PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if an Animal Companions Intelligience increased?

Sims
2011-03-19, 07:09 PM
It says an Animal can't have more than 2 in their Int score. Since there are several ways to raise intelligience (for my entertainment haha) what would happen? Would they just learn to speak? Or disobey you? That Devotion class feature is there for a reason right? >.>

Amnestic
2011-03-19, 07:16 PM
I'd let them disobey you. Hell, they might even abandon you if you start doing things which conflicts with their viewpoint. I suppose you could just acquire a new Animal Companion if that happened though.

And they could learn to speak if they invested the skillpoints I suppose. Or you could just shove a Pearl of Speech (MIC) on their tongue.

HunterOfJello
2011-03-19, 09:19 PM
Depends on the animal. Magebred animal companions have high int.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-19, 09:36 PM
I'd let them disobey you. Hell, they might even abandon you if you start doing things which conflicts with their viewpoint. I suppose you could just acquire a new Animal Companion if that happened though.

And they could learn to speak if they invested the skillpoints I suppose. Or you could just shove a Pearl of Speech (MIC) on their tongue.

No Skillpoints needed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm#abilities). As soon as their int is pushed to 3 or higher, they automatically understand common:

Intelligence

A creature can speak all the languages mentioned in its description, plus one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. Any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise). (Emphasis added)

When the beast's Int goes to 3 or higher, it understands Common automatically, because no other language is listed in it's entry.

Sims
2011-03-19, 09:47 PM
Well it says an Animal can't have Intelligience higher than 2. So do they become not animals anymore? Magical Beasts just because of higher Int? Understanding Common would make giving them directions alot easier.

Moriato
2011-03-20, 02:46 PM
They wouldn't be able to speak, but they would understand a language, yes. You wouldn't really need tricks anymore, as you could simply tell your companion what you wanted it to do. Of course, it is still only 3 int, so they're not likely to understand anything too complicated, but things like "stay here and guard this door" or "defend that person over there" should be simple enough. I'm a fan of the Lion of Talasid PRC, which gives the "Exhalted Companion" feat as a class feature which will allow you add the Celestial template to your animal companion. One of the things that does is raise its INT to at least 3, and yes, it also does make it a magical beast instead of an animal.

Sims
2011-03-20, 02:50 PM
How high can their intelligience get before that begin thinking of betraying you? I'm thinking 8-9

Moriato
2011-03-20, 02:52 PM
How high can their intelligience get before that begin thinking of betraying you? I'm thinking 8-9

Why would they want to? I mean even with low int your animal companion isn't going to jump into a pool of lava just because you tell it to, and if you're abusive to it, it's going to leave you no matter what its int score is. I don't think a high or low intelligence would really effect this.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-20, 02:53 PM
Why would your animal companion want to betray you, unless you're one of those weirdos that uses their companion as an infinitely replenishing trap detector/food supply?

Sims
2011-03-20, 03:17 PM
Hahaha I guess I figured if I were the Animal Companion, I'd be spending every second looking for a way out XD. I guess I am just evil XD. And I guess if the Animal decided to follow you around, they shouldn't want to be trying to kill you. Even if they are a Dire Bear.

Moriato
2011-03-20, 03:24 PM
Hahaha I guess I figured if I were the Animal Companion, I'd be spending every second looking for a way out XD. I guess I am just evil XD. And I guess if the Animal decided to follow you around, they shouldn't want to be trying to kill you. Even if they are a Dire Bear.

They are an animal companion, after all, not an animal servant. There's no magical compulsion forcing them to follow you around, they're your friend. If you're abusive to them, I'd expect they'd react as any animal or follower would, and either attack you or simply leave. Of course, I for one would also count abusing your animal companion as "ceasing to revere nature" and strip a druid or ranger of their powers until they atoned somehow.