PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Unlimited Poison Healing

Thurbane
2011-03-20, 07:42 PM
Just thinking about a TO trick. The Poison Healer feat (FC1) allows you to heal 1 hp per point of CON bonus every time you successfully make a Fort save against poison. I've seen a "trick" where you get a small viper as a familiar or animal companion, then have it bite you to heal yourself.

Just wondering - could you pull off the same trick with a weapon made of Gehennan Morghuth-Iron (A&EG)? DC 12 save to avoid 1/1d4 DEX damage, and it never runs out. If you put it on a low damage weapon (say, Light Shield Spikes), you'd heal more than you took.

The downside is potentially blowing the save, and losing DEX.

Animefunkmaster
2011-03-20, 07:44 PM
1 and 20 chance says you fail and take dex damage. The ends don't justify the means.

Urpriest
2011-03-20, 07:48 PM
I don't see this as any more useful than the tactics used by the Trouserfang Dwarf and Fistbeard Beardfist, and they're funnier about it.

Douglas
2011-03-20, 07:49 PM
1 and 20 chance says you fail and take dex damage. The ends don't justify the means.
That's what Steadfast Determination is for.

Zonugal
2011-03-20, 07:51 PM
I personally tend to enjoy having my characters slamming back glasses of ale as healing potions.

I know it is less effective than having a small viper in your pants but it is leagues ahead in cool points.

Thurbane
2011-03-20, 08:05 PM
I don't see this as any more useful than the tactics used by the Trouserfang Dwarf and Fistbeard Beardfist, and they're funnier about it.
Well, equipment tends to be less fragile than small snakes...

That's what Steadfast Determination is for.
Nice. :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2011-03-20, 08:09 PM
That's what Steadfast Determination is for.Hmm... four feats to pull it off (Great Fortitude, Endurance, Steadfast Determination, and Poison Healing), so it's something a pure-classed Wizard or Sorcerer could do by level six or nine depending on race (potentially 1st, with flaws), but then there's the matter of getting your Fort save there. For a Tiny Viper (Wizard/Sorcerer familiar), that's a +9 Fort save needed to make DC 10 on a 1. We've got +2 from Great Fortitude already, so just need to get another +7 from level, items, and Constitution. If we assume level 6 (+2 Class-based Fort save, for a pure-classed Wizard or Sorcerer), we need +5 to Fort from Con and items. If we assume a base con of 14 (it's a high-end secondary stat for Wizards and Sorcerers, so it'll probably be higher), then we need another +3 from items. WBL at that point is 13,000 - enough for a +2 Cloak/Vest of Resistance (4k) and a +2 Amulet of Constitution (also 4k), which gets us there, and leaves enough left for a +2 Widget of Primary Casting Stat, and a bit of change for other stuff - and the items are all standard stuff you'd want anyway.

So you always beat the save vs. your familiar's poison. The Tiny Viper that is your familiar deals you 1 point of damage (ever round) and, with the build above, heals you 3 points, netting you what amounts to fast healing 2.

subject42
2011-03-20, 08:39 PM
Alternately, use Naberius or Strongheart vest to mitigate the ability damage.