PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Race] Lobbling (Lesser Drider) [PEACH]

Nada Rakshasa
2011-03-20, 08:13 PM
I was looking over the Bariaur race and decided to use them as a springboard to create an arachnoid race, sort of like a lesser drider. I admit, I've started with the mechanics (fluff pending), but I wanted to get some feedback on the mechanics in particular. My initial draft was described a LA +1½. I tried to buff them out to an even +2.
In terms of flavor, I really wanted to get away from the Lolth-based stuff, largely because she seems to encourage evil and such, and I'm leaning more toward neutrality. But for sake of convenience, I've placed them in the Demonweb Pits. :smallsigh: Any better suggestions would be appreciated...

LOBBLING TRAITS
Standing roughly half a foot taller than a human, a lobbling resembles a drider. Its lower body is that of a monstrous hunting spider, lightly furred with an abdomen and eight segmented legs. Its upper body is human-like, lithely muscled and lightly furred. It has three sets of eyes and a pair of mandibles extending from its jaws.
Lobbling characters have the following racial abilities and characteristics.

+4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, –2 Charisma: While physically sturdy, lobblings are often solitary and unscholarly.
Outsider: Lobblings are native to the Demonweb Pits, and thus have the outsider type. They gain the extraplanar subtype when not in the Demonweb Pits. They are not subject to spells or effects that affect only humanoids, such as charm person and dominate person. Lobblings cannot be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected.
Medium: As Medium creatures, lobblings have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: A lobbling’s base land speed is 40 feet. A lobbling has a climb speed of 20 feet. He has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks even if rushed or threatened. The hooks on his palms and feet enable him to climb walls and across ceilings, as if under the effect of a spider climb spell.
Also, lobblings add their Dexterity modifier to Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.
Darkvision 60’
Quadruped: As quadrupeds, lobblings have a +4 bonus on checks to resist bull rush and trip attacks. They have a carrying capacity 1-1/2 times greater than normal for their Strength. They must wear barding (usually made of studded leather) instead of normal armor and cannot wear boots designed for humanoids.
Natural Weapons: Bite (1d6 plus poison).
Poison (Ex): Lobblings’ poison attacks the victim’s muscles and is delivered by bite. Injury, Fortitude, initial and secondary damage 1d6 Strength. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.
Spell Resistance: Lobblings have spell resistance equal to 11 + HD.
Immunity: Immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
Weapon Proficiencies: Lobblings are proficient with nets, as well as all simple and martial weapons.
Skills: Lobblings have a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Jump and Spot checks.
Automatic Languages: Undercommon, Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Elven, Infernal.
Favored Class: Rogue.
Level adjustment: +2.

unosarta
2011-03-20, 08:57 PM
For spell resistance, I would say "11+HD," rather than class level. HD is more commonly used.

Also, for +2 LA, they have some fairly bad ability score bonuses. Yes, they are outsiders and they gains some powerful abilities, but an overall +0 for an LA +2 race is very rare. I would boost it up to +4 Dexterity, at the very least.

Nada Rakshasa
2011-03-20, 09:19 PM
For spell resistance, I would say "11+HD," rather than class level. HD is more commonly used.

Also, for +2 LA, they have some fairly bad ability score bonuses. Yes, they are outsiders and they gains some powerful abilities, but an overall +0 for an LA +2 race is very rare. I would boost it up to +4 Dexterity, at the very least.

The wording of spell resistance is as per Bariaur. :smallconfused:

I suppose you have a good point on the ability scores. :smalleek: I was still in the somewhat conservative mindset of LA +1.

unosarta
2011-03-20, 09:26 PM
The wording of spell resistance is as per Bariaur. :smallconfused:

I suppose you have a good point on the ability scores. :smalleek: I was still in the somewhat conservative mindset of LA +1.

Still. HD tends to be more common for monsters, and this race seems like it could get some action as a monster. Also HD allows the character to gain racial/other HD from another source and still allow it to affect the SR.

No problem. They could probably function with their previous ability scores, but it would be more in line with other +2 LA monsters to have higher ability scores.

Nada Rakshasa
2011-03-20, 09:52 PM
Still. HD tends to be more common for monsters, and this race seems like it could get some action as a monster. Also HD allows the character to gain racial/other HD from another source and still allow it to affect the SR.

No problem. They could probably function with their previous ability scores, but it would be more in line with other +2 LA monsters to have higher ability scores.

Fair enough, on both counts. Thank you for your input.

unosarta
2011-03-20, 10:04 PM
Fair enough, on both counts. Thank you for your input.

No problem. Do you have a picture for the monster? I am sure I could find one for you if you don't.

[Edit]: This one seems like it fits.

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs10/PRE/i/2006/111/e/1/Drider_by_Cyzra.jpg

I know it doesn't have the three eyes or spider mandible, but finding a picture with those is probably going to be a lot harder than it is worth.

Nada Rakshasa
2011-03-20, 10:17 PM
I don't have one just yet. It's a good find, but I was actually going to draw them once I had the time.

unosarta
2011-03-20, 10:31 PM
I don't have one just yet. It's a good find, but I was actually going to draw them once I had the time.

Awesome! I love when creators draw up their monsters, makes it so much more personal!

Something else I would love to see for this race; more fluff. They definitely need more details on their life, what they do, where they come from, what a Lobbling adventurer looks like, typical names, etc.

Mayhem
2011-03-20, 11:53 PM
I love when creators draw up their monsters, makes it so much more personal!

Something else I would love to see for this race; more fluff. They definitely need more details on their life, what they do, where they come from, what a Lobbling adventurer looks like, typical names, etc.
+1. I concur, I like your race mate :smallwink:.

Here's a comparison to drow:

Ability scores: A +4 to one ability is stronger than two +2s. About equal to drow.
Darkvision: Drow have 120', lobbling has 60'.
Spell resistance: Drow's is equal to class level, but this doesn't matter for PCs.
Immunities: Different than the drow's, and stronger. However the drow does have a +2 bonus to all spells and spell-like abilities which increases to +4 against enchantment spells and effects.
Quadruped: As dwarf, it's nice but not overly strong.
Skills: Different to the elve's, but equal.
Natural weapons: The drow instead have weapon proficiencies, but they aren't particularly good ones. Lobblings are also proficient in all simple and martial weapons by virtue of being outsiders.
No light blindness: Something only the drow has.
Type: Outsider.
Speed: Better than drow

Overall, it's stronger than the drow, but drow aren't very good LA+2 monsters so it's fine. Compared to the half-ogre, this is about similar power or possibly weaker.

Nada Rakshasa
2011-03-21, 08:58 PM
Awesome! I love when creators draw up their monsters, makes it so much more personal!

I'm working on that. Currently, they originate with the Zanassu, Lolth's predecessor as the Faerunian spider-deity. With the loss of their creator, a portion of their people have been claimed by Lolth as slaves and minions, but the bulk of them were scattered across the planes and make their way as scouts, craftsmen and rogues. Further fluff pending.

+1. I concur, I like your race mate :smallwink:.

Here's a comparison to drow:

Ability scores: A +4 to one ability is stronger than two +2s. About equal to drow.
Darkvision: Drow have 120', lobbling has 60'.
Spell resistance: Drow's is equal to class level, but this doesn't matter for PCs.
Immunities: Different than the drow's, and stronger. However the drow does have a +2 bonus to all spells and spell-like abilities which increases to +4 against enchantment spells and effects.
Quadruped: As dwarf, it's nice but not overly strong.
Skills: Different to the elve's, but equal.
Natural weapons: The drow instead have weapon proficiencies, but they aren't particularly good ones. Lobblings are also proficient in all simple and martial weapons by virtue of being outsiders.
No light blindness: Something only the drow has.
Type: Outsider.
Speed: Better than drow

Overall, it's stronger than the drow, but drow aren't very good LA+2 monsters so it's fine. Compared to the half-ogre, this is about similar power or possibly weaker.

Thank you, for the compliment and for the detailed break-down. Seeing how they compare to Drow has been helpful.