hungry condition without the need for a test). The players then dealt with their anger using their single check.

The players really enjoyed it but they hadn't worked out the benefits of hurting yourself with traits. They were getting stuck in the death spiral of accumulating more conditons than checks. I forsee them being injured for a long time unless they figure out how to make better use of the Players turn.

The other behaviour I saw was a player not helping with disposition because adding more conditions into the conflict was worse than the disposition teamwork die. That player then wanted to help the other with teamwork but not make any tests himself. I think I need to read that section of the book again becuase I couldn't remember if that was a legit move or not.

Althought it started as a one-shot the players asked if it could go on to be a campaign. :smallsmile:

Ogremindes
2011-09-22, 05:14 AM
My boxed set arrived! The rulebook seems interesting to read.

Totally Guy
2011-09-22, 05:20 AM
My boxed set arrived! The rulebook seems interesting to read.

If you need any help with it ask away here. You should see the post I made after I'd read through it for the first time... I missed certain intricacies of the system.

Sleepycrow
2011-10-15, 09:38 PM
I'd be really interested in a PbP game of Mouse guard. :)

Kerrin
2011-10-23, 07:17 PM
Ooo, I received the box set for my birthday, yay!

I've been reading the rules and so far it's interesting. There are a few things that seem quirky, but I look forward to playing a few times before drawing too many conclusions.