PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #782 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2011-03-21, 06:12 AM
New comic is up.

Eldan
2011-03-21, 06:15 AM
I like the gladiator names on the list. Poor Evisceratus.

Edhelras
2011-03-21, 06:16 AM
Actually, now I'm REALLY getting that cliff-hanger heart-beating excitement - pleeease come quick with the nest comick!

BTW - is there ANY chance at all, plotwise, that the Champ is Girard? (although I would settle for Thog...).

Orzel
2011-03-21, 06:20 AM
Aaaww. Why can't Belkar get the good matches? Roy fights are not duely enough.

Can I get the names on the list? Too small to read without morning joe.

DrWilhelm
2011-03-21, 06:20 AM
I wonder if the Champ will be anyone we know. It ought to be a fun twist if it is.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 06:21 AM
Good choice of names :smalltongue:

Just to get it out of the way: the Champ is Girard doing it for the fun of it.

:smallfurious: Frickin' Swordsages!

Quild
Ooooh, interesting fights coming.
Ganji is #3 ? O_o And Belkar sixth >_<

Mr. Snuggles
Awesome! Ganji vs. Enor. I've been waiting for the "screw them over" fight pairings, and we get not one but two in the same comic!

Roy is in no real danger though, Durkon is right there and I assume diamonds are available. Roy has a "life sentence", which would then be served and it would all be nice and legal for everyone.

The Linker
2011-03-21, 06:23 AM
Missing period between "Maybe I'll get to fight him next week" and "It's a pity you won't be around to see it[...]" :smallbiggrin:

Also this is going to be heart-wrenching.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-21, 06:24 AM
Oh wow.

Oh WOW.

This is getting better and better.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-03-21, 06:24 AM
PS typo: "fight him next week It's a pity"

Nogster
2011-03-21, 06:26 AM
I was expecting an NCAA bracket joke when I first saw the gladiator list :smallfrown:

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 06:28 AM
Aaaww. Why can't Belkar get the good matches? Roy fights are not duely enough.

Can I get the names on the list? Too small to read without morning joe.

1. :roy:

2. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/enorsmileysmall.png
3. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/gannjismileysmall.png

4. Offpantio (Off-panel)
5. Notseenicus (Not Seen)

6. :belkar:
7. Evisceratus (Was eviscerated)

8. Vermillius (Red)
9. Cerulisaus (vs. Blue)

Dunamin
2011-03-21, 06:28 AM
Very nice!

But how did Belkar get bumped down to #6? :smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 06:29 AM
Very nice!

He got beaten down by Roy in one attack remember.

aabicus
2011-03-21, 06:30 AM
I'm predicting either an anti-climax or the return of a previous character for this 'champ' battle.

Irbis
2011-03-21, 06:30 AM
I was expecting an NCAA bracket joke when I first saw the gladiator list :smallfrown:

What joke? :smallconfused:

Also, how come first level commoner was placed 7th? Do they lack qualified gladiators so badly?

Also also, if the combatants above Belkar were stronger than him, a pity we haven't seen their fight.

Scarlet Knight
2011-03-21, 06:31 AM
I wonder if the Champ will be anyone we know. It ought to be a fun twist if it is.

Who do we know who kills with his hands?

Ranzear
2011-03-21, 06:31 AM
{scrubbed}

Props to those who predicted Gannji vs Enor.

Of mice and men.. er... dragons and lizardmen?

The Linker
2011-03-21, 06:33 AM
He got beaten down by Roy in one attack remember.

It seemed plain to see that he was still better than the other guys, though. Dancing around smacking all kinds of people in the head as he does front-flips? I'd put him a bit farther over Eviceratus. :smalltongue:

Tass
2011-03-21, 06:33 AM
Ouch. Gastrointestinal floss. :smalleek:

Mutant Sheep
2011-03-21, 06:34 AM
The Champ is obviously Tarquin! Or some guy we've never seen before and wont see until the Gannji Enor fight is over. Either way, awesome comic. Also, Haley's dad is funny again!

Ranzear
Oh, perhaps there's significance in the title "Not Yet Met His Match".

Who do we know to be significant that Roy hasn't yet met?

Goosefeather
I'm predicting either an anti-climax or the return of a previous character for this 'champ' battle.

We've just had an anti-climactic fight though - two in a row would probably be pushing it.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-03-21, 06:35 AM

:thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog:

thog is champ!

Irbis
2011-03-21, 06:38 AM
No, the champ is Therkla :smallsigh:

Eh, it's pretty obvious it's going to be someone new, both logically and from the title of the comic.

RickDaily12
2011-03-21, 06:39 AM
Also also, if the combatants above Belkar were stronger than him, a pity we haven't seen their fight.

Offpanelio and Notseenicus... Heh Heh.:smallamused:

So Gannji and Enor are squaring off together? I wonder if Tarquin is going to force one of them to kill the other?

And as for Roy's mystery match, I wonder if the posters from the eariler comics give some sort of clue to who that might be... (the posters and the bronze statue BOTH included beheadings of Roy...):smallfrown:

Susil
2011-03-21, 06:40 AM
Oooh. Me likey.

Ok, spec time - they've told us that the gladiator games normally happen on weekends. Assuming its a regular weekend event, then its 37 weeks since this Champ came on the scene. Thats roughly 9 months ago.

I lost the timeline a little here. How long is it since the Azure City battle? If it does line up, it isn't ridiculous to guess at Thog since we know the linear guild went straight for the Western continent as the battle finished.

:smallsmile:

LuPuWei
The Giant does it again- overturning expectations! (The Gannji vs Enor possibility was brought up, but I at least forgot to consider a 'Champ')

If Girard is the Champ, its possible his fights have all been illusions allowing him to spare and recruit the best fighters to wind up in the arena (though why he would do this, I'm not sure)

Edit:

Wait, are you saying O-Chul got captured and thrown in prison again??

Anitar
Oh, perhaps there's significance in the title "Not Yet Met His Match".

Who do we know to be significant that Roy hasn't yet met?

"His match"... Celia?!

correnos
2011-03-21, 06:41 AM
Wow. Have to say, I did not see that coming.

Wonder who the champ is. Girard's the obvious guess, just because he's the one we know already in this area. It's possible that it's a member of Tarquin's team pulling the role to keep the crowds happy.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-21, 06:46 AM
I'm thinking the champ is just a new character. GASP!

Edric O
2011-03-21, 06:46 AM
I love the other gladiators' names.

Evisceratus got eviscerated. Hehehehe. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: ninja'd... by the first reply.

suszterpatt
2011-03-21, 06:47 AM
I'm thinking the champ is just a new character. GASP!
Don't be ridiculous, it's obviously Hilgya.

faustin
2011-03-21, 06:51 AM
I'm thinking the champ is just a new character. GASP

Maybe Belkar´s replacement :smallamused:

But I put my beat on Julia Greenhilt with a Belt of Gender-Change.

Shale
2011-03-21, 06:52 AM
The champ is clearly Yakyak.

Also, poor Gannji and Enor. They're jerks, but not nearly big enough jerks to deserve that. I hope the next strip involves them finding a way out.

Crod
2011-03-21, 06:57 AM
Ouch!

I wonder if Gannji and Enor will fight at all or choose to team up against the Allosaurus. I don't think Gannji will last against Enor unless he pulls some sneaky move "Awww.. I can't fight you pal" followed by *backstab-by-Gannjji*

Gnoman
2011-03-21, 06:59 AM

Forgive me if I seem insulting, but I'm assuming that you don't know what a NCAA bracket is from this reply. If I misunderstood you, I intended no offense.
/disclaimer

American college basketball plays an elimination series of the top ranked teams in March to determine the season champion team. This tournament is laid out in a format like this:

School A
-----------School A
School b

School C
-----------School D
School D

In this example, school A defeated and eliminated School B, and D defeated C. D and A advanced to the next round.

Because this tournament is happening (about to happen) now, and could easily be tied to the gladiator matches, and the Giant has made NCAA references before, it is not unreasonable to think that he might have referenced it here.

AxeD
2011-03-21, 07:01 AM
Cool, if Roy manages to take on this hard core guy, he might level up enough to catch up to his friends.

BayardSPSR
2011-03-21, 07:01 AM
It will certainly be interesting to see whether Enor and Gannji are willing to kill each other.

And sad.

Sad is fun, though. Can't wait!

Skaven
2011-03-21, 07:05 AM
Am I the only one who at this point doesn't care about Belkar or Roy and their fights, and only care about Gannji and Enor? :/

Lurkmoar
2011-03-21, 07:06 AM
Am I the only one who at this point doesn't care about Belkar or Roy and their fights, and only care about Gannji and Enor? :/

I can't speak for everyone else, but I care the most about Roy. Here's hoping he's up to the as of yet unseen challenge...

Collen
2011-03-21, 07:12 AM
I'm going to take a guess and say that one of the champion's classes is Barbarian.

Matamane
2011-03-21, 07:23 AM
It's totally Thog. The fact that they were looking for Nale at the beginning of this plot arc was totally foreshadowing this. I mean come on, this is just complicated and pointlessly convoluted enough to be one of Nale's plans.

The Pilgrim
2011-03-21, 07:26 AM
The Ganjnji vs Enor thing, saw it coming. The Champ? not so much. Let's see who this guy happens to be.

Shale
2011-03-21, 07:27 AM
No way it's Thog. Tarquin would know Nale is still alive if he had one of the Linear Guild in prison. Unless you think Thog could keep a secret for months on end?

Barstro
2011-03-21, 07:28 AM
I expect that the final battle will be Belkar and Mr. Scruffy against karma for this horrible insult.

Rad
2011-03-21, 07:34 AM

Although I like them as characters I never really felt for them. Having them fight each other? That feels so... cruel! I really hope they can overcome this!

theNater
2011-03-21, 07:35 AM
Very nice!

Also, how come first level commoner was placed 7th? Do they lack qualified gladiators so badly?

Remember, we were told in #746 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0746.html) that there are two ways to get in; being really good, and being really bad. Belkar's opponent was probably among the worst fighters, not the best.

The numbers aren't a ranking of fighters by ability, they're just indicators of scheduling.

Forealms
2011-03-21, 07:39 AM
Eh, I'm going to go with someone else and say that Roy's fight will be someone with exactly two levels of Ranger, IYKWIM.

It would explain why Tarquin knew Girard, and it would make sense that somebody with epic levels (or near epic) could take down people consistently. And, who knows, maybe he can't use magic or just doesn't have the motivation to leave.

Ancalagon
2011-03-21, 07:40 AM
Now, that is karma for Gannji. He refused and refused to cooperate with Roy, now he's get to kill his buddy, get killed by his buddy, or both die (in case they refuse to fight Tarquin will release the Alosaurus or something similar).

Serves that jerk quite well!

RMS Oceanic
2011-03-21, 07:42 AM
Whatta tweest![/Shamalan]

Unless another unexpected thing occurs, I anticipate some tears in a few strips. :smallfrown:

factotum
2011-03-21, 07:42 AM
I don't see it being Thog--he's too well known as an associate of Nale for them to put him in the arena unless Nale himself were safely out of the way, and we know that isn't the case because they mistook Elan for Nale when he first arrived at the palace! Not going to be Girard either, because an elderly ranger/illusionist isn't going to be ripping people's heads off with his bare hands.

No, my guess is this is an entirely new character.

As for Gannji vs. Enor, as long as Gannji is the survivor I don't have a problem with it; I think Enor would get rapidly irritating due to his extreme stupidity if he stayed in the comic for long.

theNater
2011-03-21, 07:43 AM
No way it's Thog. Tarquin would know Nale is still alive if he had one of the Linear Guild in prison. Unless you think Thog could keep a secret for months on end?
He might manage. We've seen that he has some resistance to interrogation (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0367.html). :smallbiggrin:

blazingshadow
2011-03-21, 07:48 AM
the champ being one of the order of the scribble might be a very good posibility.

the names on the schedule list were awesome

cc_kizz
2011-03-21, 07:57 AM
This strip stretched that gut just a bit more. Let me echo about the awesomeness of the gladiator list.

I do wonder who the undefeated champ is…

Ruduen
2011-03-21, 07:59 AM
Try not to kill any more gladiators on the way through the parking lot!

PsychedelicBard
2011-03-21, 08:03 AM
Well, that was unexpected. :smallamused:

Irbis
2011-03-21, 08:03 AM
Forgive me if I seem insulting, but I'm assuming that you don't know what a NCAA bracket is from this reply. If I misunderstood you, I intended no offense.

Yes, when something is used in US only the assumption the other person might be from one of the 170 countries that don't have that system is rather safe to make.

Looking at what you described, though, I don't see any joke in there, nor anything that makes it NCAA-specific, it's pretty standard system that was invented hundreds of years before NCAA was conceived.

Shale
2011-03-21, 08:09 AM
It's not even a bracket. There's no tournament format. It's just a list of names, grouped off by twos.

Tazar
2011-03-21, 08:09 AM
If Girard is the Champ, its possible his fights have all been illusions allowing him to spare and recruit the best fighters to wind up in the arena (though why he would do this, I'm not sure)

I like this theory.

Burner28
2011-03-21, 08:13 AM
You know what... It is probably just going to be a new character.

JSSheridan
2011-03-21, 08:13 AM
Thanks Giant!

I think the moral outlook of Roy's fight just changed.

Kareasint
2011-03-21, 08:14 AM
Somehow, I suspected that Gannji would be fighting Enor. Lining the best combatant up to take on a champion seemed like something out of the Roman era.

@Kobald-bard: Looks like someone else speaks some Latin. Nice to meet you.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 08:22 AM
Somehow, I suspected that Gannji would be fighting Enor. Lining the best combatant up to take on a champion seemed like something out of the Roman era.

@Kobald-bard: Looks like someone else speaks some Latin. Nice to meet you.

I do? That's news to me :smallconfused:

What gave you that impression?

Lycan 01
2011-03-21, 08:23 AM

I'm with you. I know Roy has plot armor, and while I like Belkar I don't really care much if he dies since it will likely be awesomely done. But Ganji and Enor? They're two of my favorite NPCs, and I don't want to see them kill each other... :smallfrown:

random11
2011-03-21, 08:28 AM
:roy: hmm, I guess I will have to use THIS technique.

:belkar: "THIS" technique?

:roy: Yes, the one I learned while being dead.

Suddenly, the earth will start to glow, stones will start to hover in the air, Roy's hair (wait, what hair?) will change it's color, and...

Yes...

WAAAAY too much manga for me.

Themrys
2011-03-21, 08:31 AM
I'm with you. I know Roy has plot armor, and while I like Belkar I don't really care much if he dies since it will likely be awesomely done. But Ganji and Enor? They're two of my favorite NPCs, and I don't want to see them kill each other... :smallfrown:

I really want to see whether they do kill each other, though.
Roy has stated he won't fight his opponent, whoever it is, and I am sure he really won't. (Unless the opponent is someone Roy would kill under other circumstances - Thog, for example)
Enor and Ganji however...I don't think Enor could kill Ganji, but the other way round, I'm not so sure.

Grim Reader
2011-03-21, 08:33 AM
Some high-level melee person from Girards old gang?

martianmister
2011-03-21, 08:34 AM
The numbers aren't a ranking of fighters by ability, they're just indicators of scheduling.

No, the numbers are a ranking of fighters by power and ability. Evisceratus was eighth most powerful gladiator. Most of them are nothing but level 1 commoners.

QDI
Hou, take that Lizardman!

Hope they team up against the Allosaurus, who will refuse to fight them, and we end up with a big Arena rebellion.

Oh wait, I want to see Roy's fight too. Let them die :D

Once again, Belkar is the funny one in the comic.

EmperorSarda
It seems Roy failed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html). Nor does it seem like anyone saw the foreshadowing of Roy facing off against the Champion.

Barstro
2011-03-21, 08:35 AM

I had that thought too. I don't know much of the mechanics of magic, or if Illusion is different, but wouldn't it be difficult/impossible to do illusions like that? The cells are almost certainly anti-magic. The arena might not be AM, just so all of the guards' (and Tarquin's) magic items work, but wouldn't people notice the spells being cast? And even if Girard found a way around all the above, I find it statistically inconceivable that he is at least 37 in a row for finding convincing people to not fight him anyway.

Hard to imagine that Tarquin has multiple rings of regeneration, but he doesn't constantly look through a silver mesh in order to discern illusion. Except that the whole silver mesh thing is from a different magic universe altogether.

I think that the only way this could really be just Girard's illusions is if someone very important in the government is in on the joke.

ricorum
2011-03-21, 08:37 AM
I like the gladiator names on the list. Poor Evisceratus.

So true. Too bad we didn't learn his name until after he was dead.

Morph Bark
2011-03-21, 08:41 AM
Best part of this one? The names on the list.

Poor Enor. :smalltongue:

The Linker
2011-03-21, 08:43 AM
No, the numbers are a ranking of fighters by power and ability. Evisceratus was eighth most powerful gladiator. Most of them are nothing but level 1 commoners.

theNater has a point. Ian already pointed out that they like to pit the strong ones against the weak ones. You couldn't get that with the current system if the numbers represented a ranking in power and ability.

There's no way in hell Belkar's weaker than that kobold was. :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2011-03-21, 08:46 AM
You know what... It is probably just going to be a new character.

I agree, it can't be Geoff, Mr. Starshine, or anyone we saw since in jail since solitary confinement

can't be Thog, his wanted poster was up to so we know that he is still out there.

can't be MitD, he is still back at Gobbotopia.

COULD be Girard but thats a very low probability thing, cause first you'd have to explain how Girard is suddenly strong enough to kill a stone giant with his bare fists and I get the feeling that illusions for some reason wouldn't work, Tarquin is too detailed to overlook that. It would however explain how Tarquin knows of the gates.

so yea new character.

also, new thought: Order of the Scribble each chose the gate closest to their homelands right? Girards homeland is therefore the sandy continent that the order is on right now right? notice how there are so many rulers and such and how evil said rulers is?
growing up in that environment explains Girards irrational hatred of authority, he grew up in a place where every ruler is selfish and evil and nations change every few years to make way for a new selfish ruler and that it has happened so often he has grown incredibly cynical about authority, cause if it was just one empire or something it wouldn't be anything special since he would have other things to compare it to- but if every government he had witnessed growing up was just as selfish and evil a violent as all the rest then he soon started thinking that all governments must be like that.

t209
2011-03-21, 08:46 AM
It's sad to see two friends fight each other to death! Prepare your TV Trope and write it as an example for trope about tear jerker or Heroic Sacrifice (if enor or lizard guy let himself killed)
P.S- Is the arena based on Spartacus (the old version) or Gladiator (Russel Crowe)? Are they romans?

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-21, 08:48 AM
I'm surprised no one has pointed out the error in Enor's speech balloons (they're not blue or anything).

Anyway, can't wait to see how all this turns out.

Shale
2011-03-21, 08:49 AM
Epic-level illusions could be sufficient to convince everyone, including the unlucky victim, that said victim had just had his head ripped off.

I think it's more likely that it's one of Girard's (former) teammates, though, and he's talked about his allies to the authorities.

martianmister
2011-03-21, 08:50 AM
theNater has a point. Ian already pointed out that they like to pit the strong ones against the weak ones. You couldn't get that with the current system if the numbers represented a ranking in power and ability.

Enor: "He was ranked #2!"

Guard: "Yeah, and you're ranked #3, so it's you vs. him."

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 08:52 AM
Maybe the champ is Serini in drag?

Girard's illusion did say "they" after all.[/pokingthebear]

Gray Mage
2011-03-21, 08:55 AM
Is every fight a fight to the death? We know that thumbs up is for Allosaurus, but they did say that not all fight were to the death, so Enor and Ganji could survive.

LuPuWei
2011-03-21, 08:56 AM
I had that thought too. I don't know much of the mechanics of magic, or if Illusion is different, but wouldn't it be difficult/impossible to do illusions like that? The cells are almost certainly anti-magic. The arena might not be AM, just so all of the guards' (and Tarquin's) magic items work, but wouldn't people notice the spells being cast? And even if Girard found a way around all the above, I find it statistically inconceivable that he is at least 37 in a row for finding convincing people to not fight him anyway.

Hard to imagine that Tarquin has multiple rings of regeneration, but he doesn't constantly look through a silver mesh in order to discern illusion. Except that the whole silver mesh thing is from a different magic universe altogether.

I think that the only way this could really be just Girard's illusions is if someone very important in the government is in on the joke.

I'm assuming Girard's probably a very high level illusionist (given that he trusts his illusions enough to use them to defend his gate) However, I don't know how that sort of magic works in D&D either and what sort of capabilities an Epic Level illusionist would have. I agree that Tarquin (being Tarquin) probably has some sort of anti-magic protocol to avoid such situations but could Girard be powerful enough to over come such measures? And either way there's still the question of whether Girard has enough motivation to recruit new fighters in this way.

Onyavar
2011-03-21, 09:00 AM
I agree, it can't be Geoff, Mr. Starshine, or anyone we saw since in jail since solitary confinement

can't be Thog, his wanted poster was up to so we know that he is still out there.

can't be MitD, he is still back at Gobbotopia.

COULD be Girard [...]

Why didn't it dawn to anyone that the champion could be Tarquin himself? Tarquin seems really capable to win all those fights.
And he would pardon Roy if Roy finally decided to join his army.

Well, about Ganji and Enor... Tough luck, guys.

Finzy
2011-03-21, 09:01 AM
PLEASE let the champion be Thog, please please please... :smallbiggrin:

Also, not sure if anyone spotted this yet, but there's a missing period in the end of the "Maybe I'll get to fight him next week" sentence.

Morph Bark
2011-03-21, 09:04 AM

Considering the kobold and his opponent were never seen as their names indicate, the kobold probably had a level on him. :smalltongue:

willpell
2011-03-21, 09:04 AM
I do hope we actually see the Ganji vs. Enor fight even though they're just NPCs. But at the same time I'm impatient to see what's gonna happen to poor Roy - I'm hoping he doesn't have to die a second time. And who is this mysterious Champ? I agree no old character seems likely (it's possible "not yet met" just means Roy hasn't met them, but more likely that WE haven't), but what new thing could the Giant throw in that would befit the suspense that's been created here?

OMG it'd be hilarious if The Champ was the monk from Origin of PCs! The one Belkar made cry? What if he found a way to get ultra-badass, kicks Roy's butt, and Belkar gets so cheesed about missing an epic fight that he goes out there, prepared to crush the monk's spirit again, and gets killed by him? Everyone who's ever been bullied in school would root for an outcome like that.

The Linker
2011-03-21, 09:05 AM
Enor: "He was ranked #2!"

Guard: "Yeah, and you're ranked #3, so it's you vs. him."

Yes, OK. That doesn't indicate in any way how the rankings are determined.

He didn't say "You're the third best fighter here," he said "You're ranked #3." The guards wanted a good fight, Enor was in the #2 spot, they had free reign to pick whoever they thought would make for a good fight to put in the third slot.

Why didn't it dawn to anyone that the champion could be Tarquin himself?

Because Tarquin's pretty clearly not in solitary confinement? :smalltongue:

Zerg Cookie
2011-03-21, 09:12 AM
Nice one, but I have a wish.
Can we please NOT see Gaanji and Enor fight? Can we PLEASE get back to the plot? I think we had enough of this crap dictatorship, let's see Roy mop the floor with Girard and move on.

Wait, Girard is the champion?! I just made an epileptic tree! :smallbiggrin:

Damaris
2011-03-21, 09:12 AM
Is every fight a fight to the death? We know that thumbs up is for Allosaurus, but they did say that not all fight were to the death, so Enor and Ganji could survive.

Tarquin said that he's looking forward to seeing them (him?) die in the arena though, it seems unlikely that he'd let them live, especially Ganji.

hobbitkniver
2011-03-21, 09:16 AM
I expected it to end with Roy vs. Belkar as the big horrible match-up. Hopefully Roy doesn't die again, he was gone for too long last time, and he is among my favorite of the PCs.

Warren Dew
2011-03-21, 09:20 AM
You're not the only one. Plot armored fights really aren't that interesting.

That said, I'd actually prefer not to waste a whole strip on Gannji and Enor; neither is a protagonist, and the outcome of the fight doesn't seem germane to the overall plot or to the current arc. Someone remarking on the outcome in one panel - "gee, that allosaurus must be getting really full" - would be fine.

Scarlet Knight
2011-03-21, 09:21 AM
It will certainly be interesting to see whether Enor and Gannji are willing to kill each other.

Of course they're willing! They're lizardfolk & bounty hunters. The epitome of cold-blooded killers. :smallwink:

pendell
2011-03-21, 09:28 AM
Gannji vs. Enor?

That's horrible. But very true to the real-life games. The original purpose of the games was to make captured enemy soldiers fight to the death for the amusement of their captors, killing their best friends and comrades to save their own lives.

Betcha anything this wasn't random, but a deliberate choice by Tarquin. His willingness to do this shows the depth of evil he is at, like Xykon humiliating his enemies in the worst way possible instead of just killing them.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Icedaemon
2011-03-21, 09:31 AM

Even if the fighters were ranked according to their competence (which I am still not assued of), it seems clear that perceived competence was enough. Noone tried to divine their stats, they just put the halfling bully against the confrontational human who had been building himself up as the hero and thought it might go either way.

Burner28
2011-03-21, 09:33 AM
Of course they're willing! They're lizardfolk & bounty hunters. The epitome of cold-blooded killers. :smallwink:

Hah...Hah...Very "Funny"

talkamancer
2011-03-21, 09:40 AM
Wins 37 straight fights ?
Tears the heads off stone giantswith his bare hands. Must be O'chul ?

Burner28
2011-03-21, 09:41 AM

If I recall correctly he is still with Hinjo and Lien

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 09:43 AM

He didn't rip the head off a stone giant. He killed a stone giant and ripped the head off a separate enemy.

Messenger
2011-03-21, 09:44 AM
The champ is either Girard or Tarquin. Thog is unlikely to make an appearance as he's almost as wanted as Nale.

So Gannji and Enor are squaring off together? I wonder if Tarquin is going to force one of them to kill the other? No one extorts money from me in front of my son. I look forward to seeing you die in the arena. - Tarquin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html)

I bet Enor is going to refuse to kill his one true friend while Gannji has no choice but to kill Enor- and it's going to break his heart as he does.:smallfrown:

Enor and Gannji may be minor antagonists, but they're antagonists you can really like. "Like" not in the sense of admiring Affably Evil Magnificent Bastards like Tarquin whom you know are actually evil and deserve justice, but like just for who they are- two friends who truly care about each other.

random11
2011-03-21, 09:48 AM
I have a feeling the two of them were paired to fight each other as part of Tarquin's revenge.

Particle_Man
2011-03-21, 09:50 AM
My guess as to the Champ (and one that could very easily take on a Stone Giant with PC class levels, and who is known to be somewhere around here (for certain definitions of "around here"):

The Snarl!

Now THAT would be epic. :)

KoboldRevenge
2011-03-21, 09:53 AM
The match is probably Xykon! :smallconfused:

Zerg Cookie
2011-03-21, 09:56 AM
Because Xykon is obviously a prisoner in the EoB... Even Thog makes a better guess, and he'd be executed on sight if he ever dares show his green face in the western continent

danielmayer
2011-03-21, 10:05 AM
I know! I know!
It's the monk with .... 4 attacks (years ago!)... from OoPCs

proof: "with his bare hands". Only a monk or a babarian could do this and I hope it's not another new NPC. Had lots of them lately.

HalfTangible
2011-03-21, 10:06 AM
heheh. Naziknickers, the kobold ^^

I know you didn't do it on purpose, but... *snicker*

Also: i did NOT see that last-minute fight match-up coming...

headmonkeyboy
2011-03-21, 10:07 AM
:smallsmile:Ok. The champ just has to be the carnivourous bunny from monty python and the holy grail.
Either that, or some REALLY important guy like Girard or a Linear Guild member. :roach:

talkamancer
2011-03-21, 10:08 AM
He didn't rip the head off a stone giant. He killed a stone giant and ripped the head off a separate enemy.

I know that but couched as I put it sounded more epic and fitting for my O'Chul hypothisys.

Etcetera
2011-03-21, 10:11 AM
Loving the gladiator names.

Notseenicus. Heh.:smallbiggrin:

Messenger
2011-03-21, 10:13 AM
The match is probably Xykon! :smallconfused:As much as Xykon would probably enjoy this sort of thing, he now means business and isn't going to waste any more time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html).

danielmayer
2011-03-21, 10:16 AM
forgot to mention the great, great interpretation of he Orders' name: "Stick"... in the first panel. Love it.

Werewindlefr
2011-03-21, 10:17 AM
Loving the gladiator names.

Notseenicus. Heh.:smallbiggrin:

Offpanelo.

martianmister
2011-03-21, 10:18 AM
The champ is either Girard or Tarquin. Thog is unlikely to make an appearance as he's almost as wanted as Nale.

Tarquin? How is that even possible? :smallconfused:

Barstro
2011-03-21, 10:19 AM
Why didn't it dawn to anyone that the champion could be Tarquin himself? Tarquin seems really capable to win all those fights.

Because it would be silly for Tarquin to risk possible death with very little to gain, and the guards would probably refer to him as "General" or "Tarquin" instead of "The Champ". But mainly because "The Champ" has been in solitary confinement.

The argument could be made that nobody ever really sees this prisoner in solitary confinement, thus there really isn't one, and Tarquin actually fights the final battle in disguise. But I think my first argument about little to win, but much to lose still applies. Besides, somebody would have noticed that Clark Kent Tarquin always leaves when the Champ fights.

Bastian
2011-03-21, 10:23 AM
I am betting on a human, possibly a berseker.

Funny how was destined to fight the Champ from the start (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html), even before being handpicked for that.

The ranking system is surely based on perceived competence to some degree: Roy was put in the first slot after being observed decking Belkar with a single blow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0748.html). Enor makes for quite an imposing figure, so that's probably why he got slot #2.

Tarquin was impressed by Roy's fighting skills only later (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0753.html), so it's not the result of his decision.

Tarquin is the Champ (which I find highly unlikely) is however befitting a Caligula-style Emperor.

Toper
2011-03-21, 10:29 AM
In a row?!?

Also love the gladiator names. Nice subtle-like references all around. And a strong comic plotwise too -- I didn't see this coming at all, it's definitely a pair of interesting developments! I agree with the people suggesting that the Champ's power is likely related somehow to Girard's illusions... I imagine the relationship between Girard and Tarquin will be illuminated, maybe this has something to do with why Tarquin didn't want to talk about Girard until after the big event.

kinch
2011-03-21, 10:36 AM
Having Ganji and Enor "find a way out of it" seems too predictable (and also kind of boring). If, on the other hand, in this duel between friends (or at least companions of some sort), one kills the other, we'll have a bit of nice, gritty character development instead.

Of course, what the Giant has in mind will probably surprise me regardless.

the_tick_rules
2011-03-21, 10:48 AM
Wonder if the guards are exagerating a little bit?

EmperorSarda
2011-03-21, 11:00 AM
Funny how was destined to fight the Champ from the start (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html), even before being handpicked for that.

Actually, Roy fighting the Champ was foreshadowed before that here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html).

Dalek-K
2011-03-21, 11:11 AM
Yes, when something is used in US only the assumption the other person might be from one of the 170 countries that don't have that system is rather safe to make.

Looking at what you described, though, I don't see any joke in there, nor anything that makes it NCAA-specific, it's pretty standard system that was invented hundreds of years before NCAA was conceived.

As soon as I read this I needed to reply... My friends from China, Europe, and Aussie land all have money riding on the NCAA bracket :smallbiggrin:

Also...

Who says that the guards or anyone knows who the champ really is? It is quite possible that Tarquin is pulling some sort of switcheroo so that he can have some fun fighting as an alter ego.

Beowulf DW
2011-03-21, 11:16 AM
Oooh, finally. I've been waiting for that lizard dude to get screwed over ever since he first appeared. Joke's on the jerk, now.

Blaznak
2011-03-21, 11:23 AM
Great read! Well done. I love the gladiator names on the list, by the way.

Another_Poet
2011-03-21, 11:25 AM
I just want to give more well-deserved kudos to Rich.

I read every single strip and always love 'em, but these last few with the arena arc have been especially awesome. Low on exposition, high on emotional impact, and the jokes are as great as always.

Thanks, Mr. Giant. We heart you :)

Agi Hammerthief
2011-03-21, 11:34 AM
cool developement there :smallbiggrin:

______

art glitch in panel 5: if they have only three fingers, shouldn't one of them be below the clip board to hold it?

_______

and could someone please help us Latin illiterate out with the names?

I'm not talking about Offpanelo or Notseenicus here

Another_Poet
2011-03-21, 11:37 AM
Roy has a "life sentence", which would then be served and it would all be nice and legal for everyone.

Gladiators are slaves, which means they are property. Their corpses are thus the property of the state. If killed, his sentence would be served, but his corpse would not be returned to family - it is too valuable for undead-making.

Perhaps they could buy it at a government auction however :)

Calmness
2011-03-21, 11:41 AM
:thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog:

thog is champ!
Alas, our dearest half-orc would more than likely get his ass handed to him. I'm expecting a halfling as the Champ.

Giggling Ghast
2011-03-21, 11:43 AM
I won't be sorry if Enor ends up tearing Gannji in half. He started the fight in the bar and then refused to work with Roy when they were tossed in the gladiator pits. This situation is entirely of his own making.

hamishspence
2011-03-21, 11:44 AM
Gladiators are slaves, which means they are property. Their corpses are thus the property of the state.

Depends on the setting- in some, freemen can choose to become gladiators.

Similarly- a condemned criminal sentenced to die fighting in an arena, is not necessarily a slave in that sense- they don't become property simply because of the death sentence.

Murdim
2011-03-21, 12:01 PM
and could someone please help us Latin illiterate out with the names?

I'm not talking about Offpanelo or Notseenicus here
Evisceratus means... well, disemboweled. No, really. I checked, and Rich actually did his research. That, or he just got lucky, because evisceratus is the past participle of eviscerare.

Vermillius is canis latinicus for vermillion, a shade of red. Ceruleaus is canis latinicus for cerulean, a shade of blue. Together, they are Red vs Blue (http://www.redvsblue.com/).

snikrept
2011-03-21, 12:04 PM
Hmm, the SRD lists a T-rex as CR 8. Presumably an allosaurus is similar. Gannji & Enor could team up and kill it I bet. Might be tough without all their magic items though.

Plus that would allow Gannji to make a Jabba the Hutt / Rancor joke. Maybe they'll drop a portcullis (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0780.html) (see panel 1) on its head. :smallbiggrin:

Another_Poet
2011-03-21, 12:10 PM
Depends on the setting- in some, freemen can choose to become gladiators.

Similarly- a condemned criminal sentenced to die fighting in an arena, is not necessarily a slave in that sense- they don't become property simply because of the death sentence.

Completely fair point, except it's the Empire of Blood.

I highly doubt they would even waste the time setting up a "come and collect the body of your loved one" system, let alone give up corpses or risk the resurrection of enemies of the state.

Once you run afoul of Her Majesty, she owns you.

DSCrankshaw
2011-03-21, 12:17 PM
Once you run afoul of Her Majesty, she owns [sic] you.

What you meant to say was: "Once you run afoul of Her Majesty, she eats you."

And I do feel sort of sorry for Gannji, but more so for Enor.

faustin
2011-03-21, 12:28 PM
Evisceratus means... well, disemboweled. No, really. I checked, and Rich actually did his research. That, or he just got lucky, because evisceratus is the past participle of eviscerare.

Vermillius is canis latinicus for vermillion, a shade of red. Ceruleaus is canis latinicus for cerulean, a shade of blue. Together, they are Red vs Blue.

Yes, you guessed it. The centurion of Brian´s Latin Lesson works now in the Empire of Blood :smallbiggrin:

Faldrath
2011-03-21, 01:05 PM
The weird thing about all this is why Ian and Geoff never mentioned a "champ" before, since it does seem to be very relevant information for new gladiators like Roy.

HandofShadows
2011-03-21, 01:05 PM
ROFL. Fantastic names on the list! The Giant Strikes again!

Widdlyscuds
2011-03-21, 01:08 PM
Hooray for unexpected plot twists!

Morph Bark
2011-03-21, 01:10 PM
The weird thing about all this is why Ian and Geoff never mentioned a "champ" before, since it does seem to be very relevant information for new gladiators like Roy.

Considering how they haven't been put on the list since a long time, it might not have seemed relevant to them, or the champ might just have been a recent thing.

Faldrath
2011-03-21, 01:12 PM
Considering how they haven't been put on the list since a long time, it might not have seemed relevant to them, or the champ might just have been a recent thing.

He killed 37 gladiators in a row... it does seem relevant, and probably not recent, assuming games are a weekly thing.

KingFlameHawk
2011-03-21, 01:12 PM
Hmm, the SRD lists a T-rex as CR 8. Presumably an allosaurus is similar. Gannji & Enor could team up and kill it I bet. Might be tough without all their magic items though.

Plus that would allow Gannji to make a Jabba the Hutt / Rancor joke. Maybe they'll drop a portcullis (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0780.html) (see panel 1) on its head. :smallbiggrin:

So after they beat the Allosaurus by crushing it under a gate its handler will show up and start crying?:smallfrown:

Raistlin82
2011-03-21, 01:23 PM
Yes!
Death to all lizards! :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-03-21, 01:48 PM
Karma indeed!

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-21, 01:49 PM
He killed 37 gladiators in a row... it does seem relevant, and probably not recent, assuming games are a weekly thing.

so far we have seen that most of the gladiators in this arena have not had class levels in anything but commoner

my level 3 fighter could probably kill that many commoners

although there is the stone giant... but they might have been bluffing

DM

KillItWithFire
2011-03-21, 02:13 PM
Considering the champ beat a giant I'm waiting for a gnome. :smallbiggrin:

devo
2011-03-21, 02:14 PM
Belkar is such a babe

rewinn
2011-03-21, 02:29 PM

Perhaps not mentioning the champ is a survival habit. They'd want someone else to take the fall each week. The most important thing for them is to be rated in the middle, neither good enough to make an exciting fight nor bad enough to make a funny (...to a sadistic crowd...) fight. They really should have broken the habit to warn Roy, but Ian didn't really have much time to think things through; he learned that Roy was Haley's friend only a short time before the pairings were announced and by that time, it was too late for Roy to pretend to be only moderately competent.

"His match"... Celia?!

Celia isn't his match; she's his flame! :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 02:36 PM
Alas, our dearest half-orc would more than likely get his ass handed to him. I'm expecting a halfling as the Champ.

Nah, it's gonna be a gnome. Preferably Solt Lorkyurg.:smallbiggrin:

Grim ranger
2011-03-21, 02:47 PM
Naaah, this one is easy. I bet the champ is the monk from "On the Origin of PC's" whose spot in the Order Belkar stole from right under him. Wouldn't it be fun? :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 02:50 PM
Naaah, this one is easy. I bet the champ is the monk from "On the Origin of PC's" whose spot in the Order Belkar stole from right under him. Wouldn't it be fun? :smalltongue:

People keep saying this, is it just the "bare hands" thing? Because that sounds like a long shot (and very weird throwback to a throw away character who not everyone will know since not everyone has read the bonus books).

HappyBlanket
2011-03-21, 02:55 PM
...The list. What happened to Spartacus? And Spartacus? And his beloved childhood friend Spartacus?

dtilque
2011-03-21, 03:13 PM
...The list. What happened to Spartacus? And Spartacus? And his beloved childhood friend Spartacus?

They're in the loo...

As for why Belkar was put up against the wimpiest gladiator ever: The needs of the joke outweigh the needs of plot consistency.

Edit: it occured to that the last line above could be ...er .. "improved"... how about

The needs of the zany outweigh the needs of the true.

NegativeFifteen
2011-03-21, 03:23 PM
Is there a reason why Enor's speech bubbles are no longer blue?

Jay R
2011-03-21, 03:24 PM
Thog is unlikely to make an appearance as he's almost as wanted as Nale.

Let's remember that being wanted is how you become a gladiator.

B. Dandelion
2011-03-21, 03:30 PM
When I read the line about ripping the guy's head off with his bare hands, my first thought was that the mystery champion wasn't human or humanoid at all.

My thought right after that was that he's a monster in the darkness. Not the MitD that's a part of Team Evil, but the same species.

I'm not at all sure why my brain went there, but I maintain it makes at least as much sense as it being Girard.

Kal Ironfresh
2011-03-21, 03:33 PM

Well, if it's like an NCAA bracket, they could be on the other side of the bracket.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-03-21, 03:33 PM
The Champion is seen on the poster... but he's been mistaken for his son. It is obvious the Champion is Thog's Dad.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 03:34 PM
The Champion is seen on the poster... but he's been mistaken for his son. It is obvious the Champion is Thog's Dad.

Oooh, that's a good one, and would make sense. But I hope the champion is the zombie of Solt Lorkyurg.:smallbiggrin:

Fish
2011-03-21, 03:51 PM
Of course, Vermilius and Ceruleus are these guys (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0778.html), Vermillion and Cerulean — red and blue.

Alex Warlorn
2011-03-21, 03:52 PM
Best laid plans of dragon/ogers and lizardmen. Their entire scheme down the tubes. Roy is gonna be in a fight with the most dreaded death machine imaginable (or is just a bait and switch fight, after all, no one would want a return of the 'Roy is dead' plot line and so the guy's gonna turn out to be all bark and no bite possibly).

And I doubt they're gonna be allowed to both leave that arena alive. Either shorty kills his buddy to save his own hide after talking him down. Or the big guy is confused, befuddled, and addled and kills his body in his own confusion among the conflicting orders coming from everybody.

Too bad he's not likely to live after Belkar cuts him into dragon/oget cutlets, he'd make a nice replacement for the team's numbers if it's shorty whose killed and after Belkar bites the big one. He not really evil it seems, just obedient to the one person who gets along with him.

Still, better a thick bull than a mad dog for your attack animal in the long run if you have friends.

Also, we learn the name of Belkar's victim.

Evisceratus. We shall remember ye level one commoner gladiator. I will at least.

Jay R
2011-03-21, 04:32 PM
Two strips ago, someone asked what showing the intestines added to the strip.

Can we please stop getting answers now?

Jay R
2011-03-21, 04:36 PM
... And Spartacus? And his beloved childhood friend Spartacus?

The official word is that this will not be fully explored (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html).

Belthasar
2011-03-21, 04:53 PM
"Blue Dragon Thing," heheheh, priceless. :smallbiggrin:

SteveDJ
2011-03-21, 05:12 PM

Oh, how quickly you all forget... the mighty strength of... Mr. Scruffy!!! (he did kill with w/o weapons - just his bare... hands claws) :smallbiggrin:

IronWilliam
2011-03-21, 05:15 PM
Wow...
That was totally unexpected:smalleek:

Cerlis
2011-03-21, 05:17 PM
i'm betting that Enor is going to be confused how to fight, trying to put on a good show (or they will execute both of em) while not trying to hit Gannji. He will get a little to rough and then Ganji will fight back, and will get pissey and they will argue and then Gannji will let it slip that the lizardfolk string is fake, and say something mean and hurtful to Enor in order to ruin his moral so he can win, but Enor will actually get mad at him and kick his ass.

Girard's the obvious guess

i'm truley confused by this sentiment that every other person here is saying.

Girard is up there with Lirian (who kicked Xykons ass once) and Soon (who kicked Xykons ass without being alive). There is no way he could be stopped by Tarquinn, and no way he'd work for him. He hate paladins becaue he views them as exactly like people like Tarquinn.

He probably has Lawful Brand Raid cans for random lvl 1 Lawful people that bug him.

dps
2011-03-21, 05:32 PM
4. Offpantio (Off-panel)

I thought it was Offpanelo.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 05:38 PM
I think the champ is Thog's father.

stimepy
2011-03-21, 05:49 PM
Let's remember that being wanted is how you become a gladiator.

This is true, however you forget, Nale and his band tried to overthrow Tarquin. I highly doubt he would allow Thog or Nale the change to do so again. Not even the glimpse of a hope of a change. If they show up I think they will be executed if not on the spot, at least in the most elaborate way Tarquin can think of without putting himself at risk.

Perks of being son(or friend of the son) of an evil dictator, your disciplinary action is likely as not to be the hang mans noose.

As far as Girard, it's likely connected. Though I doubt it would be Girard directly. Now since Girard has issues with people like Tarquin, it's likely not a very strong connection.

More then likely it's a new character(Maybe of the linear guild but a new member!). After all someone did the math, 9months roughly worth of wins (assuming every week a game) it's possible a connection to Nale but as I said it shouldn't be a direct relation(at least a direct known relation).

Dyluth
2011-03-21, 05:52 PM
As always this was a great comic, and quite the expecting one in that it signals a bit of an unexpected turn for the Order, or at least Roy and Belkar.

Also I have to say that I love the theories that have been presented here on this thread so far! Excellent work fellow Oots fans!

Amridell
2011-03-21, 06:12 PM
Anybody thought of anticlimax? I mean, Mr. Burlew set it up for that pretty obviously. For example, what if the champion is a kobold? Or a goblin? Or a yellow-footed rock wallaby? Sure it would make no sense, but then again, Boots of Elvenkind don't make "sneak sneak" sounds when used. All I'm saying is what if it's some really physicly deficient race? But then again, he'll have to come out riding, per se, a dragon or something to make him look huge.

Not sure how Belkar would react to watching Roy beat up a kobold (even an awesomely powerful one) and being unable to get in on the action, though.

Lvl45DM!
2011-03-21, 06:25 PM
Of course! its so simple! the champ is
Pun-Pun!

Jay R
2011-03-21, 06:30 PM
For the record, I am now officially out of the business of predicting what happens in the arena.

And so are you, unless you picked Red & Blue vs. Allosaur, Mr. Scruffy vs. Commoner, Enor vs. Gannji, Roy vs. the Champ, and Belkar as confused innocent bystander.

EmperorSarda
2011-03-21, 06:37 PM
And so are you, unless you picked Red & Blue vs. Allosaur, Mr. Scruffy vs. Commoner, Enor vs. Gannji, Roy vs. the Champ, and Belkar as confused innocent bystander.

But Roy vs The Champ was foreshadowed nearly 50 strips (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html) ago.

Theblackmage
2011-03-21, 06:39 PM
How is it no one seems to have thought of this? The Champ very well could be
the Allosaurus! He looks to have beaten quite a few gladiators, and the guards never said that the 37 were the top gladiators of the day/event. He's even in solitary confinement (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0780.html) (1st panel) and ends fights "way too quickly (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0778.html)."
You heard it here first. :smallbiggrin:

EmperorSarda
2011-03-21, 06:43 PM
I don't think the Allosaurus can reach someone's head with his arms to rip someone's head off though.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 06:43 PM
How is it no one seems to have thought of this? The Champ very well could be
the Allosaurus! He looks to have beaten quite a few gladiators, and the guards never said that the 37 were the top gladiators of the day/event. He's even in solitary confinement (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0780.html) (1st panel) and ends fights "way too quickly (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0778.html)."
You heard it here first. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, because an allosaurus can rip a guy's head off with his bare hands.:smalltongue:

Belsirk
2011-03-21, 06:58 PM
Ouuch! cRap
Stone giant with PC level killed ...

OUCH! good luck Roy, hope you don't end being use as human flail

by the way... impressive the karma for the poor belkar

megabyter5
2011-03-21, 07:07 PM
The idea that the Champ could be the OoPCs Monk has a major flaw in it, and it's MUCH bigger than the fact that he was just a throwaway gag. He can't be the Champ, because HE'S A MONK.

t209
2011-03-21, 07:12 PM
Nice one, but I have a wish.
Can we please NOT see Gaanji and Enor fight? Can we PLEASE get back to the plot? I think we had enough of this crap dictatorship, let's see Roy mop the floor with Girard and move on.

Wait, Girard is the champion?! I just made an epileptic tree! :smallbiggrin:

What if The Portal is sitting on top of the city or became part of the city! Maybe this can be a main plot after all.
Does everybody died (excluding belkar, Roy, enor or ganji)or eliminated from the fight since their (roman) names are crossed out.

Cerlis
2011-03-21, 07:44 PM
actually the Thog's father thing makes sense. Thog is obviously a decent powerhouse, and it would have been a good way for Nale to meet thog. If they where buddies back then, then this city may very well be thog's hometown.

Dragon Elite
2011-03-21, 08:07 PM
The second panel needs a period between the "week" and "It's". Other than that, great comic! Keep up the excellent work Rich!

Nerocite
2011-03-21, 08:28 PM
The Champ is Leeky. Obviously the guard meant to say "Bear hands"

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-21, 08:39 PM
Yay, Enor's speech balloons are fixed. (Or was I just imagining that?)

Alas, our dearest half-orc would more than likely get his ass handed to him.
Why? He probably wasn't dead for 8 or so months like his opposite, and if he is indeed the Champ, that means he's been regularly gaining XP (unless they always were too weak).

Vectner
2011-03-21, 08:46 PM
What a twist, we should come to expect this from the giant, but I was caught by surprise. I can't wait to see who the champ is!

Dvandemon
2011-03-21, 09:06 PM
Now, what would be the closest approximation to the level of someone who can do such things? 37 wins, killed Stone Giant PC, Str enough to decapitate...
My guess as to the Champ (and one that could very easily take on a Stone Giant with PC class levels, and who is known to be somewhere around here (for certain definitions of "around here"):

The Snarl!

Now THAT would be epic. :)

There's so many things just plain, awful with this idea :facepalm:
The match is probably Xykon! :smallconfused:

Guys? Guys! I'm pretty sure he was sarcastically replying to TPAH

Zea mays
2011-03-21, 09:58 PM
I think the champ is Thog's father.

I suppose it depends on which parent is responsible for Thog's orc half-ness.

(Elan refers to him as a half-orc here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0066.html))

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 10:04 PM
I suppose it depends on which parent is responsible for Thog's orc half-ness.

(Elan refers to him as a half-orc here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0066.html))

I know Thog's a half-orc, but that doesn't mean he has to have an orc parent and a human parent. Though it would be even more awesome if Thog's dad is a full orc, rather than a half-orc.

Faramir
2011-03-21, 10:09 PM

Miko!

No, I'm not serious.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2011-03-21, 10:56 PM
Okay, so the guesses so far, starting with what seems to be the favorite:

1. A monk from from a prequel book
2. Thog
3. Girard
4. One of Girard's friends
5. One of the MitD's relatives
6. Julia
7. The Snarl
8. One of Thog's relatives
9. One of Yikyik's relatives
10. Leeky Windstaff
11. O-Chul
12. Xykon
13. Miko, who is dead
14. Tarquin
15. The Allosaur
16. Pun-pun
17. The bunny from that one movie
18. Hilgya
19. One of V's relatives
20. Nobody we know.

#20 is still the most likely, since Girard would likely pop up somewhere less expected.

Morgan Wick
2011-03-21, 11:49 PM
Well, now I bet Roy wishes he could trade his spot for Belkar.

My guess is the real threat is that, once Roy dispatches the Champ, he'll be expected to become the new Champ indefinitely.

Yes, that's why he said he expected an NCAA bracket joke, which implies he didn't actually get one.

OMG it'd be hilarious if The Champ was the monk from Origin of PCs! The one Belkar made cry? What if he found a way to get ultra-badass, kicks Roy's butt, and Belkar gets so cheesed about missing an epic fight that he goes out there, prepared to crush the monk's spirit again, and gets killed by him? Everyone who's ever been bullied in school would root for an outcome like that.

Strip title: "It Gets Better".

Tarquin said that he's looking forward to seeing them (him?) die in the arena though, it seems unlikely that he'd let them live, especially Ganji.

I call Allosaurus.

The Champ is Leeky. Obviously the guard meant to say "Bear hands"

Ooh! I know! The champ is Pompey!

What? It makes at least as much sense as Girard.

brionl
2011-03-22, 12:08 AM
Of course, Vermilius and Ceruleus are these guys (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0778.html), Vermillion and Cerulean — red and blue.

Ooh, good catch.

moxproxy
2011-03-22, 01:36 AM
Great strip!

Also, typo in the last panel: "...an elaborate plan on the the universe's part..."

And when are people going to start reading the thread before posting questions that have been answered 10 times already?! No wonder these threads get so frickin' long! :smallannoyed:

Jimorian
2011-03-22, 01:40 AM
You're not the only one. Plot armored fights really aren't that interesting.

That said, I'd actually prefer not to waste a whole strip on Gannji and Enor; neither is a protagonist, and the outcome of the fight doesn't seem germane to the overall plot or to the current arc. Someone remarking on the outcome in one panel - "gee, that allosaurus must be getting really full" - would be fine.

I somehow doubt that with the care and details that Rich has put into these characters marks them as a minor side thread to this side plot. Something significant is likely to come out of this battle that will make it far more important than Roy's, assuming we even get to that last battle.

Felixaar
2011-03-22, 01:46 AM
Loved "Offpanalo" and "Notseenicus". Look forward to seeing the champ. Thog would be good, and killing with his bare hands might make sense, since he no longer has his axe. For some reason I have a bizarre idea that it will be that ship captain who was with Hinjo, but that makes no sense at all.

esingh
2011-03-22, 02:21 AM
Maybe a half dragon oger with some barbarian levels
just a thought

Eric O'Really
2011-03-22, 04:32 AM
i bet 10 bucks, the champion is tarquin himself.

whitelaughter
2011-03-22, 04:51 AM
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Champ

The Empress of Blood probably has relatives who would make decent champions.

EDIT: Oh, the title of the strip rules out most contenders: Roy hasn't met the Champ yet....

Unkillable_Cat
2011-03-22, 06:20 AM
Of mice and men.. er... dragons and lizardmen?

Tell me about the skinks, Gannji! :smalltongue:

Gnoman
2011-03-22, 06:28 AM
The idea that the Champ could be the OoPCs Monk has a major flaw in it, and it's MUCH bigger than the fact that he was just a throwaway gag. He can't be the Champ, because HE'S A MONK.

This is a world where a fighter and a ranger are more than capable of keeping up with a higher level wizard. Monks are probably equally overcompetent as compared to their 3.5 version.

kierthos
2011-03-22, 06:44 AM
About the only way I see Gannji and Enor living through their fight is if they make (okay, if Gannji makes) an impassioned pro-reptilian speech to the crowd that reaches the ear-holes of the Empress herself.

In a moment of scaled solidarity, she demands their freedom.

Then notices that neither of them are red-colored, says "Never mind." and goes back to eating another three head of cattle as a light snack.

Shale
2011-03-22, 07:13 AM
This is a world where a fighter and a ranger are more than capable of keeping up with a higher level wizard. Monks are probably equally overcompetent as compared to their 3.5 version.

Nah, the entire point of the monk showing up in OOTPCs was (safety spoiler for pay content) for Belkar to make fun of how useless single-class monks are.

Gnoman
2011-03-22, 08:06 AM
And Ray's dad has a lot of that with Fighters.

Shale
2011-03-22, 08:09 AM
Yeah, but in this case the monk admitted it.

PsychedelicBard
2011-03-22, 09:37 AM
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Champ

The Empress of Blood probably has relatives who would make decent champions.

EDIT: Oh, the title of the strip rules out most contenders: Roy hasn't met the Champ yet....

Pazaak sounds like Bozzok.

So there. Our champion's a parody of this guy.

Doug Lampert
2011-03-22, 10:15 AM
Okay, so the guesses so far, starting with what seems to be the favorite:

Snip list:
20. Nobody we know.

#20 is still the most likely, since Girard would likely pop up somewhere less expected.

What? Has no one mentioned the half ogre from this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html) strip?

But I'm with number 20 myself.

Ooh! I know! The champ is Pompey!

What? It makes at least as much sense as Girard.

Sadly, I think that one makes FAR MORE sense than Girard. Is there any actual reason to expect Girard to be spending his time as a gladiator in what he'd see as a hell-hole transient little empire ruled by a nobody fighter who's probably not even epic?

BladeofOblivion
2011-03-22, 10:20 AM
Notseenicus and Offpanelio...

Yes.

weckar
2011-03-22, 10:44 AM
My personal theory:

1. The champ is Girard

2. He's remaining there on an understanding with Tarquin.

3. The arena was likely there before Tarquin conquered.

4. The gate is hidden inside the arena, we just can't see it for the illusions. You know, hiding in plain view?

DaggerPen
2011-03-22, 11:38 AM
I'm voting for either a relative of Thog or someone we haven't met yet as the Champ. Really not seeing the rationale behind some of these other guesses...

Hawkfrost000
2011-03-22, 12:12 PM
Girard is an illusionist with two levels of ranger.

I doubt he has a high enough strength to rip off someones head.

Corian
2011-03-22, 12:34 PM
Just realized that Mr. Scruffy disembowelled Evisce-RATUS. The rat. figures....

Another_Poet
2011-03-22, 01:12 PM
Just realized that Mr. Scruffy disembowelled Evisce-RATUS. The rat. figures....

Your language-fu is still weak, young apprentice.

Dvandemon
2011-03-22, 01:32 PM
I'm voting for either a relative of Thog or someone we haven't met yet as the Champ. Really not seeing the rationale behind some of these other guesses...

Yes, because a relative of Thog is much better :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 01:34 PM
Yes, because a relative of Thog is much better :smalltongue:

Hey! It makes total sense if the champ is Thog's dad!

Dvandemon
2011-03-22, 01:48 PM
Please elaborate :smallconfused:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 01:51 PM
Please elaborate :smallconfused:

It would explain how Nale met Thog. And orcs are also really strong, and half-orcs are too. We have no proof that Thog's father is human, so he could easily be orc or half-orc.

Shale
2011-03-22, 01:52 PM
Girard is an illusionist with two levels of ranger.

I doubt he has a high enough strength to rip off someones head.

That's where the "illusion" part comes in.

Dvandemon
2011-03-22, 02:59 PM
It would explain how Nale met Thog. And orcs are also really strong, and half-orcs are too. We have no proof that Thog's father is human, so he could easily be orc or half-orc.

Oh, okay :smallbiggrin:

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-22, 03:34 PM
Why do so many people seem to think the comic titles are hints for the future? They're pretty much always A.) plays on words/phrases, or B.) follow-ups to punchlines. In this case, it's just a play on the idiom "met [his] match." (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/meet+match)

Calmness
2011-03-22, 03:41 PM
Why? He probably wasn't dead for 8 or so months like his opposite, and if he is indeed the Champ, that means he's been regularly gaining XP (unless they always were too weak).
Ah, you are right. I forgot about the XP Thog could get in the arena. That would certainly make a difference.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-22, 04:21 PM
I'd rather the champ be a new character, sort of the quintessential gladiator, and not someone we've seen before, to be honest. Does everything have to be a twist?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 04:31 PM
I'd rather the champ be a new character, sort of the quintessential gladiator, and not someone we've seen before, to be honest. Does everything have to be a twist?

We've never seen Thog's father. I'm hoping he's the champ.

fibonacciseries
2011-03-22, 05:12 PM
Ah, you are right. I forgot about the XP Thog could get in the arena. That would certainly make a difference.

Given that the guards are making such a big deal out of the fact that one of the people he killed had Class Levels, and then go even further to say that they're PC Class Levels, it's clearly an impressive accomplishment even if he only had NPC Class Levels. It therefore seems unlikely that it is possible for a mid-level character, let alone Roy or Belkar, to earn much XP in the Arena.

Doug Lampert
2011-03-22, 05:30 PM
Given that the guards are making such a big deal out of the fact that one of the people he killed had Class Levels, and then go even further to say that they're PC Class Levels, it's clearly an impressive accomplishment even if he only had NPC Class Levels. It therefore seems unlikely that it is possible for a mid-level character, let alone Roy or Belkar, to earn much XP in the Arena.

Killing someone with class levels isn't what makes it impressive, EVERY GUARD has at least one class level since humans have no racial HD.

It's killing a STONE GIANT with class levels that's impressive. PC levels is in fact just icing on the cake. A Stone Giant with one PC class level is a minimum of CR9, and probably worth XP to any character in the strip except for Xykon and Darth-V.

If Roy is about level 13 then without his magic toys an UNCLASSED stone giant is a very serious threat. PC levels gives the giant Elite abilities, max HP at level 1, and the actual class levels.

stimepy
2011-03-22, 07:02 PM
Ok no ones brought this up yet.

What is this, it a him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html). (See Last panel.)

Who is that? I have no clue though by armor it's obvious no one we've seen. (But that looks like Roy getting chopped in half!)

Swordpriest
2011-03-22, 07:41 PM
Wow.... I've frequented these boards for a while, and I don't think I've ever seen as many flimsy, weird, half-baked theories about a character than about the Champ. I mean, most of these are even more specious than the usual crop. What gives? :smalleek:

The Snarl? Tarquin? Thog? Thog's father? Solt Lorkyurg? The allosaurus? Girard, for God's sake? Come on, guys, if you're going to speculate wildly, at least come up with a reason or two rather than picking a name out of a hat and trumpeting it like some choice insight. Because it's not. :smallsigh:

Shale
2011-03-22, 07:45 PM
It's still more sane than "Hilgya's the Empress of Blood!"

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 07:47 PM
Wow.... I've frequented these boards for a while, and I don't think I've ever seen as many flimsy, weird, half-baked theories about a character than about the Champ. I mean, most of these are even more specious than the usual crop. What gives? :smalleek:

The Snarl? Tarquin? Thog? Thog's father? Solt Lorkyurg? The allosaurus? Girard, for God's sake? Come on, guys, if you're going to speculate wildly, at least come up with a reason or two rather than picking a name out of a hat and trumpeting it like some choice insight. Because it's not. :smallsigh:

Hey! I came up with a reason for it being Thog's father!

Swordpriest
2011-03-22, 07:53 PM
It's still more sane than "Hilgya's the Empress of Blood!"

A dead gnome spice merchant killing a stone giant with PC class levels, and ripping the head off another gladiator, is more sane than that? :smallconfused: At least Hilgya being the Empress of Blood wouldn't violate even fantasy causality to that extent ....

skim172
2011-03-22, 09:32 PM
If it is a character who's already been established, then my money's on Girard. He's roughly somewhere in the vicinity and Tarquin knows something about him that he's yet to tell anyone. If Girard was imprisoned and used for gladiatorial entertainment, that would be a secret worth keeping from Haley and Elan.

On the other hand, that would imply that Tarquin somehow knows that Roy and Belkar are with Haley and Elan. That opens a whole new can of worms.

I wouldn't rule out a character simply because the feat of ripping off someone's head is beyond them in D&D. The comic's shown a willingness to play fast and loose with the D&D rules before.

But my money's on some super-powerful enemy we've never met before. That in itself would be a dramatic conflict, even without the familiarity.

I'm more interested in what's going to happen to Gannji and Enor. I know they haven't been around much, but I'd feel bad if they ended up killing each other. They seem like relatively nice fellas.

CN the Logos
2011-03-22, 10:16 PM
This is going to be heartbreaking however it turns out. I like Gannji and Enor, and was hoping they'd get out of this mostly unscathed.

Also, my obligatory guess for the champion's identity is...

Someone we've never met before. Maybe that dude on the poster with Roy in #741. Not everything needs to be a tweeest, guys; OotS is written by Rich Burlew, not M. Night Shyamalan. If there were some logic behind any of the guesses so far, I might consider them, but everything proposed up to this point makes my willing suspension of disbelief want to tie itself up in a pretzel knot and die.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 10:17 PM
This is going to be heartbreaking however it turns out. I like Gannji and Enor, and was hoping they'd get out of this mostly unscathed.

Also, my obligatory guess for the champion's identity is...

Someone we've never met before. Maybe that dude on the poster with Roy in #741. Not everything needs to be a tweeest, guys; OotS is written by Rich Burlew, not M. Night Shyamalan. If there were some logic behind any of the guesses so far, I might consider them, but everything proposed up to this point makes my willing suspension of disbelief want to tie itself up in a pretzel knot and die.

I keep telling you, if it were Thog's father, that would explain how Nale met Thog.

glissle
2011-03-22, 10:20 PM
The argument could be made that nobody ever really sees this prisoner in solitary confinement, thus there really isn't one, and Tarquin actually fights the final battle in disguise. But I think my first argument about little to win, but much to lose still applies. Besides, somebody would have noticed that Clark Kent Tarquin always leaves when the Champ fights.

What appears to be Tarquin up there in the stands is actually an illusion by Girard, of course.

...Anyway, note that Tarquin said that Roy may be the best fighter he's seen in the arena in "some years", and the Champ has been there less than a year. So Tarquin thinks Roy can beat the Champ.

Bastian
2011-03-22, 10:50 PM
I keep telling you, if it were Thog's father, that would explain how Nale met Thog.

Erm, yes it would. As any one of other thousand possible explanations would.
Thogg's father could be an ice-cream man (well, orc) in the Empire of Blood.
That would explain why Thogg likes ice-creams so much.

From a storytelling perspective, why show him here? Thogg is not there to recognize him, and none of the Order would be able to.

CN the Logos
2011-03-22, 11:08 PM

And the reason I didn't take that theory seriously is because that is needless detail. Why would it be necessary or useful to know how a third-string antagonist met his group's Big Stupid Fighter? I might be interested in learning how Nale met Sabine (she apparently has feelings for Nale beyond simply manipulating him, and she's working for the entities who will possibly turn out to be the actual Big Bads), but there's no evidence so far that Thog will have any further impact on the plot aside from hitting things when Nale tells him to.

To be fair, it is much better than the theory that the champion is Girard, in that it only would be pointless detail as opposed to utterly nonsensical. I will admit that.

Lord_Nathanel
2011-03-23, 01:05 AM
We'll know, just not soon enough! LOL :smallbiggrin:

EmperorSarda
2011-03-24, 02:31 PM
The Champion is Jimmer Fredette (http://mit.zenfs.com/190/2011/03/0328_large.jpg)!

Roy is doomed!