PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar for d20!

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-19, 12:16 AM
So i am a WH40K nut and Dark Eldar are the next army i am planning to collect. I found myself falling in love with them because they are so EVIL!

So i find myself wanting to convert some WH40K to d20 since there is not that much of a Dark Heresy interest in my area.

so without further ado i am going to start with a Dark Eldar race to provide a framework to build monsters (and possibly classes!) on.

Dark Eldar Race

The Dark Eldar are a race in decline, since the Fall they have slowly been fading away, even if they will not admit it to themselves. Nevertheless they are determined to continue to ravage the planes feeding their endless appetites. Because that is the only way they can refill the slowly leaking buckets of their souls. That are being drained away bit by bit, by the ravenous Daemon Slannesh.

Personality: The Dark Eldar are evil to a fault, it is only through unrepentant evil that they are able to keep themselves alive. Most if not all Dark Eldar will go out of their way to inflict pain on everyone they pass. Also as one of the oldest and most advanced races in the universe they are usually also arrogant, this is their greatest flaw as it often causes them to underestimate their enemies. However, their skills that have been honed to a razor edge through thousands of hours of training, often allow them to survive in situations that would be certain death for a lesser being. The Dark Eldar live in one massive city, Commoragh, suspended in the darkest corner of the Astral Plane.

Physical Description: All Eldar are taller that humans, but are also thinner. They stand from about 5’10” to 6’10”. They are more frail than humans and usually weigh between 130 and 200 pounds. Most Dark Eldar live most of their lives in Commoragh, the Dark City and as such are usually very pale. Their hair is usually black but is sometimes dyed a variety of garish colours. Dark Eldar of a certain Kabal sometimes have tattoos of their Kabal symbols or other designs. Dark Eldar have long life spans, they are nearly immortal as long as they can replenish their draining souls with sufficient amounts of pain. This amount invariably increases as time wears on.

Relations: The Dark Eldar are universally despised just like any evil race, but more than that the site of a Dark Eldar in spiked armour bearing a long, bladed, arcane rife awakens fear in every sentient being, because their race has been preyed upon by the Dark Eldar for as long as it has existed.

Alignment: 99.99% of Dark Eldar are totally evil, however they can be Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic. Members of the Kabals are usually Lawful because of the rigid hierarchy they exist in. Members of Helion or Wych cults tend towards Neutrality or Chaos because of the savage unpredictable lives they lead.

Dark Eldar Lands: The Dark Eldar are unique among the worlds as their domains are not measured in kingdoms or planes, the Dark Eldar have no interest in taking and holding land. As such they rule only one city Commoragh. This city exists mostly in the Astral Sea but touches on almost every plane in the cosmos.

Religion: The Dark Eldar worship themselves, they have no need of gods and those that they did have long ago were destroyed by the Daemon Prince Slannesh as he was born.

Language: The Dark Eldar speak Commorite. They seldom dirty their tongue with the languages of lesser beings and usually employ translation spells or items rather than learning the language.

Names: (Coming Soon!)

Adventures: Dark Eldar adventurers are usually on their own, otherwise they would be working for a Kabal in the Dark City. They have been cast out or exiled from the Dark City for some reason and most Dark Eldar adventurers are looking for a way to make that up and to get back into the City and find a home in a Kabal, were they can once again begin to climb the chain of ascension.

More to come!

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-19, 11:57 AM
no replies? this makes me sad :smallfrown:

anyway, on to abilities

Dark Eldar Racial Traits

Medium: As medium creatures the Dark Eldar receive no bonuses or penalties for their size

Dark Eldar base land speed is 40ft

+4 Dexterity +2 Charisma -2 Constitution

1 extra feat at first level; the Dark Eldar spend their entire lives honing their ablilities, they train vitualy from the day they are born. This feat can only be one a fighter could take as a bonus feat.

4 extra skill points at first level +1 skill points each level after; the Dark Eldar seek new sensations and experiences constantly, because of this they have a broad skill base from which to hone their skills.

Low Light Vision

+2 Racial Bonus to Listen and Spot checks

Automatic Languages: Commorite. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Celestial, Elven, Infernal, Sylvan, Undercommon

Preferred Class: Kabalite

Level Adjustment +2

Partysan
2011-03-19, 12:08 PM
Dexterity might be +4, eldar are rather extreme in that regard and it's a +2 LA without SLAs and such after all.
Also, why Wisdom? For craftworld eldar I'd understand, but the dark eldar are rather... insane.

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-19, 12:13 PM
Dexterity might be +4, eldar are rather extreme in that regard and it's a +2 LA without SLAs and such after all.
Also, why Wisdom? For craftworld eldar I'd understand, but the dark eldar are rather... insane.

Dark Eldar are perfectly sane, they do what they do for a very good reason.

what i was thinking for wisdom was:

They are scary, so not charisma (i think?)
They fear sorcery so i dont want them to have an inteligence bonus so they are encouraged to play wizards
They aren't strong
They aren't tough

So wisdom?

but yeah +4 Dex is a good idea, i shall edit

DM

Partysan
2011-03-19, 12:17 PM
I don't think Wizards would exist as a class in a WH40k environment and 40k psionics seem rather willpower- and thus wisdom-based to me. It's not that it bugs me a lot, I just don't think it's a perfect fit.

Do you plan to reflect their consumption of tortured souls mechanically?

I, Dashing Cube
2011-03-19, 12:44 PM
As written, these are between 1 (although they are on the higher side of 1 LA) and 2 LA (on the low side). 4 skill points per level is huge for 1 LA, but isn't worth 2 LA. I'd recommend giving them some more abilities (maybe related to their cruel and backstaby nature, like 1d6 sneak attack for free?), and keeping them at 2, or lowering the skills to 2 or 3 per level, and making them LA 1.

Icedaemon
2011-03-19, 12:53 PM
Charisma bonus seems perfectly acceptable. They just don't typically train diplomats and seducers, but Dark Eldar should be excellent liars and capable of easily scaring even battle hardened troops.

As for the LA bonus, I suggest that instead of the sneak attack, they get some form of Properly Paranoid aspect - they expect their peers to stab them in the back and thus should not often be flat-footed.

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-19, 01:40 PM
you know, i think you guys have a point.

i was thinking about what i wanted players to do with this race and i decided that i don't want them to be optimized to use any kind of magic. No arcane magic, no divine magic, no incarnum and no psyonics.

instead they get spell like abilities related to their armor and equipment, as such they will be needing to make a lot of Use Magic Device checks, which work off of charisma.

this also opens up the backstory of a Dark Eldar sorcerer or warlock, exiled from the Dark City because of their dangerous magical powers.

EDIT: on the LA front

cant be flat footed is interesting, but most dark eldar will already have a massive initiative bonus (most classes/abilities will focus on dex) and they will also generally be sneaky so its kind of redundant.

what about some weapon proficiencies? Weapon Proficiency (Splinter Weapon) and Armour Proficiency (Dark Eldar)

Partysan
2011-03-19, 05:34 PM
The idea of equipment-based SLAs is interesting. I'm not too fond of SLAs myself, but it's interesting nonetheless. If those require UMD rolls then the Kabalite class might give them the ability to succeed automatically on equipments they're trained with. Kabalite could also be an AFC for fighters I guess. Dracon/Archon is a prestige, though Wytches are another base class in my book. No idea about Haemonculi.
I certainly like the concept on non-magic-users. Usually those would recieve ways to defend against magic, but in a 40k universe this doesn't make as much sense, so especially if they fear magic this might be very appropriate.

About proficiencies, I guess those weapons should be martial for them, the splinter pistol and simple blade should be simple. They don't use any weapons but their own after all. Wytch weapons or agonizers etc. might be exotic. But that's obligatory in an environment where every faction has their own special weaponry.

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-19, 09:04 PM
The idea of equipment-based SLAs is interesting. I'm not too fond of SLAs myself, but it's interesting nonetheless. If those require UMD rolls then the Kabalite class might give them the ability to succeed automatically on equipments they're trained with. Kabalite could also be an AFC for fighters I guess. Dracon/Archon is a prestige, though Wytches are another base class in my book. No idea about Haemonculi.
I certainly like the concept on non-magic-users. Usually those would recieve ways to defend against magic, but in a 40k universe this doesn't make as much sense, so especially if they fear magic this might be very appropriate.

About proficiencies, I guess those weapons should be martial for them, the splinter pistol and simple blade should be simple. They don't use any weapons but their own after all. Wytch weapons or agonizers etc. might be exotic. But that's obligatory in an environment where every faction has their own special weaponry.

Most of the weapons are going to be exotic for non eldar and just about all will be Martial

i was thinking the same about classes and prestige classes

For a Heamonculus i was thinking that it would be similar to lichedom

DM

Hawkfrost000
2011-04-04, 02:47 PM
Im back!

sorry for the not posting ness, i was on vacation

anyway im back and im thinking about Power From Pain

for non WH40K nuts it is an ability that the Dark Eldar get than enhances their prowess in battle after they have destroyed an enemy unit. Basically runs like this.

after 1 unit is destroyed they gain Feel No Pain, an ability that lets them survive all but the most grievous wounds.

after 2 units they gain Furious Charge, which enhances their abilities in close combat.

after 3 units they become Fearless and will never run from a fight.

so, suggestions?

i was thinking about something based on a barbarians rage with increasing abilities as he kills more people.

the problem with this is that although it will work well with PC dark eldar it will work very poorly with dark eldar as monsters.

Hawkfrost000
2011-04-05, 07:09 PM
Kabalite

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/089/a/b/capture_and_control_by_beckjann-d3cim5d.jpg
For Commoragh! For the Black Heart

A member of the Kabal of the Black Heart[/center]

Adventures: When the Kabals leave the seclusion of the Dark City it is to pillage loot and enslave. The vast majority of Kabalites seek only wealth and status and use these raids to accomplish those goals. Many Kabalites, who wander the world also seek redemption for a crime or an artefact or treasure that will allow them to return to the dark city and destroy their opposition.

Characteristics: Kabalites are fast and fragile, they strike hard from the shadows using their poisoned weapons and acrobatic skills to get into the best position to strike and then to strike has hard as possible, to cause maximum pain. As the kill or wound their enemies they grow stronger as the pain of their deaths enhances their perverse metabolism. Their ablilities are often enhanced by strange and terrible magical items and weapons.

Alignment: Kabalites are usually Chaotic Evil but can be any alignment as the goals and means used by each Kabalite vary widely.

Religion: The Dark Eldar as a race worship no gods, but they often pay homage to the Dark Muses, a group of beings that epitomise carnal and selfish vice.

Background:

Races: Almost all Kabalites are Dark Eldar, a few Elves, Eldar and Drow have been trained by the more eccentric Kabals but they are very rare.

Other Classes:

Role:

Adaptation:

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Kabalite's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Dexterity is importent to Kabalites as it enhances both their attacks and their ability to defend themselves. Charisma is the second most important ability as it affects their ability to use the magical devices that protect them and strengthen their attacks. A high constitution score is useful to protect them from the side effects of magical devices and drugs.
Alignment: society is usually chaotic neutral being slanted towards evil
Hit Die: d6
Starting Age: As Dwarf Fighter
Starting Gold: As Cleric

Class Skills
Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis),
Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and
Use Rope (Dex)
Skill Points at First Level: (x + 6) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Kabalite
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0| Poisoned Attacks, Power From Pain, Dark Eldar Weapons Training

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Evasion

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1| React +1

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1| Uncanny Dodge

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1 |Bonus Feat,

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|React +2

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2| Improved Poison

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|React +3

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Bonus Feat

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3| Enhanced Poison

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4|React +4

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4| Excruciating Strike
14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4| Opportunist

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Bonus Feat, React +5

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5| -

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5| Defensive Roll

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|React +6

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6| Iron Mind
20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6| Bonus Feat, Ultimate Poison Attacks[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:
A Kabalite is proficient with simple weapons as well as all non exotic Dark Eldar weapons
A Kabalite can wear light or medium armour but not shields.

Poisoned Attacks:
The Dark Eldar use a variety of virulent poisons than enhance the lethality of their weapons tenfold. Any splinter weapon or weapon that inflicts piercing or stabbing damage can be coated in poisons. When a poisoned weapon hits it inflicts an extra d10 of damage if the attacker fails a DC15 Will save.

Power From Pain:
See Dark Eldar racial ability, any non Dark Eldar Kabalite gains this ability but all bonuses are halved.

Dark Eldar Weapons Training:
A Kabalite gains Weapon Expertise with one of the following: Splinter Rifle, Shortsword, Splinter Pistol

Evasion:
At 2nd level and higher, a Kabalite can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save (such as a red dragon’s fiery breath or a fireball), he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Kabalite is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Kabalite (such as one who is unconscious or paralysed) does not gain the benefit of Evasion

React:
At 3rd level, a Kabalite gains an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from unseen foes, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves or +1 dodge bonus to AC made to avoid traps and sneak attacks. These bonuses rise to +2 when the rogue reaches 6th level, to +3 when she reaches 9th level, to +4 when she reaches 12th level, to +5 at 15th, and to +6 at 18th level. React bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Uncanny Dodge:
Starting at 4th level, a Kabalite can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a rogue already has uncanny dodge from a different class (a Kabalite with at least two levels of barbarian, for example), she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Bonus Feat:
At the 5th 10th 15th and 20th the Kablite gains a bonus feat, this feat can only be selected from the feats that could be selected by a fighter as bonus feats.

Improved Poisoned Attacks:
The will save on a Kabalites poisoned attacks increases to DC 20 and the damage is increased to 2d10

Improved Uncanny Dodge:
A Kabalite of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked; he can react to opponents on opposite sides of her as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target does. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Enhanced Poison
The will save on a Kabalites poisoned attacks increases to DC 25 and the damage is increased to 3d10

Excruciating Strike: A Kabalite with this ability can us their weapons to cause such pain that his blows weaken and hamper them. An opponent damaged by one of his poisoned attacks also takes 2 points of Strength damage. Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged ability.

Defensive Roll: The Kabalite can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would. Once per day, when she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the rogue can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the rogue must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, she takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. He must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute his defensive roll— if he is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, he can’t use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the Kabalite’s evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Opportunist: Once per round, the Kabalite can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the Kabalite’s attack of opportunity for that round. Even a Kabalite with the Combat Reflexes feat can’t use the opportunist ability more than once per round.

Iron Mind: This ability represents the Kabalite’s iron hard mind, trained to resist the effects of magic. If a Kabalite with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on his saving throw.

Ultimate Poison Attacks:
The will save on a Kabalites poisoned attacks increases to DC 35 and the damage is increased to 5d10

Partysan
2011-04-06, 10:59 AM
The class is a somewhat nice frame, but an empty one. I don't really see its strong points. It reminds me of the monk, a combat class without full BAB (I contest that! Even a standard Cabalite has the same KG and BF as a full-fledged Space Marine!) with good defenses but nothing much else.
1. This is a pure Combat Class. Give it Full BAB.
2. What's Weapon Expertise?
3. The react ability seems redundant on a class with high ref and dex focus.
4. Opportunist is nice, but seems a bit small for level 16.
5. The poison is nice but not sufficient as only unique and offensive class ability.
6. How about class features for the use of their equipment? Would be nice for 40k.
-more to come, dinner calls-

Hawkfrost000
2011-04-06, 11:17 AM
1. This is a pure Combat Class. Give it Full BAB.

i was worried it might be op, but here we go

What's Weapon Expertise?

sorry thats from 4.0 i mean weapon finesse

3. The react ability seems superfluous on a class with high ref and dex focus.

its kinda superfuous, it was my attempt to fix trap sense. i will keep thinking about it.

4. Opportunist is nice, but seems a bit small for level 16.

may switch it to lvl 14

5. The poison is nice but not sufficient as only unique and offensive class ability.

Power From Pain will be a significant and powerful ability, just as soon as i figure it out.

also the Kabalite does have access to some unique weapons, armour and items

6. How about class features for the use of their equipment? Would be nice for 40k.

working on it :smallsmile:

DM

Partysan
2011-04-07, 08:56 AM
sorry thats from 4.0 i mean weapon finesse

In 3.5 Weapon Finesse applies to all weapons that can be used with it, but it's a good feat for the class. Maybe add Dex to damage somewhen later.

its kinda superfuous, it was my attempt to fix trap sense. i will keep thinking about it.

Yes, but trap sense is for Barbarians who have poor reflex saves. I'm sure you'll figure out some nice defensive ability. Maybe I'll think up a suggestion.

may switch it to lvl 14

It's kind of "alone" in there. How about having the class features synergize with each other? Same goes for Slippery Mind.

Power From Pain will be a significant and powerful ability, just as soon as i figure it out.

also the Kabalite does have access to some unique weapons, armour and items

Sounds promising. But as long as PFP is a racial ability it doesn't do anything to the Cabalite.

working on it :smallsmile:

DM

Further suggestions:
1. Maybe have additional weapons come in later, like the Dark Lance.
2. A fighting style like the Ranger's (Gun or Pistol+Blade) might not be out of place.
3. Why not have the Cabalite be promoted to Sybarite at a higher level?^^
4. How do you plan to handle WBL? In a 40k scenario it might be more fitting to be able to request certain equipment when embarking on a mission, higher levels giving access to better and more exotic equipment.