PDA

View Full Version : Celerity vs Celerity

prufock
2011-03-21, 02:50 PM
I'm unclear on how two immediate actions interact. Say you have 2 wizards. Wizard A wins initiative, starts casting a spell. Wizard B casts Celerity as an immediate action. Wizard A then casts Celerity.

Does Wizard A act before B? I guess the real question is: Can immediate actions be interrupted by other immediate actions?

Can immediate actions interrupt free actions? After all "Free actions don’t take any time at all."

Tyndmyr
2011-03-21, 02:53 PM
The second to cast wins.

Zeful
2011-03-21, 03:03 PM
I'm unclear on how two immediate actions interact. Say you have 2 wizards. Wizard A wins initiative, starts casting a spell. Wizard B casts Celerity as an immediate action. Wizard A then casts Celerity.

Does Wizard A act before B? I guess the real question is: Can immediate actions be interrupted by other immediate actions?

Can immediate actions interrupt free actions? After all "Free actions don’t take any time at all."

Simple notice on the interaction between special action (swift, immediate and Free).

Does the ability causing the action state it places itself before other actions (See: Contingency, Readied Actions)? If not than normal ordering applies.

In your example Wizard A get his Celerity action, then Wizard B, then actions return to normal.

Cog
2011-03-21, 03:08 PM
That's there, but elsewhere is:
Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.
The best resolution of these two statements is that free actions take some amount of time, but it's so small that it's insignificant in terms of the action economy - you don't spend any of your action pool on performing them, so there's no cost.

Kamai
2011-03-21, 03:08 PM
Silly question, is this even possible by the rules? I thought you couldn't take immediate actions during your turn. I know the situation could be done in other ways to be legitimate, I'm just curious.

prufock
2011-03-21, 03:13 PM
Silly question, is this even possible by the rules? I thought you couldn't take immediate actions during your turn. I know the situation could be done in other ways to be legitimate, I'm just curious.

An immediate action on your turn is the same as a swift action. In fact, using an immediate action when it ISN'T your turn uses up your swift action on your next turn.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the replies. It makes sense as you all seem to agree.

Douglas
2011-03-21, 03:14 PM
Immediate actions taken during your turn consume your current turn's swift action instead of the next turn's.

Celerity states that it works like a readied action, and readied actions state that they occur before the triggering action. Thus, the second wizard to cast Celerity gets his bonus action first. Wizard A takes his Celerity action, then Wizard B takes his, then Wizard A's turn resumes - but he's dazed from Celerity so unless he's got a countermeasure for that his turn ends without him doing anything more.

Wizard B would not normally be able to cast Celerity at all in this scenario, however, as he would be flat-footed and immediate actions cannot be taken while flat-footed. The usual way around this is Foresight, but that requires rather high level casting ability.