PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Low level non-AoE multitarget blast

Keld Denar
2011-03-21, 01:05 PM
So, I've been looking at my high level FS Conjourer (Ench, Evo, Abj banned), and I've noticed a dramatic issue with his spell list. He really has no way to effectively clear Mirror Images. The spell thats been used against me to clear my images seems to be Magic Missile, as it can pop up to 5 images in a single casting, and being 1st level, is easy to quicken (I have Quicken Spell). I'm looking for something I can use, preferably in Conjouration, but I'd accept Necromancy, Transmutation, Illusion, or Divination. Most of the Conjourations I've seen tend to either be AoE (which don't affect Mirror Images) or single target like Orbs. I'd rather not have to burn a 4th level slot on Shadow Evocation to replicated Magic Missile just to clean out images. I could use Black Tentacles for a similar result at the same spell level. Dispeling isn't an option, again, see banned schools.

I know my party can also do a decent job clearing them...we have a dragon (both the literal and TVTropes definition) who makes like, 9 natural attacks a round, and a ToB gish who also has some neat spiked chain tricks, but I'd rather have a simple low action cost trick that'll clear some or most of them out with little effort so that he and the others can focus on their roles...IE dealing massive amounts of damage in as short an order as possible.

Damage is irrelevant, and it can be a ranged touch, as I have a decent attack roll. I just need something to spray and pray.

Quirp
2011-03-21, 01:30 PM
Doesn´t Hail of Stone (Spell Compendium I think) do something like that? And it is conjuration and a first level spell.

Keld Denar
2011-03-21, 01:41 PM
1 round casting time means you can't easily quicken it. I have Quicken Spell, but not Rapid Spell, which would also be needed.

Furthermore, its an AoE, so it wouldn't clear Mirror Images any more than Fireball would.

Also, I do a fair bit of my quickening via Circlet of Rapid Casting, so I'd like something I could combo with that as needed. It lets me quicken 3 spells per day of 2nd level or lower for free, essentially.

arguskos
2011-03-21, 01:54 PM
Toothed Tentacle (LEoF) would let you clear out three a round if you're close to them. EDIT: Dammit, it's Evocation too. Thought it wasn't, sorry.

Thunderhead may be useful here, depending on your DM's ruling of how it works with Mirror Image (if it zaps everything, ok then, or if it just zaps one image a round), but it's Evocation.

Scorching Ray would be awesome here, but again we smack face-first into the "lolevocation" issue.

You know, you are not in great schools for brute-forcing Mirror Image. You could use divinations to just see through the illusion, like True Seeing.

EDIT: Cloud of Knives could be good here. It's a 1/round "cut down the image count" effect, and it's 2nd level.

Melf's Unicorn Arrow could also be a winner. Multiple arrows against differing targets. 3rd level though. Probably the best thing I can do for ya.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-21, 01:58 PM
Message. Any spell used to target an enemy is considered an attack, it would break an Invisibility spell to target an opponent with it, so it will destroy one image/level.

bloodtide
2011-03-21, 02:02 PM
Well, this maybe a bit obvious.....but why not use summoned creatures? You should have plenty of them, right?

Even Summon Monster I can get you a handful of creatures to attack the images. And you should have plenty of summoning enhancements, right?

Keld Denar
2011-03-21, 02:12 PM
I'm not...that kind of conjourer. All my spells are BC or disables. Not a single summoning spell in my spell book. Plus, the whole full round thing would probably get me killed or cause me to abort my spell, as I seem to be using a LOT of immediate actions lately to save my bacon (2 Greater Mirror Images, a Heart of Earth, and an Abrupt Jaunt in the current battle alone!).

Isn't there anything in Necromancy or Transmutation that would help me? Is that one energy arrow spell in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting an evocation?

Maybe I'll just consider casting Heroics to give the gish Great Cleave. Great Cleave is normally terrible, but if there is one thing it's good for, its clearing Mirror Images out!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-21, 02:18 PM
"Any successful attack against an image destroys it. An image’s AC is 10 + your size modifier + your Dex modifier. Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball)." It does not mention damage anywhere, Charm Person will destroy an image.

0-level, "Targets: One creature/level" and it doesn't have the 'harmless' tag. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/message.htm)

arguskos
2011-03-21, 02:25 PM
Isn't there anything in Necromancy or Transmutation that would help me? Is that one energy arrow spell in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting an evocation?
No, there really isn't. They don't do multi-target blasts. I guess if you can convince your DM that Whirling Blade should target every mirror image it passes by, that might work.

I still think Melf's Unicorn Arrow is your best bet.

"Any successful attack against an image destroys it. An image’s AC is 10 + your size modifier + your Dex modifier. Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball)." It does not mention damage anywhere, Charm Person will destroy an image.

0-level, "Targets: One creature/level" and it doesn't have the 'harmless' tag. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/message.htm)
...that really sounds like a terribad exploit, honestly. You've just given me a new note in my houserules doc that gives Message the harmless tag.

Keld Denar
2011-03-21, 02:42 PM
Whirling Blade is actually not a bad idea. I have a dagger, which is P/S, so its a valid target for WB, and it uses my Int as attack bonus, which is useful since I have a MASSIVE Int score. Its also not a ranged attack, so it isn't subject to the -4 penalty for firing into melee, isn't subject to SR, is friendly fire friendly, and as a 2nd level spell, fits nicely under my Circlet of Rapid Casting. It explicitly attacks every target in it's area of effect, so it would target images just fine, assuming I don't roll a 1.

I can't believe I forgot about it. Its like, one of my favorite spells. I never thought I'd actually be taking it on a non-gish character though. This is freakin staggeringly awesome! You sir, are a genius!

arguskos
2011-03-21, 03:01 PM
I can't believe I forgot about it. Its like, one of my favorite spells. I never thought I'd actually be taking it on a non-gish character though. This is freakin staggeringly awesome! You sir, are a genius!
I can't believe you forgot it either. :smalltongue:

fryplink
2011-03-21, 07:21 PM
Why does it need to be low level? This matters because, if you are a high enough level to have multiple attacks the Spectral Hand spell can deliver touch attacks if you have a source of touch spells that have a duration. Assuming you have a touch spell with the same duration you could get rid of (attacks per round)*(10*caster level) mirror images with a second level spell and a source of touch attacks. This is really only useful if your opponents are really using TONS of images.

Keld Denar
2011-03-21, 07:29 PM
Low level is important because I can quicken it easily, either normally or with my Circlet of Rapid Casting. Spectral Hand doesn't really work that well. I'd need 1 round to cast that, one round to cast Shivering Touch, and then I could still only make 2 attacks per round with it due to my BAB being only +8. Plus, I doubt the hand would last one round before someone smacks it and destroys it. The angels we are currently fighting, for example, have 5 missile Magic Missiles as at will SLAs. And those are the MINIONS...

I think I'm gonna stick with Whirling Blade. Its a great solution to the problem, conveniently attacking ALL images nicely.

fryplink
2011-03-21, 07:37 PM
Low level is important because I can quicken it easily, either normally or with my Circlet of Rapid Casting. Spectral Hand doesn't really work that well. I'd need 1 round to cast that, one round to cast Shivering Touch, and then I could still only make 2 attacks per round with it due to my BAB being only +8. Plus, I doubt the hand would last one round before someone smacks it and destroys it. The angels we are currently fighting, for example, have 5 missile Magic Missiles as at will SLAs. And those are the MINIONS...

I think I'm gonna stick with Whirling Blade. Its a great solution to the problem, conveniently attacking ALL images nicely.

Oh, ok, isn't there a metamagic feat, either in a book or home brewed that causes a spell to cast itself again a round later? Might be worth looking into for magic missile if mirror image keeps coming up on more than two opponents.

It sounds like you are best off with Whirling Blade.

Warlawk
2011-03-21, 07:45 PM
Oh, ok, isn't there a metamagic feat, either in a book or home brewed that causes a spell to cast itself again a round later? Might be worth looking into for magic missile if mirror image keeps coming up on more than two opponents.

*whispers* MM is evocation... which is a banned school.

EDIT: The metamagic you're thinking of is Repeat Spell, but it's a +3 meta and the second casting has the same target as the first, so it would not work to clear images off of more than one target.

Jarian
2011-03-21, 07:48 PM
Kaupaer's Quickblast? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a)

It's not multi-target, but it -is- autoquickened, so...

Ernir
2011-03-21, 08:44 PM
You know, I have Magic Missile. And Whirling Blade. And Greater Dispel Magic. Hell, I even have effin' Chain Lightning (:smallyuk:) if it comes to that.

So I suggest Summon Ernir. :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2011-03-21, 09:39 PM
Quickblast looks fun, but its only a single target. I can do that with a quickened Orb or something. Not bad, but would be better with something like Fell Draining attached to it, and wouldn't serve my purpose.

And yea, Ernir, I know you can clean images too, as can several of the others, but I'm trying to make sure I widen my bases. I just know its only gonna be a matter of time before Oslecamo starts using Greater Mirror Image on me, and I want to be ready...

Still, it'll be nice when we move on to other foes who DON'T get Wings of Cover as an at will SLA...

Jarian
2011-03-21, 09:40 PM
I was actually thinking that you could use the +4 spell adjustment to chain it or something, instead of quickening an orb. :smallwink:

Keld Denar
2011-03-21, 09:55 PM
Oh...snap! I do have a Lesser MM Rod of Chain Spell that I typically only use 1 charge on. Thats...a really good idea!

Darrin
2011-03-22, 10:37 AM
Scorching Ray would be awesome here, but again we smack face-first into the "lolevocation" issue.

Which is why you use splinterbolt instead. Creation (Conjuration). Assuming you're a druid, of course.

Sonic snap might be better for chaining... lower level, but a standard action instead of a swift action. Bah! Evocation.

Life bolt, maybe? Necromancy, it only does damage to undead, but all you need to dispell an image is a successful attack. Max of 5 rays at 9th level.

Threesteel (Dragons of Faerun) is transmutation, three ranged attacks with fighter BAB = CL. 3rd level spell, though.

Aha!

Ice darts (Frostburn). Creation (Conjuration). Ranged touch attack, max of 5 darts at CL 11.

Darrin
2011-03-22, 03:42 PM
Oh...snap! I do have a Lesser MM Rod of Chain Spell that I typically only use 1 charge on. Thats...a really good idea!

Chained Kaupaer's quickblast or acid splash sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure how acid splash/lesser orb works with Chain spell, though... they don't have "Target:" entries, but they do mention a single target in the description. Is that sufficient?

I was also thinking, what about caltrops? It's battlefield control/area effect (Sculptable if need be), but the caltrops make an attack roll. BAB is +0, which stinks, but the AC you need to hit is most likely 10 + Dex/Size modifier. I have no idea if a figment gets an AC bonus for shoes. On one hand, figments can't wear shoes. On the other hand, they react normally to area effects, and if your target is wearing shoes, he gets a +2 AC, so wouldn't the images act the same way?

EDIT: Found another one. Lava missile, Serpent Kingdoms p. 156. Conjuration (Creation), autohits like magic missile, max of 5 missiles at CL 10. Cleric/Druid 2, though.