PDA

View Full Version : 3.0/3.5 Gestalt character with free LA

Andon Belur
2011-03-18, 09:42 PM
My group is doing a potentially very fun game with powerfully weird characters being the idea. To balance the gestalt the DM's using the tier system available here: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5293.0 (like Wizard is tier 1, Warrior tier 6...etc) limiting us to a rating of Tier 8 or Higher (which I suppose I could work on), but we get free +5 LA, producing 1st Level characters with a much higher ECL.
Anyway
I could use a little help. I am trying to play a weird, but cool inter-dimensionally flavored martial artist type character. So far I have a Feral Half-Celestial Xeph psychic warrior/monk...which might work. I am worried about potential Monster HD being used to balance the Tier issues with the other Characters- but I'll address the DM with that.
What I'm having the most trouble with is SETTLING on that psychic warrior/monk idea. With Feral I get natural attacks and several coinciding boons and Half-Celestial of course is BRUTAL. Yet, the Lawful Good alignment restriction might be a bit much.

In any case I'm considering other combinations geared toward the basic premise such as going psychic warrior/soulknife even or swordsage/soulknife to keep some of the monk advantage in high wisdom when/if I make it to 2nd level. (we're starting at 500 xp, not that it matters, we'll level together and as a team). Either of these would free up alignment restrictions. I'd consider Warblade, but I'm kind of using INT as a dump stat since this is point buy and I want to beef up my battle stats the most since I have to at least TRY to fill some of the tank role in addition to possibly doing the scouting.

Some of the other characters are pretty crazy and one has monk levels (a half-illithid death grappler) and then there's a dragon druid and a vampiric half-dragon. The setting is going to be planar, but we start in an experimental giant terrarium.

Any thoughts, advice or just questions about what I was thinking are welcome.

[Nevermind that I'm having trouble getting HeroForge to work to help with speedy character creation for options. Stupid lack of EXCEL.]

Urpriest
2011-03-18, 10:04 PM
Do you actually mean Tier 8 or higher? Is anything Tier 8?

Jarian
2011-03-18, 10:06 PM

I believe he means the two sides must add up to 8 or more (tier 1 wizard can't gestalt with anything, since it can't reach 8), unless I miss my guess entirely.

Quietus
2011-03-18, 10:07 PM

I think he means if you add your two tiers together, you can't go over 8.. except that'd just mean you can't combine two really weak things...

Eh, whatever.

Andon Belur
2011-03-19, 04:16 AM
I believe he means the two sides must add up to 8 or more (tier 1 wizard can't gestalt with anything, since it can't reach 8), unless I miss my guess entirely.

No, you're right on it. So I guess the only question I should ask is if it is wiser for me to have those add up with a monster rating and a decent class or if I'm on a good track as it is. Thanks for your input on the matter.

Re'ozul
2011-03-19, 11:45 AM
Things for the LA:

Dry Lich (+5) Dread Necromancer//some form of full BAB melle type (Undead warrior)

Vivacious Creature (+5) Healer//Beguiler (Helpful Trickster)

Daconic (+1) Pixie (+4) Warlock//Rogue (Straight up trickster)

Andon Belur
2011-03-19, 04:37 PM
Thanks! I'll toss that by the group.