PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer spell list review

HiddenLineage
2011-03-19, 01:46 PM
So hey everyone, new here and finally wrapped my mind around arcane casters in D&D. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on improving my spell list, or if it's alright as is?

0 level:
Detect Magic
Light
Flare
Dancing Lights
Caltrops
Prestidigitation
Ghost Sound

1st level:
True Strike
Grease
Ray of Enfeeblement
Magic Missle
Mage Armor

2nd level spell:
Invisibility
Alter Self
Mirror Image
Wings of Cover
Ray of Stupidity

3rd level spells:
Phantom Steed
Ray of Dizziness
Spell Vulnerability
Haste

4th level spells:
Wings of Flurry
Dimension Door
Enervation
Polymorph

5th level spells:
Teleport
Draconic Might
Wall of Force
Telekinesis

6th level spells:
Disintegrate
Illusory Pit
Ruby Ray of Reversal

7th level spells:
Evil Glare
Arcane Spellsurge
Mordenkainen’s Magnificent
Mansion

8th level spells:
Maddening Whispers
Wrathful Castigation
Invisibility, Superior

9th level spells:
Shapechange
Timestop
Gate

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-19, 04:26 PM
So hey everyone, new here and finally wrapped my mind around arcane casters in D&D. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on improving my spell list, or if it's alright as is?

0 level:
Detect Magic
Light
Flare
Dancing Lights
Caltrops
Prestidigitation
Ghost Sound All good here.

1st level:
True Strike
Grease
Ray of Enfeeblement
Magic Missle
Mage Armor Hmmm... after a short period of time, I'd switch out Mage Armor with Shield. You can replace Mage Armor with +1 Twilight Mithral Armor. Shield bonuses, particularly ones that also stop magic missiles automatically, are harder to find.

Also remember that True Strike is a standard action to cast. That does severely limit its use, assuming you are sticking to Core. And unless you are planning on using a LOT of touch attack rolls, probably not going to be very effective.

Some alternatives include:

Enlarge Person. Not for you, for your big tank buddy to make him a bigger tank buddy. With Large size comes a 10' reach. Now he can keep those things off of you easier.

Unseen Servant. No, really, a lot of people skip this when it is a gold mine of utility. You can use it as a Trap Springer, dragging a bag of rocks out in front to trigger traps while safely out of range of the death and destruction. You can use it to open doors and chests from far enough away that you are safe. You can use it to flip switches you don't trust, but need to get flipped to get past a puzzle. in short, whatever you need to have manipulated, it can do it for you. And at hours/level, it's only a single spell for the whole day.

2nd level spell:
Invisibility
Alter Self
Mirror Image
Wings of Cover
Ray of StupidityOh, I like this setup, I really do. Alter Self can be a bit cheesy to some people, depending on what you use it for.

I take it Invisibility is for the Rogue? Because you already have correctly gotten Mirror Image for yourself. Remember, making a Balance check (which Grease force) also negates Dex bonus to AC unless you have 5 or more ranks. This one could be replaced, if you wanted to.

I noticed you didn't get Glitterdust. May I ask why not? Will save or be Blind, AND exposes invisible opponents. And it's NOT a mind-affecting, which means it is completely viable throughout your career.

Ray of Stupidity is a good nerf-bat, but it's a penalty rather than damage. Touch of Idiocy is actual damage to all three caster stats, although you will want to Reach it for best results.

3rd level spells:
Phantom Steed
Ray of Dizziness
Spell Vulnerability
Haste Haste, check. Phantom Steed, check. You've got the two best ones here.

Ray of Dizziness is a good debuff, but you don't have anything targeting Fort yet. May I suggest Stinking Cloud as a No SR Fort Save or Loose effect?

Spell Vulnerability is a situational spell. How often do you expect to use this? If the answer is 'a lot', then by all means. But with a limited number of spells known, you have to ask yourself if this is really worth it.

I notice you don't have Dispel Magic. That might be a problem.

4th level spells:
Wings of Flurry
Dimension Door
Enervation
Polymorph I see no problems here, although DimDoor might be obviated by Teleport. And I strongly suggest Black Tentacles as a lockdown and battlefield control spell for anything short of a melee beast. Good for shutting down opponent casters and rogues and the like.

Make sure your GM is okay with all the forms you will be using with Polymorph. Some uses will get books thrown at yu.

5th level spells:
Teleport
Draconic Might
Wall of Force
Telekinesis I'm not familiar with Draconic Might. I hope it's not a personal effect, though.

Why Wall of Force and Telekinesis? Okay, Wall of Force is not bad, sure, but Telekinesis is kind of... umm... yea.

May I humbly suggest, as an option, Cloudkill? Con damage, even on a save, is fun. And it'll combo nicely with your Wall of Force.

6th level spells:
Disintegrate
Illusory Pit
Ruby Ray of Reversal No Greater Dispel Magic? Hope someone in the party picks it up.

I also like Disintegrate. I don't know what Ruby Ray of Reversal does, but if it does what I think it does, it's going to be a lot of fun.

I don't see Contingency, I hope you have a way of getting access to it.

Why illusory Pit, by chance? I'd much rather have either Contingency or GDM.

7th level spells:
Evil Glare
Arcane Spellsurge
Mordenkainen’s Magnificent
Mansion

8th level spells:
Maddening Whispers
Wrathful Castigation
Invisibility, Superior Decent spell list, although without Contingency, you may wish to consider Greater Shadow Evocation. Greater Prying Eyes is effectively True Sight without components, and the ultimate in scouting.

9th level spells:
Shapechange
Timestop
GateYep, those are the big three.

These are simply my opinions, and as such, are not to be taken as gospel. I happen to enjoy a bit more battlefield control than you apparently do.

HiddenLineage
2011-03-19, 09:24 PM
Draconic Might is a buff to Str and Cha, and Sorcerers cast it at +1 caster level. And I can cast it on anyone. I've replaced a few spells since I posted it,gonna look at it more closely after reading your post.

Swapped out the following spells so far for the following

Evil Glare: Waves of Exhaustion
Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Mansion: Limited Wish
Maddening Whispers: Arcane Fusion, Greater
Wrathful Castigation: Moment of Presience

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-19, 10:46 PM
Draconic Might is a buff to Str and Cha, and Sorcerers cast it at +1 caster level. And I can cast it on anyone. I've replaced a few spells since I posted it,gonna look at it more closely after reading your post.

Swapped out the following spells so far for the following

Evil Glare: Waves of Exhaustion
Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Mansion: Limited Wish
Maddening Whispers: Arcane Fusion, Greater
Wrathful Castigation: Moment of Presience

Just remember that stat buffs almost invariabally give an enhancement bonus to relevant stat. And that does not stack with an appropriate stat boosting item (i.e. Cloak of Charisma). As it is, you're paying a 5th level spell slot to do the same thing as a couple of 2nd level spell slots, unless the bonus is significantly higher than what you would get out of Eagle's Splendor, or higher than a +6.

Limited Wish is fun, but beware xp costs.

Waves of Exhaustion is not really a good idea. Friendly Fire Isn't, and it's a cone shape, which may have aiming problems when party members engage targets.

May I suggest Resistance, Superior? It's a 6th level spell that gives a +8? (it's higher than the +5 you get from the cloak of resistance) to all three saves, duration all day long. It's a wonderful spell to Chain.

I'm not a big fan of Moment of Prescience. It's an 8th level spell which is duplicated by a 5th level spell (quickened true strike), without the bonus of negating concealment. It is only really useful if you plan on exploiting spellcraft checks with Incantatrix.

In addition to the two suggestions I made previously for 8th level spells, you can never go wrong with Mind Blank, and shut down two colleges with a single buff.

Spell Turning is always a hoot. Disintegrate? Nahh, you can have that back.

gbprime
2011-03-20, 12:07 AM
There are a lot of awesome spells out there that I could suggest (Mass Flesh to Salt, for example), but many of them depend on your role in the party and what metamagic you have available. So I'll focus on some key spells I see as missing.

First... defense. Ain't nothing beats surviving a beatdown like Heart of Earth. Combine it with the Minor Shapeshift reserve feat, and you're one tough caster to pop. I'd recommend losing a 4th level spell to pick up Heart of Earth. Dimension Door seems the most expendable.

Next... transport. How many PC's plus cohorts plus mounts does your party have? Teleport has a maximum body count it can carry, so keep that in mind. Shadow Walk is a level higher but moves a lot more people in one shot.

Both spells... Dimension Door and Teleport... are not things you'll be casting all the time, and are great candidates to get in a Runestaff instead of hogging precious space in your head.

HiddenLineage
2011-03-20, 01:23 PM
Found Draconic Might's description.

The subject of the spell gains a +4
enhancement bonus to Strength, Constitution,
and Charisma. It also gains
a +4 enhancement bonus to natural
armor. Finally, it has immunity to
magic sleep and paralysis effects.
Special: Sorcerers cast this spell at +1
caster level.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-22, 10:26 AM
Found Draconic Might's description.

The subject of the spell gains a +4
enhancement bonus to Strength, Constitution,
and Charisma. It also gains
a +4 enhancement bonus to natural
armor. Finally, it has immunity to
magic sleep and paralysis effects.
Special: Sorcerers cast this spell at +1
caster level.

As enhancement bonuses, you could get better spells. If they were some other type that would be fine, but these will not stack with magic items. Sorcerers should never do with spells know, what they can do with money.

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 11:37 AM
Illusory Pit is all fun and good, but doesn't do anything against flying foes. Late game, most things fly. I'd suggest Freezing Fog instead (SpC). Its Solid Fog + Grease + 1d6 damage/rd, SR:No, Save:None. Against things Illusionary Pit would take out, the Grease effect is killer. Against things that fly, it's still Solid Fog. Solid Fog is also a dragonkiller, or at least a dragon grounder, which is incredibly useful.

I'd drop Draconic Might. Might be worthwhile to spend that 5th level spell known for a 4th level spell, namedly Greater Mirrior Image. There are just too dang many 4th level spells you need to know as a Sorcerer, and 5th level is...yea. GMI will save your bacon many many many times (my high level Conjourer just burned through 2 GMIs in 1.5 rounds which negated like, 400 damage, 3 negative levels, and the business end of a Ray of Dizziness. Like I said, useful!).