PDA

View Full Version : The Best Game of D&D You've Ever Played

Zolkabro
2011-03-21, 04:18 PM
I thought having a thread on this subject would spark some interesting discussin, so here it is!
In this thread write about the best game of D&D you have ever played. Describe your character, other peoples characters, the plot, what made it the best, etc.

To start us off, my best ever game was a game of the little know FD&D, Flawed Dungeons and Dragons, where all the characters have flaws and disabilities that make the game more of a challenge. The game I played was a hardcore version of this. We all have ridiculous disabilities which made playing much harder, but great fun.

I was a caster who could only cast cantrips. The DM and I worked out a class where I get new cantrips from various different classes as I level up.

The leader of our party was Pyrus the Pyrophobic Pyromancer Pixie. He was a Pyromancer, but he was terrified of fire. Every time he rolled a d20 for hit with a fire attack, the roll would double as an intimidate check against himself. This was the funniest disability in the game, there were so many times when it put us in fits of laughter. He was great roleplayer, which made it even funnier. Many a time he would wipe out a big band of enemies, and then wet himself and run away screaming.

We had a bard with no hands and no tongue, so he couldn't sing or play instruments. He had instruments secured to his body, and he had to find ways to use the environment to play it, and God help him if the instrument went out of tune.

We also had a dwarven fighter who wasn't allowed weapons or armour. He had to use feats and obscure skills to survive. It always makes for a good game when a flaw makes the character the complete opposite of the steryotype. Dwarves love heavy armour. Not this one! A fighter's entire class is centred around having a good weapon. Not this one!

And there was someone else, but I can't quite remember. It'll come back to me, and I'll edit it in when it does.

Anyway, discuss and enjoy this thread!

onthetown
2011-03-21, 06:24 PM
The best session I ever had happened years ago, but it extends into present day. Warning: Wall 'o text, but I can't help but be thorough with how awesome this game was. :smalltongue:

Three years ago, just a couple of years into our D&D experience, we were only at the beginning of a new campaign. It had that really fresh feeling where the characters are still all getting to know each other and everything is still just kicking off the ground. Up until then, our gameplay had been fairly "virgin", PG-13, whatever you want to call it. Untainted. Yet to be introduced to the BoVD.

It was (and still is, actually -- it's turning into something a bit more generational, but I'll get to that in a bit) a solo campaign. Lots of DMPCs and lots of my own characters to play. The characters partaking in this session are the DM's half-drow fighter, half-elf wizard, human druid, and warforged barbarian; and my own human ranger, human bard (they're sisters), and elven cleric. (I always choose the assortment that's going to be adventuring for the session, so no, he didn't force more of his own characters in than I wanted).

Backstory on the bard: She had a bit of a run-in with a celestial and ended up acquiring wings and a penchant for healing spells. She can hide her wings if she wants, but prefers to keep them in the open because she doesn't like the feeling. She'll only hide them if absolutely necessary.

She probably should have hidden them for this session.

It starts off on the roof of the keep we've claimed. My ranger, "Colt" (it is a female character, the name is just something I liked) is with the DM's druid, Aloak, just hanging out and enjoying the fresh air. They see a wagon approaching from the nearby city, so Colt heads down to check it out because she's more or less the unofficial leader at this point. There's a very strange elf on the wagon who calls himself Sangurd. He's really freaking creepy -- shaved head, all sorts of gadgets and metal pieces attached to him, and more or less just gives off a really bad vibe. Sangurd claims he just needs a place to stay for a bit. Colt, against her better judgement, lets him. One night won't hurt.

It's at this point that Sangurd spots Melodie, my bard (the first of a long line of bards to be named after musical terms), hanging around with the DM's wizard, Croaeth, outside. Her wings aren't hidden, and he's interested in studying them a little too zealously. She sort of tolerates it, but gets freaked out and decides to go inside. Croaeth goes with her, since they're sort of an item at this point (but more like awkward teenagers). Sangurd drops the subject, and Colt shows him to an empty room.

Later on, once everybody is sufficiently creeped out by the guy and I'm starting to regret biting on that particular plot hook, Sangurd finds Melodie in the hallway and starts on about her wings again. She humours him again for a little bit, because she's still young and shy and doesn't really handle social situations that well, and again finds an excuse to leave. And when I mean finds an excuse, I mean she was pulled away to another area by the power of her player -- I was seriously getting freaked out about this guy, because the DM was doing an excellent job of portraying him.

At this point, Colt (and myself) is just thinking, "Alright, one night. We can get through this. Just twelve more hours and I can get rid of him and say that I was still good enough not to turn him away."

That night, Croaeth and Melodie are sleeping in Melodie's room. As they sleep, I fail a Listen (or Perception, whatever sounds more appropriate for this). The door opens. Sangurd comes in, casts a Sleep spell on Croaeth -- to which both of us forget that he's a half-elf and it shouldn't work, but I was too caught up in the game at that point to care -- and Sangurd grabs Melodie. She wakes up, screams, but Croey can't hear her. Sangurd is, apparently, planning to kidnap Melodie to use her wings as part of a ritual, and also her blood because she's so pure and innocent and all that Mary Sue crap. Well, screw that. She grabs her mandolin and smashes him over the head with it and tries to make a run for it, but he snatches her anyway and disappears.

The next morning, everybody realizes that Melodie is gone. Croaeth woke up to a trashed room with sheet music and shards of a mandolin strewn about, and Colt can't find her baby sister anywhere. They receive a letter from Sangurd, who informs them that they have 24 hours to find him before he starts the experiments and ensuing ritual.

I forget how we managed to find him, but during the search we switched back and forth between the party and Sangurd's lair. It really added to the tension, and I was finally introduced to the BoVD. The game was no longer PG-13.

Finally, we make it to his little dungeon to find out that he's already started the experiments, because he was too impatient to wait for us. A huge battle played out; we managed to rescue Melodie, destroy Sangurd, and found out that there was some sort of taint that had infected him and thus caused him to do all that. Well, no matter. It was all over.

But it didn't stop there.

I begged my DM to bring back Sangurd. I loved the elf. It was the best villain he had ever come up then with and I loved the atmosphere of the session. Still, the DM persisted and said no. Sangurd would not be coming back. Eventually, I gave up. I started to forget about him.

Years later -- and I do mean years, as in just last year -- we're well into another campaign, around the middle of it. It's the previous characters' children, and they're saving the world and tying up some loose ends and whatnot. The villains of the story had a weird taint that was making them screw around and try to destroy everything, and they were two of four "tiers" that would unlock a monster who would kill people and stuff.

It's nighttime. We're awoken suddenly by a blast of arcana outside, and somebody is going around reigning destruction on the keep and surrounding area. Our new characters run out to find, you guessed it -- a bald elf with all sorts of gadgets and metal accessories attached to him, killing people.

Sangurd was back, introduced as tier three of four, and we spent the rest of the campaign working against him and his fellows to stop the world from being destroyed.

The fourth tier? My LE Wizard of High Sorcery that I talk so much about, Soehys -- Melodie and Croaeth's daughter, born with a tiny bit of that something special that made the other three tiers, probably from the way that Sangurd had interacted with her mother. This gave her a bit of an inside view of what was going on, especially when she joined forces with them solely to find out how exactly she would be able to prevent herself from unlocking the final tier.

The DM watched me over the years and was gauging how much interest there was in Sangurd, and I think even making sure that I had almost forgotten about him before bringing him back in. He tied up two campaigns very nicely.

*exhales*

Okay... I think I'm done. :smalltongue:

Firechanter
2011-03-21, 07:57 PM
My best D&D experience was actually at a Con about 3 years ago. Some people had prepared a mega-dungeon, with all the props custom-cast and painted; I later learned the preparation alone (i.e. to make all the pieces) took 3 months. There were 2 DMs (both middle-aged men) and some 10-12 players.

It was "Core-mainly" (i.e. not too many other books were present), and we got to create 3rd-level characters with a very generous creation method.
My character was a) the only Human and b) the only Cleric. My then-girlfriend also played, she rolled a Halfling Rogue (she always plays Rogues). Most other players picked Elves (usually Rangers) and Dwarves (mostly Fighters). I don't think there was an arcane caster.

Without going into too much detail here - it was a 12 hour run which took us from level 3 to 5 - it was a typical story of "find the MacGuffin to thwart the evil force rising". The MacGuffins were actually music, parts of a melody that had to be played at the right time. The sub-dungeons were differently themed and had some nice special tricks in them. In the end we had to skip the last dungeon and cut right to the BBEG because it was 5am or something and everyone was getting fatigued.

The DMs did a fine job, too, they took care that everyone got their spotlight and could play out their key abilities.

Actually, my ex and I hooked up with one of the DMs and a regular group came of it, with 3 other players who had not been at the con. The campaign was also pretty cool at first, but unfortunately I have to say the DM got worse over time, developing a certain DM-vs-Player mindset to name the worst problem, something that was not at all present during the Con.
Anyway, that mega-dungeon was really epic. ^^

Other awesome experiences I've had were in Neverwinter Nights playing on a persistent world, but I'm not sure if that counts.

Foustus
2011-03-21, 08:29 PM
I visited this site before many times to find info on homebrew and whatever I was curious about, finally decided to sign up and join the forums.

The best game I ever played though was my first, all my friends and I all got together to play for our first time. Everything wasn't very legit, and we learned as we went along. I new a good amount naturally, from playing Neverwinter Nights and other computer RPGs.

We created our own world, cities, etc. Even switching between DMs every week or so, and the game stretched on for like 6 months (we played at least once a week).

I played a wizard, who dreamed of becoming a lich, and through ill-legit reasons was eventually spliced into a mixture of maralith/xeph/human with the ability to transform into and age category of gold, black, and silver dragons via ultimate wishes granted by a wishing trident (my character was the keeper of it), which eventually became a demon prince in the abyss.

The trident granted mass power via 9 colossal turtles who were ancient guardians and protectors of the material plane. They payed the cost for our insane wishes, which led to the deaths of 8, the last one spared only because he was my character's friend (although he hated me after).

Another character went insane with time stop (granted by the trident) and killed himself, he was originally an elf and stayed the same apart from some crazy abilities before his death.

The next character was a human barbarian who was granted some sort of laser eye ability from the trident. He went on to build a city, and be its king.

The final character was a drow tiefling (we did not know of Fey'ri at the time), he was a ranger/monk who ascended into demon splicing as well as other variations. He partnered with my character to become demon princes together.

We did experience really bad until 4 months into it, the problem was the DMs "custom homebrew XP system" which was disbanded after we gained 900 XP from killing the Tarasque at around level 13 (do to our crazy ill-legit abilities from the trident).

The party was generally evil and out to get each other, our characters constantly turned on each other for power and greed.

It was completely ill-legit but its was the funnest experience ever (so many laughs and so much epicness), this set up the world for following parties who dealt with the aftershock of our first characters and even hearing legends and knowing of the barbarian king who was apart of those crazy times. The following parties were far more legit.

stabbitty death
2011-03-21, 08:32 PM
my favorite session was just recently. we had 8 players all good freinds of mine. so big confrontation with bandits (like 30 of them:smalleek:) well, this may or may not be the last session with these characters. so my avenger uses his encounter power avenging echo it deals 5 damage to every enemy who attacks me until the end of my next turn. I'm the only one in los. I was intending to be a matyrbut the dice gods themselves intervened out of all 30 only 2 hit! so i lived to fight again. another char imiediatly exclaimed "hail pelor!" it was my irl birthday too!:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: they turned out to be minions

McSmack
2011-03-21, 09:11 PM
Best game I've played was an old 3.0 game. We had an elven ranger, a halfling bard, a human sorcerer, a dwarven cleric and my halfling psion - Roscoe.
Roscoe specialized in Psychoportation and due to a 20 Dexterity score and the Inertial Armor feat I was rocking a 20 AC in my underoos. Due to random player stupidity, I ended up trading some Psionic tattoos for a +1 Acid dagger and a pair of red silk pajamas of fire resistance 5. Taking a page of of Hef's book, this is all my halfling would wear.
As time went on and we progressed towards higher levels we got involved in a huge gladiatorial battle in an extraplanar city, trying to get an artifact that was part of the champion's purse.

After our first bout, we noticed all the money changing hands. We figured since it was basically win or die, there was no reason not to let all our money ride on us. We'd fix the fights so that we'd barely win each time. Then come through at the end when things looked bleak. This kept our odds up and our purses fat. The GM, realizing he had made a terrible mistake, decided that just about anything could be found and bought in this giant city, but that finding what you wanted would take time, which we didn't have. Pretty soon we were decked out in near epic gear and destroying everything he put us up against. Hugh Hefner the halfling ended up with an admiral's hat, an airship, and his own plane (consisting of a large estate with an even larger harem.) and a cool 12 million gp in the basement.

Good times!

togapika
2011-03-21, 10:28 PM
The game I played was a hardcore version of this. We all have ridiculous disabilities which made playing much harder, but great fun.

I would so totally play Mind Quad in this game!

Tyndmyr
2011-03-21, 10:31 PM
The best game I ever played was the one that ended up with the paladin going on a killing spree with his army of justice, setting the decks awash with innocent blood and forcing me to end it all in a wave of fire, which left the party marooned on an island in the midst of nowhere.

I'd never played a game where the paladin resorted to murder to stop the evil people from saving innocent lives before.

NichG
2011-03-21, 11:09 PM
I'm currently playing in the best game of D&D I've ever played, a campaign called Omega Pointe. Though I'm not sure if it can be called D&D anymore. The plot is roughly broken down into three arcs so far, where each arc has revealed another layer of the cosmos that was previously hidden. At the beginning of the campaign we were instructed to come up with any character concept we could imagine from any setting we wanted, and then render a Lv5 version of that character in D&D (well, more like 'any d20 system' with the option to go beyond even that via collaborative homebrew with the DM).

We ended up with:

Mandeep, a 7th legion teleporter from the Trinity setting
O'Brien and Seebach, a pair of Stargate officers
Captain Anna Zucharai, a 17th century pirate queen
Silvius, a World of Warcraft shaman
Palinestra, a drow from a custom setting (written by the player)
Mistress Jane, a Wheel of Time Aes Sedai
Medovan, a true (as opposed to technical) pacifist character from a custom setting
Jeric Reskin, a jedi
Mardyr (my character) a former Norse-inspired deity who had been fated to die by the hand of his wife's sister in Ragnarok.

And later:
Joseph Prager, a WoD vampire
Allison Crowley, a normal college-aged girl from Earth

If you don't want to read the long game summaries, the gist of 'why this is the best game I've been in' is that everything, even things that look like just cheesy tricks or random GM whims or even oddities in the rules of D&D, has a hidden explanation that can be pursued, and often these hidden explanations have led to discovering things about the game cosmology and advancing the plot. It's the only campaign I've been in when I've been able to use every piece of information I receive from the DM with the assumption that it was done intentionally.

For example, we've uncovered giant cosmological secrets by investigating the inconsistency of the food supply situation of a metropolis in an anime-themed universe (because there's not nearly enough farmland in an anime world to support the sprawling mega-cities it tends to have). Another case was that we figured that Earth was somehow a more fundamental part of the universe than other worlds by noticing that we kept running into elements of Earth culture, and that an anomalously high number of characters were either from Earth or from a TV show that aired on earth (e.g., the Stargate characters had seen Star Wars and constantly joked about the 'Jedi').

The plot follows, as a series of walls-of-text.

Arc 1:

We each get an intro in which we see our universe be consumed by some virulent darkness that blots out the stars. The planet we're on basically rips itself apart as some sort of black tower rises from its core. We each interact with this event in various ways (pulling out a bottle of rum and drinking until the end comes, fleeing across the universe in a star ship until the darkness catches up, flying into the darkness to fight it, etc).

Regardless, we wake up in graves, with tombstones above them bearing our names. We find ourselves on a stone island about a mile across floating in a pitch black void. There's a guy by a campfire who has lost his memory, but knows the few sites on the island: an old mansion, a strange pylon on a nearly disconnected region, and a bunch of fallen columns. We go and explore and find that the pylon has, in what seems to be every language, the legend 'Sacrifice of soul to restore the world'. We find that by putting 'soul' (xp) into the pylon, buildings rise up out of the ruins on the island. Among other things, we find a tavern with seemingly infinite stock in food and drink, that can provide any foodstuff you ask for (at one point while testing its limits I was able to get Jormungandr flank steak, and even one of my own meals from my past, which I then retroactively remembered having had stolen from me by a surprisingly potent bartender), a clocktower that runs from 1 to 17, a smithy where items can be made, etc. Among other things, a young boy shows up who can make a portal to anything (really really anything) but which usually has a twist.

Thus it begins. We journey to all sorts of places, encounter strange beings called Asura that seem to be associated with the 'end event' that destroyed our (and all other) universes, and so on. Evidently we're supposed to fight these Asura one by one, and then finally fight some epic final battle to restore the lost cosmoses.

So far, it sounds like a crazy crossover campaign (which it is) with a lot of videogamey aspects (like the purchaseable building upgrades, the villain list with final boss, etc).

The thing that makes this the best campaign I've been in is that when I noticed these things in character and got the party to pursue it, we started to find holes. We found an Asura who didn't want to fight us, and seemed to be being compelled to do so. After he spilled some information, something called a Daemon showed up to basically 'correct' the situation. We found more and more holes: signs that the portals we were going through didn't lead to existing places, they were creating the places as we asked for them.
When we basically stated our intent to not fight the Asura, but instead to try to free them, we started attracting the attention of various monitors like the Daemon, or other things. We also discover that for some reason we're heavily laden with prime numbers - in our DNA, in our underlying physics, everywhere, we have far more prime numbers than statistics suggests should be there.

Eventually, after we had recruited several of the Asura, an external force tried to provoke us into going into the final battle against the 'end boss'. Instead, we got our allied Asura to attempt to create an information probe to pierce the walls of the cosmos and look beyond, and had him fire it off.

We woke up in a set of tubes, weak and confused, with one of our allies saying 'Thank goodness I got to you in time! Here's what's really happening' and it turns out that the game thing was spot on: we were AIs designed to create content for a video game sold by a megacorp in this place, a megacorp that basically owned all of the world's IP (thus the crazy mish-mash of settings and characters is explained!). But that there was a hidden sinister purpose behind our genesis, that we were designed to crack some kind of unbreakable code.

End of arc 1

Arc 2:

Now in what is ostensibly the 'real world', we're soft and squishy compared to the walking gods we had been before. We flee and try to take advantage of our AI nature to hack back into the system and find out whats going on. Things go like this for awhile, but we find strange bits of information that don't quite fit. We find a physical analogue of something from the game - a great gate that was supposed to lead to the final battle - in an archeological dig in Mesopotamia. We find that players of the game are occasionally dropping into comas in the real world, and that they're then showing up as permanent NPCs in the game world. At one point, Medovan is threatened and nearly dead and something happens where he manifests one of his powers from the game in the real world.

So things continue and we discover that the game wasn't exactly a game, but some conceptually distinct set of universes within a greater cosmology (that includes the 'real world'). And now evidently Hell is using us as some sort of computational engine to try to hack the gates to Heaven. The place the game exists in was a cosmological void created by destroying everything that was there, so that time could be made mutable without a frame of reference and therefore could be used to generate massive computing power.
Things still keep up with the computational and Judeo-Christian themes, as we encounter the Tree of Binary Data (the in-cosmos analogue of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil) whose fruit allows one to evaluate the reality level of the thing they're seeing. We discover that the Internet is a physical place in this cosmos, and so on.

We then discover that the current 'Heaven' is basically the home realm of the current holder of the Lightning Throne, and that there have been several in the past, each who has rendered the universe in his own theme. The recurring Judeo-Christian themes are because the current holder is the entity that Earth culture identified as Jehova, though he's gone missing without properly passing the throne to the next candidate. Furthermore it appears that the reason we can open the gate is because we've been chosen by the remaining servant of Jehova to be managers of the succession: we can choose the next candidate for the throne or try to take it ourselves if we like.

We end up accidentally releasing a former regent from his prison, as he evidently did some pretty horrible things, and make a rush for the throne to get it or at least get someone tolerable on it before he does. In a photo finish, Medovan ends up with the throne having been the first to touch it under a dogpile of two or three cosmic entities and a couple party members. However, as an ill advised distraction tactic, Reskin has released something truly awful from its prison, a cosmic force (called Spiral, ironically) of corrupted growth that basically makes things immortal but unable to heal or recover from things, so they end up suffering increasingly.

We're now the front line against Spiral, but we start to realize that something is up when we figure out that Spiral can't be destroyed, only transferred. So if we kill the head honcho of Spiral, it just explodes out over the multiverse. It looks like something is manipulating us again, so we look into this. In the process we discover and release a being who predated the whole Lightning Throne system, who used to work for another entity who seems to get his jollies messing with universes and setting up one horrible threat after another to see what people within will do. Evidently he's trying to see if the universe is capable of producing people with the capacity for infinite growth, so he puts bigger and bigger tests in their way.

We sit on this knowledge for a bit, try to delay fighting Spiral, and do other such things. But at some point we do something that catches the guy's attention (basically, we 'accidentally' resurrect an entire former cosmos that had been destroyed by this entity) and he sends his goons to crush our multiverse. So we flee in a little ship made of the ashes of former dead universes, pretending to be just another bit of debris, and eventually wash up on the shores of a new multiverse.

End of arc 2

Arc 3

So we find ourselves in a new multiverse, which happens to be RIFTS. On the trip across the void, we learn that beings capable of infinite growth (Omegas) exist elsewhere, and are connected by a shared soul. However, the Corruptor (the guy who just destroyed our old multiverse) wants to destroy the Omegas because of the threat their infinite growth poses to the stability of everything. But good news, the Omega soul has taken us to a place far from the Corruptor's gaze where we can become even more powerful!

Okay, that flies for about three games. We do the math and realize that this Omega soul that is supposedly our shared being that is supporting us and trying to make us able to build a bright future for the cosmos and conquer the Corruptor probably constructed the multiverse we just came from - the gates of Heaven were even called Omega gates, and were tied to our Omega nature. That means that the Omega soul created a multiverse it knew would be destroyed, entirely for the purpose of creating us. So he's probably as bad as the Corruptor, and is probably going to turn on us at some point. We decide to do it first, and get our butts soul-drained in the process... shared soul, after all. In any event, we flee the multiverse (again) after Reskin sacrifices himself to try to erase the Omega entity from time (though in the end, both survive the event).

Now we find ourselves somewhat down-powered in an anime-themed multiverse. Reskin somehow washes up in a life pod, horribly drained from his former self but still alive. Hijinks ensure, including nearly destroying the Wheel of Reincarnation by accident. Mandeep is reborn as a baby and we steal his childhood from him so that he can continue to help us with what's going on. We explore for a bit and find some information about the Omega entity's origins and nature. Basically, we find out that there are four principals in the whole mess: the Omega entity, the Corruptor, one associated with determination whose universe we're in, and one associated with peace and knowledge who we haven't encountered yet. And the gist we get is that these were basically the equivalent of an 8 bit theatre style party (with the Omega entity as Red Mage) that killed and looted entire multiverses until the inter-party conflict tore them apart. But the information comes in the form of a prophecy that in their future they'd face some weird thing that they couldn't deal with, with the general implication that it'd be bad for everyone if they lost.

So we think 'hey, lets hold a tournament and attract the guy who runs this place to talk with him'. We realize that any such tournament would probably destroy the place its held, so we sneak back to Omega Pointe in the RIFTS universe to steal the old arena we had (whose walls were pretty durable back in the day). The Omega entity notices us, mostly because we can't keep things simple, and Mandeep fights a successful one-on-one timed duel against it using a trick to not die for a minute. The fight involves such highlights as the 'Baleful Enlightenment' attack that temporarily raises Mandeep's wisdom to the thousands to try to force him to attain Nirvana.

But in the end, it says that its proud of us for learning to use such cheesy tactics (while still trying to kill us), but some of our allies run interference by dumping shards of the Corruptor (which he can see through) into the Omega soul itself, and then we do something with a random soulgem we had made that explodes us free of that universe by catastrophically combining the energies of the four primary forces of the cosmos. So we end up with our own little baby universe that is now a fifth fundamental force, the merger of the four, and we find that all four are now trying to be all buddy-buddy with us. Evidently whatever we just created is really good to be friends with.

We continue with the tournament plan, though we intentionally suppress our own power levels to avoid steamrolling the competition that we had invited before becoming the fifth power of the cosmos. This is all well and good, except that one of the guys in the tournament is clearly way beyond our paygrade - easily comparable to the Omega entity itself. We discover by following the fish market in Shinjuku (seriously) that the cosmos is dynamically generated as we look at it, and that that's some special feature of what we were created to be. Evidently the goal of all of this was to create some sort of critical information density to make this cosmos the predominantly actualized one, and that the things the Four are supposed to fight in the future is beings from un-actualized cosmoses who, due to their high improbability, can essentially do the impossible and thus are hard to fight without some kind of advantage from being actualized. Oh, and we discover just too late that the super-combatant in our Tournament is one of those un-actualized entities, and whoops, we've just freed him in the final match thanks to the method Reskin used to defeat him.

And thats where we are right now.

Whew. I think it might be impossible to actually communicate the plot of this campaign in a cogent way in the space of a post. There's a highly-detailed campaign wiki where you can see some of the craziness: http://omegapointe.wikispaces.com

Zolkabro
2011-03-22, 01:08 PM
A bit more about my best D&D game:

I actually really enjoyed being a caster who could only cast cantrips. Usually, being a really powerful caster sometimes gets a bit: "Zap! He's dead. Zap! He's dead. Zap! He's on fire. Who wants to die next?"
But with this, I had to use my weak spells quite inventively to solve puzzles, and I still managed to single-handedly kick ass, but in a much harder, and often more enjoyable way.

Some examples:

Our DM had a habit of making Golems out of ridiculous things. One session, he leaned back in his chair, grinned, and said that he had a very hard fight for us today. We were in a rubbish dump, and out of the earth rose a huge Golem of Rotting Food. Everyone immediately started trying to attack it, but they all failed. Eventually there was only me and the fighter left to have our turns. Everyone else had been almost ineffectual. The fighter used his magic boots to launch into the air, and he landed around the golem's shoulders. He put his arms around it's neck and tried to grapple with it, but the smell made him fall off.
So finally it was my turn. I sat back in my chair, looked the DM in the eye, and said: "Purify Food and Drink."
He opened and closed his mouth a few times, and then just said: "Oh."

(To understand this better, you need to know that the main villain was a human who asked to become a dragon, but he phrased the wish badly and became a dragon only on the outside. Bitter, he lashed out at the world.)
In the finalé, we were at the top of a mountain, and the DM had decided to give us a very hard moral decision. At the peak, there was a hole big enough for a humanoid to jump through. But in it, the DM warned, was a curse. anyone who jumped it would immedately become Colossal. Sounds good, right? Except that it would shatter much of the mountain, and the ensuing avalanche would kill thousands, including the person to jump in. The only survivors would be us (except for the person who jumped in) and the main villian. Once we had done this, the final bossfight would start.
We were told straight off: it cannot be dispelled, and there is no other way to get at the evil overlord inside. One of us has to go through.
And so, the arguements began. We were all roleplaying for this, all treating it as if one of us really would have too. Of course, none of us volunteered, so fingers started to point and people started to shout. After a while of this, I called for quiet. I then addressed the DM.
"DM," I said. "I cast Create Water into the hole. The water becomes colossal size, but is channeled into the cave at the bottom where the main villain lives. This would not happen to one of us, because we could be too big to fit through, but the water could go throught the hole."
The DM was confused. "How does this get you into the cave?" he asked.
"It doesn't." I replied. "But you have told us things about this villain. The cave has absolutely no exits other than the hole the water would come in. The beasts wings do not work work. You said the sides of the mountain were unbreakable. And as only the outside of the beast was transformed, he must still need the same things to survive. Am I correct so far?"
"Well, yes, but-" The DM stopped speaking as realization dawned across his face. "Oh no. You didn't."
Everyone else immediately aksed us what had happened. I turned to them.
"I cast Create Water, and the main villain gets drowned. No way out. And nobody else dies."
Everyone started grinning and laughing except for the DM, who was kind of pissed that I had ruined his finalé. But he came round in the end, and we all had a laugh about it.
But what I love about this is, did I win that fight with some amazingly powerful epic spell that I had invented myself? With some special ability that dates before time itself? By summoning an almighty being to help us? Nope. I used a cantrip.

Qwertystop
2011-03-22, 04:31 PM
I'd never played a game where the paladin resorted to murder to stop the evil people from saving innocent lives before.

Siggy? Pleeeeease?

Flavel
2011-03-22, 07:16 PM
I was in a game where we found an artifact called the Emperor's Fan. I think the DM lifted the idea from somewhere. Basically, you wave the fan and the person you waved at disappears into the fan <no save>.

To release people from the fan involved some sort of tapping, flicking motion with the fan against wrists. The catch being that it doesn't release one person but whole groups of people or monsters.

For instance, a certain series of taps & flicks would release every dragon that had ever been trapped by the fan.... Oh yeah, and the fan has been around for a very long time.

So we are goofing around with the fan trying to release one of our party member that got sucked into it through bone-headed experimentation and we somehow release every wizard that had been trapped into it. Completely filled the cavern with very angry wizards who, only a moment before, were hell bent on killing whoever had the fan.

The party member who had the fan reacted instantly by throwing the fan into midsts the wizards and ran the other way. One of the wizards yelled, "I got it!" just as he got slammed with a dozen fireballs and other spells.

Absolute anarchy as the ceiling begins to collapse from all the fireworks.

Artifacts...I fear em.