PDA

View Full Version : The Rightful Heir [IC]

Malfunctioned
2011-03-21, 02:18 PM
The amount of dust in the rebel headquarters in the capital city of Vondar is staggering. Mainly because they hadn't been used in years before the new 'king' rose to power.

Stacks of unopened crates line the walls of this abandoned warehouse, many of them pushed to the sides to allow the existence of the large table you are all sat around. The head of the rebels, an old battle-scarred gnome by the name of Caribit stands on her seat, leering over the rest of you. In front of her is large map on the country, the areas currently under the new kings control marked in red, the rest in green. There is very little green to be seen.

Her voice is strangely loud and deep for such a small gnome, her grayed hair falling over her face as she shouts.
"YOU? YOU ARE THE BEST THAT THEY COULD GET US?"
She sits back down, leaning forward to keep her head visible over the table.
"So, just for the tombstones, who and what exactly are you dregs?"

The_Charlatan
2011-03-21, 03:57 PM
The sorcerer looked down the table at who he assumed would be his partners-in-crime. Although he knew not to rely on appearances, he had already decided who he did and did not like. The Gnome yelling at him, he did not like. Disdained, even.

Although he didn't particularly enjoy the way he was being spoken to, Daskar decided it to be best not to provoke the intimidating gnome-woman. Rising from his seat, he introduced himself with a deep bow and as gracious a voice as he could muster, "Daskar Thorrington, Sorcerer and Acolyte of the Church of Boccob. At your service."

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-21, 04:48 PM
Burke glared sullenly at the small figure at the end of the table. He was used to being shouted at, but usually the person doing the shouting tended to be six feet tall, green and built like a wall.
It was irksome, being insulted by someone he could have thrown through a window with little effort, but he was a little worried about the gnome. For a start, somebody with that many scars would not be a pushover, no matter how tall they where.

Secondly, he had a sneaking suspicion that she was smart.

He dropped his gaze to the table top, and started twiddling a coin between his fingers.

"I'm Burk", He mumbled. "I'm not a dreg. I'm a sneak."

Gandariel
2011-03-21, 05:24 PM
Wow, that's promising!
I'm Miles, by the way.

Miles looks quite annoyed at the tone of the gnome's voice, as he thinks of a beautiful song he could play to cheer him up... but then again, that's not really a good idea...
the flash of his tombstone "Miles Teg, he couldn't keep his f-ink mouth closed" made him chucke

CyganAngel
2011-03-21, 06:52 PM
"Tarvek," Tarvek introduces herself."Loyal Warrior of Heironus."

NineThePuma
2011-03-21, 08:03 PM
"Caribit! You've known me since I was your size!" Marcus whined, pouting at the gnome.

ghostaxe
2011-03-22, 12:35 AM
There was a decently long pause before the human next in line spoke, as if he was formulating something incredibly witty to say. After a good two minutes, Dum finally breaks the silence. "Me Dum, me male. Me not woman, not drag. Ca.. Car.. Gnome woman, you really man?"

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-22, 06:59 AM
Burkes head thumped onto the tabletop.

" Let's hope he hits faster than he thinks..." He chuckled.

Malfunctioned
2011-03-22, 07:30 PM
"You got all'a that?" She barks at a tall grey cloaked figure standing behind her, their face and features hidden in the folds, they nod almost imperceptibly.
"Good. Now I think you all know why you're here, am I right? She doesn't pause long enough for an answer. "You people, whilst certainly not our best hope, are better than the rest of those worthless peons out there. And I have a job for you."

Caribit turns around and shuffles through a low box before drawing out an old map. She points to a small X on a small forest not too far from the city, probably only about two weeks travel.
"Y'know the 'king' *spit* gets some of that power of his from the Orb he's always carryin' around, right? Well it just so happens that some of talented bookies here 'ave managed to scry up the location of something similar. Luckily for us again it seems to be shielded by some kind of magic...shield....

We can't pin point it's exact location, so you are gonna head into that forest and try and find it."

She looks down at you, a very impressive thing to do when you barely clear a table, and scowls.
"Any questions?"

The_Charlatan
2011-03-22, 07:49 PM
Daskar raised an eyebrow, "So...do we know what kind of magic shield, or what said shield does?"

Malfunctioned
2011-03-22, 08:24 PM
"As far as the bookies can tell it just hampers scrying, probably why 'his majesty' hasn't found out about it yet, we're not even sure how we managed to pick it up. The funny thing is that the shield was only made up in the last couple'v years. Whatever made it is probably still there."

ghostaxe
2011-03-22, 09:05 PM
Dum creases his brow in frustration as he tries to form a cogent sentence. "Me go find orb. Slice guards in way. Get stuff from you before me go?"

Gandariel
2011-03-23, 01:32 AM
Miles looks at Dum
Hm, hey, i like his style! brief, clear..
Anyway i guess yeah, we'll go find the orb and take it back to you. Do you have any other info that could be helpful?

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-23, 04:50 AM
Burke examines a fingernail.

"We'll need to find a township of some sort close to the forest. It's reasonable to assume that the creation of a big magical shield would have attracted the attention of the locals, and while we're at it, we could pick up some info on the wildlife we can expect."

Malfunctioned
2011-03-23, 12:19 PM
"There is one settlement nearby, Lizardfolk, they shouldn't pose a danger really, just don't upset them too much and you should get along fine. We don't know if anything has shot up in the forest itself though so I can't really guide you on that.

I think our apocathery may have some items of use for you, make sure to take a look in if you want some chance surviving.

Well?

What are you waiting for?"
She slams her fists down onto the table.
"YOU ARE DISMISSED."

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 01:01 PM
Dum stands up and starts walking out the door, but lingers a few moments to visually inspect Caribit, as if trying to satisfy his curiosity of Caribit's true gender. After determining that he does not in fact possess sufficient knowledge of gnome physiology, Dum leaves the room and heads to the apothecary.

Dum looks over the stocks before pointing to a Potion of Mage Armor and asking the receptionist. "Me can has this?"

Dum then points to a Potion of Enlarge Person. "Me can has this too?"

Gandariel
2011-03-23, 02:09 PM
Miles tries to persuade the receptionist to get as many cure light wounds (or lesser vigor) potions
Diplomacy roll:
[roll0]
It's for a good cause, no? and you don't want to get us killed..

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 04:18 PM
Dum nods. "We help. Help we help you."

Diplomacy assist:

[roll0]

NineThePuma
2011-03-23, 04:23 PM
Marcus, rather than let this continue, grabs the two by the collar.

"No, boys, we leave and come back with money. It's how the world works."

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 04:27 PM
Dum shakes his head. "Gnome drag woman said get stuff from ap.. apo... potion place. Me get potions. You no want, me take your potions too."

Dum then glowers briefly at Marcus. "No grab me. Next time punch you."

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-23, 04:28 PM
Burke chuckles.

"Five minutes and already we're starting fights? This is going to go swimmingly."

Gandariel
2011-03-23, 05:08 PM
sigh, i have a +11 and you managed to get a better roll than mine? incredible

Hey, unhand me!
we'll probably have to fight, i want a cure potion, just to be sure. you know, not all of us stay in the back row all the time

NineThePuma
2011-03-23, 05:11 PM
"And at least two of us can cast cure spells. And we have plenty of Inns to stay at. As long as we don't play up being from the resistance, we'll be fine. Or do you doubt your ability to talk your way out of a situation?"

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 05:17 PM
Dum frowns. "Cure only good when hurt. Mage Armor mades Dum not get hurt. You cast Mage Armor on Dum?

Enlarge Person make Dum hit baddies from 20 feet away. You cast Enlarge Person on Dum?"

NineThePuma
2011-03-23, 05:19 PM
"Dunno. Ask whatever mage we got assigned."

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 05:22 PM
Dum shakes his head. "You dumber than Dum. Dum ask if you cast. You no cast. So Dum get potion."

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-23, 05:24 PM
"Awww, is widdle Dum-dum afwaid of getting ouchies?"

ghostaxe
2011-03-23, 05:26 PM
Dum ignores the mocking sounds of his companions and takes the potions he wanted anyway. He also readies an action to punch (with nonlethal damage) anyone who makes another move to grab him.

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-23, 05:45 PM
Burke shrugs and turns his attention to Caribit.

"Right, you're the...big boss. What's our first move?"

The_Charlatan
2011-03-23, 09:37 PM
Daskar watched the antics of his teammates with some amuzement, but became all business once the Half-Orc brought up their next move. "Personally, I think we should search the forest, using the Lizardfolk settlement as a base and spreading out from there."

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-23, 09:53 PM
"Then by all means, let's get moving before Dum-dum starts ripping limbs off people.

Gandariel
2011-03-24, 12:50 AM
Hmph.
ok, let's go. but that's only because i'm kinda afraid there will be some bloodshed if we stay here any longer..

wow, man, what a team!

ghostaxe
2011-03-24, 01:06 AM
Dum turns to Miles and smiles toothily. "Dum know how to limit strength, no shed blood. But no worry, Miles, Dum like you. No punch you."

Gandariel
2011-03-24, 04:38 PM
ok, i guess the group decides to go to the lizardfolk village... how far is it?

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-24, 07:29 PM
" Can we afford horses? Wait...can any of you even ride a horse?"

CyganAngel
2011-03-25, 01:15 AM
"I can ride a horse," Tarvek frowns. "But we do not own one."

Gandariel
2011-03-25, 01:32 AM
hmm, i guess they could give one to us if we asked, but i for myself am not good at riding..

And, actually, i don't particularly enjoy speaking to that gnome again..

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-25, 07:15 AM
"Yes, yes, we are all sorely tempted to pick up our glorious leader and throw her through a wall. But until we have overthrown this bastard of a king, it'd probably be best to make the best use of whatever aid we can get."

Malfunctioned
2011-03-25, 05:13 PM
Another small figure approaches, buried under a large pile of potions that you ordered. It speaks in a clearly feminine voice, Gnomish but nothing like the coarse sharpness of the rebel leader.

"So you're the new guys, huh? I'm Elaina, I would offer my hand but they seem to be a little full at the moment. This is what you guys requested, right?" She carefully places the pile on the floor and unfurls a small scroll from her pocket. The gnome isn't unnattractive, but certainly is trying to look her best, as her blonde crewcut shows.
"Mage Armour, Potion, 1. Enlarge Person, Potion, 1. Cure Light Wounds, Potion, 4. And these are compliments of Carabit."
Elaina points to a small group of dark red wooden boxes, one for each member of the group.

NineThePuma
2011-03-25, 05:28 PM
"Last time Carabit gave me a present, it exploded..." Marcus looks at the box warily.

Malfunctioned
2011-03-25, 05:34 PM
"Don't worry about any explosion this time. It's a Home-Jump ring." She opens one box revealing a silvery ring with a small, clear blue gem in the centre.
"You press down on the gem, it easily shatters and then the magic will bring you straight back to here. It's one-use only so be careful."

ghostaxe
2011-03-25, 06:07 PM
Dum takes his potions (Mage Armor and Enlarge Person) and his ring. "Dum thank you. Dum like ring, may save life."

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-25, 06:17 PM
Burke looks thoughtfully at the ring.

"These could certainly come in handy. Maybe the grumpy little battleaxe isn't so bad, after all."

NineThePuma
2011-03-25, 06:20 PM
"I suppose that means don't punch anyone while you have it on..." Marcus is quick to hide it somewhere on his person.

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-25, 06:37 PM
"My gods...That would be somewhat amusing...but I think I may have a better idea..."

The_Charlatan
2011-03-25, 07:10 PM
Daskar inspects the ring before gently pushing it onto his finger. "You have my thanks, I'm sure these will be incredibly useful sometime in the near future. Incidentally, shouldn't we be getting a move on? Every hour wasted is an hour the 'king' could find out about the orb."

Gandariel
2011-03-26, 02:40 AM
Miles takes his ring and observes it before wearing it
nice, this will surely be useful.. and.. i guess you don't have it in another color? Pff, i'll take it anyway.. it's surely worth saving my life..
So, i guess we can depart..

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-26, 03:27 PM
" The sooner, the better..."

Burke stares at his companions for a few seconds, then opens the door steps outside and gestures towards the horizon.

"Whenever you're ready..."

Malfunctioned
2011-03-29, 03:57 PM
"The village is about a week and half away but you can rest there, just as long as you keep on the good side of those lizards, and then the journey into the forest should only take about three more days. Good luck."

Luckily the warehouse is on the outskirts of the city and dawn is just breaking, at the moment the forest is nothing but a very small smudge on the horizon and even that isn't too clear. A large river cuts its way through the landscape, rolling hills covering the rest, the sun is just rising and peeking it's way through the soft white clouds, flocks of birds fly overhead as well as chirping from the several scattered trees and bushes. Far in the west rise the Grifhorn Mountains and a chill breeze from their direction blows past you. At your feet begins a worn and dusty path.

Gandariel
2011-03-30, 08:00 AM
a week and a half? Wow, kind of.. further than i thought.. but i guess we'll never get there if we don't start walking... let's go, i'll sing some of my world-famous songs to cheer our spirits and make this week look like a minute!

Mr Shadyface
2011-03-30, 09:14 AM
Burke sets off down the dusty track after the bard.

"Speaking of which, I don't suppose you happen to have a tissue or something about your person, Miles?"

The_Charlatan
2011-03-30, 04:07 PM
Heaving a sigh, Daskar stepped out of the door and walked along the path toward their destination. He called back to his teammates, "Come on! Following the footsteps of heroes never lead to the safe and grey road!"