PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Way to Craft/Grow Symbiotes by a Player?

Dencero
2011-03-19, 01:01 PM
This thought has been tickling in the back of head ever since I started to design a character for this new campaign I'm doing with some friends. I'm going to be a Factotum/Chirugeon and plan to keep my party armed with grafts, craft poisons to use on the battlefield, and use Leadership to get a group followers and cohorts to use for my surgeries. But then I started thinking: What about symbiotes?

I had an image of my character working by candlelight, growing Symbiotes in a lab, only to give them to my party.

So tell me: How are symbiotes created? And can I, as a player, make them?

WinWin
2011-03-19, 01:13 PM
Not too familliar with a lot of Eberron material, but Impure Prince is a PrC that grows them.

Some symbiotes are outsiders and therefore summonable.

Someone more knowledgable about Daelkyr may be able to help here. Goblin experiments from a sourcebook I have read somewhere. They have an affinity for symbiotes.

Alleine
2011-03-19, 03:26 PM
AFAIK, there is no RAW way to obtain a symbiont except through encountering one in the wild or purchasing one using the table in one of the Eberron books. However, you could simply take the prices of those symbionts and run them through the item creation stuff to figure out how much XP it would cost to grow one. Maybe homebrew a feat that allows you to make them?

Prime32
2011-03-19, 09:15 PM
The daelkyr halfblood from Magic of Eberron gets a free symbiont, and can enter the Impure Prince PrC mentioned above.

Lhurgyof
2011-03-19, 09:18 PM
This thought has been tickling in the back of head ever since I started to design a character for this new campaign I'm doing with some friends. I'm going to be a Factotum/Chirugeon and plan to keep my party armed with grafts, craft poisons to use on the battlefield, and use Leadership to get a group followers and cohorts to use for my surgeries. But then I started thinking: What about symbiotes?

I had an image of my character working by candlelight, growing Symbiotes in a lab, only to give them to my party.

So tell me: How are symbiotes created? And can I, as a player, make them?

In Dark Sun, there are living items/grafts. You need feats and a skill to do it, though. It's called life-shaping.

Link:http://athas.org/products/LSH