PDA

View Full Version : Fun low-mid level suggestions. [3.5]

Forb
2011-03-19, 03:52 AM
Currently playing in a game where I am creating a new character, at level 8.
Last character was kind of a fun, whatever build for me to test the waters with this DM. (If you're curious, it involved a Greataxe and a Whip.)

He puts some restrictions on content, but he's not too clear with them. Some books are banned outright, such as BoVD and BoED.

Another point where I lose some clarity with him is on the rules, he likes to change them around when it suits him. Sometimes drastically, so I want to create a character that is versatile in the rules needed. (ie Trip build didn't go so well.)

I would like to avoid a Dexterous based character, because I tend to play them a bit much. Also tend to play physical damaging characters too much. Humans too.

Some things I am considering:
Master Thrower
Ur-Priest
Dwarven Defender
Wu-Jen
Legendary Leader.

I'm not exactly looking for an optimized build, but as long as I can keep it interesting while still having fun I am open to all suggestions.

Quirp
2011-03-19, 04:29 AM
If Tome of Magic is allowed you could play a Binder. At level 8 you have just hit the sweet spot of being able to bind two vestiges.
You can fill almost any role in a party and if the DM doesn´t let your tricks work you can just change them on the next day.

gorfnab
2011-03-19, 05:09 AM
Currently playing in a game where I am creating a new character, at level 8.
Last character was kind of a fun, whatever build for me to test the waters with this DM. (If you're curious, it involved a Greataxe and a Whip.)

He puts some restrictions on content, but he's not too clear with them. Some books are banned outright, such as BoVD and BoED.

Another point where I lose some clarity with him is on the rules, he likes to change them around when it suits him. Sometimes drastically, so I want to create a character that is versatile in the rules needed. (ie Trip build didn't go so well.)

I would like to avoid a Dexterous based character, because I tend to play them a bit much. Also tend to play physical damaging characters too much. Humans too.

Some things I am considering:
Master Thrower
Ur-Priest
Dwarven Defender
Wu-Jen
Legendary Leader.

I'm not exactly looking for an optimized build, but as long as I can keep it interesting while still having fun I am open to all suggestions.
If you're looking for sheer versatility consider a Factotum. Here's a nice handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0).

You said you didn't want a dexterous character yet Master Thrower is one of your options. The way around this is to go Warblade 5/ Bloodstorm Blade 4/ Master Thrower 5/ Bloodstorm Blade (or more Warblade) 6. Now to make this fun you could go with Goliath Warblade 5/ Hulking Hurler 3/ Bloodstorm Blade 4/ Master Thrower 5/ Bloodstorm Blade 2 or 3 if you can buy off the LA.

For an Ur-Priest build I usually go with Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8. It's actually very versatile and has a nice theme to it. Plus it can heal the con damage from Hellfire using the Naberius Vestige.

I don't know to much about Wu-Jens, however a build that might work for them is Wu-Jen 5/ Warblade 1/ Jade Phoenix Mage 10/ Abjurant Champion 4. Basically you end up combining the spell Transcend Mortality from Complete Mage with the Emerald Immolation ability from Jade Phoenix Mage so that you can go nova and then blow yourself up to avoid becoming a pile of dust.