PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good Template to add to an Animal Companion?

Sims
2011-03-20, 12:32 PM
I like the idea of a fiendish Dire Bear, but thats an inherited template. My DM has okayed the use of templates, but they have to be acquired.

dsmiles
2011-03-20, 12:36 PM
Not sure if it can be applied to non-humanoids, but Half-Golem?

EDIT:

Ever seen The Fly? You could argue for an acquired Insectile template.

Vemynal
2011-03-20, 05:22 PM
Your pet should be a human who was bitten and become a lycanthrope!

erikun
2011-03-20, 05:26 PM
Don't templates normally turn an animal into a magical beast? I thought that invalidated them from being an animal companion (under normal rules).

awa
2011-03-20, 05:32 PM
some don't but most templates do change the type (or increase the int to 3 or higher)

ShriekingDrake
2011-03-20, 09:47 PM
War Beast and Magebred are both good.

LOTRfan
2011-03-20, 09:50 PM
Magebred is inherited. I agree with Warbeast, though.

Lyndworm
2011-03-20, 10:12 PM
Technically, as soon as you put a template on an Animal Companion or an Animal, it is no longer eligible to be an Animal Companion (with very few exceptions, granted by a handful of feats and a PrC or three).

The description for the ability specifically states that the creature must be "completely typical for it's kind," which means no templates without DM fiat.

Brock Samson
2011-03-20, 10:34 PM
I've heard about it before, but what does War Beast do anyway?

MammonAzrael
2011-03-20, 10:42 PM
It increases the creature's HD by 1, it's speed by 10 ft., a minor riding bonus, +3 Str, +3 Con, and +2 Wis. And some minor skill bonuses.

Also, Mineral Warrior is a pretty awesome template you can add to an animal.

ShriekingDrake
2011-03-21, 06:02 AM
Technically, as soon as you put a template on an Animal Companion or an Animal, it is no longer eligible to be an Animal Companion (with very few exceptions, granted by a handful of feats and a PrC or three).

The description for the ability specifically states that the creature must be "completely typical for it's kind," which means no templates without DM fiat.

Actually, if we're going to be quoting rules as written, it is best to quote all the modifiers as well. On page 35 of the 3.5 Player's Handbook it says (emphasis mine) "A 1st-level druid’s companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted in the sidebar on page 36. As a druid advances in level, the animal’s power increases as shown on the table in the sidebar."

Admittedly, I never paid much attention to those first few words until today. I had always taken for granted the general consensus that druids could not have templated animal companions. However, RAW, I don't see why a 2nd level druid could not take a templated companion . . . unless there is some errata or other official ruling.