PDA

View Full Version : Australasia in the Playground IV

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-11, 07:50 PM
Don't get me started with all my headaches and photobucket. I've considered sending the map to other people some nights just so it can be posted.

It is bloody freezing here, and wet. I'm alone in the office with the door shut and the heater on.

Moonshadow
2011-05-12, 12:10 AM
Don't get me started with all my headaches and photobucket. I've considered sending the map to other people some nights just so it can be posted.

It is bloody freezing here, and wet. I'm alone in the office with the door shut and the heater on.

It really needs to make up its mind as to whether it wants the weather to be autumn or winter, eh?

I had to go out in the rain yesterday. Even with an umbrella, I got drenched. Wet denim is not a terribly fun experience!

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-12, 12:26 AM
When it's windy and rainy you just get wet, as the wind destroys an umbrella or makes it extremely hard to walk.

One winter I carried a towel in my bad, to dry my face when I got inside. Yes, for one winter I was a hoopy frood.

Rawhide
2011-05-12, 06:07 AM
Interesting...

ABC iView (and probably the regular ABC) has just started showing the recent remake of The Prisoner (http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/609541) (the one with Sir Ian McKellen) and Plus7 is showing the original series (http://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/the-prisoner/-/watch/8710210/arrival-series-1-episode-1/). Both sites allow you to watch them online, but both are restricted to Australians only.

Now start working again iView, dammit, I was in the middle of Moby ****.

Roc Ness
2011-05-12, 06:53 AM
Am I going to be the only guy here who's going to complain about the cold? :smallconfused:

'Cos boy, is it cold. :smalltongue:

Level8Mudcrab
2011-05-12, 07:36 AM
Am I going to be the only guy here who's going to complain about the cold? :smallconfused:

Cold's not so bad. Atleast it's not hot.

Klose_the_Sith
2011-05-12, 07:52 AM
Cold? Bah!

You don't know cold, sonny jim jim sonny sonny jimjams.

I spent my whole day outside, oiling the wooden parts of the deck in ragged clothes that can now be burned.

That's cold. Except for the fire part, cause that warms me up :smalltongue:

(Warning - the above post may contain exaggerations)

Rowsen
2011-05-12, 08:56 AM
Interesting...

ABC iView (and probably the regular ABC) has just started showing the recent remake of The Prisoner (http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/609541) (the one with Sir Ian McKellen) and Plus7 is showing the original series (http://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/the-prisoner/-/watch/8710210/arrival-series-1-episode-1/). Both sites allow you to watch them online, but both are restricted to Australians only.

Now start working again iView, dammit, I was in the middle of Moby ****.

That's gotta be the first time in recorded history that something on the internet is restricted to only us rather than us being the only ones who can't have it.

Serpentine
2011-05-12, 10:45 AM
For a moment I thought you were talking about the other Prisoner (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077064/) and I was gonna be all "hey I know someone who was in that!" but you weren't so never mind :smallfrown:

Darkmyst
2011-05-12, 10:54 AM

Probably. Cold is much better than the alternative. After all, there's no excuse to snuggle up in front of the computer with a nice cup of tea and a doona if it's not a bit chilly :)

Lady Moreta
2011-05-12, 07:44 PM
Am I the only one here who doesn't mind the cold? I like it.

Of course, cold in Perth is a far cry from cold in Christchurch...

Rawhide
2011-05-12, 08:08 PM
Whoops, I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. Only noticed because I went looking for it. Fixed now :smallsmile:.

Everyone's seen what a news van looks like right? Some of the flashiest, most expensive vehicles around, with satellite dishes and all polished to promote the high quality of the network, right? Like this one:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5396551703_3cb7051d7d.jpg

Well, while I was in Melbourne, I saw one of these vehicles for our trusty government funded (and commercial free) network, ABC.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/nullanvoid/melb/abc_van.jpg

Anuan
2011-05-12, 11:27 PM
On the cold; I work outside, at night, from 10pm til 4:30 am.
It's heavy physical labour that keeps you too warm to wear a jacket, and you build up quite a sweat.

Then work stops for a little bit.

That's when Our Friend the Reaper visits me with a little reminder of my mortality in the form of chilling me to the bones.

Though that may just be the weather.

I'm tired lemme alone.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-13, 12:03 AM
That's when Our Friend the Reaper visits me with a little reminder of my mortality in the form of chilling me to the bones.

Though that may just be the weather.

I'm tired lemme alone.

I don't think Death is making the trip all the way over there every night just to torment you with cold :smalltongue:

Urgh... too much sugar in my tea :smallyuk:

Moonshadow
2011-05-13, 12:43 AM
I don't think Death is making the trip all the way over there every night just to torment you with cold :smalltongue:

Urgh... too much sugar in my tea :smallyuk:

Make a new cup then!

Anuan
2011-05-13, 01:32 AM
Mynewcustomswordisbeingmade.

I'msoexcited.
It'ssosexy.
Sosohappy.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-13, 02:23 AM
Make a new cup then!

But that would have wasted the original cup... besides, I needed the sugar rush.

Excited Anuan is cute :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-05-13, 02:24 AM
I made tealess chai from scratchish.
Note to self: go easy on the cardamon, ginger and to a lesser extent pepper; add more cinnamon, try allspice.

Anuan
2011-05-13, 04:11 AM
Needs black tea, for to be superior.

Cinnamon is the best ingredient in masala chai.
Licorice root makes for a nice addition, and is also a pleasant 'tea' in and of itself.

Also, I'm -always- cute.

Serpentine
2011-05-13, 04:12 AM
Well, I don't really like tea or licorice, soo...

Anuan
2011-05-13, 04:28 AM
It doesn't taste like licorice. I despise licorice. But tea made of licorice root is omnomnomalishus.

Galileo
2011-05-13, 09:10 AM
Am I the only one here who doesn't mind the cold? I like it.

Of course, cold in Perth is a far cry from cold in Christchurch...

My toes are cold.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-13, 08:14 PM
My toes are cold.

So are mine... but that's because I was wandering around on our wooden not-very-well-insulated floor without shoes. I have shoes on now so my toes should warm up nicely.

What's it like at home? I miss being properly cold. Actually, odd as it sounds, I miss winter frosts. (don't miss the nor-wester however)

Moonshadow
2011-05-17, 04:38 AM
~_~ I don't want to have to take my brother to basketball training tomorrow. I wanted to cook something for dinner but now I can't. Le sigh.

_Zoot_
2011-05-17, 06:24 AM
Yes! Great success!

I got my phone to play a new ringtone!

Why yes, I am bad at technology, how did you know?

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-17, 07:25 PM
I have sheepskin insoles in my Jane Debster boots. It's like wearing slippers to work. :smallbiggrin:

Galileo
2011-05-17, 07:27 PM
Personally, I just tie a sheep to each foot. It is to horseriding what rollerblading is to cycling!

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-17, 07:34 PM
Yeah, and we know what you also do with sheep over there. :smallwink:

_Zoot_
2011-05-17, 10:30 PM
Yeah, and we know what you also do with sheep over there. :smallwink:

And thus started to first Australasian war... :smallbiggrin:

Moonshadow
2011-05-17, 10:32 PM
And thus started to first Australasian war... :smallbiggrin:

They've got sheep.

We've got... Kangaroos, Cassowarys, Crocodiles, something like 7/10 of the top 10 poisonous snakes...

If it's a battle of the animals, we've got overwhelming firepower.

Though, NZ does have Wetas. Creepy big buggers that they are.

bladescape
2011-05-17, 10:36 PM
Brr, cold.

Cut wood at 8 AM, I've had to do that.(Although, if possible, I avoid this, by cutting enough wood the night before.) Just in case that wasn't clear, wood fire is the only thing that warms this house. That, and turning the oven on and leaving it open, to warm the kitchen.....

And don't forget Australia has some of the most deadly spiders, including the second most poisonous in the world.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-17, 11:19 PM
And don't forget Australia has some of the most deadly spiders, including the second most poisonous in the world.

And on that note - someone remind me why I moved over here?

Rawhide
2011-05-17, 11:41 PM
And on that note - someone remind me why I moved over here?

Because there has been exactly 0 deaths since anti-venom has been made available?

Lady Moreta
2011-05-17, 11:50 PM
Because there has been exactly 0 deaths since anti-venom has been made available?

Ahhh, but I didn't know that til you said it, therefore it can't be the reason :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2011-05-18, 12:03 AM
Ahhh, but I didn't know that til you said it, therefore it can't be the reason :smalltongue:

Ahh, now I know the reason why. It was because I live here.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-18, 12:05 AM
Our spiders are so baddass they have health bars.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-18, 12:23 AM
Ahh, now I know the reason why. It was because I live here.

Possibly because of that...

Or possibly because Peregrine lives here :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Rawhide
2011-05-18, 12:37 AM
Possibly because of that...

Or possibly because Peregrine lives here :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

What on Earth has Peregrine got to do with anything? :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-18, 02:16 AM
What on Earth has Peregrine got to do with anything? :smalltongue:

Everything. :smalltongue:

I just noticed your user title... are you bored by any chance?

Moonshadow
2011-05-18, 02:59 AM
:smallfrown: I wish I could have cooked for my own birthday. Oh well. I suppose there is always next year.

Serpentine
2011-05-18, 03:26 AM
My sister is gonna be on George Negus' 6.30 show tonight.
You know that NBN launch thing? 'twere at her house :smallcool:

Roc Ness
2011-05-18, 03:45 AM
My sister is gonna be on George Negus' 6.30 show tonight.
You know that NBN launch thing? 'twere at her house :smallcool:

Why did you only post this 4 minutes before 6:30? O_o

Skeppio
2011-05-18, 04:09 AM
:smallfrown: I wish I could have cooked for my own birthday. Oh well. I suppose there is always next year.

Aw, that's a bit of a let-down. But as you said, there's always next year. :smallsmile:

Oh, so it's your birthday today then? If so, Happy Birthday to you! :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-05-18, 04:35 AM
Why did you only post this 4 minutes before 6:30? O_oCuz I only found out about half an hour before, when I was out.

Rawhide
2011-05-18, 08:24 AM
It doesn't taste like licorice. I despise licorice. But tea made of licorice root is omnomnomalishus.

Does it taste anything like root beer?

Everything. :smalltongue:

This... shows my reaction... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQALf7VludE) (in the flashback, that is)

I just noticed your user title... are you bored by any chance?

I was thinking about replaying Braid, with all it's time rewindery nonsense. Also just watched Donnie Darko.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-18, 06:05 PM
What are you supposed to do if it's your birthday and hardly any of your friends know about it? For some reason I always thought it was concieted to mention that it was your birthday.

The day before mine I was with some friends, mentioned nothing. Got a few texts and FB messages but that was about it. And due to the fact that my stepfatehr was in a bad mood (and refused to say two words to me all day) I spent the day by myself. For the second year in a row, as last year they had a house inspection and I spent most of the day cleaning the house. Then, a few months later when my sister came to visit for her birthday we went away for the weekend.

It still stings that they couldn't scenedule the house inspection for...I don't know, any other bloody day than my birthday? :smallfrown:

Moonshadow
2011-05-18, 08:39 PM
What are you supposed to do if it's your birthday and hardly any of your friends know about it? For some reason I always thought it was concieted to mention that it was your birthday.

The day before mine I was with some friends, mentioned nothing. Got a few texts and FB messages but that was about it. And due to the fact that my stepfatehr was in a bad mood (and refused to say two words to me all day) I spent the day by myself. For the second year in a row, as last year they had a house inspection and I spent most of the day cleaning the house. Then, a few months later when my sister came to visit for her birthday we went away for the weekend.

It still stings that they couldn't scenedule the house inspection for...I don't know, any other bloody day than my birthday? :smallfrown:

Do the same thing as me? Take your brother to basketball training and then agree to whatever plans make it easier for everyone else except yourself for your birthday <_<

I'm sorry you're having about as good as birthday as I did *hug*

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-18, 09:07 PM
It's not my birthday now, it was on the 8th. I've seen my friends since then and they've said nothing. :smallfrown:

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to my next birthday.

Moonshadow
2011-05-18, 10:41 PM
Well, Happy Birthday from me, it it means anything by this point >>

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-18, 10:44 PM
It sort of does, but it does make you feel bad when you go all our to get your friends stuff for their birthdays and they don't even give you a word in.

And Facebook tells you that someone has a birthday.

One of my friends (whom I don't see anymore, he's moved) never gave me a birthday or Xmas present even though I always gifted him. Year before he left I stopped as I was sick of his non-money related excuses (I forgotm have had a very busy week, I promise I'll get you something soon (and never did)).

Anuan
2011-05-19, 05:28 AM
Does it taste anything like root beer?

I was thinking about replaying Braid, with all it's time rewindery nonsense. Also just watched Donnie Darko.

No, it doesn't.

And that's a terrible movie.

Serpentine
2011-05-19, 08:15 AM
I like Donnie Darko!
Speaking of that guy in Donnie Darko, I just saw Source Code. It's pretty cool.

Rawhide
2011-05-19, 11:41 AM
Director's Cut was better than the Original Cut.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-19, 07:47 PM
So... guess who got to work and went straight to the bathroom to dry her socks and shoes? Then had to turn the fan heater on in the office to dry the bottom of her trousers? Guess who has to put her wet shoes and socks back on to go get the mail in 15mins?

Guess who's not impressed? :smallannoyed:

and my hands now stink like wet socks & shoes...

Moonshadow
2011-05-19, 09:12 PM
I guess Wallace!

Sucks to hear that though. Wet shoes and socks are icky :smallyuk:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-19, 09:42 PM
I'm entertaining the rest of the office though *rollseyes*

They seem to think it's funny.

Fortunately a co-worker has a small fan heater and I'm using that to dry my shoes/socks and trousers out. Getting there - slowly, but getting there. I don't want to be wandering around the office with bare feet all day!

bladescape
2011-05-19, 09:46 PM
I fail to see how they think it's humourous.

And sorry to hear it, if I could, I'd cast Dry Object, but ....
Ah, well. I hope they dry really fast anyways.

Skeppio
2011-05-19, 09:46 PM
So... guess who got to work and went straight to the bathroom to dry her socks and shoes? Then had to turn the fan heater on in the office to dry the bottom of her trousers? Guess who has to put her wet shoes and socks back on to go get the mail in 15mins?

Guess who's not impressed? :smallannoyed:

and my hands now stink like wet socks & shoes...

:smallyuk: Ick, that sucks... Hope they dry up soon. And remember to wash your hands thoroughly. :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-19, 09:58 PM
I fail to see how they think it's humourous.

You have to work here to understand :smalltongue:

Jokes such as 'hey, if you need anything down the street, send Moreta, she's already wet!' - I didn't really mind, I thought it was rather funny myself (the joke, not the wet feet).

:smallyuk: Ick, that sucks... Hope they dry up soon. And remember to wash your hands thoroughly. :smalltongue:

y'know, that's really a very good idea. I shall go do that. Thanks m'dear :smallsmile:

Socks are dry and back on my feet - it's rather nice putting warm socks on. My trousers are dry too, now I'm just waiting for my shoes to dry out enough to put them back on. Last time I wear porous trackies in the rain!

Anuan
2011-05-20, 04:34 AM
My new, custom, comissioned sword is finished. I still have to finish paying it off, but it's made. And it is both gorgeous and sublime.

It's a fantasy jian with a rose theme; it has a purpleheart wood grip (tactical construction) carved in the shape of a rose, 'thorns' along a ricasso section of blade and an engraving, the Chinese characters for 'Elegant Thorn' (or 'polished thrust') in Mandarin.

I'm very happy.

Moonshadow
2011-05-20, 04:38 AM
Pictures when you get it!

I wish I could collect swords, but Victoria is the only state where you need a licence to do so ;-;

Anuan
2011-05-20, 04:50 AM
Said license is very inexpensive. However, you -do- need to keep them locked up and such. I'm very glad on that front that I moved back to QLD. Is best state for swording, jas.

Here is a couple of the preview pictures the smith sent me (I'd love to name him, but I think it might count as 'advertising' which is against the rules).

Forgot to mention, hollow-ground blade. Makes for a nice thruster.
The colour of the grip will change in the next week, he just put the surface on it yesterday.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/Adreal/Preview8.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/Adreal/Preview3.jpg

Edit: Those pictures should be larger. I do not know why they are not.

Skeppio
2011-05-20, 05:10 AM
Wow, now that is a stylish sword! Looks freakin' awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Anuan
2011-05-20, 06:26 AM
Yes, yes it is, and yes it does :smallbiggrin:

Roc Ness
2011-05-20, 07:32 AM
y'know, that's really a very good idea. I shall go do that. Thanks m'dear :smallsmile:

... Seeing as you needed to type that little "thank you" with your unwashed hands, you may want to wipe your keyboard now, too. :smalltongue:

Galileo
2011-05-20, 09:39 AM
That is remarkably beautiful. You can tell, because people are remarking on it.

I'd say there's a difference between advertising and simply mentioning the name of a talented artisan to a few interested folk. So, who's the smith?

Serpentine
2011-05-20, 09:53 AM
That is remarkably beautiful. You can tell, because people are remarking on it.Ha! I use that too :smallbiggrin:
But yeah. That's pretty durn gorgeous.

_Zoot_
2011-05-20, 11:40 PM
I need people's advice:

We are thinking about getting a new dog, and I'm not sure if we should adopt a dog or get a one as a puppy.

Of our last two dogs, one was raised from a puppy, and was the sweetest, laziest and most loveable thing you had ever seen, the other was adopted from the RSPCA, and had had a very very very bad life before she came to live with us. She was more trouble, but still a lovable mutt, she ate something that didn't agree with her before she had lived with us for more than four years, so we didn't really get to see her develop to her full potential, but she was so much better than when we got her. :smallfrown:

And now I can't decide if we should look at getting one when it is a puppy, or adopting one, what do you think?

Lady Moreta
2011-05-21, 03:33 AM
And now I can't decide if we should look at getting one when it is a puppy, or adopting one, what do you think?

Adopt a puppy?

Anuan - that is a beautiful sword :smallsmile:

Rawhide
2011-05-21, 11:45 PM
Righteo folks

I'm going to be in Brisbane somewhere between June 11 to June 19ish. Exact dates of travel not yet decided.

Does anyone want to meet up (again, for those at the last meetup) during this time? I wouldn't even call this a mini-meetup, due to the lack of numbers expected as not many of you are actually that close to the centre, but we could go somewhere such as the Mana Bar, that chocolate place or somewhere else.

Level8Mudcrab
2011-05-22, 02:20 AM
Righteo folks

I'm going to be in Brisbane somewhere between June 11 to June 19ish. Exact dates of travel not yet decided.

Does anyone want to meet up (again, for those at the last meetup) during this time? I wouldn't even call this a mini-meetup, due to the lack of numbers expected as not many of you are actually that close to the centre, but we could go somewhere such as the Mana Bar, that chocolate place or somewhere else.

I definately wouldn't be able to go. For one, it's Brisbane and Brisbane is fair distance. It's also my exams that week.

Rawhide
2011-05-22, 03:35 AM
I definately wouldn't be able to go. For one, it's Brisbane and Brisbane is fair distance. It's also my exams that week.

Obviously not, you're in Melbourne for Frank's sake :smalltongue:. This was more for the very few people already in Brisbane.

On a different note though, anyone feel like having a mass GitP attendance at the Phantom of the Opera sequel, Love Never Dies, while it is playing in Melbourne? It will be a while in the future and the date will be highly dependant on when I can get tickets down there.

Serpentine
2011-05-22, 03:40 AM
Depends on when, how much it'll cost, and how accommodation'll work.
Ironically, it'll probably be easier and more pleasant for me to get to Melbourne than to Brisbane.

Rawhide
2011-05-22, 03:44 AM
Details (http://www.loveneverdies.com.au/).

Times and Prices (http://www.loveneverdies.com.au/ticket-prices.php).

I would think it would be a Wednesday performance. I'd probably travel down on Tuesday, back Thursday. Would need to stay somewhere for two nights (ideas?).

Serpentine
2011-05-22, 03:48 AM
Ooo, ouch.
Well, I'll either be almost unemployed and therefore able to come down whenever outside of Saturdays, or having more work in some currently unknown position. So... dunno yet.

Rawhide
2011-05-22, 03:54 AM
I don't know about the sequel, but the original was well and truly worth the entrance price when I saw it in Brisbane.

Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday flights are generally quite a bit cheaper than trying for the weekend (Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday), and so are the performances.

Serpentine
2011-05-22, 03:56 AM
When I was really little (like, 2 or 3), I saw the original in the Opera House. I think I sorta remember bits of it, but they're probably just constructed memories. Had a CD of it I loved, though.
I was actually thinking train. A lot cheaper.

Rawhide
2011-05-22, 03:58 AM
When I was really little (like, 2 or 3), I saw the original in the Opera House. I think I sorta remember bits of it, but they're probably just constructed memories. Had a CD of it I loved, though.
I was actually thinking train. A lot cheaper.

Not for me. Not from Queensland. I'd even have to have an overnight stay or two along the way.

Skeppio
2011-05-22, 04:03 AM
On a different note though, anyone feel like having a mass GitP attendance at the Phantom of the Opera sequel, Love Never Dies, while it is playing in Melbourne? It will be a while in the future and the date will be highly dependant on when I can get tickets down there.

Ooh, looks interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on this development. :smallamused:

Serpentine
2011-05-22, 04:04 AM
That would be related to what I said before:
Ironically, it'll probably be easier and more pleasant for me to get to Melbourne than to Brisbane.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-22, 06:36 PM
I'd like to, but it's almost tax time and that means I can't get time off until about August. :smallannoyed:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-22, 08:06 PM
I would too... I've seen Phantom of the Opera and I loved it :smallsmile:

I haven't even bothered looking at the times though because I know we won't be able to afford it. And I just received an email invitation to a friend's wedding in November (actual proper invitation to come) and much as I love you guys, I'd rather go to his wedding :smalltongue:

Anuan
2011-05-22, 08:20 PM
I'm not available the 11th and 12th, unfortunately, as I'll be enacting at History Alive. You're welcome to come see me. I'll be working the rest of the week after.

On that note, July 9th and 10th is the Abbey Tournament Medieval and Renaissance festival. I suggest anyone in the area to go. You'll see awesome combat, Western Martial Arts, information, totally rockin' food, me, Agamid, and probably falconry since it was popular last year.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-22, 08:23 PM
On that note, July 9th and 10th is the Abbey Tournament Medieval and Renaissance festival. I suggest anyone in the area to go. You'll see awesome combat, Western Martial Arts, information, totally rockin' food, me, Agamid, and probably falconry since it was popular last year.

Falconry? Really? That's so cool :smallbiggrin:

Anuan
2011-05-22, 08:47 PM
I thought you'd be interested. Maybe you should step forward with displays! I know you've got at least one wrapped around your little finger :smallwink:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-22, 09:02 PM
I do, I do :smallbiggrin:

I don't want to tell him though... if I bring it up he'll just be sad that we can't afford to go and see the birdies.

Ouch.. my headset keeps catching my hair and ripping strands out when I take it off :smallfrown:

Skeppio
2011-05-22, 09:05 PM
Ouch.. my headset keeps catching my hair and ripping strands out when I take it off :smallfrown:

:smalleek: Methinks you need a less carnivorous headset, m'lady.

Anuan
2011-05-22, 09:06 PM
Mine used to do that 8c Also, sadface! I wanted to see you again!
(Any Playgrounders that happen to show up, come see me at the Blackwolf stall. You'll find me by the red and white stylised cross on red black and white stripes on my shield. Also, in the, unfortunately unlikely, event that I get into combat, come watch and yell 'blood for the blood god' or something similarly geeky so I know you're watching :smalltongue:)

Oh, and since people asked, my Piao Ci was created by Brendan of Fable Blades, (www.fableblades.com) based in Western Australia.

Rawhide
2011-05-22, 09:14 PM
I'm not available the 11th and 12th, unfortunately, as I'll be enacting at History Alive. You're welcome to come see me. I'll be working the rest of the week after.

What about the 13th (Monday, public holiday) or the 18th? I will be busy 14-17th during business hours, but free for evenings.

Also, History Alive?

Anuan
2011-05-22, 09:16 PM
We work public holidays, and I do nightshift, I'm afraid.
History Alive. (www.historyalive.com.au/home)
Eighteenth, I'll be back home near Toowoomba.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-22, 10:01 PM
:smalleek: Methinks you need a less carnivorous headset, m'lady.

It could be because today is a slow day, but I found that utterly hilarious :smallbiggrin: My headset is eating me!

Mine used to do that 8c Also, sadface! I wanted to see you again!
(Any Playgrounders that happen to show up, come see me at the Blackwolf stall. You'll find me by the red and white stylised cross on red black and white stripes on my shield. Also, in the, unfortunately unlikely, event that I get into combat, come watch and yell 'blood for the blood god' or something similarly geeky so I know you're watching :smalltongue:)

I'm sorry :smallfrown: Now I really want to go... the website looks awesome fun :smallbiggrin: I am amused though, that they've said 'Queens Birthday' - a month would be helpful as Queen's Birthday isn't celebrated on the same weekend in every state!

Oh, and since people asked, my Piao Ci was created by Brendan of Fable Blades, (www.fableblades.com) based in Western Australia.

Oooh... he has Reepicheep's sword! That makes up for his utterly atrocious website :smallyuk: And I like that little elven lady's bee sting. I want a cute little dagger!

*snicker* I just noticed his address... the guy lives in Serpentine :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

:smallsigh: I guess I'll just go back to doing nothing for a while... about the only stuff I have to do is related to the sales database we use and it's not working! :smallmad::smallfurious: It's something to do with my computer, because I can log in just fine on another person's machine, just not mine. Probably due to the fact that this stupid program requires 1GB of memory to run and I only have 1GB of RAM on this dumbass machine!

Can you tell I'm a little frustrated?

Anuan
2011-05-22, 10:48 PM
Yes :smalltongue: And hey, there's still the Abbey. Save up and come see that, thats where the falconry is :smallamused:.

And yeah, Brenno's website -is- a little...1995ish...Good guy, though, and an -excellent- bladesmith. Made even better in that he concentrates on 'functional fantasy,' so if you've got the funds and an imagination, he can make you any sword within the realms of physics.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-22, 11:28 PM
Yes :smalltongue: And hey, there's still the Abbey. Save up and come see that, thats where the falconry is :smallamused:.

Much as I'd love to be able to say 'yeah sure we'll come!' I can tell you right now we can't afford it. Not if we want to go to my flatmate's wedding (which I do want to do, but will involve flying to Wellington). Heck, even if we didn't have that I doubt we'd be able to afford it. We're kinda poor...

so if you've got the funds and an imagination, he can make you any sword within the realms of physics.

Imagination I can handle... funds - not so much...

I really want Reepicheep's sword though...

Rawhide
2011-05-22, 11:45 PM
Ok, I've been to the website, I have only one question.

What is History Alive?

Anuan
2011-05-22, 11:46 PM
Well, it's only 290, and if it's been sitting around a while, he may be willing to haggle. He gave me special prices on some other items that had been sitting around, but they were full-size swords and still out of my pricerange. Maybe shoot him an email and ask if he'd be willing to haggle on it a bit. It's a pretty nice little main gauche-esque dagger...

Lady Moreta
2011-05-23, 12:04 AM
Well, it's only 290, and if it's been sitting around a while, he may be willing to haggle. He gave me special prices on some other items that had been sitting around, but they were full-size swords and still out of my pricerange. Maybe shoot him an email and ask if he'd be willing to haggle on it a bit. It's a pretty nice little main gauche-esque dagger...

That's still likely to be out of my price-range... and I'd have to get permission from my man first (who will likely be both disturbed and delighted by the fact that I get more excited about swords than he does).

But it's just adorable!

And will totally make up for the fact that it just took me five goes to spell 'field' correctly. :smallsigh:

Skeppio
2011-05-23, 12:20 AM
Guess who buggered up his train schedule, again? :smallsigh:

Thought my train in was 10 minutes later than it actually is (the train schedules recently changed). And the next train into the city would get me in about two hours late for class. :smallannoyed: I hate country trains....

On the plus side, the teacher puts the class notes online for us to check, so I can catch up from there.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-23, 02:33 AM
Oh dear... I've done similar things before... actually I can remember the time I had an essay due and I forgot the darn thing. I had to bus home in the middle of the day, grab the essay, turn around and bus back to uni so I could hand it in. And I lived near the end of the route, so by the time I'd gone home, grabbed the essay and got back to the bus stop, I ended up on the same bus with the same driver on his way back to the city. I wonder what he must have thought of me...

Hey, here's a random question... is there any way to tell what type of RAM I have in my computer without y'know, opening up the tower to take a look (which I could probably do, but really shouldn't seeing as it's my work machine). I finally managed to pin down the helpdesk about my sales database problems and they've said it's almost certainly a RAM issue and that I have to wait for the WA tech to come out to the office to take a look and see if it's upgradable. Only problem with this is the waiting part... the tech only came out last Friday and it could take months before he comes out again. Meanwhile I've got month end coming up soon so I have to be able to get into this darn-blasted program...

Moreta is not happy.

Rowsen
2011-05-23, 02:41 AM
Hey, here's a random question... is there any way to tell what type of RAM I have in my computer without y'know, opening up the tower to take a look

Go into Control Panel, switch it to Classic View if need be, and go into System.
It should be in the General tab.

Rawhide
2011-05-23, 02:53 AM
Hey, here's a random question... is there any way to tell what type of RAM I have in my computer without y'know, opening up the tower to take a look (which I could probably do, but really shouldn't seeing as it's my work machine). I finally managed to pin down the helpdesk about my sales database problems and they've said it's almost certainly a RAM issue and that I have to wait for the WA tech to come out to the office to take a look and see if it's upgradable. Only problem with this is the waiting part... the tech only came out last Friday and it could take months before he comes out again. Meanwhile I've got month end coming up soon so I have to be able to get into this darn-blasted program...

Moreta is not happy.

You will need a program like CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html). It can tell you heaps of information about your system, including the type of RAM in your system and its clock frequency.

Hint: If you also go to the SPD tab, it will show you the memory speed rating in the max bandwidth field.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-23, 02:54 AM
It doesn't say what type it is... just how much. I already know it's 1GB, I want to know what type it is.

I used to work for a company that built computers for clients so I know that there are some types of RAM that are no longer available. This machine is old enough that I suspect it may not be possible to get appropriate RAM for it...

edit: Rawhide - bother... that'll be something I'd have to install right? Work machines are set up so that you have to have administator rights to install programs, which no normal user has. I'll just have to wait til IT get their act together...

Rawhide
2011-05-23, 03:01 AM
edit: Rawhide - bother... that'll be something I'd have to install right? Work machines are set up so that you have to have administator rights to install programs, which no normal user has. I'll just have to wait til IT get their act together...

There's a no installation zip, try that?

Lady Moreta
2011-05-23, 03:28 AM
There's a no installation zip, try that?

Tempting as it is... I'd better not. We aren't allowed to do anything to our computers here and if I got caught I could lose my job. And we can't afford for that to happen...

Rawhide
2011-05-23, 07:38 AM
I've got a disk that will blank the local administrator's password. Used to use it all the time to recover systems in my last job.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-23, 07:38 PM
Rawhide! Are you trying to make me lose my job? :smalltongue:

Rowsen
2011-05-23, 08:20 PM
I've got a disk that will blank the local administrator's password. Used to use it all the time to recover systems in my last job.

http://images.wikia.com/borderlands/images/3/3c/DrHax.jpg

Rawhide
2011-05-23, 08:26 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX

If a bad guy has unrestricted physical access to your computer, it's not your computer anymore. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722487.aspx)

But I use my skills for good, not evil.

Rowsen
2011-05-23, 08:28 PM
It doesn't say what type it is... just how much. I already know it's 1GB, I want to know what type it is.
Ah, didn't read the question well enough. Sorry bout that

_Zoot_
2011-05-23, 09:38 PM
OK, I'm done if the last of my work for the week! Yayyyyyy! Also I may or may not have put a Monty Python reference into my Theology essay >.>

Anyway!

About me getting a new dog, we are trying to decide of breeds, we are thinking maybe a Golden Retriever, because we had two of them and they were awesome dogs. Or a German Shepard, because my parents had one....

What do you guys think?

Serpentine
2011-05-23, 10:51 PM
Clearly Newfoundlands are the superiour breed :3

Lady Moreta
2011-05-24, 12:24 AM
OK, I'm done if the last of my work for the week! Yayyyyyy! Also I may or may not have put a Monty Python reference into my Theology essay >.>

Yay! I once wrote an entire essay comparing Greek tragedies to the writings of David Eddings (fantasy author). Techincally it wasn't what the question asked, but the lecturer was a fan so I got away with it :smallbiggrin:

Clearly Newfoundlands are the superiour breed :3

I have a funny story about someone who had a newfoundland... Guy who used to work here, his wife brought a puppy and he was going on about the cute little thing. Someone else asked what breed it was... he said newfoundland (or some other really big dog, I forget what exactly). They commented, 'yeah that's a big dog, go look it up' Few minutes later, the cry of 'Oh ****' echoes through the upstairs as he realises just how big they get.

They moved to a 1acre place, just so they had room for the dog.

Meanwhile, I am not happy. I now have a laptop crammed onto my desk so I can run the sales database, but I seem to have put my hip out and that's now causing my knee to play up. I can't extend my leg properly at the moment and it's really getting on my nerves.

Anuan
2011-05-24, 12:35 AM
I can tell you immediately that Belgian Shepherds are absolutely wonderful, gorgeous and amazing dogs.
If we're talking big big biiiggg dogs, Caucasian Shepherd :smallbiggrin:

Also, poor Moreta 8c your work sounds uncomfortable.

Moonshadow
2011-05-24, 02:15 AM
Sigh. Why are teenagers so obnoxious once hormones kick in?

It would take my brother 5 minutes to put away the dishes like I asked, but he has to be a pain in the ass and turn it into a giant arguement so that in the end, I just do it myself because it needs to be done -_-

As for dogs, if you have lots of space, a border collie. They're gorgeous, affection dogs.

If space is an issue, a maltese x something. My grandparents have 2 and they are just adorable <3

Lady Moreta
2011-05-24, 02:30 AM
Also, poor Moreta 8c your work sounds uncomfortable.

You have no idea... I'm tempted to take a photo of my desk so I can show people what a mess it is right now.

Rawhide
2011-05-24, 02:32 AM
Anuan: The History Alive website wasn't exactly very informative. Could you provide some more information on what exactly it is and what there'll be to see and do there?

Moonshadow
2011-05-24, 02:44 AM
You have no idea... I'm tempted to take a photo of my desk so I can show people what a mess it is right now.

Can't you get that lady who was being mean to you a while back to clean it up or something for you? I mean, she has nothing better to do than annoy you after all, so you should put her to work :smallamused:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-24, 02:54 AM
Can't you get that lady who was being mean to you a while back to clean it up or something for you? I mean, she has nothing better to do than annoy you after all, so you should put her to work :smallamused:

Heehee, I can just imagine how well that would go down :smallamused:

It's not actually messy in the untidy sense of the word... just messy in that there is stuff everywhere. It's so full of stuff that it looks like it must be a mess... I have two monitors for my PC, my phone (which is quite a bit bigger than a normal phone as it's the switch phone), box of tissues, two trays, one paper rack thingie... bunch of other crap and now a laptop as well! Yeah, it looks bad.

I miss my big reception desk from downstairs :smallfrown:

Moonshadow
2011-05-24, 03:25 AM
Heehee, I can just imagine how well that would go down :smallamused:

It's not actually messy in the untidy sense of the word... just messy in that there is stuff everywhere. It's so full of stuff that it looks like it must be a mess... I have two monitors for my PC, my phone (which is quite a bit bigger than a normal phone as it's the switch phone), box of tissues, two trays, one paper rack thingie... bunch of other crap and now a laptop as well! Yeah, it looks bad.

I miss my big reception desk from downstairs :smallfrown:

Don't tell me that angry lady stole your desk as well :smallannoyed:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-24, 03:49 AM
Don't tell me that angry lady stole your desk as well :smallannoyed:

I like you. You're making me laugh :smallbiggrin: and it's been a really long day...

No, she didn't steal my desk. We used to be on the ground and second floors of this building. We have now sub-let the ground floor and have moved everyone up to the second floor. The ground floor office had a dedicated reception desk that was massive - at least twice as big as every other desk in the place. Upstairs there isn't room for a reception area at all, let alone my nice big desk, so I'm stuck in an office with two other people and a desk less than half the size of my old one. And I sprawl...

TrappedDoor
2011-05-24, 06:58 AM
G'day guys. I'm a new Aussie so I figured I'd post here. I've been floating around the Homebrew forum and the Spore Games (So awesome).

So Howdy. *Waves*

Moonshadow
2011-05-24, 07:11 AM
Here, sign this contract, leave your soul at the cloak room and enjoy your complimentary beverage.

Level8Mudcrab
2011-05-24, 07:11 AM
G'day guys. I'm a new Aussie so I figured I'd post here. I've been floating around the Homebrew forum and the Spore Games (So awesome).

So Howdy. *Waves*

Welcome to the thread. Please leave your sanity by the door :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-05-24, 07:13 AM
Oooo. Where are you from?

TrappedDoor
2011-05-24, 07:29 AM
I'm from Mandurah, a place near Perth in WA. Figured I'd join the forum since I started buying the books.

Serpentine
2011-05-24, 07:30 AM
Ooo, there's another 3 or 4 Perthy people.

TrappedDoor
2011-05-24, 07:41 AM
Yay! Not so lonely :smallsmile:

Anuan
2011-05-24, 03:52 PM
Got back to the workcamp twenty minutes ago. It is 6:52. AM.

Sotired.
So sore.
130 sleepers is not many at all, but when they're so spaced out...we walked through three outer-suburb stations :smallsigh:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-24, 07:47 PM
I'm from Mandurah, a place near Perth in WA. Figured I'd join the forum since I started buying the books.

Hey! Finally a place-name I actually recognise! And know where it is! :smallbiggrin:

Hi :smallsmile: I'm from Perth ... no... I'm from Christchurch I just live in Perth. Someone has to be the token Kiwi around here :smalltongue:

Anuan
2011-05-24, 11:40 PM
http://bite-dose.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Kiwi-bird-fruit.jpg

Dexam
2011-05-25, 12:13 AM

Greetings and/or salutations! Another Perthling here.

Hey! Finally a place-name I actually recognise! And know where it is! :smallbiggrin:

Hi :smallsmile: I'm from Perth ... no... I'm from Christchurch I just live in Perth. Someone has to be the token Kiwi around here :smalltongue:
:smalltongue:

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201105/r772434_6583248.jpg

Relevant article (http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2011/05/24/3225859.htm)

Anuan
2011-05-25, 12:22 AM
I was going to post that, but the Kiwi Fruit gag was irresistable :smalltongue:

Also, that sword I posted a few days ago? Made the last payment on it today. And when it arrives, I will go to the pumpkin patch, and I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE :smallfurious:

...You don't need to know the context on that.

Rawhide
2011-05-25, 12:43 AM

http://www.ilgiraresole.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/kiwi.jpg

Lady Moreta
2011-05-25, 01:03 AM
Anuan! Rawhide! That's just wrong... *shudders* :smallyuk:

The white kiwi on the other hand, is just adorable and is now my desktop background picture :smallsmile:

Rawhide
2011-05-25, 03:27 AM
LATEST NEWS!

Training for NSW State of Origin team was delayed this morning after a player found a white powdery substance on the ground. The coach suspended training & called the police. After analysis, forensic experts determined that the white substance, unfamiliar to most of the players, was not a drug - it was the try line... Practice will resume today as Police decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-25, 03:42 AM
LATEST NEWS!

Training for NSW State of Origin team was delayed this morning after a player found a white powdery substance on the ground. The coach suspended training & called the police. After analysis, forensic experts determined that the white substance, unfamiliar to most of the players, was not a drug - it was the try line... Practice will resume today as Police decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again.

I think that might just be the funniest thing I've heard all day...

Doesn't say much about my day does it?

Anuan
2011-05-25, 03:54 AM
LATEST NEWS!

AHAHA. BEST.

Roc Ness
2011-05-25, 03:58 AM
LATEST NEWS!

Hahahahaaa!

Shame that they apparently won't encounter it again. :smallbiggrin:

Dylaer
2011-05-25, 04:25 AM
On an unrelated note, is anyone here attending MANIFEST this year?

Moonshadow
2011-05-25, 04:27 AM
Maybe. Manifest got a bit eh for me a few years ago though.

Dispozition
2011-05-25, 04:35 AM
I imagine I'll be there with a few of my friends.

Rawhide
2011-05-25, 04:43 AM
I'm not 100% certain that I'll be there at this stage, but it's highly likely. How about we all meet on Sunday at History Alive?

It's $15 for a day pass, $25 if you want to be there Saturday too (definitely won't be there for Saturday, so, if you'd prefer to avoid me, that's the day to go).

Serpentine
2011-05-25, 04:47 AM

http://www.ilgiraresole.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/kiwi.jpghttp://static.zooomr.com/images/3051616_6ce63fd5a0_o.jpg

Rawhide
2011-05-25, 04:49 AM
http://static.zooomr.com/images/3051616_6ce63fd5a0_o.jpg

:eek:

Don't let Lady Moreta see!

Anuan
2011-05-25, 06:04 AM

This is the one I was looking for. Could not find. Glad somebody could :smalltongue:

SilverSheriff
2011-05-25, 06:42 AM
Apparently this History Alive thing is happening the next suburb over from mine. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Or at least the closest Train Station to Fort Lytton is.:smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-25, 07:37 PM
Serps! That's worse than the other two! :smalleek:

Agamid
2011-05-25, 10:44 PM

I will be at HA. at this point not sure if i'll just be public or actually be properly re-enacting, but i will be in costume and my Kaninchen will be on the field (hopefully!!)
If i'm just public i'll have Kaninchen's little sister with me and she is very high energy so i'll be happy for other company at any point. please.
If i'm as a re-enactor i'll be camped with KOLR (Knights Order of Lion Lampant) and Midguard (but i'm part of the teeny tiny group called Chained Hart), and I'll be going by the name Elsabeth de Sponheim-Kreuznach.

Anuan
2011-05-25, 11:43 PM
I'll be there as part of the Blackwolf, Aggie (can I call you Aggie? I've never called anyone Aggie before.) so yay if you're there as a reenactor we can hang out afterhours and such :3

I'll be there under the name Marcus Corvus d'Inola.

Moonshadow
2011-05-26, 02:59 AM
Serps! That's worse than the other two! :smalleek:

You're a Kiwi. Throw wetas at 'em.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-26, 07:42 PM
You're a Kiwi. Throw wetas at 'em.

That's awesome! I so should :smallbiggrin:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__rPRBY8jX3I/Sjxh71E9yEI/AAAAAAAACss/IUwVF710tz0/s400/giant_weta.jpg

Skeppio
2011-05-26, 07:59 PM
That's awesome! I so should :smallbiggrin:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__rPRBY8jX3I/Sjxh71E9yEI/AAAAAAAACss/IUwVF710tz0/s400/giant_weta.jpg

:smalleek: They actually grow that big?

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-26, 08:01 PM
And I thought we were the capital of bad bugs..

Lady Moreta
2011-05-26, 08:11 PM
:smalleek: They actually grow that big?

Yup :smallbiggrin: that's a giant weta, they don't get any bigger than that.

And I thought we were the capital of bad bugs..

Hey, it's not poisonous! Though apparently it does have a nasty bite, according to a friend of mine who got bitten by one.

Skeppio
2011-05-26, 08:52 PM
Yup :smallbiggrin: that's a giant weta, they don't get any bigger than that.

:eek: I'm scared now...
I'm putting that in the "If [object] is touching me, FREAK OUT!" part of my mind.

Anuan
2011-05-26, 09:09 PM
Yeah, Wetas are...Wetas are gross.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-26, 09:57 PM
You're welcome :smallbiggrin:

Dexam
2011-05-26, 11:41 PM
:eek: I'm scared now...
I'm putting that in the "If [object] is touching me, FREAK OUT!" part of my mind.

Yeah, Wetas are...Wetas are gross.

I dunno... I think it's kinda cute.
I shall love it and pet it and pet it and love it and call it George!

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-27, 12:28 AM
Friday is almost over. Just one more hour and I can go home.

I'm at the stage in my D&D campaign where I want to get it over with more than I enjoy it, even if we are up to the fun part.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-27, 02:46 AM
I'm bored... and there's over an hour before I can go home...

Someone entertain me?

Skeppio
2011-05-27, 02:55 AM

Someone entertain me?

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/231/skeppiojuggle.png

How's that?

Lady Moreta
2011-05-27, 02:59 AM
Awesome :smallbiggrin:

I am entertained :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2011-05-27, 03:26 AM

Someone entertain me?

http://cantyouseeimbusy.com/

Lady Moreta
2011-05-27, 03:33 AM
http://cantyouseeimbusy.com/

... I'm actually a little leery about clicking on that while I'm still at work...

Serpentine
2011-05-27, 04:01 AM
That's what it's for! :smallbiggrin:

_Zoot_
2011-05-27, 08:01 AM
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/231/skeppiojuggle.png

How's that?

That is actually pretty damn awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Skeppio
2011-05-27, 08:27 AM
Awesome :smallbiggrin:

I am entertained :smallbiggrin:

That is actually pretty damn awesome. :smallbiggrin:

:smallbiggrin: Thanks!

Salbazier
2011-05-27, 11:52 AM

Seeing this made me drool :smallbiggrin: Perhaps I should just eat that chicken for now. To bad I dont' have any of the fruits for dessert.

I do wonder how a real kiwi bird would taste.

Darkmyst
2011-05-27, 12:34 PM

Probably a bit like emu...

Lady Moreta
2011-05-27, 08:48 PM
That's what it's for! :smallbiggrin:

I know! I don't know why I worried...

Probably a bit like emu...

Bad. Bad people. No wanting to eat my cute little endangered species :smalltongue: To be fair, I once freaked out my archaeology class by wondering aloud what moa tasted like. But it's extinct, so that makes it okay.

_Zoot_
2011-05-27, 09:28 PM
I'll hazard a guess and say that both kiwi and moa taste like Chicken, most things tend to.

Rawhide
2011-05-27, 09:39 PM
I'll hazard a guess and say that both kiwi and moa taste like Chicken, most things tend to.

Surprisingly, chicken does not taste like chicken.

Skeppio
2011-05-27, 09:41 PM

*head explodes*

_Zoot_
2011-05-27, 11:08 PM

O.o

How can that be?! Everything I've been taught, a lie!

Darkmyst
2011-05-27, 11:09 PM

:smalleek:

Do "chicken flavoured" things taste like chicken, or is that false as well?

Moonshadow
2011-05-28, 12:03 AM
I find it hilarious that chicken flavored noodles are vegetarian :P

Serpentine
2011-05-28, 01:15 AM
Meh. I don't think anything much tastes like chicken. I think it's a myth, and a strange one at that, seeing as presumably this is one that many people have had an opportunity to test...

Salbazier
2011-05-28, 01:19 AM
Bad. Bad people. No wanting to eat my cute little endangered species :smalltongue: To be fair, I once freaked out my archaeology class by wondering aloud what moa tasted like. But it's extinct, so that makes it okay.

O-o. I don't know that. Too bad.

Chicken taste the spice and sauces used to cook it and eat with.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-28, 04:44 AM
Meh. I don't think anything much tastes like chicken. I think it's a myth, and a strange one at that, seeing as presumably this is one that many people have had an opportunity to test...

Me neither... I've never thought that chicken flavoured things tasted anything like chicken either... taste like salt for the most part.

edit: for those who don't look at the You thread very often, I finally got around to posting photos of the meetup there. I only did a few, since I have over 300 from the trip on my laptop and they've all been resized since the originals are massive.

If there's a particular shot that anyone really likes or some scene that someone remembers, let me know and I can see if I have a photo of it. Likewise, if you want a copy of anything, let me know and I'll see if I can shove the fullsize ones through my mailbox.

The Rose Dragon
2011-05-28, 06:27 AM
I am curious why this thread is named "Australasia" instead of "Australia". Maybe it's because in Turkish, Australia and Oceania are both the names of the continent that includes several islands around it, just as Europe is the name of a continent that includes Iceland and British Isles and such. But Asia and Australia are very distinct continents to me.

Serpentine
2011-05-28, 06:31 AM
Australasia includes Australia and several Pacific and South-East Asian countries around it - including Indonesia, New Zealand, New Guinea, and so forth. We might, roughly, all be on the one continent, although I'm not actually sure that this continental plate is called "Australia" - I doubt it, actually.
At the very least, I'm pretty sure Malasia, for example, comes under "Australasia", but it's not on the Australian continental plate.
edit: It's the Indo-Australian plate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Australian_Plate). Oddly enough, it doesn't appear to include a large portion of Indonesia or Malasia. And apparently, neither does Australasia... Oh well, we'll include it anyways.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-28, 06:49 AM
Not to mention that New Zealand isn't entirely on the Indo-Australian plate anyway... it's smack bang across that one and the Pacific plate.

_Zoot_
2011-05-28, 07:05 AM
The entire internet just decided to be full of heresy. And now nothing works.

Also, the dinner I cooked turned out to be a wasted effort.

But I'm better now.

Doorhandle
2011-05-29, 12:07 AM
A new playgrounder here. Say hi.

Zoot, why did the internet suddenly decide to join the convent of chaos?

Skeppio
2011-05-29, 12:09 AM
Welcome, Doorhandle! :smallsmile:

_Zoot_
2011-05-29, 05:06 AM
A new playgrounder here. Say hi.

Zoot, why did the internet suddenly decide to join the convent of chaos?

I really wish I knew. Then I would be half way to solving it. :smallfrown:

Roc Ness
2011-05-29, 06:09 AM
Heya Doorhandle, welcome to the Playground! :smallbiggrin:

I would make a remark about opening new doors of opportunity, but I take you already know a lot more about that subject than I do. :smallwink:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-29, 07:49 PM
Bad Roc. Very bad. :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2011-05-29, 07:57 PM
You two should get a grip, I'm sure you could turn him around if he's ever in the way. That is, unless he is locked on a particular path. I mean, it's not like he can't handle himself when trouble comes knocking.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-29, 08:05 PM
It is FREEZING here.

My hands were hurting earlier as it was that cold.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-29, 11:29 PM
I am sad... my favourite boots are throwing my hip out... looks like I won't be able to wear them to work any more :smallfrown:

also - we finally had some rain. Yay! :smallsmile:

Roc Ness
2011-05-30, 01:11 AM
I'll note that it is freezing here too. Demisting the windows on the classrooms is futile, and I could swear there was frost at some stage ('cos its got that sorta flaky pattern thing).

Also, rain. So wet. Have you guys had that thing where you've got a friend who needs to head outdoors in the rain and just refuses to borrow an umbrella, even if you don't need yours? Or even to duck under your umbrella?

You two should get a grip, I'm sure you could turn him around if he's ever in the way. That is, unless he is locked on a particular path. I mean, it's not like he can't handle himself when trouble comes knocking.

Bad Rawhide! Lashings for you! :smalltongue:

Hehehehehe! :smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-30, 01:31 AM
lso, rain. So wet. Have you guys had that thing where you've got a friend who needs to head outdoors in the rain and just refuses to borrow an umbrella, even if you don't need yours? Or even to duck under your umbrella?

I think I've been that friend on occassion. :smallredface:

But then, I like walking in the rain.

_Zoot_
2011-05-30, 02:23 AM
Yes, most of the Internet heresy (that I was afflicted by, anyway) is now fixed, all it took was to change to Fire-fox.

I run a meritocracy on my computer, Google Crome failed me, Firefox was promoted after showing its ability to get around the problem.

Roc Ness
2011-05-30, 02:29 AM
I think I've been that friend on occassion. :smallredface:

But then, I like walking in the rain.

Aww, but you might catch a cold. :smallfrown:

I run a meritocracy on my computer, Google Crome failed me, Firefox was promoted after showing its ability to get around the problem.

But what if the entire heresy was a ploy by Firefox in order to usurp Google Chrome's position? :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2011-05-30, 02:58 AM
Bad Rawhide! Lashings for you! :smalltongue:

Hehehehehe! :smallbiggrin:

Aww, I preferred what it said before you edited it. :smalltongue:

But lashings of what? Lashings of chocolate on my desert? Yes please!

Lady Moreta
2011-05-30, 03:29 AM
Aww, but you might catch a cold. :smallfrown:

Hasn't happened so far :smallsmile:

Moonshadow
2011-05-30, 03:31 AM
I am sad... my favourite boots are throwing my hip out... looks like I won't be able to wear them to work any more :smallfrown:

also - we finally had some rain. Yay! :smallsmile:

...how? Are you linedancing all the way to work and back or something?

Lady Moreta
2011-05-30, 03:36 AM
...how? Are you linedancing all the way to work and back or something?

I don't know :smallfrown:

I think it has something to do with the height of the heels on them - doesn't agree with my right hip apparently.

But the mental image of me line dancing all the way to work is hilarious :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-05-30, 03:44 AM
I once had to get my shoes' soles replaced because my flat-duck feet were causing them to wear down on one side, to the point where I would rock off of them and almost twist my ankle. That's when I started wearing insoles...
I can easily see it going the other way.

_Zoot_
2011-05-30, 05:43 AM
But what if the entire heresy was a ploy by Firefox in order to usurp Google Chrome's position? :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

That is a good point. But I run a meritocracy in the same way as they do in Dune or Code Geass, if you can get away with it, it'll fly. :smallbiggrin:

Salbazier
2011-05-30, 05:56 AM
Because I like speaking about food.. What kind of delicious food Australia or New Zealand have? (other than kiwi and emu ;))

Serpentine
2011-05-30, 06:16 AM
Well, for starters, we have a really good influx of international food (although a distressing lack of Indonesian, as far as I've seen...).
More locally... My preferences are meat pies - wooooo, meat pies! - and kangaroo, especially kangaroo mince P:
Lamingtons are pretty great, too.
Oh! Macadamias! Macadamias are great! I recommend macadamia-encrusted kangaroo steaks or fillets, if you can manage it. Cumin goes well with 'roo, too.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-30, 06:21 AM
I once had to get my shoes' soles replaced because my flat-duck feet were causing them to wear down on one side, to the point where I would rock off of them and almost twist my ankle. That's when I started wearing insoles...
I can easily see it going the other way.

Yeah, I've had to get the heels of one pair of shoes replaced because of the way I walk... will probably need to get the rest of them done at some point as well.

Food? New Zealand has the pavlova :smallbiggrin:

Dispozition
2011-05-30, 06:22 AM
Well, for starters, we have a really good influx of international food (although a distressing lack of Indonesian, as far as I've seen...).

L2Melbourne :P

I can think of two local Indonesian places, and like, 5 more within a 20 minute drive...In one direction :-|

Serpentine
2011-05-30, 06:23 AM
Moreta: Meh. You can have it :smallwink:

Dizzy: Really? Cooool. Is it any good?
Armidale has a plethora of Thai places. [insert oft-repeated rant lamenting replacement of the only Spanish place in town with yet another Thai restaurant] :smallsigh:

Roc Ness
2011-05-30, 06:24 AM
Aww, I preferred what it said before you edited it. :smalltongue:

Don't worry, at least you know you are the pun-master. Yours is the heron-marked rapier wit, the elder pund and the puncronomicon. :smalltongue:

Well, either you or Death, Your Friend the Reaper. :smalltongue: The elder pund and the puncronomicon are probably of his jurisdiction.

Moonshadow
2011-05-30, 06:39 AM
Don't worry, at least you know you are the pun-master. Yours is the heron-marked rapier wit, the elder pund and the puncronomicon. :smalltongue:

Well, either you or Death, Your Friend the Reaper. :smalltongue: The elder pund and the puncronomicon are probably of his jurisdiction.

But a rapier would have no place to etch the Heron o_o

Dispozition
2011-05-30, 06:41 AM
Dizzy: Really? Cooool. Is it any good?
Armidale has a plethora of Thai places. [insert oft-repeated rant lamenting replacement of the only Spanish place in town with yet another Thai restaurant] :smallsigh:

No idea, never been to any of them :D

Rawhide
2011-05-30, 07:08 AM
Food? New Zealand has the pavlova :smallbiggrin:

We have pavlova too! Jury's still out on who had it first (though I will admit that it is currently more likely to have been New Zealand apparently), but that doesn't mean we don't have it!

Besides, that's nothing, I once taught one of my dogs to salivate whenever we made it.

Salbazier
2011-05-30, 07:14 AM
More locally... My preferences are meat pies - wooooo, meat pies! - and kangaroo, especially kangaroo mince P:
Lamingtons are pretty great, too.
Oh! Macadamias! Macadamias are great! I recommend macadamia-encrusted kangaroo steaks or fillets, if you can manage it. Cumin goes well with 'roo, too.

Oooo. [I need one of Elan's faces here] that sounds delicious. I would love to taste kangaroo pie.. I always love to taste unusual kind of meat. Arrghh, If only I pay attention more this year I may had got a chance to Australia.

But, what is Macadamia and pavlova?

Serpentine
2011-05-30, 07:20 AM
Macadamia nuts:
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/blog/uploaded_images/MAC-701441.jpg
They're a... hm... buttery, oily sort of nut?

Pavlova:
http://aussiethings.biz/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/gb_pavlova.gif
Merangue(sp?), cream, fruit and stuff. I've never been a big fan.

Rawhide
2011-05-30, 07:27 AM
Macadamia is a nut. A very delicious nut. Especially when covered in chocolate.

Kangaroo is a very strong flavour. Really high in protein, but strong. The first time you eat it, you should have it with some other flavours. I suggest marinated.

Crocodile is another one you might like to try. Tastes kinda like chicken, but again, stronger.

Pavlova is a fluffy whites of an egg based desert. It's kind of like a soft meringue with a thin hard meringue shell. Very delicious. Sometimes served with cream and fruit on top. It's the huge soft bit that's the most delicious.

You should try some traditionally cooked damper. Damper is a special, but rather simple bread baked in the coals of a campfire.

You really should try the traditional Aussie meat pie. I know you can get pies anywhere, but seriously, you need to try a good Aussie one. With tomato sauce. Preferably from one of those single serve dispensers that open in the middle.

I don't like beetroot, but you probably should try a steak burger with beetroot. Preferably a works burger, with steak, mince, egg, bacon, lettuce, tomato, barbeque sauce and beetroot. Oh, and pineapple, can't forget the pineapple. Preferably from a service station.

Have you tried Vegemite? It has a VERY strong flavour. You will want to use only the thinest of thin spreads, no, even thinner than that, nope, thinner still, keep thinning it, the first time or it might overwhelm you.

Uhm, there's heaps more...

Serpentine
2011-05-30, 07:33 AM
Ah yes, the good ol' Ozzie hamburger. I believe Anuan has a story on the subject and the US. But I'll let him tell it if he wants to.

Salbazier
2011-05-30, 07:37 AM
Make really want to go to Aussie :smallbiggrin: I wonder if its possible to ask some kangaroo meat for souvenirs so I don't have to wait for next year :smalltongue: Crocodile is likely haram/forbidden for me though.

Serpentine
2011-05-30, 07:41 AM
Really? Crocodile? I'm... slightly surprised they even considered it.
Dunno whether kangaroo could go. Maybe smoked could... Check your customs, though.

Dispozition
2011-05-30, 07:45 AM
Dunno whether kangaroo could go. Maybe smoked could... Check your customs, though.

I'm sure Jerky would also be acceptable. I know croc/emu/kanga jerky exists. At least...It did in the NT...

Moonshadow
2011-05-30, 07:45 AM
Have you tried Vegemite? It has a VERY strong flavour. You will want to use only the thinest of thin spreads, no, even thinner than that, nope, thinner still, keep thinning it, the first time or it might overwhelm you.

Silly tourists and their inability to appreciate Vegemite. It's best eaten in a nice thick layer with some sharp cheese P: Nummy.

Dispozition
2011-05-30, 07:48 AM
Silly tourists and their inability to appreciate Vegemite. It's best eaten in a nice thick layer with some sharp cheese P: Nummy.

Reaaaally depends. I prefer a thinner layer with smoother cheese.

There again, also depends on my mood...

And now I want a cheese and vegemite sandwich :-|

Darkmyst
2011-05-30, 07:51 AM
Ahhh Vegemite. Forget the cheese, just slather a thick layer of it between two pieces of bread and tuck in. I promise, the result will be... memorable... :smalltongue:

Rising Phoenix
2011-05-30, 07:52 AM
Kangaroo sausages on the barbie are a perfect budget food if you are a uni student...mmm...

Apparently Possum tastes yuck...

Another thing that we have in abundance is wildlife... right at our doorstep... including our beloved huntsmen... There's currently one residing in our car... I hope he doesn't decide to go walkabout when I am driving.

Also G'day from another Australia (well Greek-Australian :))

Dispozition
2011-05-30, 07:54 AM
Ahhh Vegemite. Forget the cheese, just slather a thick layer of it between two pieces of bread and tuck in. I promise, the result will be... memorable... :smalltongue:

I have put nutella levels of vegemite on toast before. I was delicious :D

_Zoot_
2011-05-30, 07:59 AM
Vegemite can be good think or thin, but for new comers, you REALLY want to make sure it's thin. Your undeveloped taste buds will burn out otherwise, and you will never be able to enjoy Vegemite!

Unless, you know, you find that you like it that way. But I haven't meet someone that liked it that way on their first try.

Salbazier
2011-05-30, 08:03 AM

The haram thing? Or the custom thing? Its Carnivore.. well, carnivore is not the right word or else chicken will be forbidden as well. Generally large predator is haram.

They have Kangaroo sausage?

Klose_the_Sith
2011-05-30, 08:07 AM
Unless, you know, you find that you like it that way. But I haven't meet someone that liked it that way on their first try.

That or you met me fourteen years ago and never asked :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-05-30, 08:14 AM
The haram thing? Or the custom thing? Its Carnivore.. well, carnivore is not the right word or else chicken will be forbidden as well. Generally large predator is haram.Aaaaah, of course. Yes, that makes sense. Bummer for you, it's tasty :smalltongue:

They have Kangaroo sausage?

Kangaroo sausages on the barbie are a perfect budget food if you are a uni student...mmm...Eh. As much as I love kangaroo, I've never liked the sausages. Kinda dry and weirdly textured and not very tasty.

Salbazier
2011-05-30, 08:46 AM
Aaaaah, of course. Yes, that makes sense. Bummer for you, it's tasty :smalltongue:

Fine by me. I never got tempted to taste haram meat anyway...except the ambiguous one.. like shark.

Serpentine
2011-05-30, 08:54 AM
If shark's haram, when you come to Australia (not sure about elsewhere) don't order flake.
If you don't mind me asking, what about things like tuna and other carnivorous fish?

Rawhide
2011-05-30, 09:07 AM
I was reading up on the whole crocodile thing and apparently shark is ok.

Salbazier
2011-05-30, 09:12 AM
Tuna's fine. Sea creatures generally is fine, even (naturally) dead ones. It's the shark's teeth if I I remember correctly that made the issue (well there's different opinions about shark, just like almost everything else). I'm not to knowledgeable in such matter myself.

Serpentine
2011-05-30, 09:17 AM
Huh. There you go.
Good thing, seafoods delicious P:

Salbazier
2011-05-30, 09:23 AM
Hu uh. I love seafood. Shrimps especially. South Kalimantan, my birthplace is overflowing with seafood (and delicious recipes made of it), to the point that even my family sick of it at a time. I move out when I was very young though so I hardly remember it. Javanese way of cooking fishes, baring some exception, is often lacking to my tongue.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-30, 07:38 PM
Merangue(sp?), cream, fruit and stuff. I've never been a big fan.

Me neither to be honest :smalltongue: Well, not any more at least. I loved it when I was a kid, but have since decided it's just too sweet.

Pavlova is a fluffy whites of an egg based desert. It's kind of like a soft meringue with a thin hard meringue shell. Very delicious. Sometimes served with cream and fruit on top. It's the huge soft bit that's the most delicious.

Eewww... no it's not! Pavlova should be made so that it's more shell than soft bit, I don't like the soft bit...

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-30, 08:42 PM
Soft bit is the best part!

Skeppio
2011-05-30, 09:17 PM
Eewww... no it's not! Pavlova should be made so that it's more shell than soft bit, I don't like the soft bit...

Soft bit is the best part!

The battle rages on. :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-30, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure why I'm arguing though... I went off pavlova years ago, it's just too sweet for me now. Not to mention, I like the hard part because the pav's my mother always made had lots of crusty shell and never much soft part. And that's my Australian mother...

I think I'm arguing just for the heck of it.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-30, 10:43 PM
My favourite cake is sacher torte, which has a strong meringue component. :smallbiggrin:

bladescape
2011-05-30, 10:52 PM
My opinion on Pavlova's? I like both bits. ^_^

Although, I do prefer the softer part, especially with cream and peppermint chocolate grated on top. Although fruit isn't bad.

Galileo
2011-05-30, 11:01 PM
I feel weirdly cheerful for someone who just lost a pint of blood.

And I feel like bursting into song. This song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidiWe9yq88) I'm not sure why.

Darkmyst
2011-05-31, 12:50 AM
Silliy Insanealien, you're meant to keep all your blood on the inside. That way you don't go losing the odd pint or two like you've apparently done.

Pavlova should be made so that it's more shell than soft bit, I don't like the soft bit...

Total agreement with this opinion.

Anuan
2011-05-31, 02:07 AM
Reaaaally depends. I prefer a thinner layer with smoother cheese.

This.

Also this.

I don't like beetroot

Get out mah country.

Lioness
2011-05-31, 02:24 AM
I can't stand pavlova...blergh.

(But I love beetroot and vegemite and lamingtons...don't kick me out)

Also I have amazing amounts of homework...I've let myself get behind, and now I have to catch back up. Don't be surprised if you don't see me around at all until term finishes.

Skeppio
2011-05-31, 02:29 AM
Also I have amazing amounts of homework...I've let myself get behind, and now I have to catch back up. Don't be surprised if you don't see me around at all until term finishes.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen you around much lately at all. Best of luck with the homework. Hopefully we'll see more of you soon. :smallsmile:

Which reminds me, my term is coming to a close in about a week and a half. Luckily most of my work is up to date and polished. I'm hoping for some good results. :smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-05-31, 02:53 AM
Get out mah country.

I don't like beetroot either. Gonna kick me out too? :smalltongue:

Moonshadow
2011-05-31, 02:57 AM

I dislike beetroot with a passion. And pineapple. And beer. I'm more unAustralian than you :P

Dexam
2011-05-31, 02:58 AM

The Aussieness Standards Patrol is already on it's way to collect you. No, don't try to run - they know where to find you.

:smallwink::smalltongue:

Anuan
2011-05-31, 03:43 AM

Oh, you're one of the foreigners that came over and took our jobs anyway. Kicking you out isn't allowed :smalltongue:

Roc Ness
2011-05-31, 03:52 AM
I don't like beetroot.

Why am I asking to get kicked out? :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

Level8Mudcrab
2011-05-31, 04:09 AM
+1 to the not liking beetroot crowd.

bladescape
2011-05-31, 05:09 AM
I don't like beetroot either!

Must be the in-crowd these days. ;-)

Level8Mudcrab