PDA

View Full Version : Calibans, Updated (Ravenloft Race, 3.5)

LOTRfan
2011-03-20, 10:17 PM
So, I enjoy the Caliban fluff in the Ravenloft Campaign setting, but they got the short end of the stick in 3.5e. They got stuck with the half-orc stats (as half-orcs do not exist in Ravenloft). Here, I attempt to give them new stats that emphasize their twisted magical deformations and keep it LA +0. Did I succeed?

Calibans
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/Morefizzle/caliban.gif
In the Demiplane of Dread, the natural laws of magic are manipulated by the Dark Powers. To an outsider, the majority of these changes are obvious; summon monster spells do not summon creatures from other planes, and detect alignment spells do not function when being used to determine the moral alignment of creatures. One aspect of magic, however, is not so easy to recognize at first. In areas where magic is often used, some of this residue taints the unborn babies of nearby pregnant mothers. This makes them stronger and resistant to magic, but also hideously deforms them, leaving them misshapen and demonic-looking. These offspring, forever outcasts, are known as Calibans.

Personality: Calibans are outcasts, and as a result most are reserved and antisocial. It is, after all, far more easily to ignore civilization than to strive for acceptance they most likely never will get. Instead, most Calibans try to gather with others of their kind, are strike out in the wilderness. Most are content to spend their lives alone. A few, however, try to follow in the steps of their “normal” parents, and integrate into society. These may be overfriendly, or willing to do anything to be accepted, even if it means losing any sort of dignity they have.

Physical Description: Calibans are hard to classify into a specific appearance. Their warped nature can manifest in many ways. Some are sickeningly pallid, why others have coal-black skin. Some are extremely muscular, while others look like they have a bad case of proteus syndrome. Most however, have small tusks and may have hunched backs. No matter how this twisted nature manifests itself, it is always painstakingly obvious that Calibans are not fully human.

Relations: Calibans rarely have any sort of relation with any race that doesn’t end with a lynching mob or enslavement. Although a few try to fit in, the majority see society as unworthy of the work necessary to fit in. Even among other races, Calibans rarely find true homes. As a result, many travel away from other races and try to establish their own, isolated homes. Half-breeds, like Half-Orcs, Half-Elves, and Half-Vistani, are often looked upon with contempt. Why is it that Calibans (pure humans) cannot fit in, but creatures with nonhuman blood strive to make it into society at large?

Alignment: Calibans are usually neutral, but they can be of any alignment. There are often more chaotic individuals than lawful, and many become evil as well, but perfectly lawful or good individuals can and do exist.

Caliban Lands: Calibans have no lands of their own, but they can be found in all domains that have a human population. Most live out their lives as hermits or in small groups of others of their own kind (usually found during their long treks in the wilderness in an attempt to become a hermit). Some, however, put up with ostracization in an attempt to mingle with their parent race.

Religion: Calibans rarely participate in an organized religion. Those that due often pray to Ezra, guardian of the mists and all of mankind.

Names: Calibans usually have human names, determined by their domain of origin.

Languages: Calibans generally speak the dominant language of their region. This is usually Balok.

Adventurers: Having nothing to lose and usually no personal attachment, Calibans are a prime choice for adventurers. Many feel great comfort when being able to actually fit in with a group of other people, even if they are unlikely to admit it.

Caliban Racial Traits
• +2 Con, -2 Charisma
• Medium Humanoid (Human, Extraplanar): Calibans are a race of humans spawned by tainted magic, and count as humans for all intents and purposes (including spell effects and prerequisites). As medium creatures, Calibans do not gain any benefits or penalties based on size. Being native to the Demiplane of Dread, Calibans have the extraplanar subtype on the Material Plane.
• +4 bonus on Intimidate checks
• -4 penalty to Diplomacy checks
• Bonus Feat: Calibans gain a bonus feat at 1st level.
• Spell Resistance equal to its character level +5. Calibans are already deeply twisted by, and infused with, magic, so magic is less likely to harm them.
• Magical Daze: Calibans react differently when faced with magics meant to cancel out other magic. When hit with a dispel magic or greater dispel magic spell, the Caliban must succeed on a will save (DC 10 + caster level) or be sickened for 1d4+1 rounds. When walking within an antimagic field, Calibans are treated as fatigued, and remain in this state for 1d4 rounds after leaving the field.
• Automatic Languages: Balok. Bonus Languages: Darkonese, Mordentish, Vaasi.
• Favored Class: Barbarian.
• Level Adjustment: +0.

unosarta
2011-03-20, 11:18 PM
Calibans get some serious penalties. Extraplanar means they can be Banished, Daze is a really powerful effect, and 1d8 rounds is really long. I would extend the Fatigue to dispel effects instead of Daze, or maybe Nauseated at best.

LOTRfan
2011-03-21, 05:46 AM
Keep in mind that these were meant specifically for the Ravenloft Campaign Setting, so they wouldn't have the Extraplanar subtype there.

I'll change the daze to sickened, and make it for 1d4+1 rounds. Does that seem fair?

unosarta
2011-03-21, 08:26 AM
Keep in mind that these were meant specifically for the Ravenloft Campaign Setting, so they wouldn't have the Extraplanar subtype there.

I'll change the daze to sickened, and make it for 1d4+1 rounds. Does that seem fair?

Yes. They are a pretty cool race, and I love the concept behind them. I was more worried about players who wanted to play one being completely shut down by some monsters and classes. For instance, a level 6 Warlock could permanently cause a Caliban to be dazed, as long as he continued using Dispel Magic on him.

Blynkibrax
2011-03-21, 10:21 AM
You might be interested in Brutes & Banshees, a chapter of the eighth issue of Quoth The Raven, the Ravenloft fanzine, LOTRfan. That covered calibans in a much more indepth way, with lots of variety, depending on the type of deformity the caliban possessed.

You can find it here (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Library.html).

LOTRfan
2011-03-21, 05:17 PM
Yes. They are a pretty cool race, and I love the concept behind them. I was more worried about players who wanted to play one being completely shut down by some monsters and classes. For instance, a level 6 Warlock could permanently cause a Caliban to be dazed, as long as he continued using Dispel Magic on him.

Do you think they would be less weak if I got rid of their Wisdom penalty and made it so that they can succeed on a will save to ignore the dispel magic effects (but not the anti-magic field)?

You might be interested in Brutes & Banshees, a chapter of the eighth issue of Quoth The Raven, the Ravenloft fanzine, LOTRfan. That covered calibans in a much more indepth way, with lots of variety, depending on the type of deformity the caliban possessed.

You can find it here (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Library.html).

I wasn't aware of a fan magazine. This looks really interesting. Hopefully it expands upon what the White Wolf books didn't. Thanks!

Mayhem
2011-03-22, 04:46 AM
I like it, good one.:smallwink:

~snip
Some of those racial abilities were disturbing :smalleek:.

LOTRfan
2011-03-22, 06:38 AM
Thank you. :smallsmile:

unosarta
2011-03-22, 11:26 AM
Do you think they would be less weak if I got rid of their Wisdom penalty and made it so that they can succeed on a will save to ignore the dispel magic effects (but not the anti-magic field)?

Probably. Oh, the will save idea is probably really good, but I would definitely make it off of caster level and casting ability stat, instead of Spell Level, so that it scales better. For instance:

Resistant to Magic: The Caliban may make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Caster's Caster Level + Casting Ability score modifier) to ignore the effects of a Dispel Magic or Greater Dispel Magic. They may not ignore an Anti-Magic Field in this way.

LOTRfan
2011-03-22, 06:05 PM
I think you are misunderstanding me. I meant that the Calibans get a saving throw to avoid the race-based side effects of having a dispel magic spell cast upon them, not to avoid the effects altogether. Under my reasoning, the Caliban will still have an ongoing spell dispelled with no save allowed, but they can attempt to make a fortitude save to avoid being sickened for 1d4+1 rounds.

Magical Daze: Calibans react differently when faced with magics meant to cancel out other magic. When hit with a dispel magic or greater dispel magic spell, the Caliban must succeed on a will save (DC 10 + caster level) or be sickened for 1d4+1 rounds. When walking within an antimagic field, Calibans are treated as fatigued, and remain in this state for 1d4 rounds after leaving the field.

Would this still be too weak?

unosarta
2011-03-22, 09:37 PM
Oh! That makes sense.

And no, that would be perfectly in line with what I know of other races.
Hm. Now I am wondering about the race in general. They get a bonus to one of the most used ability scores, they take a penalty to one of the least used, they gain a solid bonus to a so-so skill, they gain a bonus feat. This is offset by being weakened by dispel magic, a spell that only comes up at 5th level at the earliest. I think it could still work, but I would give them a penalty to Diplomacy, to show that they aren't able to effectively talk to others or negotiate with them without others treating them worse because of any physical difference they may have.

LOTRfan
2011-03-22, 09:41 PM
Sure, that makes sense.