PDA

View Full Version : More about races...DnD 4E

FullofQuestions
2011-03-21, 01:06 AM
Are there any books that go more in depth about races/classes than just the little bit you get in the typical books you'd find them in? I'm looking for more on the Wilden to be specific. I already have PH3.

Gralamin
2011-03-21, 01:28 AM
Some setting books may (though I don't believe there is any for Wilden). Otherwise, no, any extra fluff tends to be in Dragon.

gurban
2011-03-21, 02:39 AM
Dragon Magazine. Two I can think of. One was about Wilden in general, and another was about a sub group of aberrant hunters.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-21, 04:14 AM
Are there any books that go more in depth about races/classes than just the little bit you get in the typical books you'd find them in?
Well, they started a line of Race books (PHB Races: Dragonborn and PHB Races: Tiefling) but they cancelled this, allegedly because it didn't sell enough.

Amnestic
2011-03-21, 09:33 AM
Well, they started a line of Race books (PHB Races: Dragonborn and PHB Races: Tiefling) but they cancelled this, allegedly because it didn't sell enough.

Would not be terribly surprised. A book based around a single race is probably low on the priority list for most groups.

Surrealistik
2011-03-21, 09:58 AM
Unless they have awesome feats like Imperious Majesty, Glasya's Charming Words, Dispater's Iron Discipline (daze/stun/dominate immunity), Belial's Secrets, and Royal Command of Asmodeus that I simply couldn't do without.

RTGoodman
2011-03-21, 11:22 AM
If you have access to older edition stuff and don't mind using it, the 4E Wilden are pretty much a direct port from the 3.5 Killoren from Races of the Wild. That book should have at least a few pages of fluff you can use (or modify). Otherwise, just make stuff up. That's what D&D is about after all.

FullofQuestions
2011-03-21, 12:03 PM
. Otherwise, just make stuff up. That's what D&D is about after all.

This is pretty much the plan I was going with. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Mando Knight
2011-03-21, 12:21 PM
Would not be terribly surprised. A book based around a single race is probably low on the priority list for most groups.

Especially since the two they picked were Tails-and-Horns and Dragonboobs.

I like both races just fine, but because of how they were presented as two of the first eight PC races instead of Gnomes and Half-Orcs, they get a lot of flak. And they're perceived as "weird" races, so they don't generally get picked as much.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-21, 12:24 PM
Especially since the two they picked were Tails-and-Horns and Dragonboobs.

Funnily enough, the next Race book was going to be about the weirdest, most exotic and exclusive race that most players haven't even heard of...Humans. Yes, you read that right, they were going to make a book to tell you how to play a human properly. No wonder it got cancelled :smallconfused:

DeltaEmil
2011-03-21, 12:37 PM
Meh, they already did that with Races of Destiny.

Although perhaps some players really don't know how to play humans in the first place, hah!

Surrealistik
2011-03-21, 12:54 PM
Funnily enough, the next Race book was going to be about the weirdest, most exotic and exclusive race that most players haven't even heard of...Humans. Yes, you read that right, they were going to make a book to tell you how to play a human properly. No wonder it got cancelled :smallconfused:

Shame; I was looking forward to that feat which would allow you to score an automatic critical hit on an AP sponsored attack.

I like both races just fine, but because of how they were presented as two of the first seven PC races instead of Gnomes and Half-Orcs, they get a lot of flak. And they're perceived as "weird" races, so they don't generally get picked as much.

Wait what? Tieflings don't get picked as much because they're weird? They're one of the best and in my experience most popular races out there, hands down, thematically and mechanically.

Shardminds and Wilden don't get picked because they're weird (and ugly).

Lord Raziere
2011-03-21, 06:32 PM
Shardminds and Wilden don't get picked because they're weird (and ugly).

I'm actually trying to figure out how their societies work.

Shardminds with their intelligence and longevity are fond of contriving these complex and complicated games that go on for centuries since they don't have anything like food or anything else to occupy themselves when they are taking a break from fighting the Far Realm, so their existence is literally centuries of playing weird complex games that only they know about while while fighting aliens. that and researching/learning stuff. and I've got an idea for a Shardmind Swordmage whom the other shardminds think is weird since he isn't using Psionics- oh maybe he did it to start one of those Weird Shardmind games where everyone else has to figure out which one is the Sword Mage and find him. Problem is none of the players can tell each other what they are looking for, can only figure it out by observation- can't ask them directly- while at the same time trying to keep the info out of other peoples hand while not destroying it because its not allowed int he game and other such rules that make things complex.

I've actually made this Wilden Warlock, Infernal Pact who because she accepted devil powers from her tiefling mentor who was fighting this far realm creature when they met and he was losing, she the Wilden got exiled from the rest of them for accepting devil powers from outside nature and now she has to struggle with her identity because she isn't a part of the collective Wilden anymore, she can't think of herself in terms of "we" and she is confused because of it, slowly starting to use "I" and being scared of that means.

So I must be really weird. Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Christopher K.
2011-03-22, 09:52 AM
If you're open to third-party sources, Goodman Games had that series on various races.

DragonBaneDM
2011-03-28, 10:20 PM
For Wilden Fluff, find the Dragon Article that this guy Dancer was in. I totally forget which one...but I'm sure some light Googling will help you out.

Meta
2011-03-28, 11:56 PM
For Wilden Fluff, find the Dragon Article that this guy Dancer was in. I totally forget which one...but I'm sure some light Googling will help you out.

Dragon 388. The Seedling Myth. DBDM says he's sorry he couldn't help more because he hates 'ugly' races

DragonBaneDM
2011-03-29, 10:04 AM
Dragon 388. The Seedling Myth. DBDM says he's sorry he couldn't help more because he hates 'ugly' races

:smallannoyed: Never said such a thing. Tried to change it, but he came at me like a spider monkey.

But yeah, the Dancer fluff is amazing. Makes me want to create Wilden NPCs.