PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Mobile Fighter

Curious
2011-03-19, 09:56 PM
For those of you unfamiliar with it, the Mobile Fighter is a Fighter archetype- seen at the online SRD -that allows for a more movement-oriented Fighter build. One of it's abilities is to make a full-attack action as part of a move action. It's capstone ability is to make full-attack actions as standard actions. Now is it just me, or does the wording of these abilities mean you can actually make two full-attack actions in a turn if you move? Opinions please.

Lateral
2011-03-19, 10:00 PM
No, since presumably, taking your full-attack action as part of your move action means that you're taking a full attack and moving at the same time, using both your standard and move actions. Otherwise, you could take two move actions (one as normal, the other being a standard traded in for a move) and full attack twice anyway.

Curious
2011-03-19, 10:07 PM
Ah, yes, thank you. After a more thorough reading of the rules that seems to be exactly what it is saying. I still think it's pretty damn sweet though, being able to full-attack as a standard action must be an absolute joy for your action economy.

Runestar
2011-03-19, 10:08 PM
For those of you unfamiliar with it, the Mobile Fighter is a Fighter archetype- seen at the online SRD -that allows for a more movement-oriented Fighter build. One of it's abilities is to make a full-attack action as part of a move action. It's capstone ability is to make full-attack actions as standard actions. Now is it just me, or does the wording of these abilities mean you can actually make two full-attack actions in a turn if you move? Opinions please.

I would interpret it as basically the equivalent of spring attack (ie: rapid blitz, bounding assault). You still move and attack, just that you can attack during your move, and get to make more attacks.

Sacrieur
2011-03-19, 10:10 PM
Personally I think a Swordsage with Desert Wind would be far more effective.

Curious
2011-03-19, 10:12 PM
Really? What effect does Desert Wind have then? Keep in mind that this is a Pathfinder Fighter, so he is at least marginally competent in combat compared to ToB classes.

Lateral
2011-03-20, 07:20 AM
I'm not sure what he's talking about, but Warblade 20 is still probably more effective, what with Diamond Nightmare Blade and all.

Thurbane
2011-03-21, 08:23 PM
Not exactly what's being discussed, but I love a 3 or 4 level dip into Binder to get Paimon. Dance of Death is just awesome, not to mention other goodies (+4 untyped bonus to DEX, Whirlwind Attack with no prereqs etc.).

balistafreak
2011-03-21, 08:55 PM
Really? What effect does Desert Wind have then? Keep in mind that this is a Pathfinder Fighter, so he is at least marginally competent in combat compared to ToB classes.

He has MANEUVERS, and the Pathfinder Fighter has... at least 11 (and 20 for the capstone) levels of Fighter. I suppose he has a whole lot of bonus feats, which are almost certainly less interesting than Initiator20's maneuvers.

No, he isn't marginally competent in combat, not with 11-20 levels of Fighter. :smalltongue:

Now, if this were an ability granted at 2nd-6th level, I'd say that'd actually be quite awesome. But the first of these abilities only kicks in at 11th level, and that is simply unacceptable. :smallsigh:

Curious
2011-03-21, 09:01 PM
Hm, you know, I think I'm missing something. Most of my career has been spent in either first edition, or Pathfinder, with absolutely no interaction with 3.5 or 3.0. All my experiences with fighters have been that they are the greatest contributor to the party out of pretty much everyone, since they always slay things with the utmost ease. But then, my group also uses rolling for stats, so the end result equals a point buy of roughly, uh, 70 points or so, I think.

lightningcat
2011-03-21, 10:42 PM
You think that, and I mostly agree. But by saying that, you have now most likely turned this into a 10 page thread about how every other class (especially wizards) are better then fighters at everything, especially melee combat.

Curious
2011-03-21, 10:48 PM
And I understand that wizards, when played in an optimized manner, can in fact get away with damn near anything. I just haven't ever seen it as such in any game I've ever played.