Feats: Weapon Finesse(B), Improved Initiative
Environment: Warm Plains
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 1-2 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: -----

A small creature with banded natural armor quickly leaps out of one of the many burrows that dot the landscape. It quickly escapes into the underbrush.

Armadillos are small nocturnal animals that spend most of their time underground. Armadillos are roughly twenty inches long, and weigh about 9 pounds.

Combat
Armadillos are rarely combatants, but their razor-sharp claws (usually used for digging) can make effective weapons.

Defensive Curl (Ex): As a move action, armadillos can curl themselves up into a ball. If they do not perform any actions afterwards, they gain partial cover (+4 to natural armor) until their next turn.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): Armadillos are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Feats: Armadillos gain weapon finesse as a bonus feat.

Skills: Armadillos have a +4 bonus racial to jump checks. When jumping, Armadillos use their Dexterity modifier rather than their Strength modifier.

Armadillos as Familiars
Spellcasters with armadillos as familiars gain +1 natural armor (or, if they already have natural armor, their natural armor increases by 1).

LOTRfan
2011-03-18, 07:41 PM
http://www.rathbonesgifts.com/Fossils/Armadillo.jpg

Dire Armadillo
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+5 (14 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +4 natural, +1 Dex), touch 12, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-4
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +4 melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -----
Special Qualities: Lowlight vision, scent
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills: Jump +6, Listen +4, Spot +3
Feats: Weapon Finesse(B), Toughness
Environment: Warm Forests
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Small)

This creature appears to be an extravagantly large armadillo, except that its claws are sharper and more elongated, and it can walk bipedally for short periods of time.

Dire Armadillos are among the largest species of Armadillos, being over 3 feet long and weighing a little less than 60 pounds. Dire Armadillos are much larger than their most common brethren, so they are not as at home in the large, open plains where many of their smaller cousins live. Instead, they live in dense forests. Dire Armadillos occasionally forage for food during the day, and as a result are not as irritated by daylight. The plates of a Dire Armadillo are rigid, so they cannot curl into balls.

Combat
Armadillos are rarely combatants, but their razor-sharp claws (usually used for digging) can make effective weapons.

Feats: Armadillos gain weapon finesse as a bonus feat.

Skills: Armadillos have a +4 bonus racial to jump checks. When jumping, Armadillos use their Dexterity modifier rather than their Strength modifier.

Dire Armadillos as Animal Companions
A Druid can select a Dire Armadillo as an animal companion at 1st level, and Rangers may select them at 4th level.

Eldan
2011-03-18, 07:51 PM
Can we also have a Glyptodon?

LOTRfan
2011-03-18, 07:57 PM
If I remember correctly, they were in Frostburn. I guess I can make another version, though. I just have to be sure not to read the stats until I'm done to prevent unconscious "inspiration." :smallsmile:

And before anyone brings it up, yes, I do realize only the South American species can curl up into the ball...

Debihuman
2011-03-18, 09:18 PM
HD is missing hp. It should be 2 hp.

AC is missing Dex modifier. Should be 17 (+2 size, +2 natural +3 Dex), touch 15, 14 flat-footed.

Armadillos only sometimes curl defensively. They also jump around when cornered.

Debby

LOTRfan
2011-03-18, 09:21 PM
Why is it I always seem to leave the AC incomplete? :smalltongue:

The amradillo has a racial bonus to jump checks, but it seems I actually forgot to mention that, so it seems that the armadillo has too many skill points. I'll correct that right now (Now that I think about it, I might trade the +1 natural armor familiar benefit for a +3 bonus to jump...).

Zaydos
2011-03-18, 09:29 PM
Personally I prefer the +1 to AC... possibly because it's game mechanically better, and possibly because it's just different than the normal +3 to X skill that your wizard will not use.

Bhu
2011-03-19, 12:32 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Fairy_Armadillo

http://www.worleygig.com/2009/11/pink-thing-of-the-day-pink-fairy-armadillo/

The worlds only purely carnivorous armadillo. Should make a nice addition :smallwink:

Blynkibrax
2011-03-19, 08:41 AM
Smooth on the outside, crunchy on the inside!

Icedaemon
2011-03-19, 10:29 AM
I quite like this creature. Especially seeing as it fits the South American/Australian fauna flavouring coupled with there being few good familiar creatures in the list so far, I would like to use it in Walufar.

Can we also have a Glyptodon?

As LOTRfan points out, the Glyptodon (which by the way is itself is in the 'dire animals' column, thus leading to the question if the Dire Armadillo is really necessary) is in the Frostburn book. It's a pretty good creature all-around and does not seem to need a replacement, at least in my mind.

EDITED:

If Bhu's suggestion is followed, I too would like to see the Pink Fairy Armadillo's stats, for the same reason as I would like to use the already statted-out armadillo.

LOTRfan
2011-03-19, 11:11 AM
Personally I prefer the +1 to AC... possibly because it's game mechanically better, and possibly because it's just different than the normal +3 to X skill that your wizard will not use.

Alright, then. I'll keep it as it is.

I quite like this creature. Especially seeing as it fits the South American/Australian fauna flavouring coupled with there being few good familiar creatures in the list so far, I would like to use it in Walufar.

Thank you, and be my guest. :smallsmile:

As LOTRfan points out, the Glyptodon (which by the way is itself is in the 'dire animals' column, thus leading to the question if the Dire Armadillo is really necessary) is in the Frostburn book. It's a pretty good creature all-around and does not seem to need a replacement, at least in my mind.

I knew that the Glyptodon was in Frostburn, but I didn't know it was in the Dire Animal section... this shouldn't be a problem, though, as I plan on using the Giant Armaillo as the base for Dire Armadillos (think regular armadillos, but three feet long and weighing about sixty-two pounds).

If Bhu's suggestion is followed, I too would like to see the Pink Fairy Armadillo's stats, for the same reason as I would like to use the already statted-out armadillo.

I'll do it, as well. It'll probably be an anti-swarm monster of some sort, judging by the real creature's eating habits.

Icedaemon
2011-03-19, 12:04 PM
How about a pink armadillo swarm, which prefers to attack insect swarms?

LOTRfan
2011-03-19, 12:14 PM
I can definitely do that. It'll be much more dangerous as a swarm than an individual (though I'll probably still make the individual, anyway).

LOTRfan
2011-03-19, 01:15 PM
I added the Dire Armadillo. Pink Fairies are next.

LOTRfan
2011-03-19, 01:18 PM
Here is a repost of my Carbuncle conversion (they originated in either 1e or 2e D&D), with some minor edits.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xAUEPwg2-ig/S6hn7AOZB1I/AAAAAAAAARE/mw7dlZ0dUZ8/s200/Carbuncle.jpg

Carbuncle
Small Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1d10+1 (6 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+1 size, +2 natural), touch 11, flat footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-4
Attack: Claw -5 melee (1d2-1 damage)
Full Attack: Claw -5 melee (1d2-1 damage)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft.
Special Attacks: Death throes
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., lowlight vision, regenerating ruby, telepathy 30 ft.
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Sense Motive +1, Spot +5, Listen +3
Feats: Alertness
Treasure: None, except head ruby
Alignment: Often Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 2-3 HD (Small)

A small armadillo burrows out of its den. It seems like a large armadillo, except it has two small horns and a ruby attached to its forehead.

Carbuncles are small magical beasts, nearly driven to extinction by treasure hunters. Despite their animalistic appearance, Carbuncles are somewhat intelligent and can communicate via telepathy. Carbuncles mainly wish to be left alone, so they can go about their business (what exactly they do alone is unknown, but most speculate that they mainly admire themselves).

Carbuncles are most well known for the ruby growing from their foreheads. Unlike mundane rubies, this gemstone is constantly growing with the carbuncle. It values this gemstone very much, and loath to give it away. In fact, most Carbuncles use their ability to will themselves dead before handing it over. If the ruby is still attached to a carbuncle when it dies, it shatters into a million worthless pieces.

Combat
Carbuncles hate combat, and usually will themselves into a painless death when confronted (which may very well explain their very low numbers). Those who do fight tend to do so because they are protecting friends, family, treasure, or some other cause. Carbuncles do not fear death.

Death Throes (Sp): If a Carbuncle feels threatened, they may will themselves to just drop dead as a full round action. By doing this, they release a form of nonlethal death throes, in which an aura of despair sets in. Any creature within 20 ft. of the Carbuncle when this occurs must succeed on a will save (DC 13), or be affected as if hit with a crushing despair spell cast from a 10th level Sorcerer. DC is wisdom based.

Regenerating Ruby (Ex): All Carbuncles have a ruby attached to their forehead. Most of these rubies (70%) are worth 500 gp. Although rarer, some Carbuncles (25%) have rubies worth 1,000 gp. A select few (5%) have rubies worth 5,000 gp. They almost never willingly give up this ruby, but they may be convinced with a diplomacy check or forced with a charm monster spell. A Carbuncle who loses its ruby in this way finds that another starts to grow. It reaches full size 1d4 months after the loss of the last one. Roll to see the value of the new ruby.

Bhu
2011-03-19, 06:39 PM
Dire Pink Armadillos would be natural land sharks :smallwink:

Icedaemon
2011-03-19, 07:12 PM
Oddly, the land shark or Bulette, is actually the result of odd parallel evolution and more closely related to the rhinocerotoids.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-19, 07:41 PM
If I breed this with a hedgehog, do I get a Sandslash (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sandslash_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)? :smallbiggrin:

Lhurgyof
2011-03-20, 01:32 AM
If I breed this with a hedgehog, do I get a Sandslash (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sandslash_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)? :smallbiggrin:

No, actually. The animal sandslash is based on is the pangolin (http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/brandondavidson/5FAx7SuYKLxlHWbSthCsQhG6v851xJHFyUQoyIrfQ8Rlkk7VHW f1ytezUvsG/pangolin.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYRT34AOQ&Expires=1300602974&Signature=KJdSukGob7sCV0lKlQfOsVVYc6s%3D).

LOTRfan
2011-03-20, 08:19 AM
Uh, the pangolin link is broken.

LOTRfan
2011-03-20, 04:46 PM
I think I just created the smallest D&D creature with the Animal type ever. :smalleek:

The Swarm version will be up shortly. Anyone have any idea for familiar benefits?

http://www.itsnature.org/Ground/images/article-pics/Pink_Fairy_Armadillo.jpg

Armadillo, Pink Fairy
Fine Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), burrow 5 ft.
Armor Class: 23 (+8 size, +1 natural, +4 Dex), touch 23, flatfooted 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-16
Attack: Claw +12 melee (1d2-4)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +12 melee (1d2-4)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Attack Swarm
Special Qualities: Scent, lowlight vision, light sensitivity, swarm damage immunity
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +10, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +5, Hide +20
Feats: Weapon Finesse(B), Lightning Reflexes
Organization: Solitary, pair, or colony (8-16)
Challenge Rating: 1/6
Advancement: -----

This extremely small animal is furry, with a pink shell covering it. It is digging a burrow with its small claws.

Pink Fairy Armadillos are extremely small animals, one of the smallest in the world. It is so small, in fact, that most people do not even realize they exist. Pink Fairy Armadillos usually live near ant hills or other insect nests, where they can feed constantly. Pink Fairy Armadillos get their name for their pink, leathery natural armor. Pink Fairy Armadillos are 3.5 inches long, and weigh less than .1 pounds.

Combat
Pink Fairy Armadillos always run from threats, unless attacking swarms of small insects.

Attack Swarm (Ex): Pink Fairy Armadillos have claws specifically evolved to grasp large groups of small creatures to consume. The claws of Pink Fairy Armadillos deal normal damage to swarms composed of fine-sized creatures.

Immunity to Swarm Damage (Ex): Pink Fairy Armadillos have thickened natural armor and rough hair that is specifically designed to prevent being damage by swarms of fine size. Pink Fairy Armadillos are immune to damage from swarms made up of fine-sized creatures, and are immune to their nauseate ability.

Pink Fairy Armadillos as Familiars
Masters who choose Pink Fairy Armadillos are immune to swarm damage from swarms made of diminutive creatures or smaller.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-20, 05:49 PM
D'awww! Its like an armored miniature giant space hamster! Boo has a new friend!

Bhu
2011-03-20, 07:59 PM
I think I just created the smallest D&D creature with the Animal type ever. :smalleek:

The Swarm version will be up shortly. Anyone have any idea for familiar benefits?

AC Bonus? HP is already taken

LOTRfan
2011-03-20, 08:14 PM
AC Bonus? HP is already taken

I don't know about AC bonus, to be honest. I mean, the standard armadillo stats already do that, and why would you choose a weaker (and far more easy to kill) familiar for the same benefit?

EDIT: Then again, at low levels enemies will need a natural twenty to even hit a Pink Fairy....

Zaydos
2011-03-20, 08:25 PM
I don't know about AC bonus, to be honest. I mean, the standard armadillo stats already do that, and why would you choose a weaker (and far more easy to kill) familiar for the same benefit?

EDIT: Then again, at low levels enemies will need a natural twenty to even hit a Pink Fairy....

I'd choose Pink Fairy over normal assuming the same bonus for multiple reasons:

It's cuter
Fine size is +6 to AC and attack rolls
Dex of +4 instead of +3 (also Armadillos' AC is off, should be +3 Dex instead of +2) so even better touch AC by comparison and offsets the loss of natural armor; also a +1 more to hit.
Tiny has no reach, same with fine, Reach, AC, and Touch attack bonus are what matter for a familiar's combat ability; that and Su/Sp abilities only available on Improved Familiar
Immunity to swarms/anti-swarm capabilities; only versus Fine swarms which aren't many (most are diminutive) but it's something
It's cuter

As a familiar pink fairy's only disadvantage is 5-ft of land speed. It's actually harder to kill since HD/hp become based off of the master's.

Edit: By the time most of these will be important game mechanically they will also cease to be important due to Share Spells + Transmutations. It's also not unheard of for familiars to double up on the same ability. Go for flavor, if you're optimizing a familiar its with Share Spell or Improved Familiar.

LOTRfan
2011-03-20, 08:31 PM
Okay, I admit that I forgot about the "Hp = 1/2 master's total" thing.

Okay, but the logic is still true, just reverse the initial roles I had (having the standard armadillo be the weaker version). Perhaps I should give the standard version something else?

EDIT: I just read you're edit. What the heck? I'll keep it the same. I'll just adjust the armadillo's AC, though, to fix the math.

Lhurgyof
2011-03-20, 11:16 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LbccUVbSRd8/SGPwbQrTKoI/AAAAAAAACLg/Tj9BcyOgxMQ/s400/Pangolin+1.jpg

Should work now, that's a pangolin.

Also, some pangolin stats would rock.

unosarta
2011-03-20, 11:21 PM
Those Pink Fairy Armadillos could seriously mess up a commoner. 23 AC means that no one will hit them, +12 means that they will probably always hit, and the fact that they deal at least one damage on every attack means that they will be knocking a commoner unconscious in two blows, with the commoner unable to do anything. Seriously. They are worse than house cats.

Bhu
2011-03-21, 01:31 AM
I meant an AC Bonus to the caster as its familiar ability LOTR

ZardozSpeaks
2011-03-21, 04:08 AM
Huh, I'm no armadillo expert, but most armadillo's I've seen would be small creatures. Which makes me think Dire Armadillos should be at least medium.

LOTRfan
2011-03-21, 05:53 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LbccUVbSRd8/SGPwbQrTKoI/AAAAAAAACLg/Tj9BcyOgxMQ/s400/Pangolin+1.jpg

Should work now, that's a pangolin.

Also, some pangolin stats would rock.

Sure, I'll just have to do some research, first.

Those Pink Fairy Armadillos could seriously mess up a commoner. 23 AC means that no one will hit them, +12 means that they will probably always hit, and the fact that they deal at least one damage on every attack means that they will be knocking a commoner unconscious in two blows, with the commoner unable to do anything. Seriously. They are worse than house cats.

It's even worse when you realize they attack in swarms. :smallwink:

I meant an AC Bonus to the caster as its familiar ability LOTR

Don't worry, I know what you meant.

Huh, I'm no armadillo expert, but most armadillo's I've seen would be small creatures. Which makes me think Dire Armadillos should be at least medium.

Really? Most are just under three feet long, which would be tiny. If you don't mind me asking, which region of the world do you live in?

ZardozSpeaks
2011-03-21, 11:32 AM
Really? Most are just under three feet long, which would be tiny. If you don't mind me asking, which region of the world do you live in?

I don't live anywhere with Armadillos, Ive only seen them in zoos. Now that I think of it, its been a long time since I've seen one. Perhaps they seemed bigger when i was a kid.

Lyndworm
2011-03-21, 12:29 PM
Most species of armadillos are actually Small sized (2-4ft, 8-60lbs). The nine-banded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-banded_Armadillo) armadillo (~1.5ft, ~17lbs and the only U.S. species), for example, is a fairly typical armadillo in size and behavior. The three (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Three-banded_Armadillo)-banded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Three-banded_Armadillo) armadillos (two species averaging ~1.25ft, ~3lbs) are atypical in both size and behavior; first in that they would be considered Tiny (1-2ft, 1-8lbs), second in that they are the only "balling" armadillos in the world.

Dire armadillos seem to be based off of the giant armadillo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Armadillo) (which the example picture represents), which is the largest species and at the high end of the Small size category; giant armadillos average around 3ft and 60lbs, but have been reported at ~4ft and ~150lbs. I suggest having a progression for them in the Advancement entry like that found in many other Animals, allowing them to reach Medium size at 4HD.

Also of note is the Fine (<6 inches, <2 ounces) Pink Fairy Armadillo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Fairy_Armadillo), though that was mentioned previously.

Biology is sort of a hobby of mine. :smallredface: All of that being said, keep up the good work, LotRFan. I've been following your dinosaurs for a while now, and I like what I see there as well as here. Good job.

Icedaemon
2011-03-21, 01:20 PM
Perhaps the pink fairy armadillo familiar should offer the master immunity to swarms' Nauseate ability, probably with some other anti-swarm and/or anti-insect bonuses? Highly specialized, but very useful in the right situations.

LOTRfan
2011-03-21, 05:04 PM
I don't live anywhere with Armadillos, Ive only seen them in zoos. Now that I think of it, its been a long time since I've seen one. Perhaps they seemed bigger when i was a kid.

Alright. As mentioned below, you probably are correct in the assumption that most are small creatures, but the one I based the stats on are small. I'll be sure to add in a medium advancement for Dire Armadillos. :smallsmile:

Most species of armadillos are actually Small sized (2-4ft, 8-60lbs). The nine-banded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-banded_Armadillo) armadillo (~1.5ft, ~17lbs and the only U.S. species), for example, is a fairly typical armadillo in size and behavior. The three (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Three-banded_Armadillo)-banded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Three-banded_Armadillo) armadillos (two species averaging ~1.25ft, ~3lbs) are atypical in both size and behavior; first in that they would be considered Tiny (1-2ft, 1-8lbs), second in that they are the only "balling" armadillos in the world.

You are correct, and I modeled the stats after the three-banded ones (even if I used a different picture).

Dire armadillos seem to be based off of the giant armadillo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Armadillo) (which the example picture represents), which is the largest species and at the high end of the Small size category; giant armadillos average around 3ft and 60lbs, but have been reported at ~4ft and ~150lbs. I suggest having a progression for them in the Advancement entry like that found in many other Animals, allowing them to reach Medium size at 4HD.

Correct again. I'll be sure to include a medium advancement.

Also of note is the Fine (<6 inches, <2 ounces) Pink Fairy Armadillo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Fairy_Armadillo), though that was mentioned previously.

Yep, the stats for the swarm itself will be up shortly.

Biology is sort of a hobby of mine. :smallredface: All of that being said, keep up the good work, LotRFan. I've been following your dinosaurs for a while now, and I like what I see there as well as here. Good job.

Thank you! Biology is a hobby of mine as well (specifically prehistoric biology, if it wasn't obvious already). :smallsmile:

Perhaps the pink fairy armadillo familiar should offer the master immunity to swarms' Nauseate ability, probably with some other anti-swarm and/or anti-insect bonuses? Highly specialized, but very useful in the right situations.

I like that idea. I'll include that shortly.

Also, on a final note, Obrysii created stats for the Dire Pangolin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9222311&postcount=1) on this site. I still intend to make the common pangolin, but I thought that his stats were pretty good and that it deserved recognition for quality (even if DR 10/Adamantine seems a little odd).

LOTRfan
2011-03-21, 08:15 PM
Swarm, Pink Fairy Armadillo
Fine Animal (Swarm)
Hit Dice: 3d8 (13 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), burrow 5 ft.
Armor Class: 23 (+8 size, +1 natural, +4 Dex), touch 23, flatfooted 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/---
Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Full Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Attack Swarm, Distraction
Special Qualities: Scent, lowlight vision, light sensitivity, swarm damage immunity, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +2
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +7, Hide +20, Spot +3
Feats: Weapon Finesse(B), Lightning Reflexes, Alertness
Organization: Solitary, or colony (3-5 swarms)
Advancement: -----

A huge group of small, pink animals rush forward, their small claws bared.

When frightened, large groups of pink fairy armadillos cluster together and attempt to flee from targets. Their small size make it almost impossible to kill the large mob.

Combat
Pink Fairy Armadillos always run from threats, unless attacking swarms of small insects.

Attack Swarm (Ex): Pink Fairy Armadillos have claws specifically evolved to grasp large groups of small creatures to consume. The claws of Pink Fairy Armadillos deal normal damage to swarms composed of fine-sized creatures.

Immunity to Swarm Damage (Ex): Pink Fairy Armadillos have thickened natural armor and rough hair that is specifically designed to prevent being damage by swarms of fine size. Pink Fairy Armadillos are immune to damage from swarms made up of fine-sized creatures, and are immune to their nauseate ability.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature that begins its turn with a swarm in its square must succeed on a DC 11 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Swarm Traits: Immunity to weapons damage, vulnerable to area effects, immunity to mind affecting effects, not subject to critical hits or flanking. Cannot be tripped, bull rushed, or grappled (they cannot grapple, either). Susceptible to gust of wind.

Temassasin
2011-03-21, 09:04 PM
now think if each one was a familiar

LOTRfan
2011-03-22, 04:47 PM
If anyone is interested, the Creature Catalog converted the Armadillephant (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1633) to 3.5e.

LOTRfan
2011-03-23, 07:13 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z1IySUT3S5Y/TPWvd1eYsOI/AAAAAAAAACM/5dRjpfvVrRk/s1600/Pangolin+1.jpg

Pangolin
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 10 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +3 natural, +2 Dex), touch 13, flatfooted 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-6
Attack: Claw +3 melee (1d4-2)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +3 melee (1d4-2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Razor Scales, Rancid Musk
Special Qualities: Scent, lowlight vision, defensive curl
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 11
Skills: Climb +12, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +4
Feats: Weapon Finesse(B), Alertness
Environment: Warm Forests
Challenge Rating: 1/3
Advancement: 2-3 HD (Small)

A small, heavily armored creature waddles across the open area, quickly running for the cover of the bushes ahead.

Pangolins are small animals related to anteaters. They are excellent climbers, and often live in dense forests. The natural armor of pangolins overlap and are razor sharp, which causes most predators to shy away from attacking them. If this isn't enough, Pangolins can spray a noxious-smelling slightly acidic liquid at enemies. Pangolins have long tongues to eat insects (some can reach lengths of 16 inches). Pangolins are about 39 inches long, and weigh 17-19 pounds.

Combat
Pangolins prefer to curl up into a defensive ball, to better protect themselves and take advantage of their sharp scales.

Defensive Curl (Ex): As a move action, pangolins can curl themselves up into a ball. If they do not perform any actions afterwards, they gain partial cover (+4 to natural armor), and the damage dealt by their razor scales ability increases to 1d6, until their next turn

Rancid Musk (Ex): When threatened, a pangolin can spray a slightly acidic substance at attackers every 1d4 rounds. This creates noxious fumes within a single 5 ft. square (which must be adjacent to the pangolin), which lasts for 1d6 rounds. Those who walk within it must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10), or be nauseated while remaining inside the square and 1d4 rounds afterwards. The save DC is Constitution based.

Razor Scales (Ex): When a foe hits a pangolin with a natural or light weapon, the foe takes 1d4 damage as he scrapes himself against its scales.

Skills: Pangolins get a +2 bonus to climb and swim checks, and both are treated as Dexterity based skills.

Pangolins as Familiars/Animal Companions
Pangolins can be chosen as familiars. The master of such a familiar gains a +3 bonus to climb checks.

Druids can chose pangolins as animal companions at 1st level, while rangers can at 4th.

Pangolin-skin Scale armor
Scale mail made from pangolin scales have the same statistics as regular scale mail, except any creature who attacks the wearer with a light or natural weapon suffer 1d6 damage (for a medium-sized wearer). Scale mail made from pangolin scales costs an extra 10 gp.

LOTRfan
2011-03-23, 07:54 PM
Do with Pangolins.

unosarta
2011-03-23, 08:08 PM
What is the skill breakdown for the Pangolin. I can't make heads or tails of it. As it is, the bonuses seem to high, when compared to the racial bonus in the description.

LOTRfan
2011-03-23, 08:17 PM
Alright, the Pangolin put its skill point into spot and listen; two of each. They get a +2 bonus from their wisdom, and an additional +2 for Alertness (+6 each).

Swim, they have their racial bonus (+2) and their dexterity bonus (also +2).

Pangolins get a +8 bonus from their climb speed, a +2 racial bonus, and a +2 dex bonus.

Does that clear it up? :smallsmile:

unosarta
2011-03-23, 08:29 PM
Does that clear it up? :smallsmile:

Ah, didn't account for the Climb speed. That makes sense. Everything else looks awesome.