View Full Version : [PF] Doublestrike & Vital Strike.

Pink
2011-03-19, 01:08 PM
Hello, I have a rules question.

I'm looking at making a Two-weapon Warrior Fighter Archtype. One of the abilities of this is:

Doublestrike (Ex)

At 9th level, a two-weapon warrior may, as a standard action, make one attack with both his primary and secondary weapons. The penalties for attacking with two weapons apply normally.

There is also the line of feats known as Vital Strike:

Benefit: When you use the attack action, you can make one attack at your highest base attack bonus that deals additional damage. Roll the weapon’s damage dice for the attack twice and add the results together before adding bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), precision-based damage, and other damage bonuses. These extra weapon damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, but are added to the total.

My question is this, can one use the doublestrike ability to make two vital strike attacks?

Edit: and as an additional question, can one Vital Strike on an AoO?

Siosilvar
2011-03-19, 01:19 PM
Strictly speaking, Doublestrike (as quoted) is not the attack action (for Vital Strike). So no.

It's probably not too unreasonable, though.

The White Knight
2011-03-19, 01:27 PM
The Attack action is a specific standard action wherein you make a single attack. Doublestrike is another specific standard action wherein you make two attacks. Doublestrike does not involve making an Attack action, and Vital Strike thus cannot apply.

An attack of opportunity is a situation that allows you to make an attack against an offending target. This is not an Attack action, as standard actions cannot be taken except on your turn. Vital Strike thus cannot apply.

This is not explicitly spelled out anywhere, but I seem to recall one of the game designers discussing it somewhere and indicating that this was the intent (sadly, I cannot cite a source, so take that with a grain of salt). In the spirit of giving melee combatants nice things, however, feel free to try it out or suggest it to your DM.

Pink
2011-03-19, 01:34 PM
thanks for the quick replies. I'll talk it over with him, but I'm not too hopeful without a solid rule backing.