PDA

View Full Version : most important characteristic of a super hero?

randomhero00
2011-03-21, 04:37 PM
IMO its the ability to sort of "never die" and always come back. Plot immunity basically. Plus they get up from nearly everything.

Would this translate to a game well?

note: never played M&M or the other super hero games.

hivedragon
2011-03-21, 04:40 PM
action points?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-03-21, 04:45 PM
IMO its the ability to sort of "never die" and always come back. Plot immunity basically. Plus they get up from nearly everything.

Mutants and Masterminds (somewhat) solves this by having everything default to nonlethal damage. That way, the worst that happens is getting knocked out for a while. It does give the option to do lethal damage, though.

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-21, 06:47 PM
Most important characteristic of a super hero: actually being heroic.

You'd be surprised how often this gets ignored.

dsmiles
2011-03-21, 06:49 PM
Sorry, I'm more the antihero type.

As far as superheroes go, "Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the [insert country name here] way," goes a long way with me.

Kerrin
2011-03-21, 11:03 PM
Actually being heroic is tops on my list, followed by *why* they do heroic things, then by their meme and their powers.

Amnestic
2011-03-21, 11:09 PM
actually being heroic.

Emphatically 'this'.

A decent streak of hot-bloodedness doesn't hurt either :smallcool:

Gavinfoxx
2011-03-21, 11:41 PM
A Fantastic Origin. Something to protect. A weakness.

Jerthanis
2011-03-22, 01:49 AM
A superhero always has some issue relating to their Identity being swapped, morphed or shifted.

It could be the standard superhero trope of the secret identity, with a name and persona that defines their superhero self and a separate one for their civilian persona. Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Superman/Clark Kent ect.

Alternatively it can be a persona that becomes the character, a moniker or separate life that comes to embody the person. The first thing I can think of in this category would be the Metal Gear games, with characters becoming more closely associated with their animal totems, or having nicknames that stick more than their actual names. Snake, Colonel, Otacon, Ocelot, E.E., Grey Fox... even Akiba.

Aside from the theme of Identity, a superhero must have a personal responsibility in some way. He can't choose to sit on the sidelines, or let someone else take care of it. Essentially, Superheroes aren't wandering problemsolvers like D&D characters tend to be, where they hear about a problem, fix it, and leave. They're personally invested in the problem they are solving.

Finally, they must be recognizable to a good portion of the people who they might meet. To some degree, they live 'public' lives, for good or for ill. Another character who meets the superhero will have heard rumors, or have intelligence on what kind of person they're interacting with.

I think those are the three elements of a Superhero. If you put them all together, the result will be a Superhero story or so close to one it may as well be. Of the three, I'd say Identity is the one of chief importance.

When you asked "Would this translate to a game well?", did you mean "Would plot immunity translate into a game well?" ? Because that's relatively common in some games and game styles.

If you meant "Would your opinions on important superhero characteristics translate into a game well?" then my answer gets a little trickier. These issues largely have to do with the way the character is written by the player and how the plot is constructed, so it probably wouldn't manifest mechanically.

I disagree that plot immunity is a function of the Superhero mythology, much less the most important characteristic of that mythology... Plot immunity is a function of ongoing stories following a centralized character or group of characters. If you've ever watched long-running Soap Operas or Professional Wrestling, you'll see a lot of the same death/ressurection scenarios you'd see in comic books because they're also telling ongoing stories, not because Soaps are actually superhero stories.

Crossblade
2011-03-22, 02:19 AM

Being an anti-hero and being a villain are two different things. What was implied by "being heroic" is the 'I'm playing Chaotic Neutral, so I can be in the Good alignment game' argument. (With all the implied actions of the chaotic stupid alignment actually being played)

So ya...

Super Heros actually being Good Guys.

Most important trait right there. Wolverine may smoke, give Cyclops the finger, drink, and be rude... but he'll always put his life on the line for an orphanage school bus full of kids. AntiHeros are still Heros. They're just not good role models, bub.

dsmiles
2011-03-22, 05:05 AM
Being an anti-hero and being a villain are two different things. What was implied by "being heroic" is the 'I'm playing Chaotic Neutral, so I can be in the Good alignment game' argument. (With all the implied actions of the chaotic stupid alignment actually being played)No argument here. Antiheroes and villains are two different monsters.

So ya...

Super Heros actually being Good Guys.

Most important trait right there. Wolverine may smoke, give Cyclops the finger, drink, and be rude... but he'll always put his life on the line for an orphanage school bus full of kids. AntiHeros are still Heros. They're just not good role models, bub.Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh...I don't really consider Wolverine to be an antihero (even though he's on the wikipedia list of antiheroes, but anybody can edit wikipedia). He's definitely more of a hero. I'm thinking more along the lines of Rorschach, V, Grendel, and other, similarly evil-aligned types that (frequently, but not always) end up working for the greater good.

Pyrite
2011-03-22, 06:44 AM
What I consistently have had issues with is getting players to play superhero characters who are not entirely self-interested. Maybe it's just the people I seem to end up playing with, but personal ambition, looking out for number 1, endless scheming, or just being the biggest badass in the room seem to be more what my players have trended toward.

Maybe I need to consider running a Supervillains game instead... hmm...

Earthwalker
2011-03-22, 08:09 AM

I have to agree, one things your comic book heros have in resolve.
A true hero stands up and carries on even when he is not able to.

It would be good to include this mechanic in a game, as well as allowing a world of cardboard speach to refresh your resolve.

"That man won't quit as long as he can still draw a breath. None of my teammates will. Me? I've got a different problem. I feel like I live in a world made of... cardboard, always taking constant care not to break something, to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't you, big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am."

Delwugor
2011-03-22, 02:32 PM
Most important characteristic of a super hero: actually being heroic.
You win!
For me its the ability to just do wonky stuff, powers, stunts whatever.
I also like playing weaknesses and emotional/personal issues with being a super.

As far as lethality, of the 3 super games I've been in 2 of them have had some form of lethality. Both times the players asked for it to be removed and both times the different GMs kept it. Both times it has gotten in the way of the game, I just don't get it. :smallfrown:

Prime32
2011-03-23, 09:34 AM
Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh...I don't really consider Wolverine to be an antihero (even though he's on the wikipedia list of antiheroes, but anybody can edit wikipedia). He's definitely more of a hero. I'm thinking more along the lines of Rorschach, V, Grendel, and other, similarly evil-aligned types that (frequently, but not always) end up working for the greater good.The early definition of anti-hero was "someone who is not a handsome boy scout in a world of black-and-white morality." Plus Wolverine was created with terrible people skills, short, smelly, randomly lashing at out at both friends and enemies, but then Draco in Leather Pants set in.

Case in point: Wolverine and the X-Men. Where he's the insightful leader of the team.

cattoy
2011-03-23, 11:55 PM
The word super hero has two parts, and you need to satisfy both halves of the definition.

You need to be super. You need to be better than human at something. If you aren't, then you can still be a hero. But you can't be a super hero.

You need to be a hero. This is a more subtle definition because 'hero' is a gift word. You can't declare yourself a hero, somebody else has to do that. If you keep doing the right things for the right reasons, it will happen.

Flickerdart
2011-03-24, 12:21 AM
A superhero has to have an action figure line. Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising!

Jerthanis
2011-03-24, 01:40 AM
Case in point: Wolverine and the X-Men. Where he's the insightful leader of the team.

That show just offends me because it contains a scene where unshaven Cyclops in a long coat refuses to participate in the X-Men for petty and personal reasons while Wolverine tries to appeal to his better nature before getting a violent brush off.

I was practically throwing things at the TV saying, "These characters are backwards!"

Why does everyone hate Cyclops if they keep trying to make Wolverine into him? I find the third Wolverine movie far less offensive if I just assume they didn't mention some random psychic accident where the two of them had their minds swapped. (I'm the one guy in the world whose favorite X-man is Cyclops)

The word super hero has two parts, and you need to satisfy both halves of the definition.

You need to be super. You need to be better than human at something. If you aren't, then you can still be a hero. But you can't be a super hero.

I think superhuman capability is a major part of being a superhero, but I believe there is a narrow field available for Superhero stories about non-superhuman people. Much broader is the field of superpowers without being superheroes. D&D for instance is about people with superhuman capabilities who travel around doing good deeds (sometimes), yet wouldn't be called a Superhero story, yet a certain retelling of Robin Hood could well cast him as a Superhero of sorts.

I'd call superpowers a strong indicator, but not a definitive aspect.

Sacrieur
2011-03-24, 02:24 AM
The thing about playing M&M or in any superhero world is that it is filled with superheroes. Superman seems practically invincible, but he did die once. It is really unfair to compare the typical superhero to superman... He is just too bloody strong.

Batman is my favorite superhero, but he isn't necessarily heroic. I feel this justice, honor, and truth thing has been stretched WAY too far for superheroes, and they need to relax. Captain Atom is a lackey for the military, who knows the terrible things that he has done, yet he is still considered a superhero.

---

Then there is the Hulk and Iron Man and Wolverine. They're not exactly what I call heroic.

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-24, 05:27 AM

You need to be a hero. This is a more subtle definition because 'hero' is a gift word. You can't declare yourself a hero, somebody else has to do that. If you keep doing the right things for the right reasons, it will happen.

Have you ever heard of Batman.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-24, 05:30 AM

As far as superheroes go, "Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the [insert country name here] way," goes a long way with me.
Just because your an anti-hero doesn't mean you can't be heroic. If anything, it adds to the contrast. Of course, if your idea of "anti-hero" is Dark Age Leifeldian, Pouch Wearing, Ultra Violent, Extreem Kool Letterz, Freudian Gun Toting "anti heroes" whose only differance between them and the villains is whose name is on the cover, then I guess there is a bit of a difference.
I like heroes that enjoy their powers and abilities, there ability to help others in way many people can't. Example? Power Girl. That woman enjoys being a superhero, she doesn't get all depressed and broody, she smiles while she flies. My favourite moments of the first Spiderman movie were his love of simply swinging through New York.
Not that angst doesn't have it's place, but too much heavy makes it all feel pointless.

Bogardan_Mage
2011-03-26, 03:01 AM
Charles Atlas Superpowers (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharlesAtlasSuperpower) are still superpowers.

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-26, 03:06 AM
Why does everyone hate Cyclops if they keep trying to make Wolverine into him? I find the third Wolverine movie far less offensive if I just assume they didn't mention some random psychic accident where the two of them had their minds swapped. (I'm the one guy in the world whose favorite X-man is Cyclops)

Actually, you're one of two guys. I'm the other one, ahaha.

Anyway, what is it to be a hero? Is it doing the Right Thing, all the time? Or at least trying?

Case in point: Spider-Man. He's had a terrible life, but he has never once come close to falling (good thing, too - every time he's gone up against the X-men, they've been beaten badly).

Also, Superman. An incredibly powerful sense of justice and the self-control to never cut the world in half with his eyeballs by accident.

Your heroicness, apparently, tends to depend on the people who raised you. Which I guess makes a lot of sense.

Denomar
2011-03-26, 03:26 AM
The most common unifying trait amongst superheroes nowadays is willpower. They're usually shown to just stand up for what they believe in and not quit no matter the cost. The willingness to see things through is what separates the truly heroic from the chaff for me.

I think Mr Rogers says it better than me though.

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."

Jay R
2011-03-26, 10:23 AM
Heroism. Standing for the right. I don't care whether you say "Truth, Justice, and the American Way", or "Liberté, égalité, fraternité," or "No evil shall escape my sight," or even "With Sweet Polly in trouble I am not slow; it's hip, hip, hip, and away I go." But believe in it, with every fiber of your being.

I was in a Champions game once with other players who didn't agree with this. When somebody would do something tactically helpful but not very nice, I would ask, "Can we be the good guys?"

Tyndmyr
2011-03-26, 10:29 AM

He's the worlds greatest detective, a multibillionare, and a world class martial artist. I think the word "super" applies.

Samurai Jill
2011-03-26, 02:43 PM

Haven't played it myself, but With Great Power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Great_Power...) might be worth checking out.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-26, 06:04 PM
Haven't played it myself, but With Great Power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Great_Power...) might be worth checking out.
I would like to see a gadget superhero who makes stuff in a GARAGE . . .with a BOX of SCRAPS.

Flickerdart
2011-03-26, 06:06 PM
I would like to see a gadget superhero who makes stuff in a GARAGE . . .with a BOX of SCRAPS.
Not in a cave? :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-26, 06:15 PM
Not in a cave? :smalltongue:

Nope, I may have twisted the meme, but I mean a literally middle/lower class superhero who has to make do with stuff that looks like, and probably did, get welded out of stuff from a junkyard in their garage. They don't have the Big Money or Sponsorships of other superheroes, they have to do with skill and a sense of justice.

Urpriest
2011-03-26, 09:59 PM
What's right can vary, however.

I'd say the defining trait of superheroes is pastiche: a superhero never comes from a world of pure Tolkienesque fantasy, or pure futuristic Sci-Fi. The world is always a place where multiple different themes interact, often largely unself-consciously, and the hero represents, if anything, an everyman in between those various themes.

I guess part of my issue is that I think of deconstructions of superheros as the defining works of the genre.

Amnestic
2011-03-27, 08:40 PM

Hell yeah (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Amnestic/page2captainamerica.jpg?t=1301276341) :smallcool:

Sacrieur
2011-03-27, 10:12 PM
Actually, you're one of two guys. I'm the other one, ahaha.

Anyway, what is it to be a hero? Is it doing the Right Thing, all the time? Or at least trying?

Case in point: Spider-Man. He's had a terrible life, but he has never once come close to falling (good thing, too - every time he's gone up against the X-men, they've been beaten badly).

Also, Superman. An incredibly powerful sense of justice and the self-control to never cut the world in half with his eyeballs by accident.

Your heroicness, apparently, tends to depend on the people who raised you. Which I guess makes a lot of sense.

Pre-crisis superman, anyway. Right now Superman, as according to canon, is still bloody strong, not coincidently split the world in half strong, but bloody strong. In his own words... Well here, just watch it for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywo6F4xYTvA.

@Amnestic: Completely offtopic, but your avatar reminds of a girl I used to have a crush on =P

Amnestic
2011-03-27, 10:42 PM
@Amnestic: Completely offtopic, but your avatar reminds of a girl I used to have a crush on =P

If you had a crush like this (http://sky7anime.net/files/anime_images/haruhi_suzumiya_vector_by_leek128.jpg), I'm not surprised she was a crush :smallamused:

Sacrieur
2011-03-27, 11:38 PM
If you had a crush like this (http://sky7anime.net/files/anime_images/haruhi_suzumiya_vector_by_leek128.jpg), I'm not surprised she was a crush :smallamused:

If you drew an anime caricature of her, it'd pretty much be that =P

Prime32
2011-03-28, 10:07 AM
...I'm sorry for you, Kyon. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HaruhiSuzumiya)

Ravens_cry
2011-03-28, 04:43 PM
What's right can vary, however.

I'd say the defining trait of superheroes is pastiche: a superhero never comes from a world of pure Tolkienesque fantasy, or pure futuristic Sci-Fi. The world is always a place where multiple different themes interact, often largely unself-consciously, and the hero represents, if anything, an everyman in between those various themes.

I guess part of my issue is that I think of deconstructions of superheros as the defining works of the genre.
It's funny WHAT you say what you say about pastiche and then deconstruction. The Watchmen and Dark Night Returns, along with being comic books, would be considered purely science fiction if they fit any genre beyond the, I admit nebulous, genre of superhero comics. There is very little that is fantastical about them that doesn't at least try to explain itself in (pseudo) scientific terms, especially Watchmen.

Urpriest
2011-03-28, 06:48 PM
It's funny WHAT you say what you say about pastiche and then deconstruction. The Watchmen and Dark Night Returns, along with being comic books, would be considered purely science fiction if they fit any genre beyond the, I admit nebulous, genre of superhero comics. There is very little that is fantastical about them that doesn't at least try to explain itself in (pseudo) scientific terms, especially Watchmen.

Well fantasy isn't the only genre getting pastiched in here. First, you'll note that Watchmen, while perhaps pure sci-fi, has elements that wouldn't appear in other sci-fi works. A world that can contain both Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias, for example, is a world that has two very different reigning themes about how power can be achieved. They're perhaps scientifically consistent with eachother, but not terribly thematically consistent.

Second, sci-fi generally doesn't have individual characters at that level of prominence who are also that personally involved in the world. The fact that, for example, Dr. Manhattan walked around personally in Vietnam, feels like an example of a fantastic influence, just in the plot/backstory instead of in the world-building. Superhero works naturally screw with genre conventions, really, creating characters that would feel implausible in other works. Now that I think about it, perhaps the only thing that separates the deconstructions from the straight superhero works is that the former is intentionally a pastiche, while the latter is unintentional.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-28, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry I am not seen that. Star Trek has everyone from Nog to Q. Babylon 5 had human thief to Vorlons and Shadows. And that's just TV, literature has had even more extreme cases.
Dr. Manhatten was in fact the only thing that made it science fiction and not strict alternate history, his presence a "what if?" factor, what if there was a human who received near-divine powers, but only one, and he actively worked for one side during the Cold War. How would it affect the world, how would it affect the human?

invinible
2011-03-29, 10:39 AM
To me: Being willing to lay your life/afterlife/unlife down for a cause or causes you believe in without either being destined to do so or cause the problems associated with that/those cause(s) in the first place; all without being hire to do so.

Jerthanis
2011-03-29, 05:02 PM

I'm not sure this is true. I might need you to better define what you mean by "pure Tolkienesque fantasy" and "pure futuristic Sci-Fi", because I sort of think that the fact that there has not yet been a published superhero story in these 'pure' genres doesn't mean that such a thing is impossible.

Second... I'm not sure one hasn't yet been such a story published. I didn't actually finish the book before I lost it, but R. A. Salvatore's "The Highwayman" was, as far as I recall, a pure Fantasy superhero story.

To me: Being willing to lay your life/afterlife/unlife down for a cause or causes you believe in without either being destined to do so or cause the problems associated with that/those cause(s) in the first place; all without being hire to do so.

This seems to be a good indicator, but I might take issue with the idea that they can't have caused the problems they would fix. Would you call Cole McGrath (if played as a Hero) from inFamous a superhero? Because he was directly or indirectly responsible for most of what went wrong that he had to clean up.

The main conflict of the last act of Megamind was about undoing a mistake he made earlier in the movie... and it's pretty clear that was a story about a superhero. In fact, the idea that the superhero feels responsible for the bad things which happen is a frequent motivator for them, so I think the hero causing the problems he fixes is totally kosher for a superhero story.

invinible
2011-03-30, 02:13 AM
I'm not sure this is true. I might need you to better define what you mean by "pure Tolkienesque fantasy" and "pure futuristic Sci-Fi", because I sort of think that the fact that there has not yet been a published superhero story in these 'pure' genres doesn't mean that such a thing is impossible.

Second... I'm not sure one hasn't yet been such a story published. I didn't actually finish the book before I lost it, but R. A. Salvatore's "The Highwayman" was, as far as I recall, a pure Fantasy superhero story.

This seems to be a good indicator, but I might take issue with the idea that they can't have caused the problems they would fix. Would you call Cole McGrath (if played as a Hero) from inFamous a superhero? Because he was directly or indirectly responsible for most of what went wrong that he had to clean up.

The main conflict of the last act of Megamind was about undoing a mistake he made earlier in the movie... and it's pretty clear that was a story about a superhero. In fact, the idea that the superhero feels responsible for the bad things which happen is a frequent motivator for them, so I think the hero causing the problems he fixes is totally kosher for a superhero story.

No, I wouldn't call Cole McGrath a superhero as he caused the problems. I would either call him a false hero for setting things up so he can take care of them like Major Man does in Power Puff Girls or a hero by guilt like Spider-man is portray as at the beginning of his career when Uncle Ben is killed because of his inaction to stop a robber that he could have so easily stopped but didn't feel it was his problem as the place the guy robbed didn't give Spider-man the winnings he felt he earn based on their advertising.

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-30, 07:58 AM
Heroes can be motivated by guilt. Feeling guilt is actually a mark of a heroic individual - it's the people who don't feel guilty that you have to worry about.

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-30, 08:52 AM
Heroes can be motivated by guilt. Feeling guilt is actually a mark of a heroic individual - it's the people who don't feel guilty that you have to worry about.

Ah-ha, that's actually a pretty good point.

What would you consider more heroic? A person who saves lives because he'll feel bad if people die, or a person who saves lives because it's the Right Thing to Do?

Jerthanis
2011-03-31, 03:14 PM
No, I wouldn't call Cole McGrath a superhero as he caused the problems.

Well, I would call inFamous unmistakably a superhero story. Heck, people call him a superhero within the game. It's billed as a Superhero game and everyone calls it a Superhero game.

From 1-Up.com, "A superhero-themed third-person action game from Sucker Punch, published by SCEA"

From Gamespot, "It's not easy being a superhero, but it is an absolute blast"

IGN compared it with Spider-Man 2, saying, "Of course, it (Spider-Man 2) also had a bunch of problems, but it at least gave the world a glimpse of what a superhero game could be." and "Five years later, Sucker Punch has dusted of [sic] that blueprint and improved the hell out of it."

I'm not saying that Cole IS a superhero because a lot of people think of Cole as a Superhero, since that's a fallacy. I would argue that the hero being responsible for the bad stuff that he then must fix doesn't disqualify them from being thought of as a Superhero. I present the fact that many other people DO think of inFamous as a superhero story as my evidence.

And what about Megamind? Would you not call that a superhero story either? Because he causes the thing he has to fix also, and if he's not a superhero, then I don't know what is.

gbprime
2011-03-31, 03:29 PM
Well the thing that defines a superhero is having the ability to respond to real life events with unreal or paranormal powers.

But this is NOT why we like them. The heroes that resonate with us do so because we can connect with them on an emotional level. They have the tragic flaw that we can relate to, they uphold our moral ideal or bring it into sharp contrast, they force us to examine ourselves.

Cool powers are cool, but that's not what rivets us to the stories. A superhero RPG will live or die on how the game mechanics reproduce those powers, but the defining characteristic of a superhero... the struggle of morality... is entirely up to the game master to inject, and cannot be well defined in terms of rules.

Oh, and plug to Hero System. Champions is the way to go for superhero RPGS... has been for over 20 years. Character creation is rough, but game mechanics and play are simple and awesome.

Velaryon
2011-03-31, 03:47 PM
The most common unifying trait amongst superheroes nowadays is willpower. They're usually shown to just stand up for what they believe in and not quit no matter the cost. The willingness to see things through is what separates the truly heroic from the chaff for me.

Hell yeah (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Amnestic/page2captainamerica.jpg?t=1301276341) :smallcool:

Oh! That makes so much more sense! For a moment there I was thinking you were referring to this guy (http://www.wiredforbooks.org/images/FredRogers4.jpg). And really, imagine him saying that instead. It's much funnier. :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-31, 04:06 PM
Fred Rogers is a superhero. He may wear a button up/zip up sweater and soft shoes, but the man is superhero.:smallsmile:

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-31, 04:08 PM
No.

Fred Rogers is no superhero.

He's something far, far more. He's a vortex of kindness, a black hole of bigheartedness. No hate can survive for long in his proximity.

Volthawk
2011-03-31, 04:22 PM
He can also beat everyone in a fight. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBK31tC5QM)

Ravens_cry
2011-03-31, 04:48 PM
True, but he wouldn't need a sword. he would just need to tell you that you are truly special. The fight would be over before the song began.