PDA

View Full Version : Gem Dragon Shamans, Half-Dragons, and Dragonshard Adepts

SPoD
2011-03-19, 03:51 AM
In preparation for an all-psionic campaign I'm working on, I'm extending various dragon-related PC options to gem dragons. I'm starting with the half-dragon and the dragon shaman. The biggest problem is that two of the five gem dragons share the same damage type, sonic; I tried to remedy the situation by giving them different "rider" effects, and describing one as loud and the other as ultrasonic.

While I welcome feedback, I'm mostly posting these here so I can reference them later, and to share with anyone else who might get use out of them.

Gem Half-Dragons

There are five six seven varieties of gem dragon that can sire half-dragons: Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Obsidian, Sapphire, and Topaz. Their spawn are as the regular half-dragons, except as follows:

Type: Gem half-dragons have the Psionic subtype.

Breath Weapon: The breath weapons of gem dragons do less damage than those of their chromatic and metallic cousins, inflicting only 6d6 points of damage. However, each variety of shaman has additional conditions that their breath weapon can inflict. The type of damage is as follows:
Amethyst: 60-foot line of force. The breath weapon affects incorporeal and ethereal creatures fully, without the normal 50% miss chance.
Crystal: 30-foot cone of blinding light. Targets that fail their saving throw are dazzled for 1d4 rounds. Undead creatures take double damage.
Emerald: 30-foot cone of loud sonic keening. Targets that fail their saving throw are deafened for 1d4 rounds. Crystalline creatures take double damage.
Obsidian: 60-foot line of fire. Creatures failing their saving throw catch on fire (Reflex DC 15 to put out, 1d6 fire damage per round until flames are extinguished).
Quartz: 30-foot cone of acid slime. Creatures failing their saving throw are entangled for 1d4 rounds.
Sapphire: 30-foot cone of inaudible sonic whine. Targets that fail their saving throw are dazed for 1 round. Crystalline creatures take double damage.
Topaz: 30-foot cone of dehydation (as horrid wilting). Creatures with the Water subtype take double damage, as do plants. Does not affect nonliving creatures.

Immunities: Gem half-dragons are immune to sleep and paralysis effects, plus additional immunities based on its dragon variety.
Amethyst: Immune to damage from force effects; the half-dragon is still affected by physical barriers like a wall of force.
Crystal: Immune to being dazzled or blinded, as well as damage from sunburst, sunbeam, or any spell with the Light descriptor.
Emerald: Immune to sonic damage and being deafened.
Obsidian: Immune to fire.
Quartz: Immune to acid.
Sapphire: Immune to sonic damage and being dazed.
Topaz: Immune to water-based and dehydration damage, including nonlethal damage from thirst.

Naturally Psionic: Gem half-dragons gain 3 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.

Gem Dragon Shamans

As the regular dragon shaman, except as follows:

Psionic: All of the dragon shaman's supernatural and spell-like class abilities (Draconic Aura, Breath Weapon, Touch of Vitality, and Commune with Dragon Spirit) are considered psionic; gem dragon shamans are considered psionic characters and may take psionic feats or become psionically focused. They do not gain power points.

Class Skills: Autohypnosis (wis) is added to the class skill list for all gem dragon shamans.

Totem Dragons: There are six varieties of gem dragon that may be chosen as a totem dragon; each grants different class skills as shown below. Because all gem dragons are True Neutral, they accept shamans from any of the Neutral alignments (Neutral Good, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Neutral, or True Neutral):

{table=head]Dragon|Alignments|Class Skills
Amethyst|Any neutral|Diplomacy, Knowledge (psionics), Sense Motive
Crystal|Any neutral|Bluff, Diplomacy, Survival|Cone of light
Emerald|Any neutral|Gather Information, Knowledge (History), Sense Motive
Obsidian|Any neutral|Appraise, Knowledge (the planes), Search
Quartz|Any neutral|Psicraft, Listen, Spot
Sapphire|Any neutral|Jump, Listen, Survival
Topaz|Any neutral|Hide, Move Silently, Swim[/table]

Draconic Aura (Ps): In addition to the seven listed auras, the gem dragon shaman has access to two additional auras:
Mind-Shielding: Resistance to damage from mind-affecting spells or powers equal to 5 x your aura bonus.
Focusing: Bonus on Autohypnosis and Concentration checks equal to aura bonus; any ally who ceases concentration to maintain a psionic power has that power last for an additional 1 round per point of aura bonus.

Draconic Adaptation (Ps or Ex): At 3rd level, you take on some aspect of your totem gem dragon.
Amethyst—Ethereal Senses (Ps): By spending a swift action, you can extend your senses into the ethereal plane for 1 round per 2 class levels (at will).
Crystal—My Light/Elfsight (Ps): As both psionic powers simultaneously, except that the cone of light extends 40 ft. and can be manifested or dismissed as a swift action (Elfsight-always active; my light-at will).
Emerald—Escape Detection (Ps): As the psionic power (always active).
Obsidian—Control Flames (Ps): As the psionic power, except that the duration is unlimited as long as the dragon shaman concentrates on the power (at will).
Quartz—Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions (Ps): As the psionic power (at will).
Sapphire—Spider Climb (Ps): As the spell, except you can only target yourself (at will).
Topaz—Water Breathing (Ex): You can breathe underwater indefinitely and can freely use spells and other abilities underwater (always active).

Breath Weapon (Ps): The breath weapons of the shamans of the gem dragons do less damage than those of chromatic and metallic dragons, inflicting only 1d4 points of damage per two class levels. However, each variety of shaman has additional conditions that their breath weapon can inflict. The type of damage is as follows:
Amethyst: Line of force. The breath weapon affects incorporeal and ethereal creatures fully, without the normal 50% miss chance.
Crystal: Cone of blinding light. Targets that fail their saving throw are dazzled for 1d4 rounds. Undead creatures take double damage.
Emerald: Cone of loud sonic keening. Targets that fail their saving throw are deafened for 1d4 rounds. Crystalline creatures take double damage.
Obsidian: 60-foot line of fire. Creatures failing their saving throw catch on fire (Reflex DC 15 to put out, 1d6 fire damage per round until flames are extinguished).
Quartz: 30-foot cone of acid slime. Creatures failing their saving throw are entangled for 1d4 rounds.
Sapphire: Cone of inaudible sonic whine. Targets that fail their saving throw are dazed for 1 round. Crystalline creatures take double damage.
Topaz: Cone of dehydation (as horrid wilting). Creatures with the Water subtype take double damage, as do plants. Does not affect nonliving creatures.

Immunities (Ex): At 9th level, gem dragon shamans gain immunity to the energy type of their breath weapon, as follows:
Amethyst: Immune to damage from force effects; you are still affected by physical barriers like a wall of force.
Crystal: Immune to being dazzled or blinded, as well as damage from sunburst, sunbeam, or any spell with the Light descriptor.
Emerald: Immune to sonic damage and being deafened.
Obsidian: Immune to fire.
Quartz: Immune to acid.
Sapphire: Immune to sonic damage and being dazed.
Topaz: Immune to water-based and dehydration damage, including nonlethal damage from thirst.

Dragonshard Adepts

As the dragonfire adept, except as follows:

Psionic: The dragonshard adepts spell-like and supernatural powers are psionic, not magical, in nature. Invocations are considered psi-like abilities, and the Breath Weapon is a psionic supernatural ability. Dragonshard adepts are considered psionic characters and may take psionic feats or become psionically focused. They do not gain power points.

Breath Weapon (Ps): The dragonshard adept's breath weapon is a hail of tiny razor-sharp crystals. It inflicts 1d6 slashing damage at first level, +1d6 additional damage at 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th levels. Damage reduction is effective against this breath weapon; the damage is considered to come from a psionic slashing weapon.

Breath Effect: Use the following list of available breath effects; this completely replaces the list available for dragonfire adepts:

{table=head]Min. Lvl.|Breath Effect Name
2nd|Burning Breath
2nd|Psychic Breath
2nd|Shining Breath
5th|Psionic Breath
5th|Shaped Breath
5th|Slime Breath
5th|Ultrasonic Breath
5th|Wilting Breath
10th|Cloud Breath
10th|Confusing Breath
10th|Enduring Breath
10th|Thunder Breath
15th|Force Breath
15th|Penetrating Breath
15th|Ruby Breath of Sardior[/table]

Burning Breath
Minimum Level: 2nd
Your breath weapon deals fire damage instead of regular crystal damage. Any creature failing its saving throw catches on fire (1d6 fire damage per round, Reflex save DC 15 to extinguish).

Psychic Breath
Minimum Level: 2nd.
Your breath weapon attacks the targets' minds rather than their bodies, dealing psychic damage instead of slashing damage. The saving throw against your breath weapon becomes a Will save, and your breath is considered a mind-affecting effect.

Shining Breath
Minimum Level: 2nd.
Your breath weapon deals light damage instead of slashing damage. It deals double damage to undead, and dazzles all creatures for 4 rounds. A successful Reflex save halves the duration to 2 rounds.

Psionic Breath
Minimum Level: 5th
You may augment your breath weapon damage by spending psionic power points. For every 2 points spent, the damage of your breath weapon increases by +1d6 and the save DC increases by +1. You may choose to apply one other breath effect that you know to the same breath weapon.
Special: Learning this breath effect does not give you psionic power points to spend; you must acquire them from another source.

Shaped Breath
Minimum Level: 5th.
As for dragonfire adept.

Slime Breath
Your breath weapon covers the area in acidic slime instead of dealing slashing damage. Creatures in the area are entangled for 1d4 rounds and take 2d4 points of acid damage per round that they are entangled. A successful Reflex save halves the duration.

Ultrasonic Breath
Your breath weapon acts like a shatter spell instead of dealing slashing damage. If targeted against a crystalline creature, it inflicts double the normal slashing damage as sonic energy. You can only apply this breath effect to a cone-shaped breath weapon.

Wilting Breath
Your breath weapon dehydrates living creatures instead of dealing slashing damage. It deals double damage to plants or creatures with the Water subtype, but does not affect undead or constructs.

Cloud Breath
Minimum Level: 10th.
As for dragonfire adept.

Confusing Breath
Rather than dealing damage, your breath weapon confuses all living creatures in the area for 2 rounds. A successful Will saving throw negates this effect.

Enduring Breath:
As for dragonfire adept.

Thunder Breath
As dragonfire adept.

Force Breath
Minimum Level: 15th.
As dragonfire adept.

Penetrating Breath
Your crystal breath weapon damage is considered to be from an adamantine weapon for purposes of overcoming damage reduction or hardness. In addition, it counts as being aligned with whatever alignment you possess (so that the breath weapon of a Lawful Good dragonshard adept counts a being both Lawful and Good).

Ruby Breath of Sardior
Your breath weapon attacks the psionic mind, becoming a reddish wave of power. It does not deal slashing damage, but instead drains psionic power points equal to the damage your breath weapon would normally inflict. It also causes creatures to lose their psionic focus. A successful Will saving throw halves the number of power points lost and prevents the loss of focus. This is not a mind-affecting effect.
When you use Ruby Breath of Sardior, you also take a number of points of damage equal to twice your class level, which can't be lessened by damage reduction or any similar benefit. You must have a neutral alignment to learn or use this breath effect.

Invocations (Ps): All invocations are psi-like abilities and do not incur a chance of arcane spell failure when wearing armor. The bonus from the draconic knowledge invocation applies on Knowledge and Psicraft checks, rather than Knowledge and Spellcraft. Also, dark foresight and impenetrable barrier are added to the list of available invocations for dragonshard adepts from the list of warlock invocations.

classy one
2011-03-19, 04:42 AM
I approve of your efforts. Gem dragons get no love at all.

I like most of what you did, like how you differenitated the two sonic breath weapons. Always felt that was an editing mistake by WotC.

Not sure why the Topaz would be able to breath under water, if anything it seems they hate water.

You should include the Obsidian dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030124b) as well since they are debatably the strongest of the bunch.

Keep up the good work.

Hazzardevil
2011-03-19, 07:28 AM
I like what you've done but what about the dragonfire adept?
10 times cooler than any dragon shaman.

Debihuman
2011-03-19, 07:47 AM
Very nice.

@ classy one -- the MM2 differentiates the two breath weapons (the web enhancement has a copy-paste error). Also, topaz dragons have the Water subtype and can breathe water. The only reason their lairs are dry is to protect their hoards.

Obsidian dragons are smarter but not more powerful than topaz dragons. Not only would obsidian dragons avoid topaz dragons but their environmental preferences make conflicts between them rare. However, I could see a conflict between obsidian dragons and red dragons. Again, it is HD, Str, and Con that favors the red dragon.

Debby

Burnheart
2011-03-19, 09:19 AM
# Amethyst: Immune to damage from force effects; the half-dragon is still affected by physical barriers like a wall of force. This is from the dragon shaman bit.

Overall this looks great and i am looking forward to seeing what other dragon classes you expand in this way.

SPoD
2011-03-19, 02:39 PM
Not sure why the Topaz would be able to breath under water, if anything it seems they hate water.

It's because the Topaz themselves can breathe water, just as the black dragon can.

You should include the Obsidian dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030124b) as well since they are debatably the strongest of the bunch.

Because I didn't know about them. Thanks, I will add them later.

I like what you've done but what about the dragonfire adept?
10 times cooler than any dragon shaman.

Dragonfire adept is next in the process, but dragonfire adept doesn't need as much adaptation because it's sort of "generic dragon" instead of tied to one specific dragon breed.

But I should point out that I will ALSO be boosting the power of the dragon shaman in the campaign in question. I just didn't want questions of power balance to overshadow the different totem dragons.

I may post my updated version of the class in this thread later, if there's interest.

EDIT: Obsidian dragons added. Rather than increase the damage back up, I added the ability to catch creatures on fire. Also, I kept them as "Any neutral" even though obsidian dragons are listed as Neutral Evil. Since it will be a non-evil campaign, it didn't help me any to add an evil-only version.

lightningcat
2011-03-19, 03:39 PM
Dragonfire adept is next in the process, but dragonfire adept doesn't need as much adaptation because it's sort of "generic dragon" instead of tied to one specific dragon breed.

But I should point out that I will ALSO be boosting the power of the dragon shaman in the campaign in question. I just didn't want questions of power balance to overshadow the different totem dragons.

I'm always interested in the verious tweeks that people make.

SPoD
2011-03-19, 06:04 PM
OK, I've added the gem dragon inspired version of the dragonfire adept, the dragonshard adept. I had to basically rewrite the list of breath effects to prevent them from getting damage types that aren't available to gem dragons, but other than that it was a pretty simple change.

EDIT: I'm also going to add Zaydos' Quartz Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9607445&postcount=493), because it's interesting and different. I'll skip the Jade and Ruby dragons because they're too similar in breath weapon type to blue and red.