PDA

View Full Version : Does a Demilich need to keep it's Soul Gems with itself?

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 07:56 AM
Obviously it can only use it's Soul Trap ability 1/day for each Gem it has with it, but say a Demilich was on a diet & only wanted to consume 2 Souls/day, could it hide the other six Soul Gems so that it had the added safety in case it was defeated? Or do they have to keep all the gems with them all the time?

Thanks,
K-B

kiryoku
2011-03-21, 08:22 AM
it says they must be part of the demilich witch to me makes them not that good unless you are downed by someone that does not know that and they sell them otherwise you are dead but you still have your normal phylactery.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 02:37 PM
it says they must be part of the demilich witch to me makes them not that good unless you are downed by someone that does not know that and they sell them otherwise you are dead but you still have your normal phylactery.

I was afraid of that. I wanted one in a box on each of the Inner Planes, as a sort of get out of jail free card.

gbprime
2011-03-21, 02:39 PM
So make a house rule. You're the DM, you can do that. Just don't make the players TOO mad. :smallcool:

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 02:41 PM
So make a house rule. You're the DM, you can do that. Just don't make the players TOO mad. :smallcool:

Actually I'm not, I'm playing one...

Marnath
2011-03-21, 02:51 PM
well, the SRD picture of the demilich has all it's teeth replaced by gems, not just the 8 it needs. Presumably that and nystul's magic aura camouflage the soulgems from anyone who might know about such things. If it was me, I'd also get my skull gold plated with like, nice thin darkwood inlays and electrum highlights so that I looked like some sort of trophy skull as opposed to just blatantly a demilich. Then I could do like in another thread a while back, and spend a century or two as a paper weight on a thieve's guild desk just for laughs.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 02:54 PM
well, the SRD picture of the demilich has all it's teeth replaced by gems, not just the 8 it needs. Presumably that and nystul's magic aura camouflage the soulgems from anyone who might know about such things. If it was me, I'd also get my skull gold plated with like, nice thin darkwood inlays and electrum highlights so that I looked like some sort of trophy skull as opposed to just blatantly a demilich. Then I could do like in another thread a while back, and spend a century or two as a paper weight on a thieve's guild desk just for laughs.

Whoever came up with that is awesome. And it's entirely in-keeping with the character. I actually might do that (worst case scenario, astral projection at will if I need to go do stuff).

gbprime
2011-03-21, 02:57 PM
Actually I'm not, I'm playing one...

:smalleek: My... what an interesting campaign you must be in.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-21, 03:10 PM
Eh. Low-epic games are not that uncommon. Those games tend strongly towards Evil parties anyway.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-21, 03:12 PM
:smalleek: My... what an interesting campaign you must be in.

I'm hoping it will be (it's PbP so I haven't actually gotten in yet, fingers crossed).

Marnath
2011-03-21, 03:13 PM
So, I was wrong. Instead of gold plating and stuff, maybe do this instead.

http://amazingdata.com/mediadata13/Image/a33a+8inA.D._cool_3un_o34beaA_weir17_a96729_Diamon d-Skull2_020090717103339343.jpg

Find the 8 that are soulgems, I dare ya! :smalltongue:

nyarlathotep
2011-03-21, 03:31 PM
Find the 8 that are soulgems, I dare ya! :smalltongue:

No fair 4 of them are on the back. :smallwink:

Milo v3
2011-03-23, 06:16 AM
Realistically they wouldn't have to be attached the the Demi-lich.

They are "supposed" to be Get-Out-of-Jail free cards. And it would be pretty obvious to destroy the gems if you battling a Floating Skull with Gems instead of teeth.

I allow Demi-liches the ability to remove their gems. They normally place them near their Phylacteries so they can use the Soul Trap power. If their to far then no Soul Trap.

Part of the difficultly with fighting liches is destroying the phylactery. When they're attached to the lich, it ruins the challenge.

Aharon
2011-03-23, 06:41 AM
There's an epic spell in Lost Empires of Faerun, I think (Aumvor's fragmented phylactery), that let's you split your phylactery. That way, you could be diet-free and still hide some of your phylacteries. Downside is that it has the line "This spell can only be cast by a lich." Might be able to develop a custom version for demiliches, though.

Draculmaulkee
2011-03-23, 06:58 AM
If I remember correctly, that spell had a duration of permanent...which means it can be dispelled.

Aharon
2011-03-23, 07:02 AM
Yes, but the targets are the objects to become the phylactery. So to dispel them, they first have to be found. Wether they find them and destroy them or find them and dispel them doesn't make such a great difference - the key is creating many and making sure they are hard to be found.

Draculmaulkee
2011-03-23, 07:18 AM
Touché :smalltongue:

Darth Stabber
2011-03-23, 10:27 AM
Downside is that it has the line "This spell can only be cast by a lich." Might be able to develop a custom version for demiliches, though.

A Demilich is a lich.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-24, 09:23 AM
There's an epic spell in Lost Empires of Faerun, I think (Aumvor's fragmented phylactery), that let's you split your phylactery. That way, you could be diet-free and still hide some of your phylacteries. Downside is that it has the line "This spell can only be cast by a lich." Might be able to develop a custom version for demiliches, though.

Champions of Ruin actually it seems. However, may I just say http://static.tsrfiles.co.uk/images/smilies/drool.gif

That is a freaking awesome spell. If only Epic Spellcasting wasn't banned :smallfrown:

(Though I suppose in the long run that might be for the best)

Darth Stabber
2011-03-24, 10:59 AM
If it was me, I'd also get my skull gold plated with like, nice thin darkwood inlays and electrum highlights so that I looked like some sort of trophy skull as opposed to just blatantly a demilich. Then I could do like in another thread a while back, and spend a century or two as a paper weight on a thieve's guild desk just for laughs.

I'm so happy that my players don't pay that close attention to the decor of the lord mayor's office when he gives them an assignment. The golden skull has been mentioned twice and they haven't caught on. (not that the players are going to take on the demilich (their lvl 4), but they would have a better clue when something starts to go down.

Aharon
2011-03-24, 04:24 PM
@Kobold-Bard
Yes, Champions of Ruin it is. IMO, epic spellcasting is ok, even a little underpowered, if you only use the published epic spells. Only if the epic spell creation process is allowed do they result in really broken power.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-24, 04:30 PM
@Kobold-Bard
Yes, Champions of Ruin it is. IMO, epic spellcasting is ok, even a little underpowered, if you only use the published epic spells. Only if the epic spell creation process is allowed do they result in really broken power.

As I said, I'm not the DM so it's not my call.

Milo v3
2011-03-24, 04:39 PM
Wait. Why don't you just use Alter Self at will and Astral Projection to appear as a Very Pale Human thousands of miles from your real Skeletal "body" and gems.

Moriato
2011-03-24, 05:34 PM
Wait. Why don't you just use Alter Self at will and Astral Projection to appear as a Very Pale Human thousands of miles from your real Skeletal "body" and gems.

Yeah, that's kind of the demilich's thing. They leave their "body" somewhere safe and astral project wherever the hell they please. Aside from that, demiliches also have a phylactery, just like a lich, and each of the soul gems also acts as a phylactery. You have to destroy all the soul gems and the phylactery to completely destroy the demilich. Damn near impossible to do without some sort of heavy-duty divination.