PDA

View Full Version : The champion is...

Pages : [1] 2

MBI
2011-03-21, 12:25 PM
I predict that the champion is is guy with the sword on panel 7 of strip 758 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html).

He looks like the sort of person who would enter gladiator matches for fun.
I may be totally wrong and the champion could be a new character but it's a possibility.

What do you guys think?

Chuckles101
2011-03-21, 12:27 PM
Man... that's a lot better than my screwed up theory..

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-21, 12:27 PM
That guy with the sword is currently running the Empire of Tears with Miron (the caster with the masked face), as seen in panel 9.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-21, 12:28 PM
I predict that the champion is is guy with the sword on panel 7 of strip 758 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html).

He looks like the sort of person who would enter gladiator matches for fun.
I may be totally wrong and the champion could be a new character but it's a possibility.

What do you guys think?

The problem is, of course, that the man with the sword is manipulating another country's leader, and is unlikely to travel back to the Empire of Blood without a very good reason.

SlayerScott
2011-03-21, 12:31 PM
The nominees are:
Girard Draketooth
Thog
O-Chul
Miko Miyazaki
Xykon
Hilgya Firehelm

Ancalagon
2011-03-21, 12:37 PM
Apart of Girard, none of them could be it - simply due to timing. 37 wins in a row means 37 weekends in a row.

Therefore, it cannot be any char we have seen in the last 37 ingame weeks (unless he is not a prisoner held in isolation, which would make not much sense).

Girard on the other hand seems not that likely as well: I would expect he is much longer in the jail than "just 37 weeks". Apart from that, we know he's more a caster than the physical guy.

Maybe it's the father of the CitD? Now THERE is a theory. ;)

martianmister
2011-03-21, 12:40 PM
The nominees are:
Girard Draketooth
Thog
O-Chul
Miko Miyazaki
Xykon
Hilgya Firehelm

You forgot the most obvious choice:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/martianmister/pregnant.jpg

Aricandor
2011-03-21, 12:47 PM
I would imagine it's someone we haven't seen in-comic throughout the Tarquin arc, by virtue of the guards speaking of keeping him/her/it in isolation. Anyone beyond that is certainly on the table, I think.

Flimsy logic and not much of it, but that's what I got. :smalltongue:

Vinyadan
2011-03-21, 12:54 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html

Last panel, the guy in armor on the poster. He REALLY looks like he could go in the arena just for fun. But he could be just some random armored guy, not even a real person. After all, the champion might be a reptilian or a bug, too.

MoonCat
2011-03-21, 01:02 PM
He's running the Empire of Tears, and has nothing to do with the Empire of Blood publicly.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-21, 01:50 PM
I like how the comic you linked to shows the guy in another country two panels after the panel you mentioned.

BadAndyMk3
2011-03-21, 01:56 PM
Girard Draketooth- I don't think he would willingly be imprisoned for this sort of thing.

Thog- My pick

O-Chul- He would have escaped by now. If not, he woudln't willingly kill people in an areana for the entertaiment of others.

Miko Miyazaki- Dind't she die?

Xykon- He woudlnt' willingly be imprisoned, and when he fought, he wouldn't bother to rip anyone's head off. Just meteor swarm. And he'd kill the crowd, just for fun.

Hilgya Firehelm- Eh.

I pick thog because if the Empire of Blood captured him, they woudl sentence him to die, menaing throw him in the arena. He's strong and a good fighter, but not smart enough to try to escape on his own.

Hardcore
2011-03-21, 01:58 PM
MitD - obviously

HappyBlanket
2011-03-21, 03:00 PM
Girard Draketooth- I don't think he would willingly be imprisoned for this sort of thing.

Thog- My pick

O-Chul- He would have escaped by now. If not, he woudln't willingly kill people in an areana for the entertaiment of others.

Miko Miyazaki- Dind't she die?

Xykon- He woudlnt' willingly be imprisoned, and when he fought, he wouldn't bother to rip anyone's head off. Just meteor swarm. And he'd kill the crowd, just for fun.

Hilgya Firehelm- Eh.

I pick thog because if the Empire of Blood captured him, they woudl sentence him to die, menaing throw him in the arena. He's strong and a good fighter, but not smart enough to try to escape on his own.

QFT. Adding though: Hilgya and Miko, putting aside that the latter is dead (with the possibility of revival parodied in the comic, and therefore double dead), are both female. The Champ is described as a "he."

Rhydeble
2011-03-21, 03:12 PM
Isn't everyone forgetting a certain mentor figure?

HerbieRAI
2011-03-21, 03:19 PM
My vote for Thog. Nale doesn't have much concern for his saftey and if he was caught he'd be left. My second guess would by Hilgya but the whole "he" thing kinda shoots that down.

Just because he's beaten 37 gladeators doesn't mean 37 weeks. There could be multipule combats in a day.

Who149
2011-03-21, 03:33 PM
My guess goes with Thog.

It would be a overly complicated evil scheme (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html)

as well as explain where those guys were this entire time.

Of course Girard will help bring us back to the main plot, which needs to happen soon- The linear guild will just make another long plot elsewhere.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-03-21, 03:37 PM
I vote for Thog too. I would say Tarquin keeps him in solitary to prevent any convoluted scheme Nale may have cooked up from coming to fruition. Tarquin may even know about the plan because of his genre saviness. And as a medium level Barbarian/Fighter, he'd make a great gladiator.

Alex Warlorn
2011-03-21, 03:44 PM
My money is that the Champion turns out to be an tribute or spoof of Kratos from God of War.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 03:44 PM
The champion is the zombie of Solt Lorkyurg!

Nah, the champion is so totally Thog's dad.

Vorynn
2011-03-21, 03:46 PM
Ah, but you are all forgetting something crucial. We already *know* who the champion is:

(snip)
The fight raged on for a century
Many lives were lost, but eventually
The champion stood, the rest saw their better
...Mr. Rogers in a blood-stained sweater. (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/ultimate+showdown/)

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-21, 03:50 PM
It could be Thog and the guy on the poster. I personally don't think it is Thog, but I would love it to be. Not just because I love Thog and it's been far too long, but because the only Roy vs. Thog fight was half a page long. With only a single attack. Showing 0 damage. Over 700 strips ago. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0064.html)

The linear guild will just make another long plot elsewhere.
The Linear Guild wants a Gate, though. Plus they're tied to the IFCC, who also have something planned for the Gates. So their return doesn't necessarily mark a detour from the main plot.

Giggling Ghast
2011-03-21, 03:52 PM
Thog has had a while to level up, and he definitely has the strength necessary to rip a man apart …

The question is, if it IS Thog, then where are Nale and Sabine?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 03:59 PM
It's totally Thog's father! It makes sense and it's a good plot twist at the same time!

Souhiro
2011-03-21, 04:13 PM
Owwww... come on! Didn't you see that movie, Gladiator?
The Champion is Tarquin himself!

Ender Wigin
2011-03-21, 04:17 PM
It's totally Thog's father! It makes sense and it's a good plot twist at the same time!

"Thog... I am your father. Join me, and together we will rule the universe as father and son."

:thog: "Yay! Does this mean Thog get ice cream now?"

"... Sure Thog, whatever..."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 04:22 PM
"Thog... I am your father. Join me, and together we will rule the universe as father and son."

:thog: "Yay! Does this mean Thog get ice cream now?"

"... Sure Thog, whatever..."

AWESOME!!!

jidasfire
2011-03-21, 04:36 PM

Of all the wild theories that have come up on this board, this one is...actually kind of reasonable. I wouldn't bet my house on it, but considering how much this current arc seems to be about parents, fathers in particular, I wouldn't bet my house against it either.

TimeWizard
2011-03-21, 04:40 PM
Let's compile what we know, shall we?

The Champion is a Male
The Champion has been in Solitary long enough to have killed almost forty challengers
The Champion has prodigious Physical Strength

So we can automatically rule out:

Hilga
Miko
Xykon
Tarquin

It is Unlikely that it would be:
Girard
Anything related to the MitD
That Guy With The Sword

The Julio Scoundrel idea is interesting but I don't see it happening. I'll withhold speculation for now.

martianmister
2011-03-21, 04:42 PM

Thog's father is what? Orc? Human?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 04:47 PM
Thog's father is what? Orc? Human?

He could easily be a half-orc, but he's even stronger if he's full orc.

Sylthia
2011-03-21, 05:44 PM
I was thinking Thog when I saw it, but it could also possibly be Nale. The ripping heads off might deter from that, but I'm not sure what the strength check on doing that against a first level commoner is.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 05:55 PM
I was thinking Thog when I saw it, but it could also possibly be Nale. The ripping heads off might deter from that, but I'm not sure what the strength check on doing that against a first level commoner is.

What about the part of the linear guild getting instantly executed if they're caught in the EoB? I totally think it's Thog's father, it would explain why Thog's working with Nale, as he would've been known to Nale.

Sylthia
2011-03-21, 07:08 PM
Getting thrown into the ring is the equivalent of being executed seeing as they usually don't last very long.

Ceryan
2011-03-21, 07:09 PM
:smallsigh:

I'm predicting Miko, as I predict any not-yet-revealed-but-alluded-to character in OOtS will be, because dammit, I want her to come back! :smallannoyed:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 07:10 PM
Getting thrown into the ring is the equivalent of being executed seeing as they usually don't last very long.

Bolded for emphasis. And the linear guild isn't weak.

The Pilgrim
2011-03-21, 07:21 PM
If the Champ bears any resemblance with the guy shown in the poster in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html)...

Then, we have a guy with a big helmet, a big axe, and spiked shoulder pads.

Reminds you about someone (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html)?

Would make sense for Tarquin to be the Champ: Cheap way for him to win XP, he needs to earn levels like anyone else and you don't earn many XP sitting comfoltably behind a throne.

Also the Emperor stepping down to fight is also a beaten trope in gladiator movies (not in "Spartacus", certainly, but Rome was still a Republic back then :smallbiggrin: )

I'm not saying that this will happen, but who knows? speculation is free.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-21, 07:24 PM
If the Champ bears any resemblance with the guy shown in the poster in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html)...

Then, we have a guy with a big helmet, a big axe, and spiked shoulder pads.

Reminds you about someone (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html)?

Would make sense for Tarquin to be the Champ: Cheap way for him to win XP, and he needs to win levels like anyone else after all.

Also the Emperor stepping down to fight is also a beaten trope in gladiator movies (not in "Spartacus", certainly, but Rome was still a Republic back then :smallbiggrin: )

I'm not saying that this will happen, but who knows? speculation is free.

Okay, first of all, Tarquin's in the stands, and he carries a sword. Second, we have no proof the guy in that picture is the champ. Third, it would make so much sense for the champ to be Thog's dad.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-03-21, 07:28 PM

I change my vote. Its totally :thog:'s father. And I say hes a full orc with absurdly high Int so there can be witty banter with :roy:.

NegativeFifteen
2011-03-21, 08:13 PM
My wild speculative guess: A random, insanely powerful, but nameless, person (Who could turn out like a Miko). Roy gets beaten down for a couple of rounds, at which point V and Haley (Though maybe not Haley, due to her paranoia about Tarquin) start sniping at the guy in loyalty to Roy. Elan starts running downstairs to help and on the way collects Durkon, and Belkar breaks out, not in loyalty to Roy, but an excuse for a good fight. It would be simple for him to kill those guards, we all know that. The whole point would lie in The Order finally fighting unified again, but showing Tarquin what the team actually looks like and how powerful, or not, they are.

IronWilliam
2011-03-21, 09:05 PM
I'm going with Thogs's father. It makes sense geographically, since if Nale started here he may have net Thog here.

PsychedelicBard
2011-03-21, 09:31 PM
The champion is...

Me.

But seriously, I vote for someone completely unrelated.

cuckadoodledoo
2011-03-21, 10:30 PM
I am predicting the Snarl to be the champion, controlled by Tarquin (or his priest).
It fits the bill isn't it. "Solidary confinement" is because it's behind the Gate by itself. Girard's Gate is somewhere in the desert, it's not hard to think that Tyranica is built around it when they found it. It explains why the Snarl have been so peaceful (according to what Redcloak said while interrogating OChu). It does fits the bill of being the strongest and easily kill PC level combatant.

EmperorSarda
2011-03-21, 11:40 PM
I am predicting the Snarl to be the champion, controlled by Tarquin (or his priest).
It fits the bill isn't it. "Solidary confinement" is because it's behind the Gate by itself. Girard's Gate is somewhere in the desert, it's not hard to think that Tyranica is built around it when they found it. It explains why the Snarl have been so peaceful (according to what Redcloak said while interrogating OChu). It does fits the bill of being the strongest and easily kill PC level combatant.

1. Girard wouldn't let them control the gate.
2. Since the cleric albino dude isn't there, or any epic wizard, how would they control it?
3. If Tarquin knew about the Snarl, then he could fathom a guess as to why Elan is looking for Girard.
4. The Snarl shreds people's very souls. He doesn't snap off heads.
5. If Tarquin could control the snarl, he'd have conquered the whole western continent by now.

ricorum
2011-03-22, 12:11 AM
Isn't everyone forgetting a certain mentor figure?

No way. That would be horrible and awesome.

blueblade
2011-03-22, 12:37 AM
I'm all for it being Thog's dad. It actually helps to explain why Thog has been in the line-up for every linear guild, and why Nale never even thinks of replacing him. Childhood sidekick, and we know Thog and Nale met very early on.

Excited now! (Giant, please don't change it if we're right!)

Kal Ironfresh
2011-03-22, 01:04 AM
I'm all for it being Thog's dad. It actually helps to explain why Thog has been in the line-up for every linear guild, and why Nale never even thinks of replacing him. Childhood sidekick, and we know Thog and Nale met very early on.

Excited now! (Giant, please don't change it if we're right!)

Nale does think of replacing him, actually. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0255.html) :smalltongue:

gadren
2011-03-22, 01:14 AM
Some people: It's Tarquin!
Other people: It's Thog's dad!

Wait, wait, wait..... wait.....
...wait...

What if Tarquin IS Thog's dad?

Bum Bummm BUMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

runekiri
2011-03-22, 02:56 AM
I'm Guessing
Roy VS Yor (AKA That guy in the armor from Greyskey City)

...Though perhaps I'm just guessing that beacuse of his name...

Souhiro
2011-03-22, 04:21 AM
I think the champion will be a monster.

It could be like a Rancor (http://www.loresdelsith.net/universo/aliens/bin/rancor02.jpg) or a Wookie.

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-22, 05:43 AM
No way. That would be horrible and awesome.

I somehow doubt Julio Scoundrel could rip a guy's head off with his bare hands, or something.

Kish
2011-03-22, 05:56 AM
Yeah, because the man behind the guard manuals is totally into a method of execution that would make Bond villains go, "Eh, I don't know, doesn't this give them a little too much chance to escape?" for people he actually considers threats.

Sr.medusa
2011-03-22, 06:29 AM
Can be Girard (Tarquin know his phisical description, fits with his irony), and Girard can be Thog father...

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-22, 06:36 AM
Can be Girard (Tarquin know his phisical description, fits with his irony), and Girard can be Thog father...

Doubt it. Thog's father is likely an Orc. It's Therkla who has a confirmed human father.

kierthos
2011-03-22, 06:50 AM
Thog's grand-father, who is a double-orc.

Jimorian
2011-03-22, 08:52 AM
My vote:
We don't even reach Roy's fight. Something happens during the Enor Gannji fight that brings the whole Empire of Blood arc to a head. I just have a hunch that these characters have been too carefully crafted for either a joke fight, or even a touching moment.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 09:09 AM
My vote:
We don't even reach Roy's fight. Something happens during the Enor Gannji fight that brings the whole Empire of Blood arc to a head. I just have a hunch that these characters have been too carefully crafted for either a joke fight, or even a touching moment.

Aw, come on!:smallfrown:

JSSheridan
2011-03-22, 09:29 AM
Doesn't matter. I'll take Mr. Flopsy in four rounds.

monomer
2011-03-22, 01:18 PM

The Champion is a Male
The Champion has been in Solitary long enough to have killed almost forty challengers

So who do we know who is very powerful, and yet has not been seen in a long time? Well, someone who fits the bill well is none other than good ol' Leeky Windstaff (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0344.html).

Now you may be asking, where is his sidekick Pompey (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0254.html)? Well, obviously he is disguised as a certain Elven Ambassador, which also explains Polozius's dislike for V, since Pompey hates all elves.

Holy_Knight
2011-03-22, 04:21 PM

The Champion is a Male

So we can automatically rule out:

Hilga
Miko
Xykon
Tarquin

It is Unlikely that it would be:
Girard
Anything related to the MitD
That Guy With The Sword

The Julio Scoundrel idea is interesting but I don't see it happening. I'll withhold speculation for now.

Yes, but you forgot what else we know:

-Girard is an epic level master of illusions.

How hard would it be for someone like that to defeat any number of opponents by magical means, while making onlookers believe he was a hulking brute who just ripped someone's head off? He could also keep disguising his own appearance so that while the current "champ" only has 37 victories, the succession of "champions" are all really him. (Just like how no matter what figureheads are on the throne, Tarquin and friends are always really in power.) And barring all that, given that some higher-level illusions can actually be partially real, the champ or champs could even simply be creations of Girard's.

So, picture this: You have this pesky fault in the fabric of reality to protect, but oh man, there's all these warring factions and empires running about all around it. The best defense is to make sure that no one finds about it in the first place, but failing that, you need to be there to stop anyone who does and tries to use it to take over the world. So what do you do? Maybe you purposely get yourself thrown into the gladiatorial arena of the large empire nearest to what you're trying to protect. You're in no real danger at your level of power--you might even be able to basically come and go as you please using magic. In the meantime, you can keep an eye on the area to make sure no one threatens the gate, and if any powerful troublemakers do show up in the area, chances are decent that they'll end up in the arena themselves at some point, where you're in the perfect position to take them down before they become a real threat.

Add to all that the fact that Tarquin claims to know who Girard is, and it's even possible that Girard is working with Tarquin, either willingly or out of necessity. Girard is actually a really good candidate for who the champion is.

SoC175
2011-03-22, 04:38 PM
I am predicting the Snarl to be the champion, controlled by Tarquin (or his priest). Except that SoD-Spoiler: the Snarl can not be controlled

Incompleat
2011-03-22, 05:28 PM
I think that I have a possibly reasonable guess:

It's Kraagor.

As an epic level barbarian, he would be easily strong enough to be the Champion of the Arena; and we do not know anything about his alignment or personality, except that he greatly valued physical strength - and that sounds compatible with him fighting in the arena.

The obvious obstacle, of course, is that he was allegedly slain by the Snarl, or possibly locked inside the gate: this theory is based on the second possibility, as well as on Vaarsuvius's familiar's description of what is inside the gate.

So Kraagor fell inside the gate, somehow survived, and emerged recently: after the destruction of Dorukan's or Lilian's Gates, perhaps. For some reason, he eventually ended up fighting in the arena of the Empire of Blood: a wild guess could be that he is employing Tarquin to seek Girard, and he is fighting in the arena as a payment for this service - this would also explain how Tarquin knows of such a secretive, powerful illusionist as him.

Any obvious flaws in this theory?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 05:32 PM
I think that I have a possibly reasonable guess:

It's Kraagor.

As an epic level barbarian, he would be easily strong enough to be the Champion of the Arena; and we do not know anything about his alignment or personality, except that he greatly valued physical strength - and that sounds compatible with him fighting in the arena.

The obvious obstacle, of course, is that he was allegedly slain by the Snarl, or possibly locked inside the gate: this theory is based on the second possibility, as well as on Vaarsuvius's familiar's description of what is inside the gate.

So Kraagor fell inside the gate, somehow survived, and emerged recently: after the destruction of Dorukan's or Lilian's Gates, perhaps. For some reason, he eventually ended up fighting in the arena of the Empire of Blood: a wild guess could be that he is employing Tarquin to seek Girard, and he is fighting in the arena as a payment for this service - this also explain how Tarquin knows of such a secretive, powerful illusionist as him.

Any obvious flaws in this theory?

Yeah, he's too powerful to keep locked up. HE'S A DAMN EPIC-LEVEL BARBARIAN! IF HE WANTED A FIGHT, HE'D TAKE DOWN THE EMPRESS OF BLOOD!

LOTRfan
2011-03-22, 05:34 PM
I like that theory. Personally, I don't think the Snarl is real, so Kraagor could've actually been in that new world this whole time.

Incompleat
2011-03-22, 05:34 PM
Yeah, he's too powerful to keep locked up. HE'S A DAMN EPIC-LEVEL BARBARIAN! IF HE WANTED A FIGHT, HE'D TAKE DOWN THE EMPRESS OF BLOOD!

Well, that counts for Girard too.

But yes, the theory only works if he is staying there of his will for some reason - for example, because he is in hiding, or because he is seeking Girard through Tarquin, or both.

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-22, 07:24 PM
I like that theory. Personally, I don't think the Snarl is real, so Kraagor could've actually been in that new world this whole time.

But if Snarl is not real... then who killed Mijung?

Also, the chances of the Champion being someone we've never seen before are just as good as it being someone we HAVE seen before.

Kal Ironfresh
2011-03-22, 07:25 PM
The champion is obviously Kazumi Kato. Because she is a baby-making, life-taking MACHINE. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0587.html)

Swordpriest
2011-03-22, 08:01 PM
Kraagor's not bad, and certainly much better than most of these far-fetched notions. ;)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 08:24 PM
Kraagor's not bad, and certainly much better than most of these far-fetched notions. ;)

Thog's father is even more likely.

LOTRfan
2011-03-22, 09:15 PM
But if Snarl is not real... then who killed Mijung?

Also, the chances of the Champion being someone we've never seen before are just as good as it being someone we HAVE seen before.

Personally, I don't think the scribble comics are 100% fact. When Blackwing looked into the tear in the fabric of the universe, a planet was shown, not the Snarl. For all we know, Mijung didn't die a horrible death (in fact, I don't even know if she is real).

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-22, 09:20 PM
Personally, I don't think the scribble comics are 100% fact. When Blackwing looked into the tear in the fabric of the universe, a planet was shown, not the Snarl. For all we know, Mijung didn't die a horrible death (in fact, I don't even know if she is real).

Even given the fact that the crayoncomics are strongly subjective, they're not meant to be discarded out of hand, especially not big things like Soon's or Redcloak's personal motivations.

In addition to that, the Dark One is a god, apparently privy to the knowledge available to the other gods. Either all the gods are lying, or they don't know what the hell is going on anymore.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 09:34 PM
Even given the fact that the crayoncomics are strongly subjective, they're not meant to be discarded out of hand, especially not big things like Soon's or Redcloak's personal motivations.

In addition to that, the Dark One is a god, apparently privy to the knowledge available to the other gods. Either all the gods are lying, or they don't know what the hell is going on anymore.
Oh yeah, definitely.

The planet is a prison within a prison. Either that, or the snarl got itself unraveled and then put back together in a pattern.

werik
2011-03-22, 09:44 PM
Why does everyone think that Thog's father is such a reasonable option? Is the Empire of Blood suddenly the retirement destination of choice for all OOTS characters? Is it a tempting selling point for adult professionals to send their aging parents to fight to death in a warm climate because they can't be bothered to take care of them? Come on, this isn't Florida. Thog himself seems like the obvious candidate if it is a character that we've seen already. It would also be a needlessly complicated plot for the Linear Guild to hatch to kill the Order. I sort of like the idea of the Elven Ambassador being V's double in the Linear Guild, though I get the sense that V has an as-of-yet undisclosed reason to explain why he is glaring at him/her.

The Kragor possibility is also interesting and that really would be a hell of a twist.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 09:47 PM
Why does everyone think that Thog's father is such a reasonable option? Is the Empire of Blood suddenly the retirement destination of choice for all OOTS characters? Is it a tempting selling point for adult professionals to send their aging parents to fight to death in a warm climate because they can't be bothered to take care of them? Come on, this isn't Florida. Thog himself seems like the obvious candidate if it is a character that we've seen already. It would also be a needlessly complicated plot for the Linear Guild to hatch to kill the Order. I sort of like the idea of the Elven Ambassador being V's double in the Linear Guild, though I get the sense that V has an as-of-yet undisclosed reason to explain why he is glaring at him/her.

The Kragor possibility is also interesting and that really would be a hell of a twist.

The reason it should be Thog's father is because it would explain how Nale met Thog.

theNater
2011-03-22, 09:50 PM
Whether they're 100% fact or not, I think we can be pretty confident the Snarl exists and has killed people. Redcloak has at least one source that is not the secret lore of the Sapphire Guard as told by Shinjo(aka the scribble comics), and he expected the Snarl to be reaching out of the rifts and consuming those nearby. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html)

The planet is a prison within a prison. Either that, or the snarl got itself unraveled and then put back together in a pattern.
Something along these lines seems feasible, as the Snarl is made of the same threads of reality the gods used to make the world in which the OOtS operates.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-22, 10:00 PM
This is so obvious I can't believe you guys haven't guessed it by now:

It's Toph from Avatar. (Yeah, I finally got into the series and feel the need to make as many references to the show as possible.)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 10:04 PM
This is so obvious I can't believe you guys haven't guessed it by now:

It's Toph from Avatar. (Yeah, I finally got into the series and feel the need to make as many references to the show as possible.)

I totally need to watch that series. But she's not strong enough to rip someone's head clean off.

LOTRfan
2011-03-22, 10:07 PM
(Yeah, I finally got into the series and feel the need to make as many references to the show as possible.)

Wow, you're late to the party. :smalltongue:

I totally need to watch that series. But she's not strong enough to rip someone's head clean off.

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you....

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-22, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you....

Does she get strength from the earth or something? But I know she could easily beat that stone giant.

LOTRfan
2011-03-22, 10:15 PM
Does she get strength from the earth or something? But I know she could easily beat that stone giant.

It was a joke. Should've added a :smalltongue: or :smallwink:, huh?

But yeah, she could easily beat the stone giant.

rekuu
2011-03-22, 11:12 PM
I love Thog and all, but I'm not sure he's close enough to a main character to get his own backstory.

BadAndyMk3
2011-03-22, 11:39 PM
Thog's father is even more likely.

But not as likely as Thog himself.

Honestly, wouldnt' having Thog be more fun and interesting? If ti was Thog's father then we'd have to spend a strip or two leanring mroe of Thog's backstory. And honestly, who cares? I like thog just fine, but I dont' care abotu his backstory. Nale saw his potential as a lackey and picked him up someplace.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-22, 11:43 PM
Wow, you're late to the party. :smalltongue:

Tell me about it. I still need to watch season three. Iroh and Zuko are the man!

Marxism
2011-03-22, 11:46 PM
it is actually a 1st level commoner except out of all of them in the world he constantly rolls max on all attacks, stats, skill checks, you name it He's rolled a 20 on it. Stone giant, he gets dodge rolls and gets 30's on a d20 yeah this guy is literally the luckiest person on earth soon he one shots Xykon using an unarmed attack and kills the snarl by sneezing Roy unfortunately gets killed by him coughing.
his ability scores are all 18's and he rolled 1d6 for them.
Seriously this guy is bad news. (hes also true neutral)

blueblade
2011-03-23, 12:20 AM
Why it isn't Thog
Thog is unlikely because given the number of fights the champion has been around, he has clearly been in the empire a fairly long time (and uninterrupted as far as we know). That certainly is not the case for Thog, who as far as we know has been out of the empire as long as Nale has (effectively the entire length of the series to date).

Some additional, but less solid evidence
Also, a stone giant would be a major challenge for Thog, who is clearly not above the level of the order, given his showings in previous fights:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/giant.htm
Even without class levels, he is CR8, with 14HD. And all the things that a rounded party can do to have the CR as low as 8, Thog simply can't do. A straight barbarian effectively fighting toe to toe against a stone giant (with a few class levels) and winning, would need to be lvl 16+, surely?

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-23, 01:31 AM
Also, a stone giant would be a major challenge for Thog, who is clearly not above the level of the order, given his showings in previous fights:
His showings in previous fights? Getting hit twice and not (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0064.html) showing any damage either time? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0070.html) Or failing all of his Will saves?

Plus, it's been around 8 months or so since we've seen him. Not that I'm advocating the idea that Thog is the Champ, but level should not be a strike against him.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-23, 05:37 AM
If Thog is the champion, it seems to me that Thog would have to die so that Roy might live. I don't think anyone here really wants to see Thog die.

Matamane
2011-03-23, 06:03 AM
Level argument is bad. If thog killed 37 decent gladiators, he likely leveled up several times. Early on, not so tough, but the challenge has gradually increased as has his level

PsychedelicBard
2011-03-23, 08:25 AM

So, what you're saying is: we've beeen following a pointless plot for more than 500 strips.

Thomas Duskwind
2011-03-23, 09:47 AM
The nominees are:
Girard Draketooth
Thog
O-Chul
Miko Miyazaki
Xykon
Hilgya Firehelm

It cant be o-chul. Hes with hinjo. Miko, well..shes dead and I doubt she would want to come back to the world of the living. Xykon, seriously? He is busy destroying things, somewhere. Hilgya, maybe..shes not dead(as far as we know). Thog, again another maybe. Thog would just fight for the fun of it! Hes a half orc fighter/barbarian. He would love it! Girard..Im not sure. I thinks it Thog

Manga Shoggoth
2011-03-23, 11:11 AM
Level argument is bad. If thog killed 37 decent gladiators, he likely leveled up several times. Early on, not so tough, but the challenge has gradually increased as has his level

This presupposes that all 37 gladiators were "decent (= sufficiently high-level) gladiators" rather than commoners. Remember Belkar and the "Sexy Shoeless God of War" pose? A whole pile of corpses and no EXP.

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-23, 11:13 AM
It cant be o-chul. Hes with hinjo. Miko, well..shes dead and I doubt she would want to come back to the world of the living. Xykon, seriously? He is busy destroying things, somewhere. Hilgya, maybe..shes not dead(as far as we know). Thog, again another maybe. Thog would just fight for the fun of it! Hes a half orc fighter/barbarian. He would love it! Girard..Im not sure. I thinks it Thog

Actually, O-Chul is with Lien. They went off on another objective.

Darth V.
2011-03-23, 11:21 AM
Thog, Definitely Thog.

MoonCat
2011-03-23, 11:50 AM
The champion isn't even going to show up, I bet. Things are going to switch up to the balcony first.

BadAndyMk3
2011-03-23, 12:37 PM
This presupposes that all 37 gladiators were "decent (= sufficiently high-level) gladiators" rather than commoners. Remember Belkar and the "Sexy Shoeless God of War" pose? A whole pile of corpses and no EXP.

Yes, but we see the champion always gets paired up against the top fighter.

I also think it would be interesting for it to be Thog because he and Elan went on a whirlwind adventure together and Elan could manipulate him from the stands.

Shyftir
2011-03-23, 01:11 PM
You are all wrong. It's The Guy With A Halberd.

He did some leveling, mastered his weapon and is now a Tripping control build with Power Attack for the finish.

MBI
2011-03-23, 02:39 PM
You Fools! You are ALL wrong!
I retract my previous statement. It is not the sword guy from Tarquin's party.
Instead, The champion is...
Fahruzi Lakshii

But what the champion doesn't know is that Elan and Tarquin switched places in strip 361 after... (small wall of text) Tarquin and Yikyik switched places in strip 44! However, this was just an illusion cast by Nale from the future. However, Future Nale stepped into the time machine at the same time as the Roy of Christmas Past , causing the two to morph together into a Lawful good fighter with a love for over-complicated plans. Yikyik was never there. As a result, Yokyok, Yukyuk, Yakyak and Therkla Thundershield were all imposters controlled by Durkon the Ganondwarf, who is the human representation of the snarl. Where the real Tarquin was when he switched places with illusionary Yikyok will be explained in strip 785 where Nale's presence will be retconed into every strip to explain his absence. The Hinjoker and Hinjonas will then team up, forming one of the Nine sides of the conflict for control over the Watergates. Unknownst to celestial Haley, Ian starshine is the Dark One and redcloak is Haley's mother. The Fourth wall then opens up where creature from the Dungeon Dimensions will invade Tyquinia and kill the Emperor of blood. This will result into a showdown with Fahruzi Lakshii which will fade to black after Elbardan and Voorsovias both lose the game.
All unhandled plot points will be listed here:
The snarl wasn't evil. It just wanted a hug.
Elan and Sabine get married and live happily ever after.
The Monster in the Dark is the gaiaphage.
Snape killed Dumbledore.
Haley's prophesy comes true as he realises he owns a horse.
Miko is not the droid you are looking for.
Belchar dies.
Thog survives the tragic events of strip 805 and becomes a famous playwright.
The entire strip was revealed to be a story written by someone called Rich Burlew.
This is my proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0
Need I say more?

Cheesy74
2011-03-23, 04:17 PM
I'd hazard a guess that Ian Starshine hasn't exactly been honest about how he's kept himself alive this long. He does get scheduled for fights - he just wins them all. The one thing I have to square this with is why he hasn't escaped.

cuckadoodledoo
2011-03-23, 05:04 PM
It's possible that the Snarl is much weaker when controlled, and manifest itself as a warrior. Beside, supposedly human are less vulnerable to it than the God, so that's why Tarquin have not been able to use it take over the world. It's possible that this gate is protected by riddles and illusion, and thus anyone who found it could have control it. Thus, I still find it sensible for the Snarl to be the champion.
The champion cannot be Ian, as he's not in solidarity.
Now that people have mentioned Girard being the illusionist, I suddenly realized that, the whole Tyranica could have been a huge illusion, or perhaps several major part of it, in order to hide the existence of the gate, to prevent anyone who does not have an army to even attempt to find the gate in the first place.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-23, 05:10 PM
It's possible that the Snarl is much weaker when controlled, and manifest itself as a warrior.

The Snarl can't be controlled.

cuckadoodledoo
2011-03-23, 05:12 PM
If the Snarl cannot be controlled, then why is Xykon try to go after gates that are not destroyed?

Kish
2011-03-23, 05:51 PM
If the Snarl cannot be controlled, then why is Xykon try to go after gates that are not destroyed?
Start of Darkness spoiler.
Because Redcloak lied to him.

Valley
2011-03-23, 07:22 PM
Either....

The Champ will be a huge, heavily armed, multi-limbed warrior from the pits of Heck..

Or an Evil Mr. Scuffy with a tiny goatee...like that Evil Spock from Star Trek.

I assume, frankly, we will get a new character. I don't see any reason to try to bring somebody back from another part of the plot.

Crisis21
2011-03-23, 10:15 PM
Girard Draketooth.

My reasoning is that we're getting pretty deep into the current book and very deep into the current side-plot. It's about time for the main plot to blindside us.

TimelordSimone
2011-03-23, 11:23 PM
So, what you're saying is: we've beeen following a pointless plot for more than 500 strips.

Or, "Perhaps we do not know everything we ought to regarding the task [The Order of the Stick] are undertaking. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html)"

veti
2011-03-23, 11:36 PM
Eureka!

The Champion isn't Girard. Or rather, he sort of is...

Tarquin is Girard. The entire Empire of Blood is in fact a massive illusion, designed to test the morality of the Order before Girard can trust them.

What? Why are you looking at me like that?

Onyavar
2011-03-24, 02:24 AM
This is your fault. You are all so obsessed with the Champ being someone we already know, so I went to the Number of Character Appearances Thread and got the list of all characters seen so far. And matched them against what we know about the Champ.

For the scientific approach, I ruled out female characters automatically (Kasumi and Miko will thus not show up). Then I gave all candidates percentages on how likely they could fulfill the roll of arena champion and the will to actually perform fights in the arena (willingly or for some long-term plan or under pressure). Then I assessed whether or not it would be a good idea of Rich's part to throw them as adversaries against Roy in the current situation. Then I grouped them accordingly.
Here is the result.

And: Yes. I assessed everyone is in the list here and imagined him in the arena fighting Roy. Incloding Durkons Pony, Eric Greenhilt, Goblin Dan, Soda and Nachos.

Ruled out: Order of the Stick and associates:
Roy Greenhilt (yes, fighting himself, why not?), Elan, Belkar Bitterleaf, Vaarsuvius, Durkon Thundershield, O-Chul, Eugene Greenhilt, Roy's Archon, Horace Greenhilt, Eric Greenhilt, ...

Ruled out: Too powerful or too hard to get to be held by EoB:
Xykon, Redcloak, Mr. Scruffy, Creature in the Darkness, O-Chul, Ancient Black Dragon, Kobold Oracle, Tiamat, Batman, Death, Dark One, Cedrik, Lee, Nero, Marduk, Tiger, Rooster, Goat, Rabbit, Dog, Rat, Monkey, Pig, Horse, Ox, Dragon, Snake, ...

Ruled out: Too high moral standards.
Hinjo, O-Chul, Thanh, Windstriker, Thor, Chief, Soon Kim, Argent, Razor, Hugin and Munin, Odin, Dorukan, Aarindarius, Kraagor, Enriqué, Planetar-Thor's receptionist, Sir Francois, ...

Ruled out: Not powerful enough:
Blackwing, Shojo, Silver, Whisper, Durkons Pony, Elans Mount, Daimyo Kubota, Mr. Jones, Mr. Phil Rodriguez, Flumphs, Solt's Donkey, Vaarsuvius' Mount, Belkar's Riding Dog, Rookie Cop, Inkyrius, Dark Bald Bandit, Dark Cop, Second Level Bandit, "Zit Boy", Vaarsuvius' Auburn-Haired Child, Vaarsuvius' Green-Haired Child, Brunchroom Barkeeper, Mouse-bag of tricks, Vaarsuvius' Green Bird, Beaver-bag of tricks, Big Green Bird at Air Sigil, Vaarsuvius' Blue Bird, Vaarsuvius' Yellow Bird, Badger-bag of tricks, Kidnapped dirt farmer, Solt Lorkyurg, "Hors D'Oeuvres", Tyrinar, Process Server's Familiar, Green Guy, Red Guy, Hordlings, Cat-bag of tricks, Gortok the Destroyer, Lokor the Chronically Insecure, Kuurkk the Anemic, Hak-Tonog the Moderately Incontinent, Hobgoblin Warrior from Strip #433 Panel, Old Man with Cryptic Musings, Palace Guard, Psychiatrist, Mr. Real Blacksmith, Dracolisk, Elderly Slave, King of Somewhere, King of Nowhere, Surviving Shark Tank Hobgoblin, Teen-Aged Goblin With Sneakers, Popcorn, Soda, Milk Dudes, Pizza, Polly, Rover, Latte (mocha), Latte (soy), Muskrat 3000, Inkeeper of destroyed inn, Ghost of Lame Monsters Past, Nachos, ...

Ruled out: Completely illogical:
Gannji, Enor, Banjo, Ian Starshine, Evisceratus, Geoff, Notseenicus, Vermillius, Ceruleaus, Arena Guard with Manual, Arena Guard with Manual's Partner, Weeping King, ...

Ruled out: Dead and not to be revived:
Samantha's Dad, Zombie Dragon, Zz'dtri, Yikyik, Yokyok, Azure City High Priest, General Chang, Adolescent Black Dragon, Death Knight, Grand Larcenist, Trigak, Blue Crewcut Sapphire Guardsman, Blue-bearded Sapphire Guardsman, Eyepatched Sapphire Guardsman, Completely Bald Sapphire Guardsman, Balding Sapphire Guardsman, Do-Ragged Sapphire Guardsman, Hobgoblin General, Goggled Sapphire Guardsman, Huecuva, Black-Haired Sapphire Guardsman, Grey-cloaked Sapphire Guardsman, White-helmeted Sapphire Guardsman, Wingfooted Sapphire Guardsman, Old Blind Pete, Kubota's Samurai, Mr. Dragon, Ted, Purple Spiky-haired Sapphire Guardsman, Blue Spike Haired Sapphire Guardsman, Blue-cloaked Sapphire Guardsman, Blue-haired Sapphire Sorcerer, Dark-Goggled Sapphire Guardsman, Navy-haired Sapphire Guardsman, Goblin who Killed Fruitpie, Mind Flayer, Ares, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Demeter, Hades, Zeus, Apollo, Buggy Lou, Dragons near barbecue sauce trap, Fruit Pie the Sorcerer, Skeletal Steed, Viking-helmed Sapphire Guardsman, Green Hag, Kodrog the Slayer, Jim, Bald Bearded Sapphire Guardsman, Eighth Level Greysky Rogue, Skullsy, ...

Not possible to totally rule out:
Dave Arneson, Gary Gygax, Frudu, Samwose, Daigo Da-, Fox News, Ganonron, Jephton the Unholy, Jirix, Malack, Booted Wight, Isamu, "Kaboom" Redaxe, Hank, Pit Fiend, chief grukgruk, shaman vurkle, gok, mungu, crong, Kilkil, Girard Draketooth, Polozius, Snarl, Hieronymous Grubwiggler, Loki, Fiendish Mammoth, Team Peregrine Commander, Miron Shewdanker, Process Server, Odysseus, Brunchroom Lizardfolk Mook, Brunchroom Human Mook, Oil Steward, Gourntonk, Acidborn Shark, Fiendish Octopus, Hydra, Goblin Dan, Green Flesh Golem, Big Bird, Bluddy, G.I. Joe, Frankenstein's Monster, Larry Gardener, Teevo, Weaker Gladiator, Captain of Empress of Blood, Blond Gladiator, Hobgoblin Cleric #2, Warthog, Purple Worm, Elderly Camel Drover, Felix the Mensch, Lizardfolk Judge, Hurt, Burnie, Bearded Gladiator, ...

Remotely thinkable:
Qarr, Tarquin, Nale, Leeky Windstaff, Leeky's Trees, Pompey, Shadowdancer, Demon-Roaches, Giggles, Reddish Lizardfolk Gladiator, Unshaven Gladiator, Gladiator Warden, Ollie, Julio Scoundrél,

Thinkable possibilities:
Thog, Bozzok, Brunchroom Warlock, Brunchroom Monk, Brunchroom Soulknife, Allosaurus

Or a totally new guy will be introduced. My money is on Thogs... grandfather!
But in fact, with SUCH a huge number of established characters, OF COURSE Rich will reuse one of them.

Lord Bingo
2011-03-24, 05:05 AM
I feel like it is time for a movie reference and I put my money on Ridley Scott's Gladiator. IF -and only IF- the champion is someone we have already met my money is on Tarquin.

1) He is self absorbed enough that he would think himself the greatest warrior in the lands.
2) As far as we know no one actually knows the real identity of the Champion.
3) Being "kept in isolation" is a great way to justify why no one sees the champion between fights and during training.

If this is the case we will see Tarquin excuse himself in the coming strip before the fight scene (obviously...). Still, I see no reason why the champion could not just be some arbitrary bad ass that we have not met earlier.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-24, 09:26 AM
I feel like it is time for a movie reference and I put my money on Ridley Scott's Gladiator. IF -and only IF- the champion is someone we have already met my money is on Tarquin.

1) He is self absorbed enough that he would think himself the greatest warrior in the lands.
2) As far as we know no one actually knows the real identity of the Champion.
3) Being "kept in isolation" is a great way to justify why no one sees the champion between fights and during training.

If this is the case we will see Tarquin excuse himself in the coming strip before the fight scene (obviously...). Still, I see no reason why the champion could not just be some arbitrary bad ass that we have not met earlier.

The movie Gladiator also involved the "champion" of the arena, who Maximus fought and then refused to kill, thus earning the title "Maximus the Merciful!" I find it more likely that Roy's battle would go similarly, if a Gladiator reference is incoming.

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-24, 09:28 AM
The movie Gladiator also involved the "champion" of the arena, who Maximus fought and then refused to kill, thus earning the title "Maximus the Merciful!" I find it more likely that Roy's battle would go similarly, if a Gladiator reference is incoming.

That champion, if I recall correctly, was a retired gladiator who reentered the arena, presumably for the money.

It's only vaguely implied in Gladiator, but there's a clear discrepancy between the slave gladiators and the paid gladiators.

Vladislav
2011-03-24, 09:39 AM

We know Malak hired bounty hunters to look for Nale. Therefore, Nale is not already imprisoned in the Empire of Blood, certainly not in the prominent position of a champion.

My vote is also on Thog. Possibly the rogue Cleric (not Rogue/Cleric) - remember, the one whom Belkar taught to solve his problems with violence ...

Dave Arneson, Gary Gygax, Frudu, Samwose, Daigo Da-, Fox News, Ganonron, Jephton the Unholy, Jirix, Malack, Booted Wight, Isamu, "Kaboom" Redaxe, Hank, Pit Fiend, chief grukgruk, shaman vurkle, gok, mungu, crong, Kilkil, Girard Draketooth, Polozius, Snarl, Hieronymous Grubwiggler, Loki, Fiendish Mammoth, Team Peregrine Commander, Miron Shewdanker, Process Server, Odysseus, Brunchroom Lizardfolk Mook, Brunchroom Human Mook, Oil Steward, Gourntonk, Acidborn Shark, Fiendish Octopus, Hydra, Goblin Dan, Green Flesh Golem, Big Bird, Bluddy, G.I. Joe, Frankenstein's Monster, Larry Gardener, Teevo, Weaker Gladiator, Captain of Empress of Blood, Blond Gladiator, Hobgoblin Cleric #2, Warthog, Purple Worm, Elderly Camel Drover, Felix the Mensch, Lizardfolk Judge, Hurt, Burnie, Bearded Gladiator, ...

Remotely thinkable:
Qarr, Tarquin, Nale, Leeky Windstaff, Leeky's Trees, Pompey, Shadowdancer, Demon-Roaches, Giggles, Reddish Lizardfolk Gladiator, Unshaven Gladiator, Gladiator Warden, Ollie, Julio Scoundrél,

Thinkable possibilities:
Thog, Bozzok, Brunchroom Warlock, Brunchroom Monk, Brunchroom Soulknife, Allosaurus
The bolded ones are impossible, because the Champion was kept in solitary long enough to be in 37 fights. Is Malack kept in solitary confinement? No. What about the brunchroom folk? Also no, they all have been free but a few days ago.

Ron Miel
2011-03-24, 12:09 PM
I'm about 98% certain that the champion is

a new character that we've never seen before.

However, on the slight offchance that I'm wrong, my backup speculation is that it will be

Belkar, older and deadlier, owing to a time travel plot that will be in a future book. The older Belkar might die in the arena, fulfilling the Oracle's prophecy, leaving current Belkar with a good few years left.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-24, 12:45 PM
This is your fault. You are all so obsessed with the Champ being someone we already know, so I went to the Number of Character Appearances Thread and got the list of all characters seen so far. And matched them against what we know about the Champ.

For the scientific approach, I ruled out female characters automatically (Kasumi and Miko will thus not show up). Then I gave all candidates percentages on how likely they could fulfill the roll of arena champion and the will to actually perform fights in the arena (willingly or for some long-term plan or under pressure). Then I assessed whether or not it would be a good idea of Rich's part to throw them as adversaries against Roy in the current situation. Then I grouped them accordingly.
Here is the result.

And: Yes. I assessed everyone is in the list here and imagined him in the arena fighting Roy. Incloding Durkons Pony, Eric Greenhilt, Goblin Dan, Soda and Nachos.

Ruled out: Order of the Stick and associates:
Roy Greenhilt (yes, fighting himself, why not?), Elan, Belkar Bitterleaf, Vaarsuvius, Durkon Thundershield, O-Chul, Eugene Greenhilt, Roy's Archon, Horace Greenhilt, Eric Greenhilt, ...

Ruled out: Too powerful or too hard to get to be held by EoB:
Xykon, Redcloak, Mr. Scruffy, Creature in the Darkness, O-Chul, Ancient Black Dragon, Kobold Oracle, Tiamat, Batman, Death, Dark One, Cedrik, Lee, Nero, Marduk, Tiger, Rooster, Goat, Rabbit, Dog, Rat, Monkey, Pig, Horse, Ox, Dragon, Snake, ...

Ruled out: Too high moral standards.
Hinjo, O-Chul, Thanh, Windstriker, Thor, Chief, Soon Kim, Argent, Razor, Hugin and Munin, Odin, Dorukan, Aarindarius, Kraagor, Enriqué, Planetar-Thor's receptionist, Sir Francois, ...

Ruled out: Not powerful enough:
Blackwing, Shojo, Silver, Whisper, Durkons Pony, Elans Mount, Daimyo Kubota, Mr. Jones, Mr. Phil Rodriguez, Flumphs, Solt's Donkey, Vaarsuvius' Mount, Belkar's Riding Dog, Rookie Cop, Inkyrius, Dark Bald Bandit, Dark Cop, Second Level Bandit, "Zit Boy", Vaarsuvius' Auburn-Haired Child, Vaarsuvius' Green-Haired Child, Brunchroom Barkeeper, Mouse-bag of tricks, Vaarsuvius' Green Bird, Beaver-bag of tricks, Big Green Bird at Air Sigil, Vaarsuvius' Blue Bird, Vaarsuvius' Yellow Bird, Badger-bag of tricks, Kidnapped dirt farmer, Solt Lorkyurg, "Hors D'Oeuvres", Tyrinar, Process Server's Familiar, Green Guy, Red Guy, Hordlings, Cat-bag of tricks, Gortok the Destroyer, Lokor the Chronically Insecure, Kuurkk the Anemic, Hak-Tonog the Moderately Incontinent, Hobgoblin Warrior from Strip #433 Panel, Old Man with Cryptic Musings, Palace Guard, Psychiatrist, Mr. Real Blacksmith, Dracolisk, Elderly Slave, King of Somewhere, King of Nowhere, Surviving Shark Tank Hobgoblin, Teen-Aged Goblin With Sneakers, Popcorn, Soda, Milk Dudes, Pizza, Polly, Rover, Latte (mocha), Latte (soy), Muskrat 3000, Inkeeper of destroyed inn, Ghost of Lame Monsters Past, Nachos, ...

Ruled out: Completely illogical:
Gannji, Enor, Banjo, Ian Starshine, Evisceratus, Geoff, Notseenicus, Vermillius, Ceruleaus, Arena Guard with Manual, Arena Guard with Manual's Partner, Weeping King, ...

Ruled out: Dead and not to be revived:
Samantha's Dad, Zombie Dragon, Zz'dtri, Yikyik, Yokyok, Azure City High Priest, General Chang, Adolescent Black Dragon, Death Knight, Grand Larcenist, Trigak, Blue Crewcut Sapphire Guardsman, Blue-bearded Sapphire Guardsman, Eyepatched Sapphire Guardsman, Completely Bald Sapphire Guardsman, Balding Sapphire Guardsman, Do-Ragged Sapphire Guardsman, Hobgoblin General, Goggled Sapphire Guardsman, Huecuva, Black-Haired Sapphire Guardsman, Grey-cloaked Sapphire Guardsman, White-helmeted Sapphire Guardsman, Wingfooted Sapphire Guardsman, Old Blind Pete, Kubota's Samurai, Mr. Dragon, Ted, Purple Spiky-haired Sapphire Guardsman, Blue Spike Haired Sapphire Guardsman, Blue-cloaked Sapphire Guardsman, Blue-haired Sapphire Sorcerer, Dark-Goggled Sapphire Guardsman, Navy-haired Sapphire Guardsman, Goblin who Killed Fruitpie, Mind Flayer, Ares, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Demeter, Hades, Zeus, Apollo, Buggy Lou, Dragons near barbecue sauce trap, Fruit Pie the Sorcerer, Skeletal Steed, Viking-helmed Sapphire Guardsman, Green Hag, Kodrog the Slayer, Jim, Bald Bearded Sapphire Guardsman, Eighth Level Greysky Rogue, Skullsy, ...

Remotely thinkable:

Thinkable possibilities:

Or a totally new guy will be introduced. My money is on Thogs... grandfather!
But in fact, with SUCH a huge number of established characters, OF COURSE Rich will reuse one of them.

You took the time to get every single NPC!? You have way too much time on your hands. And I don't think it can be Thog's grandfather, because orcs only live about 30 or 40 years.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-24, 12:49 PM
That champion, if I recall correctly, was a retired gladiator who reentered the arena, presumably for the money.

It's only vaguely implied in Gladiator, but there's a clear discrepancy between the slave gladiators and the paid gladiators.

That's right. I mean, it wouldn't be a direct correlation. But Tarquin isn't really "the emperor" either.

grimbold
2011-03-24, 01:03 PM
I'd hazard a guess that Ian Starshine hasn't exactly been honest about how he's kept himself alive this long. He does get scheduled for fights - he just wins them all. The one thing I have to square this with is why he hasn't escaped.

that would suck for roy
that would REALLY suck for roy
however with writing as good as the giant's it would be one of the most beautiful scenes to ever happen to OotS

Lurkmoar
2011-03-24, 01:12 PM
The champion is... a mystery that will be revealed in due time!

I checked, I don't think anyone used that claim yet. :smallbiggrin:

ThePhantasm
2011-03-24, 01:14 PM

You also have to square it with the fact that he isn't in SOLITARY CONFINEMENT.

Velaryon
2011-03-24, 02:24 PM
You Fools! You are ALL wrong!
I retract my previous statement. It is not the sword guy from Tarquin's party.
Instead, The champion is...
Fahruzi Lakshii

But what the champion doesn't know is that Elan and Tarquin switched places in strip 361 after... (small wall of text) Tarquin and Yikyik switched places in strip 44! However, this was just an illusion cast by Nale from the future. However, Future Nale stepped into the time machine at the same time as the Roy of Christmas Past , causing the two to morph together into a Lawful good fighter with a love for over-complicated plans. Yikyik was never there. As a result, Yokyok, Yukyuk, Yakyak and Therkla Thundershield were all imposters controlled by Durkon the Ganondwarf, who is the human representation of the snarl. Where the real Tarquin was when he switched places with illusionary Yikyok will be explained in strip 785 where Nale's presence will be retconed into every strip to explain his absence. The Hinjoker and Hinjonas will then team up, forming one of the Nine sides of the conflict for control over the Watergates. Unknownst to celestial Haley, Ian starshine is the Dark One and redcloak is Haley's mother. The Fourth wall then opens up where creature from the Dungeon Dimensions will invade Tyquinia and kill the Emperor of blood. This will result into a showdown with Fahruzi Lakshii which will fade to black after Elbardan and Voorsovias both lose the game.
All unhandled plot points will be listed here:
The snarl wasn't evil. It just wanted a hug.
Elan and Sabine get married and live happily ever after.
The Monster in the Dark is the gaiaphage.
Snape killed Dumbledore.
Haley's prophesy comes true as he realises he owns a horse.
Miko is not the droid you are looking for.
Belchar dies.
Thog survives the tragic events of strip 805 and becomes a famous playwright.
The entire strip was revealed to be a story written by someone called Rich Burlew.
This is my proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0
Need I say more?

After reading that, I feel like you stuck my brain in a blender and hit "liquefy." And that's BEFORE I clicked on the link! Congratulations, you've come up with the most insane theory I have ever seen. And I like it! :smallsmile:

EmperorSarda
2011-03-24, 02:26 PM
No! You're all wrong. Who is the one person who cannot be beat, the one person Roy would not stand a chance against?

JIMMER FREDETTE (http://mit.zenfs.com/190/2011/03/0328_large.jpg)

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-27, 01:08 AM
The bolded ones are impossible, because the Champion was kept in solitary long enough to be in 37 fights.
For that same reason, we can safely rule out every new character from the current book, and the vast majority of those from DStP too. Certainly anyone from the Greysky arc is out; that was only a few weeks ago.

And it's a raging certainty it's not Grubwiggler (DStP spoiler):
Apart from all the many reasons why it wouldn't make sense, Crystal killed him during the raid to recover Roy's body.

Belkar, older and deadlier, owing to a time travel plot that will be in a future book. The older Belkar might die in the arena, fulfilling the Oracle's prophecy, leaving current Belkar with a good few years left.
I doubt the Oracle would have been gloating so much if Belkar was actually going to live to a ripe old age and then die by going back in time. Not to mention that time travel is a fantastically lame (and usually unworkable) story element to introduce into the latter half of an epic tale.

Sir Conkey
2011-03-27, 02:23 AM
as to the "it can't be Thogs grandfather cause orcs only live 30-40 years." I'm pretty sure he would have had 2 grandfathers (I know I did), so at least one of them was probably a human

Personally I think it will be a Thog relative (father, brother, any other sucker)

martianmister
2011-03-27, 07:26 AM
New theory:

Miko's zombified body (some sort of mighty undead) is the champ. She wears a mask, so no one knows her real identity or gender. That's the reason for guards' refer to her as "he". In between chaos, she will be unmasked and kill Belkar as a act of cliche karmic death on him.

:smallamused:

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-27, 07:30 AM
New theory:

Miko's zombified body (some sort of mighty undead) is the champ. She wears a mask, so no one knows her real identity or gender. That's the reason for guards' refer to her as "he". In between chaos, she will be unmasked and kill Belkar as a act of cliche karmic death on him.

I dunno, though. Azure city is a thousand miles away from the Empire of Blood.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-27, 07:41 AM
New theory:

Are you being serious when you make these theories or are you playing a joke on us? I don't remember you making such off-the-wall theories before but good grief these are aweful.

Kal Ironfresh
2011-03-28, 06:09 PM
New theory:

But Belkar always figured he'd be killed by a paladin. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0409.html)

:smalltongue:

Wierdkid20
2011-03-28, 06:59 PM
I vote it's a halfling with a rock. Just cause it would be funny:smallamused:

martianmister
2011-03-28, 07:11 PM
But Belkar always figured he'd be killed by a paladin. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0409.html)

:smalltongue:

World is not perfect. :smallbiggrin:

Qwernt
2011-03-28, 07:30 PM
I will vote for Tarquin

Though I would like it to be MitD's father. Of course I don't think something that spawned MitD could be held by Tarquin.

Clertar
2011-03-28, 10:13 PM
The champion being Thog's father would make no sense, it's uncalled for and would only happen if Rich decided to do some lame fanservice after reading this thread xD

I think Tarquin being it could be an option. If I had to make my own guess, I'd say something really anticlimactic -like a kobold with lots of PC levels.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-29, 08:41 PM
The champion being Thog's father would make no sense, it's uncalled for and would only happen if Rich decided to do some lame fanservice after reading this thread xD

I think Tarquin being it could be an option. If I had to make my own guess, I'd say something really anticlimactic -like a kobold with lots of PC levels.

You think Tarquin's more viable than Thog's father? Explain.:smallannoyed:

redcodekevin
2011-03-29, 10:40 PM

It's more in-theme for gladiator rings. The emperor/ringmaster steps down to the arena, and is eventually killed by one of the men he keeps as slaves.

And we know that Tarquin's all in for being in-theme (except for the "dying in the hands of a slave gladiator" part, I guess)

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-29, 10:53 PM
It's more in-theme for gladiator rings. The emperor/ringmaster steps down to the arena, and is eventually killed by one of the men he keeps as slaves.

And we know that Tarquin's all in for being in-theme (except for the "dying in the hands of a slave gladiator" part, I guess)

He's also not suicidal. He may not know Roy's full capabilities in the arena.

redcodekevin
2011-03-29, 11:15 PM

Exactly. Being as genre savvy as Tarquin is, he will not fight a fight in which he does not have all corners covered. It would still be flavor, but I don't believe he will do it.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-03-29, 11:17 PM

And at the same time, we don't know Tarquin's full capabilities. Just because Elan and Nale are under-optomized doesn't mean Tarquin is.

But I don't think it would be him though. Either we would have another "Dead Roy" arc, or we wrap up Tarquin without dealing with his henchmen. Which means Tarquin wouldn't be wrapped up.

Outside of Miko, no other fighter has been as good as, let alone better than Roy.

grimbold
2011-03-30, 05:16 AM
to me there are 2 logical choices for the champ
1. random guy
this doesnt create a lot of character depth however it would be easy to write and be a simple story
2. thog
this shows where he's been all this time and allows for some killer character development.
so i vote thog

TimelordSimone
2011-03-30, 07:33 AM
The champion is a metaphor for the champion within each of us.

Holy_Knight
2011-03-30, 01:18 PM

Lol! :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-30, 01:27 PM

The champ is a wizard who uses mirror of opposition!:smallbiggrin:

And to the people who think Tarquin is more likely to be the champ than Thog's father, Tarquin has not displayed great strength.

monomer
2011-03-30, 01:45 PM
And to the people who think Tarquin is more likely to be the champ than Thog's father, Tarquin has not displayed great strength.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure Thog's father has also never displayed great strength either.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-30, 01:47 PM
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure Thog's father has also never displayed great strength either.

We've never seen Thog's father, and Thog's really strong! Thog's father is probably full orc or half-orc.

monomer
2011-03-30, 02:11 PM
We've never seen Thog's father, and Thog's really strong! Thog's father is probably full orc or half-orc.

That is my point; we have never seen Thog's father. How do we know that Thog's father isn't some wimpy human?

Roy is incredibly strong as well, but his father has never shown any signs of great strength.

Goosefeather
2011-03-30, 02:44 PM
Guuuuys, it's clearly Thog's MOTHER, wearing a girdle of femininity/masculinity...

Jay R
2011-03-30, 03:15 PM

Easy:

Does it make any sense at all? Thog's father: No Tarquin: No
Does it fit the storyline as we know it: Thog's father: No Tarquin: No
Any literary requirements met? Thog's father: No Tarquin: No

So far, tied. But:

Is he local to the arena? Thog's father: No Tarquin: yes
Is he a character in the comic strip? Thog's father: No Tarquin: yes

So yes, Tarquin is more viable than Thog's father, in the same sense that I am more likely to win the lottery if I buy a ticket than if I don't. But both ideas are still ludicrous, and I still won't win the lottery.

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-30, 10:47 PM
100% agree with the above post. Even by the Playground's standards, I don't think I've ever seen such a baseless, pointless idea gain such a following so quickly.

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-31, 12:03 AM
I got it: The champion is the player's rival. (Erm, what was his name again?) The previous champion was Lance, hence the reptilian theme going on.

What else do you think Ian was foreshadowing here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0746.html)?

100% agree with the above post. Even by the Playground's standards, I don't think I've ever seen such a baseless, pointless idea gain such a following so quickly.
I know, right? Secretly being Thog's relative is so last book. Secretly being Girard is what's in, people!

In all (somewhat) seriousness, if Thog is Roy's opposite, I like to think he comes from a line of spellcasters. The parent from that line embraced his/her heritage, while Thog rejected it, but the parent respected Thog's decision and still supported him.

EDIT: To be fair, "relative of Thog" isn't completely baseless: Thog is (presumably) from the Western Continent. There's also a point against Tarquin that doesn't apply for a non-existent character: being the champion goes against the characterization that Tarquin has chosen security over glory (in regards to his empires).

Basically, Thog's relative being champion has 0 points for or against it, whereas Tarquin being champion is in the negatives.

MoonCat
2011-03-31, 12:03 PM
The champ is a red herring, we'll never see him.

Caractacus
2011-03-31, 01:12 PM
I am really disappointed that it won't be Xykon, as I was wanting a Lando Calrissian-style scene with Tarquin saying to a horrified Elan:

"I had no choice. They arrived right before you did. I'm sorry." :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-31, 01:15 PM

Anyone remember the people who thought that the old man was Ian Starshine?

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-31, 01:17 PM

Well, Xykon is certainly strong enough. He walloped V with a boulder that was at least 8 x 5 x 3, and granite weighs 168 pounds or so per cubic foot, meaning Xykon's buffed strength score is immense.

Not to mention the fact that he snapped Lirian's neck like a twig (specifically, fast enough for her to die without actually noticing it). Probably an unarmed coup de grace, but still. Xykon's pretty damn strong.

MoonCat
2011-03-31, 01:27 PM

That wasn't baseless. Even for stick figures they looked very similar, and he was in the right area, and with Haley bringing him up again, it was already a clue that he would be involved in this arc.

ThePhantasm
2011-03-31, 01:28 PM
This is slightly off-topic, but I love the title for this thread. When I'm on the main forum page and I'm the latest poster in this thread, for example, it says "The Champion is. . ." ThePhantasm. :smallbiggrin: A minute ago the champion was SarcoPhage. . .

MoonCat
2011-03-31, 01:29 PM

That wasn't baseless. Even for stick figures they looked very similar, and he was in the right area, and with Haley bringing him up again, it was already a clue that he would be involved in this arc.

Clertar
2011-03-31, 08:02 PM

It's uncalled for and adds nothing to the story... Remember that we didn't meet Tarquin on behalf of him being Nale's father. Tarquin is in the comic strip because he's Elan's father.

Now if Thog was someone's brother (which, now that I think about it, I hope is not the case ¬¬) it would make some sense, but otherwise to me it'd look as if it came out of nowhere, really. Even with some serious lampshading (V saying "so is this the 'meet a character's lost parent' arc or what?") it would be awful :smalltongue:

Also, how would we know it's Thogs father? We'd see a human or an orc... so? :smallconfused: Would he have a name like Bogg? Would he mention his son <facepalm>?

I just don't see it happening, at all. Just like I don't see it being... Belkar's father.

To me, if it's a known character, it makes more sense that it be an ally (thus making Roy's duel not an epic fight, but a serious cul-de-sac), either that or some identifiable opponent that we've lost track of (along the lines of the MitD, although it's not going to be him), or someone not yet met that we've heard about... mystery :D

:smallwink:

JSSheridan
2011-03-31, 08:20 PM
My new theory is based on V's raving in panel 13 of 399 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html). I now say it's a Blackguard, and that Elan and Haley will help Mr. Flopsy.

Virtu
2011-03-31, 10:40 PM
My theory is based on the fact that the event poster shows an image of a figure in a helm cutting through Roy. The helmed figured resembles an armed Tarquin.

Therefore, the Champion is Tarquin.

He gets to prove his supremacy weekly, making an example of the top contenders in the arena. This also plays back to his interaction with Roy.

DBear
2011-04-01, 12:43 AM
I can't wait to see what theories people will come up with today...:smallwink:

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-01, 11:14 AM
You mean Ian Starshine, father of one of the protagonists, and someone that we've been destined to meet ever since this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html) strip came out seven years ago, and whom we also knew was imprisoned somewhere around the location of where the old gladiator was locked away? Yeah, I can't imagine why people made that connection.

If we're ever going to see Thog's father (and that's a big "if"), then it's much more likely to be in a separate prequel book than shoehorned into the middle of an unrelated arc just for the sake of it.

King of Nowhere
2011-04-01, 11:21 AM
To me, if it's a known character, it makes more sense that it be an ally (thus making Roy's duel not an epic fight, but a serious cul-de-sac), either that or some identifiable opponent that we've lost track of...

You just gave me the rigth clue:
it's reanimated MIKO!!!!!!
:smallcool:

No, I don't believe it anyway

Ron Miel
2011-04-01, 06:10 PM
You mean Ian Starshine, father of one of the protagonists, and someone that we've been destined to meet ever since this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html) strip came out seven years ago, and whom we also knew was imprisoned somewhere around the location of where the old gladiator was locked away? Yeah, I can't imagine why people made that connection.

The point is, when some people made the connection, a lot of other people dismissed the idea as very unlikely. You were one of them.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169702

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-01, 07:26 PM
The point is, when some people made the connection, a lot of other people dismissed the idea as very unlikely. You were one of them.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169702

Now that was just mean. :smallamused:

I'm still voting that it'll be an unseen character around Roy's level, despite your epic levels of zing.

mizzim
2011-04-01, 08:33 PM

I'm going with this.

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-02, 01:21 AM
:smallsigh: I knew someone would point that out as though it somehow negates what I'm saying. I thought the "old gladiator is Ian" theory unlikely, yes. I never once said it was baseless, or that it didn't make any sense. I merely pointed out that being a bearded guy in prison was not sufficient evidence. There's a big difference there - this theory has nothing going for it whatsoever.

Now that was just mean. :smallamused:
Not "mean", so much as "irrelevant". :smallwink:

TrueLazy
2011-04-04, 04:10 AM
Solitary confinement, those two words alone rule out a butt load of possiblities on the possible (known) champion. So to the people who raise Tarquin or even Ian as a possiblity of being the champion are pretty much not making any sense.

If either of those were it, then they aren't only not in solitary confinement, but also not indentified as the champion when the guards tell Roy about the champion.

If Ian was the champion, him being right in that very same jail when the question is asked by Roy, it doesn't make sense to not just point out "him there".

The Tarquin theory doesn't make much sense either, because of him simply being the head general of, well, pretty much everything. If he was the champion then it would make even less sense for the guards to not just say that their general is the champion, no reason to hold back on this info seeing it's public info.

Then to say it's Thog himself is pretty... well I am just going to say that you didn't think it through. Seeing Tarquin is really opposed to his son Nale in almost every way and seeing his intelligence/wits he will keep himself up to date about any information regarding Nale. So it wouldn't take him long to figure out that his champion would be a associate of Nale, which doesn't sound good for Thog.
Even if he doesn't know Thog is a ally of Nale, Thog himself is not one to keep his mouth shout, at all. When it's about Nale even less, so his identity will be blown to bits in a pretty damn fast time.

Let alone that I don't see Thog being the right person to pull someone's head off. Not strenght wise, but personality wise/combat wise it's not something I see Thog doing at all. Him being a (prolly) evil barbarian of some sorts doesn't mean he is fine with ripping people's heads off in any way.

Thog's father as champion, I know it's sorta funny and awesome if that would be the case, but again pretty much not making sense. As raised pretty damn well by Clertar, how would you know it's Thog's father?
Yes, it would somehow explain the childhood of Nale and Thog, and them being together to this very point, but why would we need that? Again as Clertar said (not trying to suck up peeps.. ;p), we are meeting Elan's father and getting to know Elan's background. Yes, it's Nale father too, but Nale is also just a part of Elan's background in this arc, not a active "player" which background involving Thog or Thog's background involving Nale should be told.
Also Tarquin might be opposed to Nale enough to outright kill, if not, just use the father of Thog to lure members of the Linear guild out, which isn't healthy for Thog's father.

So who could it be?
Well pretty much everyone we... haven't met so far? Seeing people right away jump to theories about who it possibly could be that they have seen/met already in the comics. Well, the biggest chance is still that the champion is someone we haven't seen/met before in the comic and isn't related in any way to any other characters in the comic.

Other then that, yes Girard could be it. With epic illusion spells/might to your disposal you can certaintly fake being a champion for a while. But this does raises the questions of the illusions that he throws up, wheter they still work with the "will disbelieve" or not, seeing his strenght. If it still works with that, then someone that has watched any of those gladiator fights should have rolled a natural 20 and looked through it, right?
Epic spells of course could most likely bypass this, but it still leaves alot of stuff to wonder how he would pull it off and why? Because he has thrown the biggest, most badass illusions spells up to cover the gate and it's location. Shouldn't it be, well, more logic to not hang around that gate so you wouldn't accidently reveal it's location because of a epic scrying part from someone else?

Sorry for the wall of text, might went a bit too far here.. :smallwink:

Ps, anyone ever considered Girard isn't, well, Girard we know? Being a strong illusion mage, it's not that hard to fake your own appearence, lie about your name etc. etc. and with this pretty much make it possible for "him" being a damn lot of people we might have met already in the comic. (just a thought)

Clertar
2011-04-04, 02:03 PM
Thog's father as champion, I know it's sorta funny and awesome if that would be the case, but again pretty much not making sense. As raised pretty damn well by Clertar, how would you know it's Thog's father?
Yes, it would somehow explain the childhood of Nale and Thog, and them being together to this very point, but why would we need that? Again as Clertar said (not trying to suck up peeps.. ;p), we are meeting Elan's father and getting to know Elan's background. Yes, it's Nale father too, but Nale is also just a part of Elan's background in this arc, not a active "player" which background involving Thog or Thog's background involving Nale should be told.

http://hispamp3.yes.fm/foros/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

I agree with your post (especially with the quotes paragraph <whistles>), but I just wanted to point out that my "Tarquin would be more likely" implied him appearing dressed up as the Champion. Still doesn't convince me though, I too suspect it's someone not yet met.

But, still, I keep having the feeling it's going to be someone we know... The equivalent of Celia appearing as the OOTS's lawyer. Can't think of any good candidates, though :smallannoyed:

grimbold
2011-04-04, 02:06 PM
isn't their a problem with the thog's father theory?
venerable age orcs are like 50 and old ones
and thog is at least 20-25
so i find it highly unlikely that thogs father is the champion

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-04, 02:11 PM
isn't their a problem with the thog's father theory?
venerable age orcs are like 50 and old ones
and thog is at least 20-25
so i find it highly unlikely that thogs father is the champion

How is Thog at least 20-25? If he's been with Nale since their days together under Tarquin, then at youngest 17-18. No kidding.

Havelock
2011-04-04, 02:25 PM
Since Tarquin not being present among the VIP's for the other 37 fights would be quite remarkable, espescially as he seems to personally have a hand in the organization of the events, illusions are highly unlikely. It's safe to assume the champ isn't Tarquin. It would entirely within the genre for Roy to fight Tarquin in the arena at some point, but not in his first fight. Tarquin wouldn't step down into the arena unless he needs to personally destroy the fighter.

Gift Jeraff
2011-04-04, 04:18 PM
Thog is listed as 16 in War & XPs, so he's 16-17 now (not that age has been all too consistent for anyone besides Roy/Haley/Elan/Nale).

TrueLazy
2011-04-04, 06:36 PM
http://hispamp3.yes.fm/foros/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

I agree with your post (especially with the quotes paragraph <whistles>), but I just wanted to point out that my "Tarquin would be more likely" implied him appearing dressed up as the Champion. Still doesn't convince me though, I too suspect it's someone not yet met.

But, still, I keep having the feeling it's going to be someone we know... The equivalent of Celia appearing as the OOTS's lawyer. Can't think of any good candidates, though :smallannoyed:

As you say, somehow there is this feeling that Giant will pull off a "O.o.. wait.. that.. that guy?" moment..
Alot of people probably have this or hope for it, and I got the feeling too.
On the other hand, champion being a completely new person means... we got a new badass baddy to worship in this comic. :smallbiggrin:

Since Tarquin not being present among the VIP's for the other 37 fights would be quite remarkable, espescially as he seems to personally have a hand in the organization of the events, illusions are highly unlikely. It's safe to assume the champ isn't Tarquin. It would entirely within the genre for Roy to fight Tarquin in the arena at some point, but not in his first fight. Tarquin wouldn't step down into the arena unless he needs to personally destroy the fighter.

Yup, yup... Tarquin won't be it, pretty damn sure about that.
See Thog and his father as a way better option actually then Tarquin and still very low chance on both of those as well.

Either way, sure it will turn out to be a damn sweet moment when the champion will be reveal, known or unknown.

As for age, yes, that isn't a problem for Thog's father in this case. Even if he is in venerable age, doesn't mean he is out for the count. Makes him just that much cooler to be so capable with a -6 on str, dex, con... :smallwink:

croaker36
2011-04-04, 07:04 PM
Thog's dad is my vote. And, he really could be the guy in the poster. Just because Thog doesn't wear armor doesn't mean his dad can't. Since the guy in the poster has an axe, Thog could have inherited this fighting weapon from him. And, Thog claims that his own axe has "sentimental value." Maybe his dad gave him an axe before he went adventuring.

Typewriter
2011-04-06, 02:41 PM
Julio Scoundrél

Genre convention demands it.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-06, 02:47 PM
The champion is... Toph. After she learns to bend metal.
Yeah, I got around to watching the series.

Clertar
2011-04-07, 08:37 AM
I for one will never accept Toph's metalbending :smallmad: Too cheesy ¬¬

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-07, 08:53 AM
I for one will never accept Toph's metalbending :smallmad: Too cheesy ¬¬

And why is it cheesy? Metal is just refined earth.

Dire Moose
2011-04-07, 08:54 AM
As you say, somehow there is this feeling that Giant will pull off a "O.o.. wait.. that.. that guy?" moment..

Wait a second. Maybe the Giant is going to make the champion a new character and then make fun of the dramatic convention that it has to be someone we know. I wouldn't put it past him.

Toofey
2011-04-07, 01:50 PM
It's uncalled for and adds nothing to the story... Remember that we didn't meet Tarquin on behalf of him being Nale's father. Tarquin is in the comic strip because he's Elan's father.

I'm sorry didn't we meed Tarquin precisely because he was looking for Nale? That kind of counts as "on behalf of him being Nale's Father." Tarquin wasn't looking for Elan, and there's no sign that he was even intersted in Elan. It just seems to me that is the exact opposite of what you're saying is the case.

TrueLazy
2011-04-07, 06:50 PM
Wait a second. Maybe the Giant is going to make the champion a new character and then make fun of the dramatic convention that it has to be someone we know. I wouldn't put it past him.

True, 784 proved that point very well.
All kind of opinions, theories, predictions... none of them were right with what Giant made happen to Gannji and Enor.

Just hope that the champion, whoever it may be (new or old), won't be defeated easily by Roy or anyone else in any way. Really want the feel of the champion being... well, a champion.
But yea, it's all speculation so far, damn the waiting game. :smallannoyed:

Clertar
2011-04-07, 08:59 PM
And why is it cheesy? Metal is just refined earth.

Yes, well, that's true and I'm glad that's not just out of the blue. But if earthbenders are allowed to bend any chemical element that's a metal or mineral, or any stuff that comes from earth... glass bending? bone bending? ¬¬

I also find it strange that not even highly powerful and experienced earthbenders, like that king, or even an avatar that was originally an earthbender like Kioshi, were able to metalbend... Also the fact that she gets awfully good at it so quickly... http://www.exisle.net/mb/public/style_emoticons/default/shrug.gif :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-07, 09:07 PM
I also find it strange that not even highly powerful and experienced earthbenders, like that king,You mean Bumi?
or even an avatar that was originally an earthbender like Kioshi, were able to metalbend... Also the fact that she gets awfully good at it so quickly... http://www.exisle.net/mb/public/style_emoticons/default/shrug.gif :smalltongue:

Well, she learned it as the need arose. It took at least a few hours to learn, and she's a very powerful earthbender.

Clertar
2011-04-07, 09:17 PM
Yup, Bumi!

Edit: well, I bet all those chained and imprisoned earthbenders could have used some metalbending too xD

Silva Stormrage
2011-04-08, 01:14 AM
Yup, Bumi!

Edit: well, I bet all those chained and imprisoned earthbenders could have used some metalbending too xD

Wasn't the reason she could learn it because she could see the earth through her feat? I always thought that the other earthbenders couldn't metalbend because they couldn't see the earth inside the metal to bend. Toph though can see each individual particle.

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-08, 02:23 AM
:smallconfused: I appear to have wandered into the Media Discussions forum by mistake. I'll let myself out.

Maquise
2011-04-08, 01:56 PM
I have my own theory about the champion. Not who he is, but what he is:

I guess that the champion is a Martial Adept, probably a Warblade. Would explain how he is so powerful.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-08, 02:07 PM
I have my own theory about the champion. Not who he is, but what he is:

I guess that the champion is a Martial Adept, probably a Warblade. Would explain how he is so powerful.

If they were using those rules, Roy would've been a warblade, or multiclassed fighter/warblade.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-08, 02:15 PM
If they were using those rules, Roy would've been a warblade, or multiclassed fighter/warblade.

Not really. His grandfather was a straight Fighter, as is Roy. Keep in mind that Vaarsuvius is a blaster wizard and Elan is a bard. The OotS isn't about optimizing.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-08, 02:40 PM
Not really. His grandfather was a straight Fighter, as is Roy. Keep in mind that Vaarsuvius is a blaster wizard and Elan is a bard. The OotS isn't about optimizing.

Well, he does fit with stone dragon, iron heart, and white raven disciplines, so it would fit. But I think OotS is only core, psionics, and obscure third party sources.

And bards are a good class, spellcasting, skills, and bardic music abilities.

Kish
2011-04-08, 03:52 PM
785 strips in, suddenly introducing the Tome of Battle seems kind of unlikely. Except perhaps for the occasional joke.

Drakonzeta
2011-04-08, 04:14 PM
The warlock in #730. Don't know what book that's from, but it's definitely not core.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-08, 04:16 PM
It's core in 4E and it comes from Complete Arcane in 3.5 (non-core)

Swordpriest
2011-04-08, 04:40 PM
Yes, but regardless, Roy's still a straight fighter. That's why he mostly sucks at doing anything useful. :smallwink:

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-08, 04:45 PM
Yes, but regardless, Roy's still a straight fighter. That's why he mostly sucks at doing anything useful. :smallwink:

:roy: Come over here and say that to my face!

Although it's tacitly admitted that V is the most powerful member of the party.

super dark33
2011-04-08, 04:51 PM
The warlock in #730. Don't know what book that's from, but it's definitely not core.

Also in one of the strips belkar says:
:belkar: i seen better fighting moves from a hexblade!

hexblade are an awufull class from anouter non-core book,Complete fighter or somthing like that...

Ron Miel
2011-04-08, 07:24 PM
The champion is ...

the guy on the poster (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-08, 09:21 PM
That's been said before.

Dire Moose
2011-04-08, 11:48 PM
Returning to the Girard idea, perhaps it's someone who knew him? There was the mention of some group of people associated with Girard's Gate in 698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html), with a mention that they would head for the largest city in the area in order to blend in.

With Tarquin's capital being pretty big, who's to say that one of them didn't end up in the area and get captured there, thrown in the arena, and eventually become champion? If Girard had associates close in level to himself, this champion could be a high-level fighter or other melee class. This would also explain how Tarquin knows about Girard.

EDIT: Looking at the map in the linked comic, I see the Gate is fairly close to the Empire of Blood, increasing the chances of one of Girard's associates showing up there.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-09, 02:11 AM

And another thing, Tsukiko has to specifically look up the orb spells before she uses Electric Orb on Haley, meaning that while Complete Arcane rules are certainly in use, a certain amount of effort has to be expended before they can be acquired.

So any spells or classes from the non-core books are not, generally, common knowledge.

Kish
2011-04-09, 08:36 AM
And another thing, Tsukiko has to specifically look up the orb spells before she uses Electric Orb on Haley, meaning that while Complete Arcane rules are certainly in use,
Given that she called them evocations and "Electric Orb," not "Orb of Electricity," I would say rather, "Given that Tome and Blood is certainly in use..."

paladinofshojo
2011-04-09, 08:59 PM
anyone think that the champion is someone who's ridiculously overpowered? Like a fighter-based epic destiny? Like the Adamantine Soldier? Eternal defender? Undying Warrior? Invincible Vanguard? Hell there are numerous others he can be if he's NOT a fighter.......

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-09, 09:06 PM
anyone think that the champion is someone who's ridiculously overpowered? Like a fighter-based epic destiny? Like the Adamantine Soldier? Eternal defender? Undying Warrior? Invincible Vanguard? Hell there are numerous others he can be if he's NOT a fighter.......

You know how O-Chul has 25+ Con?

Could just be someone with extremely high STR.

Or maybe someone who understands the grapple rules, allowing him to completely sweep the opposition because they don't understand what the hell he's doing.

paladinofshojo
2011-04-09, 09:08 PM
You know how O-Chul has 25+ Con?

Could just be someone with extremely high STR.

Or maybe someone who understands the grapple rules, allowing him to completely sweep the opposition because they don't understand what the hell he's doing.

Yeah...but it would be nice to know that Xykon isn't the only ridiculously powerful being roaming the world and killing things with impunity for the hell of it.................... :smallbiggrin:

ELC
2011-04-09, 09:19 PM
Well, he has to be high level enough to take on a Stone Giant with PC class levels. If I'm not mistaken, then I'd imagine the champion would have to be at least L14 to win that fight (or, to quote the d20 Encounter Calculator, to have an "Easy" time against if good items were readily available).

My guess? It will be a new character, and it will be a monk. Why do I say this? Because the monk class is the best class in a resource-starved environment and can feasibly do unarmed feats such as ripping another guy's head off with his bare hands. That, and the MAD of a Monk seems like it would almost match Roy's balanced array (or from what I'm getting from TVTropes.com).

Though, depending on the build up already presented, the champion could just as easily be a character we're already familiar with. Rules of Drama, or whatever Elan would say. ^_^

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-09, 09:25 PM
Roy is pretty strong even without the belt, maybe 14 or 15, and a Fighter with Improved Unarmed Strike (as some people have argued Roy does, given his defeat of Xykon) and a big STR bonus could probably do better than an equivalent level Monk with the same method of generating stats (presumably point buy for balance)

Kish
2011-04-09, 09:39 PM
Roy is pretty strong even without the belt, maybe 14 or 15, and a Fighter with Improved Unarmed Strike (as some people have argued Roy does, given his defeat of Xykon) and a big STR bonus could probably do better than an equivalent level Monk with the same method of generating stats (presumably point buy for balance)
Why are you presuming the method of stats that generated Roy is point buy?

More to the point, why are you presuming the method of stats that produced Roy (lots of high stats), Vaarsuvius (18 Intelligence and everything else is bad), Elan (18 Charisma, bad Strength, Intelligence, and Wisdom) and Haley (super-high Dexterity, not bad Intelligence, nothing overtly bad except perhaps Wisdom) is point buy?

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-09, 09:41 PM
Because I made that post without thinking, and the two ideas jumbled together.

The first idea was that Roy was pretty strong, at least 15.

The second, based on ELC's, post, presumes an even match.

There was supposed to be something about Fighters being better hth combatants than Monks generated the same way, but I think it got lost somewhere.

Kish
2011-04-10, 11:57 AM
Like a fighter-based epic destiny?
"The champion is a concept from 4ed" is competitive for Least Likely Suggestion In This Thread.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-10, 11:59 AM
"The champion is a concept from 4ed" is competitive for Least Likely Suggestion In This Thread.

Yeah, it is.

Dire Moose
2011-04-10, 12:05 PM

That would fit with my idea on him being one of Girard's high-level associates.

grimbold
2011-04-11, 08:59 AM
the new strip suggests that he is some sort of slavering abomination
so another point for the Thog theory
however it could just be some random crazy barbarian or a random crazy monster

super dark33
2011-04-11, 09:54 AM
Yes! All the poeple who were betting on poster guy won 50 nothin-dollars!

Stickit2me
2011-04-11, 10:26 AM
Let's see...

Incredibly viscous. (check)

Locked away. (check)

Nobody knows what he looks like. (check)

Sound familiar anyone?

It is another MONSTER IN THE DARK!

TrueLazy
2011-04-11, 10:29 AM
the new strip suggests that he is some sort of slavering abomination
so another point for the Thog theory
however it could just be some random crazy barbarian or a random crazy monster

Or it's just a high level character with high physical stats (mainly strength) who isn't pleased with the fact that he is in confiment and resists when given the chance.....

Nero24200
2011-04-11, 10:45 AM
Frenzied-Berserker Ubercharger?

Clertar
2011-04-11, 11:02 AM
We've been getting a lot of new, original, interesting characters in the Empire of Blood arch. I'd rather have a new character being The Champion.

Unless it's... Roy's grandfather! :smallbiggrin:

Nah, it actually is...

Sten :smallcool:

ThePhantasm
2011-04-11, 11:09 AM
Lookin' to me to be a new character, which is exciting, because that's what I wanted.

Aidjn
2011-04-11, 11:41 AM
Well, if he could beat a stone giant with class levels that'd be pretty damn impressive. I don't have books anymore, but the SRD wiki says stone giants as PCs/NPCs get:

* +16 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +8 Constitution, +2 Wisdom.
* Large size. –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
* Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
* A stone giant’s base land speed is 40 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
* Racial Hit Dice: A stone giant begins with fourteen levels of giant, which provide 14d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +10, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +9, Ref +4, and Will +4.
* Racial Skills: A stone giant’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 17 x (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Climb, Hide, Listen, and Spot. A stone giant has a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks in rocky terrain.
* Racial Feats: A stone giant’s giant levels give it five feats.
* +11 natural armor bonus.
* Special Attacks (see above): Rock throwing.
* Special Qualities (see above): Rock catching.
* Automatic Languages: Giant. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Orc.
* Favored Class: Barbarian.
* Level adjustment +4.

Which is fairly hardcore for only +4. Since we don't know what class it had we can't tell for sure, it would probably be a melee type, so Fighter or Barbarian. Since it had levels it has to have at least two, probably more. For it to be impressive it'd probably need at least four.

Unfortunately I'm not that good at statting, so someone else could do better. That should at least give us an idea on how tough the Champ is, which is fairly tough.

Giggling Ghast
2011-04-11, 04:24 PM
Did anyone notice that the champion's weapon is a battleaxe?

I'm willing to bet hard-won Internets that the champion is ...

...Thog.

ThePhantasm
2011-04-11, 04:25 PM
Did anyone notice that the champion's weapon is a battleaxe?

My money is on Thog.

What . . . how . . . I don't even . . .

I know people keep on suggesting Thog but seriously, HOW could it be Thog?!

Djibril
2011-04-11, 04:33 PM
Belkar Bitterleaf Master of Deceit :belkar:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-11, 04:35 PM
What . . . how . . . I don't even . . .

I know people keep on suggesting Thog but seriously, HOW could it be Thog?!

Exactly! People complain about it being Thog's father, but it's far more likely to be that then Thog!

TrueLazy
2011-04-11, 05:34 PM
Exactly! People complain about it being Thog's father, but it's far more likely to be that then Thog!

Agreed, and the champion even being Thog's father is a highly unlikely thing (in my eyes).
Still, everyone is allowed to assume, predict and think what they like. xD

I am still going for a new high lvl character that we haven't met before and isn't related to any other characters in the comic (like Girard).

We will just gotta wait and see who assumed right or wrong. (sooo hope Thog won't be it though :smallwink:)

RDSBrazil
2011-04-11, 06:18 PM
i think the champions is no other then the psycho paladin Miko, it would be an interesting twist.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 06:21 PM
She's dead, on a different continent, and in two pieces, man.

G-Man Graves
2011-04-11, 06:25 PM
For over a year.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 06:25 PM
There's probably some nice flowers growing where she used to be, though.

RDSBrazil
2011-04-11, 06:49 PM
sure, because is not like they can resurrect people...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-11, 06:51 PM

And the chances of that happening are...

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 06:52 PM

Considering how long she's been dead, they'd need a True Resurrection. I doubt even Redcloak can cast that, and he's probably the highest level cleric in the OotS-verse.

Dvandemon
2011-04-11, 07:03 PM

It's not like they can True Ressurect someone they don't know, on a different continent, because she definitely wants to come back and would come with them easily. :smallannoyed:

PsychoticDwarf
2011-04-11, 07:07 PM
It's Belkar

rewinn
2011-04-11, 07:15 PM
It's Belkar
It's FUTURE BELKAR ... sent back in time to warn Roy that his plan won't work - (the IPCC takes over V to use the last Gate to control the Snarl ...) - the whole bit about being an insanely dangerous Champion is just a clever plan to have some "alone time" with Roy!!!

Valley
2011-04-11, 07:37 PM
It's Belkar's Aunt Judy!

Toofey
2011-04-11, 07:54 PM
So I'm assuming I'm not the first to think it's Thog's dad.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-11, 07:57 PM

I think I thought of that. If not, I was the most fervent supporter.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 07:59 PM

Some people have suggested that it is, in fact, Thog's grandfather. I'm not sure why.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-11, 08:03 PM
Some people have suggested that it is, in fact, Thog's grandfather. I'm not sure why.

Me neither, if it were his grandfather, the champ would be venerable age category.

Amridell
2011-04-11, 08:44 PM
My views (reposted):

Anticlimax. Somehting weak, like a gobbo, or a kobold, or a yellow footed rock wallaby. However, as it turns out, he has some weird disease, curse, homebrewed/3rd party subrace, or some other really powerful combination. Knowing Rich, I'd say this is viable.

squidbreath
2011-04-11, 09:37 PM
Another vote for Aunt Judy.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 09:40 PM
My views (reposted):

Anticlimax. Somehting weak, like a gobbo, or a kobold, or a yellow footed rock wallaby. However, as it turns out, he has some weird disease, curse, homebrewed/3rd party subrace, or some other really powerful combination. Knowing Rich, I'd say this is viable.

Considering a Goblin in the OotSverse is pretty much just a green human with fangs, I don't see it would count as weaker than Roy. :smallamused:

Amridell
2011-04-11, 10:41 PM
So, what your saying is the art ruins the theory? :smallconfused:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-11, 10:43 PM
Considering a Goblin in the OotSverse is pretty much just a green human with fangs, I don't see it would count as weaker than Roy. :smallamused:

Yeah, I don't see any reason to make 'em as tall as humans, they're small sized.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 10:48 PM
So, what your saying is the art ruins the theory? :smallconfused:

I'm saying that a GoblinRoy and a HumanRoy are pretty much the same strength.

Amridell
2011-04-11, 10:53 PM
How are goblins green anyway, barring fur? Do they perform photosynthesis? Do they dress in cabbage? Do they have some ritual of adulthood where they're dyed green? Now I'm no biochemist, but I don't think this is possible.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-11, 11:05 PM
How are goblins green anyway, barring fur? Do they perform photosynthesis? Do they dress in cabbage? Do they have some ritual of adulthood where they're dyed green? Now I'm no biochemist, but I don't think this is possible.

It's the increased levels of melanin.

Clertar
2011-04-12, 12:40 AM
http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6921614/surely-this-is-due-to-my-high-melanin.jpg

Swordpriest
2011-04-12, 12:50 AM
Okay .... :smalleek:

Anyway, I would guess that it's yellow skin and black blood. Ever mixed yellow and black play-doh together? You get a really fugly green, which is kind of what I'm assuming the goblins have as their skin tone.

Just_Ice
2011-04-12, 02:21 AM
My bet is on Living Armour of some description.

Dvandemon
2011-04-12, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I don't see any reason to make 'em as tall as humans, they're small sized.

Rich is on record saying that they're easier to draw that way. Probably why Celia is medium sized (besides the fact that she is Roy's partner)

Darakonis
2011-04-12, 03:30 PM
Rich is on record saying that they're easier to draw that way. Probably why Celia is medium sized (besides the fact that she is Roy's partner)

I thought he was on record saying that they seemed more intimidating if they weren't short little pipsqueaks? I paraphrase, of course.

Peace,
-Darakonis

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-12, 03:31 PM
Probably that. There are minor size variations, though, so it's not too bad.

King of Nowhere
2011-04-12, 03:51 PM

Creating a green pigment is not particularly different from creating a pigment of a different color. Our mammal dna don't contain informations for synthesizing a green pigment. Maybe the goblin's one do.
There are several green animals anyway.

EDIT:
Back on topic, I like the idea of aunt judy.

But I think the more likely idea is that the champion is someone we never met before.