PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Bros 3(.5)

Maxios
2011-03-20, 08:25 PM
This is my attempt to stat out things from the Super Mario series using D&D 3.5. Later on, I may stat them out using The Hub 0.5 (Basic) rules (Which were written out by me, btw)

Goomba
Small Animal Plant
Hit Dice: 1d10 (5 HP)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+5 Natural, +1 Size), touch 9, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +0 (2 because of Weapon Finesse)/+1
Attack: Ram +4 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Ram +4 melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: N/A
Special Qualities: Armless: Goombas automatically fails any sort of skill check that involves use of arms (IE: Disable Device, Sleight of Hand, etc) check they attempt, and they may not wield weapons.

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +0
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Plains, Forests, Underground
Organization: Prone to use an minions. Intelligent Goombas have been known to set up towns
Challenge Rating: 1/3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 1-2 HD
Level Adjustment: ---

Goombas look like small, walking, brown mushrooms.

Combat: Goombas tend to charge at foes, and almost never flee.

Maxios
2011-03-20, 08:27 PM
*Reserved spot*

Sydonai
2011-03-20, 08:59 PM
Goombas should be Plants, Fey,or Aberrations. Not animals.

Chess435
2011-03-20, 09:02 PM
Yeah, most likely plant, maybe aberration. Probably not Fey, though.

Maxios
2011-03-20, 09:08 PM
Good call. Going by Mario canon, Goombas ARE walking mushrooms. I'll edit the sheet to reflect this

unosarta
2011-03-20, 09:17 PM
You should probably define "armless."

Armless: The Goomba automatically fails any Use Rope, Disable Device, or Sleight of Hand check they attempt, and they may not wield weapons.

Is my closest guess.

Thugorp
2011-03-20, 09:24 PM
Agreed, also, if you search the forum, you will find Bom-Ombs*can't spell* if that isn't good enough for you I can give you a hole progression of bomboms up to king bombom.

Maxios
2011-03-20, 09:34 PM
To Unsorta: I shall edit the sheet to define Armless.

To Thug: That would be much appreciated :smallsmile:

unosarta
2011-03-20, 09:37 PM

Coolio. This, otherwise, appears to be a solid monster for its level, and decently balanced. I would love to play an Unarmed Swordsage with the Tiger Claw and Desert Wind disciplines fighting these guys. :smallbiggrin:

Oh! Are you planning on making larger versions? You could simply make them advanced Goombas.

Looking on your sheet now: you generally define abilities below the actual stat-block. Also, you should have an area to show how the monster advances.

Chess435
2011-03-20, 09:40 PM
Nitpick: Should it's Flat-footed AC include it's natural armor bonus?

Temotei
2011-03-20, 09:42 PM
I await the snifit, otherwise known as "bullet shy guy" to some. :smallcool:

Actually, scratch that. I await everything to come.

Maxios
2011-03-20, 09:45 PM
Unsorta: I'll edit the Goomba sheet.

Chess: I don't know if it should or not.

Temotei: Who knows, I might post the Snifit later tonight :smallcool:

Blue Ghost
2011-03-20, 09:49 PM
The numbers are off.
If it has a +5 natural armor bonus, shouldn't its AC (normal and flatfooted) be 15?
Where did its +4 BAB come from? And +14 grapple?
Typical attack damage is damage die + Str modifier. How does it get a +3 damage with 9 Str?
Base save bonuses for a 1 HD plant are +2/+0/+0. How does it get +3/+3/+1 without ability modifiers?
Space/Reach 0/0?
Same for HP. Plant HD should be d8, and with 10 Con, it shouldn't be getting any bonuses to HP.
And it looks rather underpowered for a CR 1. CR 1/2 or 1/3 should be more appropriate.

Maxios
2011-03-20, 09:50 PM
The numbers are off.
If it has a +5 natural armor bonus, shouldn't its AC (normal and flatfooted) be 15?
Typical attack damage is damage die + Str modifier. How does it get a +3 damage with 9 Str?
Base save bonuses for a 1 HD plant are +2/+0/+0. How does it get +3/+3/+1 without ability modifiers?
Same for HP. Plant HD should be d8, and with 10 Con, it shouldn't be getting any bonuses to HP.
And it looks rather underpowered for a CR 1. CR 1/2 or 1/3 should be more appropriate.

You're right Blue Ghost, I'll edit his AC for that.
The BAB is the Goomba's innate combat skill.
I'll edit damage.
I'll also edit HD
The +14 Grapple was a typo on my part.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-03-21, 05:01 PM
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+5 Natural), touch 9, flat-footed 15

Two issues:

It's speed is far too much. Goombas are slow. Mario can easily outrun them and hes a human. 15 ft sounds much better.

In all your AC's you forgot the size bonus to AC. It should be 16 (+5 Natural +1 Size Modifier), Touch 11, Flat-footed 16.

And don't forget all the other size modifiers for attacks and grapples.

Temotei
2011-03-21, 05:26 PM
I'd just put a — in for the goomba's grapple modifier, actually.

Zaydos
2011-03-21, 05:40 PM
I'd just put a — in for the goomba's grapple modifier, actually.

But then you can't grapple them. I'd add that they can't initiate grapple but are still susceptible to it and give them the appropriate grapple modifier. I also now want to use Fling Enemy to throw a goomba at someone.

Maxios
2011-03-21, 05:51 PM
Edited the sheet

Lyndworm
2011-03-21, 06:09 PM
The BAB is the Goomba's innate combat skill.

I'm sorry but that... just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. No creature ever printed has a racial bonus to it's Base Attack. If you want it to be "innate combat skill" you need to make an ability granting them a +4 bonus on attack rolls, because their BAB is +0. It will still be unlike anything of which I know, but at least it will make sense.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, I don't mean to be. :smallredface: I'm trying to help you make this look like an actual statblock... right now it doesn't.

Maxios
2011-03-21, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry but that... just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. No creature ever printed has a racial bonus to it's Base Attack. If you want it to be "innate combat skill" you need to make an ability granting them a +4 bonus on attack rolls, because their BAB is +0. It will still be unlike anything of which I know, but at least it will make sense.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, I don't mean to be. :smallredface: I'm trying to help you make this look like an actual statblock... right now it doesn't.

Well you can't have a monster with a BAB, it's almost never hit. Any suggestoins?

Zaydos
2011-03-21, 06:24 PM
Give goombas Dex 13 and Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. They now have a +2 to hit. Probably should only be CR 1/4th.

Maxios
2011-03-21, 06:27 PM
Give goombas Dex 13 and Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. They now have a +2 to hit. Probably should only be CR 1/4th.

Fixed. Tonight, I think I'll stat out Koopa Troopas :smallsmile:

ZaneLaCoix
2011-03-21, 08:40 PM
I'm just going to leave this (http://kobolds-keep.net/downloads.html) here. It may help.

Maxios
2011-03-21, 08:58 PM
I'm just going to leave this (http://kobolds-keep.net/downloads.html) here. It may help.

Thanks for the link :smallcool:

Temotei
2011-03-21, 09:38 PM
But then you can't grapple them.

Oh yeah. Duh. My bad. :smallredface:

Blynkibrax
2011-03-22, 12:47 PM
Must... Fight... Urge... To... Post... Thi... Ah, screw it. :smalltongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWrKd4AMK_g

Maxios
2011-03-22, 04:04 PM
I'm nearly all done statting out the Koopa Troopas. I'll post the stats for them in an hour or so

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-03-23, 02:12 AM

How do you guys keep beating me to the punch on these things? Everytime someone starts a Mario thread, someone links to my old stuff.

Yeah, feel free to steal anything in that document. I'm happy to see it get some use.

When it comes to being "Armless", I'd suggest you treat it just like they did in the games (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InvisibleAnatomy), but never actually specify that they have any advantage or disadvantage in the rules.

Re'ozul
2011-03-23, 09:45 AM
Power Mushroom:
Ingestion-based consumable. Causes effect as Enlarge Person when eaten. Effect ends when consumer takes damage.

Fireflower:
When held allows the use of flaming sphere (as the spell) at-will with the difference that the sphere moves uncontrollable in the direction it was first directed and disappears after the first time it dealt significant damage to an object or creature.

Sydonai
2011-03-23, 01:44 PM
A fire Flower is more like "Produce Flame" than "Flaming sphere".

ZaneLaCoix
2011-03-23, 02:48 PM
Been playing Smash Brothers Brawl/Melee too much. My mind has been corrupted into thinking a Fire Flower would work as an item enchanted with Burning Hands

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-03-24, 03:45 PM
Been playing Smash Brothers Brawl/Melee too much. My mind has been corrupted into thinking a Fire Flower would work as an item enchanted with Burning Hands

It could be a different species of fire flower. They'd both have about the same cost.

Thugorp
2011-03-25, 11:06 AM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, I will do it before bed tonight. :-)

Deathdarken
2011-03-28, 10:25 AM
when you going to post more im interested to see what else you come up with