PDA

View Full Version : warhammer 40k custom land raider

gabado
2011-03-19, 08:55 PM
well, i had the idea that it would be cool to combine the redeemer and the crusader. essentially having a land raider with flamestorm cannons as well as hurricane bolters. since it has two doors on each side it would be easy to add the second set of sponsons, i would just have to take away those doors as access points, limiting me to only using the front door. how would i go about setting a point cost for this model? and were can i find just the sponson holder pieces for making the second set of guns?

Renegade Paladin
2011-03-20, 04:54 AM
For the last question, find a good bits shop. The War Store has just the sponsons and weapons for them for sale, (http://www.thewarstore.com/Smlrcbits.html) for instance. I've never had anything but good experiences ordering from them.

As for setting a point cost, I'm not sure. I gather there were vehicle design rules for one of the older editions, but I don't know much about them.

gabado
2011-03-22, 12:39 AM
thanks, that sight will actually be really helpful, but i still need ideas for how to set a point cost. a friend gave me the idea to go with the point cost for the crusader and then add half the points of the redeemer, but that seemed a little high to me, after all, I'm only adding two guns (the flamestorm cannons that is).

The Glyphstone
2011-03-22, 11:50 AM
Take the cost of a Redeemer, subtract the cost of a stock Land Raider. That gets you the 'cost' of trading the sponson weapons out. Take that cost and add it to the Crusader. Voila.

gabado
2011-03-22, 11:58 AM
Take the cost of a Redeemer, subtract the cost of a stock Land Raider. That gets you the 'cost' of trading the sponson weapons out. Take that cost and add it to the Crusader. Voila.

Thats a good idea except for the fact that the landraider costs 250pt and the redeemer costs 240pt, the laz cannons are better than the flamestorm cannons thus the normal landraider costs more.

hamishspence
2011-03-22, 11:58 AM
Is it still going to have the ability to carry troops?

The Terminus Ultra has extra turrets on the sides- but can't carry troops at all.

gabado
2011-03-22, 01:11 PM
No, I was going to have a troop carrying capacity of ten models, I see no reason why having more guns on the outside of the tank would prohibit soldures from riding inside of it.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-22, 02:15 PM
More guns = more ammo = more space needed to store ammo = less space to shove dudes into is the standard logic.

gabado
2011-03-22, 02:53 PM
True but I figgure since the crusader has an crew capacity Of 16, and the reedemer has a crew capacity of only 12, then the file for the flamers, which is the only difference between the two models, then adding the flamestorm cannons wouldnt have any effect on the cabin space, all the fuel is kept on the outside of the tank.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-22, 06:07 PM
...keeping your flamethrower ammo on the outside of your tank is usually a very bad idea. There's a reason the 3ed Hellhound was given the 'glancing hits become penetrating hits' rule.

I'd say a 10-marine/5 terminator capacity would be reasonable, same as a standard Raider. Cost-wise, you could probably stick it at the same price as a stock Raider (identical to a Crusader with extra armor built in), though depending on how you model the guns, you might run into firing arc problems.

gabado
2011-03-22, 07:06 PM
well i solved the firing arc problem by positioning the flamestorm cannons behind the hurricane bolters. i was going to call it something like the land raider broadsider or something. the strategy was, since I'm playing blood angels, to deep strike, using the scout homer beacon, in front of the enemy, then move up to engage them within template range, turn and literally broadside them. or use the "power of the machine spirit" special rule to fire at targets on ether side of the tank. after clearing out a space around the land raider, terminators would assault out of it killing the survivors. since the land raider is an assault vehicle i can do this in two turns, one turn of deep strike and firing all non flame throwery cannons, one turn of moving, firing everything, and then letting out my terminators to reek havoc on the remaining enemy squad-members.

probably wont go down exactly like that but it will surely be awesome none the less

The Glyphstone
2011-03-22, 07:13 PM
That's what I mean - with two weapons mounted on each side of the tank, you'd only be able to fire the front pair at a target directly ahead, unless you were okay cooking off all the ammo for your hurricane bolters and causing horrific internal damage to the tank when you fired the flamethrowers.

It's easy to 'fix', though - just define the flamestorm cannons as only being able to fire into the side and rear arcs of the tank, while the hurricane bolters can only target the front and side arcs.

Also, if you make the tank 260 or 265, you could justify a 'Sub-machine spirit' rule that works like the Tau Target Lock upgrade, letting you fire each of its weapons at separate targets. That'd allow you to attack enemies on both flanks, or just drive into the middle of a formation and wreak utter havoc.

EDIT: Blood angels can deep strike their land raiders? Wow...that's new.

gabado
2011-03-22, 08:53 PM
Also, if you make the tank 260 or 265, you could justify a 'Sub-machine spirit' rule that works like the Tau Target Lock upgrade, letting you fire each of its weapons at separate targets. That'd allow you to attack enemies on both flanks, or just drive into the middle of a formation and wreak utter havoc.

that would be nice, ill check with the people i play with if that would be ok, but i think that 260-265pt might be a little low, i was thinking more like 300pt.

and yes, the blood angels can deep strike their land raiders, because they cant make their engines go any faster, like they do with their predators and rhinos, they simply drop them out of thunder hawk gunships, that way they can still get into the thick of combat on the 2nd or 3rd turn as opposed to having to spend that time slowly driving through enemy fire.

if I'm able to use your sub-machine spirit idea then i will be able to fully utilize the broadsider's potential. although i think ill only let two weapons be fired at separate targets as opposed to all of them, that way i can only target at most 3 enemy squads instead of 8 (2 flamestorm cannons, 2 hurricane bolters, 1 assault cannon, 1 storm bolter, 1 multi-melta, and 1 hunter-killer missile.)

The Glyphstone
2011-03-22, 09:56 PM
Just make them literally slaved to the machine spirit(s) - any weapon that fires 'off-target' is at BS2. That'll be a stiff penalty to swallow on its own, no need to limit the number of splits. With that, I'd peg it at 275 or so. It's nasty, but it's also a very, very short-ranged threat, not significantly more dangerous than a 255-point Crusader.

(Ironically, your land raiders would get into combat quicker if they deployed on the field rather than Deep Striking.)

As for a name, call it a Land Raider Purifier - it feels more Spacemarineish than 'Broadsider'...and with the amount of point-blank damage it can unleash it deserves the name.

gabado
2011-03-22, 10:28 PM
thanks, i am going to add the multi-melta, storm bolter, and hunter killer missile like i would to a normal land raider, +10 pt each.

i definitely like the name "land raider purifier." "broadsider" could be easily confused with the tau broadsiders.

the deep strike thing is to prevent armies like the tau from delivering their devastating range 72" attacks before it could even hope to retaliate, the longest range it has is only 33" or so, the deep strike, in conjunction with the locater beacon (from my scouts who get to infiltrate/outflank the enemy and move before their first turn) that allows vehicles deep striking within 6" of the marker to deploy without scattering, will allow the purifier (thanks for the name :smallsmile:) to deploy within the first 3 rounds right in front of the enemy lines.

i say 3 rounds because of the "decent of the angels" special rule, blood angels re-roll failed checks to deploy via deep strike; and given the nature of my army (very close range) i usually don't do more than move in the first round of combat so the first turn goes by fairly quickly.